Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Wali Info Sticky Notes/"Doing things properly"

(Read 2872 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Wali Info Sticky Notes/"Doing things properly"
     OP - February 17, 2015, 05:30 AM

So one of my facebook friends posted this picture, with this caption: "SINGLE SISTERS- I think you'll like these. They could definitely come in handy if you don't want to stick around and talk to someone. It sends a clear signal that you want to do things properly! Check out the rest of her shop too. I love her stuff."

(Be patient; I don't know how to upload a picture so I might not get it right first try)

I find this super condescending. I know it was made by a woman, and that a lot of women probably think this way. And there is a sort of truth to the fact that most guys won't stop chatting you up until you say something that essentially means, "I'm someone else's property." But you're not someone's property, and continuing the belief that you are, and that only by getting married through a property transaction where one owner transfers you to another can you "do things properly", doesn't help anyone. You have the right to do things yourself, including make decisions about who you want to spend time with; if that includes the guy chatting you up, cool; if it doesn't, also cool, just tell him you're not interested. And at that point he needs to go away. And if he doesn't, slug him.  finmad

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #1 - February 17, 2015, 05:39 AM

So you're suggesting physical violence because you feel uncomfortable with a guy talking to you? Huh?
     Reply #2 - February 17, 2015, 05:43 AM

Only if he won't stop after I tell him to. When I say I'm not interested in him, he needs to realize that I'm not interested in him and stop trying. Or else.  Tongue

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #3 - February 17, 2015, 06:43 AM

I've been sent a case of these Wali info sticky notes by a distant relative who when visiting us, noticed that I was getting hit on by the guys passing outside our garden halaqah. Even if she was arranging for my marriage and cutting off all hopes of my studying abroad, I smiled when I got delivered these. "She wants to protect me from bad suitors. Aww how nice of her," I said, after which I threw the notes, case and all, into the bin. Didn't think much of them after that, but a couple weeks ago, I got sent this:

Now *that* is infinitely more vile. I'm going to need to develop a beard fetish, apparently.

And yeah, I agree with everything you said above. The property transaction and condescension bit, that is. Not the slugging bit Smiley
     Reply #4 - February 17, 2015, 07:23 AM

I thought it was pretty clear from the context that the guys I advocate slugging are the ones who will not go away until you concede that you are someone's property. I'm kind of an outsider to the whole "human sexuality" and "consenting for intercourse" thing, but in my experience, the dudes who will not leave you alone after you tell them to tend to go on to be the ones who will not quit pestering you about your sex life and then start demanding to be a part of your sex life. And if you say no, they try to forcibly become a part of your sex life. And so I recommend slugging them at the first sign of them not respecting you and your authority to make decisions about your own life. Saves time later.

Reply #5 - February 17, 2015, 07:28 AM

Wow. I'm 27 years old and have never experienced any of the shit you're talking about. I wonder if I should be happy or a little bit worried Huh?

Anyway. The wali system is misogynistic, sexist and completely obsolete for a modern society based on justice, equality and basic human rights and freedom.

It's not news that women reproduce their own opression. In reality, opression of women would never be possible if women themselves didn't uphold it.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #6 - February 17, 2015, 07:48 AM

You were clear. I understand the context in which it's to be used. Even then, I still think physical violence against anyone, no matter what they do to me, is the last resort. I might be naive here, or it might be my upbringing where no matter how bad you're hurt, you don't hurt them back, but I think I'd rather have someone else step in than dealing with this myself. Here anyway, being a girl and alone (when I'm more likely to be hit on), and slugging someone just leads to you being hurt even more. I'd rather use the time I have for getting myself out the place and reporting him. I think if the man is forcing you to be a part of his sex life, he won't care that I slug him. Not in my experience. He'll take that as encouragement. And knowing when "the first sign of them not respecting you" is a little hard for me, because it seems that all the men in my community aren't respecting me or my autonomy. Maybe I should slug them all? Nah. Again, I might be wrong. And you're probably right if you live in a community where people treat your actions seriously. But not where I live. I think it all depends when we're talking about this.
     Reply #7 - February 17, 2015, 08:33 AM

Wow. I'm 27 years old and have never experienced any of the shit you're talking about. I wonder if I should be happy or a little bit worried Huh?

Like I said, outsider to human sexuality. My only experiences of sexuality have been people (men and women; mostly men) forcing their affections on me. Mostly friends of my parents. Once you're a psychologically and socially impaired person, and it's obvious that you don't know what to do in life or how to act, all the people who want to be around you are people who want to take advantage of your ignorance and obliviousness. I basically had the kind of horrifically abusive and neglected childhood you see every few years in the newspaper. Except for having access to books and occasionally other people (although never long enough to form actual friendships), I would have been much more obviously feral.

I would probably have been a linguistic prodigy if I had had a normal childhood. I didn't. Until about the age of ten, I would be locked up, me and my brother, for hours. We'd go days or weeks without interacting with anyone else, not allowed to leave the house, not allowed to use the phone, afraid to leave the room for fear of being beaten. Food sometimes, if we could hide it away while my mom wasn't looking, or if my dad ever showed up. Could use the bathroom most of the time; sometimes we couldn't. I don't know if my dad knew my name; he called me by a nickname. I'm certain he didn't know the color of my eyes, or my favorite color, or anything else about me. He never once made eye contact with me, never had a conversation. The closest that we had to conversations would be being forced to sit still and listen to him ramble incoherently about vaguely religious or political topics.

Then sometimes my mom decided I should interact with others, and would throw me into situations where I was with other kids my age. Bowling leagues, tennis, softball, drama. But by then, I was so socially retarded that no one would talk to me or play with me, so I ended up spending the whole time alone in the corner or wandering off into the woods. As I got older, more and more of my time was spent in the woods. There was a forest behind my house, a government-owned wildlife reserve; I'd hide there from my mom when she'd go on one of her psychotic rage trances where she'd try to hurt or kill me.

All kinds of animals would come through the woods. Deer lived there year round; so did geese, ducks, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, herons, small fish, and foxes. Occasionally a larger predator would come through. There were reports of bears; one climbed into a neighbor's backyard and attacked her dog, but I never saw one. Once I did see a cougar. Beautiful, beautiful animal. It was sleeping on a rock. If I had to die by an animal, I would totally choose a cougar.

Sometimes during my teens, other kids about my age would move into the neighborhood, but invariably they started talking about sex or potential sex partners, and I lost interest in being friends with them, because I had nothing to say on the subject. I grew farther and farther apart with my brother, the only friend I'd had as a kid, for the same reason. When I learned he'd had sex with a 14 year old girl, I was disgusted and furious. I blamed myself for a long time, believing I had failed to raise him properly. As the older sibling, as his protector and his moral guide, I should have been there for him more, I should have made him a better person than that. My only consolation was that he vowed he would never allow my parents to become grandparents.

I fully expect a day will come when I will be asked to comment on his having being arrested as a serial killer/rapist. I don't even have emotions about it. I just am resigned to it, and when that day comes, I will point out that if anyone had stepped in to reduce the abuse we suffered as children, this would never have happened. If anyone had brought to light the fact that we were horrifically neglected, that I ended up being personally responsible for making sure he didn't die during his first years of life, that I had saved him from his attempt to throw himself off a balcony as a toddler while my parents stood down in the parking lot, that I had saved him from sticking his hand in a beehive just a few months later, and that a four year old should never have been left alone to babysit a toddler, if someone had said something, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

So when I got thrust into the world (when my parents threw me out on the street) in my late teens, I was a grownup with all the social skills of a feral child. I didn't know how to act around people. I either emotionally clung to them or feared them. I spent years trying to find replacement parents, someone to give me the love and support I'd always needed. I went from abusive relationship to abusive relationship. Didn't realize the problem was me, that I was such a broken and neurotic person that of course I couldn't get a person who wasn't either broken and neurotic or trying to take advantage of my being broken and neurotic.

Only in the last couple of months (at the age of 26) have I been able to start looking around at the shards that are my life, pick up the pieces, and try to forge a new person. A person who isn't owned, defined, submissive, cowering, neurotic. Trying to form a person who can talk to people, analyze things they say, judge their opinions on their own merits, make decisions, have the strength of character to stand up for myself, to think for myself, to figure out who I am for myself. It's really hard. And often pretty scary. But yeah. Fuck people who think they have the right to own me. And especially the ones who convinced me that that was their right.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »