Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim by name (or shame?)

(Read 8027 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim by name (or shame?)
     OP - February 16, 2015, 03:51 PM

Asalaam u alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu! Peace and blessings of the Lawd be upon you all!  mysmilie_977

Greetings ladies, gentlemen and gerbils! Afro I believe I have extended this greeting for so long that you have perhaps fallen asleep by now. SEEEEEX! Ha! That usually works to keep people alert. I meant the gender operational of course (keepin' it halal real  cool2  bunny)!

Okay so now that I got the initial madness (and kinky personality) out of the way, allow me to introduce myself beyond the eccentricity you would have deduced from the above message. I am a PhD research student (take a guess which fields from the username) attempting to find my way in life! I was born into the religion of Islam, and for years upon years I poured into the Quran and Hadith, absorbing it like a plant does water - getting my spiritual fix that no amount of pleasure filled activity seemed to fill. Except I never used to pray, but let's just place that teeeeeny detail aside. Hey, stop judging - if you have a building with four pillars and a fifth got knocked down the building can still stand right? Right!? It's all relative. Come to think of it most of you are ex-Muslims/pub regulars so perhaps you were like "heeeey he was a fifth of the way towards becoming one of us from the beginning!" Then of course grunting "one of us!" in a cultish style.  dance

A turn of events came when I realised the Hadith were kinda written a thousand miles away from the source, a ridiculous number of years after the Prophet's death, and compiled in a manner only appropriate for a Chinese whispers 200 year competition (we so need to get such a game running!) I felt cheated. I felt disgusted. I felt so unclean no amount of washing my hands could ever undo the damage. Which makes sense since the information was stored in my brain and not my hands. Feels kinda silly I spent an hour washing my hands now. Did someone say drama queen?  mysmilie_977

So there I was. Mr Quranist. Finding my way towards a reformed way of life. I soon realised a lot had not actually changed - I had already been doing what I was doing here. And this was a major realisation that shook me to the core. I had never actually been, beyond just by name, a practising Muslim. I had a fair amount of knowledge of the scripture yet never truly implemented it beyond what I had wished to do. I would throw in the odd inshaAllah, subhanallah, mashaAllah, jazakallah khair/jazaki Allah khair into communication but it had never really spanned further than that. Yes, that was a party trick to say "hey I speak Arabic!" like that man who claimed he is the Mehdi before Dr Zakir Naik and read Surat al Fatiha (what a legend)! And a few further crises hit me, like I was having to take entirely upon faith some of the most legitimately unphysical notions such as a sea splitting, a bird fashioned from clay coming to life, a bird chopped to bits returning to life, a baby speaking in its cradle, a man living in the belly of a whale without asphixiating, or God simply picking and choosing when to implement his justice upon men. Then further ideas like heaven being designed to please desert Arabs. Then the idea the Quran, a book for all time, was written in a language that apparently a minority would ever speak and written so lack lustre that hardly anyone could ever interpret it unless they choose to learn the divinely chosen language. I was an agnostic who happened to be born into Islam, I realised!

And here I am now, acknowledging the fact that there are things I will never know. The more I learn the more I realise I don't know. I never did this for my desires as some come to think, I simply did it because of what is most intellectually honest. I couldn't live in a state of cognitive dissonance for the entirety of my life.

I am free.

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #1 - February 16, 2015, 04:15 PM

May Allah guide you back to the truth of Islam.

And welcome  grin12
     Reply #2 - February 16, 2015, 04:19 PM

Welcome.
     Reply #3 - February 16, 2015, 04:24 PM

thnkyu I appreciate the welcomes! Yes, may Allah guide me back to the truth.  grin12

Reply #4 - February 16, 2015, 04:53 PM

Welcome!  parrot
     Reply #5 - February 16, 2015, 05:02 PM

Asalaam u alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu! Peace and blessings of the Lawd be upon you all!  mysmilie_977

Greetings ladies, gentlemen and gerbils! Afro I believe I have extended this greeting for so long that you have perhaps fallen asleep by now. SEEEEEX! Ha! That usually works to keep people alert. I meant the gender operational of course (keepin' it halal real  cool2  bunny)!

Okay so now that I got the initial madness (and kinky personality) out of the way, allow me to introduce myself beyond the eccentricity you would have deduced from the above message. I am a PhD research student (take a guess which fields from the username) attempting to find my way in life! I was born into the religion of Islam, and for years upon years I poured into the Quran and Hadith, absorbing it like a plant does water - getting my spiritual fix that no amount of pleasure filled activity seemed to fill. Except I never used to pray, but let's just place that teeeeeny detail aside. Hey, stop judging - if you have a building with four pillars and a fifth got knocked down the building can still stand right? Right!? It's all relative. Come to think of it most of you are ex-Muslims/pub regulars so perhaps you were like "heeeey he was a fifth of the way towards becoming one of us from the beginning!" Then of course grunting "one of us!" in a cultish style.  dance

A turn of events came when I realised the Hadith were kinda written a thousand miles away from the source, a ridiculous number of years after the Prophet's death, and compiled in a manner only appropriate for a Chinese whispers 200 year competition (we so need to get such a game running!) I felt cheated. I felt disgusted. I felt so unclean no amount of washing my hands could ever undo the damage. Which makes sense since the information was stored in my brain and not my hands. Feels kinda silly I spent an hour washing my hands now. Did someone say drama queen?  mysmilie_977

So there I was. Mr Quranist. Finding my way towards a reformed way of life. I soon realised a lot had not actually changed - I had already been doing what I was doing here. And this was a major realisation that shook me to the core. I had never actually been, beyond just by name, a practising Muslim. I had a fair amount of knowledge of the scripture yet never truly implemented it beyond what I had wished to do. I would throw in the odd inshaAllah, subhanallah, mashaAllah, jazakallah khair/jazaki Allah khair into communication but it had never really spanned further than that. Yes, that was a party trick to say "hey I speak Arabic!" like that man who claimed he is the Mehdi before Dr Zakir Naik and read Surat al Fatiha (what a legend)! And a few further crises hit me, like I was having to take entirely upon faith some of the most legitimately unphysical notions such as a sea splitting, a bird fashioned from clay coming to life, a bird chopped to bits returning to life, a baby speaking in its cradle, a man living in the belly of a whale without asphixiating, or God simply picking and choosing when to implement his justice upon men. Then further ideas like heaven being designed to please desert Arabs. Then the idea the Quran, a book for all time, was written in a language that apparently a minority would ever speak and written so lack lustre that hardly anyone could ever interpret it unless they choose to learn the divinely chosen language. I was an agnostic who happened to be born into Islam, I realised!

And here I am now, acknowledging the fact that there are things I will never know. The more I learn the more I realise I don't know. I never did this for my desires as some come to think, I simply did it because of what is most intellectually honest. I couldn't live in a state of cognitive dissonance for the entirety of my life.

I am free.

Welcome you vibrant, vibrant person

Have a vibrant parrot -  parrot

and vibrant pictures!

The trees are Rainbow Eucalyptus

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/10/rainbow-eucalyptusthe-most-colorful.html
     Reply #6 - February 16, 2015, 05:09 PM

I need my sunglasses to see those pictures!  cool2

Thank you again for the most warm and welcoming message!

Reply #7 - February 16, 2015, 06:21 PM

Hi PhysMath,

welcome  parrot
     Reply #8 - February 16, 2015, 07:31 PM

Thank you for the parrot! I love the welcoming parrot!

Reply #9 - February 17, 2015, 05:18 AM

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

It was nice chatting with you yesterday. 

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #10 - February 17, 2015, 06:41 AM

Welcome to the forum PhysMath, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #11 - February 17, 2015, 08:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! Awesome intro  Cheesy

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #12 - February 17, 2015, 11:55 AM

Love your intro, and welcome to a forum full of awesome and eccentric people aswell!  piggy grin12

Many of us have been where you are right now, may Allah subhana wa ta'ala bring you to the truth  Wink

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #13 - February 17, 2015, 04:29 PM

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

It was nice chatting with you yesterday. 

Is there a special chat function in this forum, or do you just send private messages?
     Reply #14 - February 17, 2015, 06:43 PM

Is there a special chat function in this forum, or do you just send private messages?

From another thread:

Bored in your fasting? Ramadan time giving you the blues? Stop by #ex-muslims and chat real time about all this with fellow ex-muslims. #ex-muslims is an irc channel that I've set up in the hopes of being an inclusive and outward-facing global community in which ex-muslims can chat with one another.

Here's a mibbit link to the new channel: http://chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims , and the rules I intend to enforce in order to keep a good environment for a global, diverse community of ex-muslims and friends: http://pastebin.com/LhbMyMUX

I hope you'll stop in and have a chat! Also as per the usual disclaimer, this channel is not in any way affiliated with the CEMB forum or organization, so please don't bother them about anything, bother me instead.  grin12

Reply #15 - February 17, 2015, 08:07 PM

You can use that link, but at the moment the mods are all very busy. There are s couple of skype groups too.
     Reply #16 - February 17, 2015, 09:26 PM

You can use that link, but at the moment the mods are all very busy. There are s couple of skype groups too.

Cool. I didn't know that. Can you send me a private message with the skype group names? Thanks
     Reply #17 - February 17, 2015, 10:02 PM

Sure, will do when get on pooter!
     Reply #18 - February 17, 2015, 11:56 PM

Was nice speaking to you too Olweasel! To others asking, we spoke via the IRC chat the other day, though we just happened upon one another more than anything else. It was a happy meeting nevertheless!

Many thanks for the rabbits and the parrots, I do feel overwhelmed by the warm reception I am receiving here. I'd well up but I'm a little dehydrated and TOO MACHO. *flexes muscles* *realises lack of muscles* *flexes anyway*

Reply #19 - February 22, 2015, 07:02 PM

Welcome^^  parrot

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #20 - February 22, 2015, 08:35 PM

Why tank you. Tank you muchly *tips hat*

Reply #21 - March 26, 2015, 11:19 PM

PhysMath, you cracked me up with the way you express yourself.  Well, done!  grin12

"I simply did it because of what is most intellectually honest. I couldn't live in a state of cognitive dissonance for the entirety of my life.

"I am free."

To me, this is the most important thing, intellectual honesty.  Without that, no one is fully free.  Without that, a person is trapped in a mind full of doors one dare not open and booby-traps one better not step on.

Some people talk as if you have to believe in a god and an afterlife in order to be spiritual, but the heart and soul of "spirituality" is the need of the human intelligence to keep itself honest. 

When you do that, you have a wonderful, clean feeling within, and piles of self-respect. 

What's more spiritual than that?   Smiley
     Reply #22 - March 29, 2015, 05:57 AM

Freedom! Welcome to you as well!

''Oh freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, yeah freedom
    Freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, ooh freedom!''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Dl__4QGjY

And run like the free dogs and say ''Fuck it all! I'm outta here!''
     wooferz

A woof woof from here Smiley

''Attention everyone! This is just a reminder not to give birth in the girls bathroom. Thank you.''
    - Shane Dawson
     Reply #23 - April 01, 2015, 09:12 PM

PhysMath, you cracked me up with the way you express yourself.  Well, done!  grin12

"I simply did it because of what is most intellectually honest. I couldn't live in a state of cognitive dissonance for the entirety of my life.

"I am free."

To me, this is the most important thing, intellectual honesty.  Without that, no one is fully free.  Without that, a person is trapped in a mind full of doors one dare not open and booby-traps one better not step on.

Some people talk as if you have to believe in a god and an afterlife in order to be spiritual, but the heart and soul of "spirituality" is the need of the human intelligence to keep itself honest. 

When you do that, you have a wonderful, clean feeling within, and piles of self-respect. 

What's more spiritual than that?   Smiley

Thank you for your kind words, honestly it means a lot. And you're right there - spirituality is not a religious idea. It's got its own term for good reason! Smiley

Reply #24 - April 01, 2015, 09:13 PM

Freedom! Welcome to you as well!

''Oh freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, yeah freedom
    Freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, ooh freedom!''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Dl__4QGjY

And run like the free dogs and say ''Fuck it all! I'm outta here!''
     wooferz

A woof woof from here Smiley

Thank you so much Ta...GuyWithAnA Cheesy You're a cool guy, honestly. It made me smile (would be a laugh - sorry going through a rough time currently)

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »