Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Wearing slacks for the first time

(Read 2574 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Wearing slacks for the first time
     OP - January 30, 2015, 10:51 PM

Hello peoples!!

So, I went outside in slacks for the first time today since I was in my mid-teens (roughly ten years). I'm going to call the slacks pants from here on in, because 'MURICA FUCK YEAH! We call slacks pants, and what you call pants we call underwear. The only person in America I've ever heard refer to pants as slacks was my grandmother, who was born in 1917.

So anyway. I recently got a big check, and I spent part of it on clothes. I found some really cheap clothing stores online, so I bought two pairs of pants, four shirts, and two shrugs (kinda like a shawl, but with sleeves, and it goes down just about to my knees). I tried them on, almost all of them fit well, I was comfortable in them. So today I ventured outside in them for the first time. I'm kind of journaling my feelings about that experience here, in real time, I just walked through the door, sat down, and started writing.

I was worried about how people would react, I've been living here for like two years and no one has seen me in pants, I've always been in abayas. When I first gave up pants to "be more modest" I wore long-ish skirts, but I've been wearing abayas and other long dresses exclusively for the last 5 years. I didn't know how the people who have gotten to know me casually (my regular bus drivers, people at the small shops I visit frequently) in the last two years would react to seeing me break from my normal dress code.

I took the local bus (smaller than a city bus and has a much more limited route) to downtown. I went to a little cafe, the comic book store (bought two Doctor Who blind bags, wanted Clara but got two cybermen, a wood one and a metal one), and the post office, before returning home. I noticed that I felt much more confident and assertive. I was much more decisive, I knew what I wanted and I didn't feel shy or timid about asking for it. I wasn't as apologetic as normal, and I didn't care what people thought as much.

None of my casual acquaintances said anything about my change in attire, although the guy at the comic book store did mention that I'm "not an immigrant" while having a conversation about government benefits. But people who didn't know me seemed to find me much more approachable and less scary. They didn't make an effort to be as far away from me as possible on the sidewalk or stand a meter away from me while waiting for the walk sign at the intersection like they usually do. An elderly guy on the bus asked if I could read the terms on his "free milk" coupon to him because he didn't have his reading glasses.

It's hard to say how much of this was because of the change in confidence that I have that allowed me to pick my own wardrobe as opposed to the change in wardrobe itself. But overall, it was a good experience. I've read the studies about how women who wear hijab say they feel more empowered. I wonder whether I actually felt empowered in an abaya, or whether being feared made me feel like I had some level of control over people.

I thought I liked being feared. I guess that was probably because it was the only control I felt I had in my life. But now I have control of my own destiny, and that feels much better. I'm not scared of interacting with people anymore, and they don't seem as scared of interacting with me. Also, I just realized this was the first time in a long time I went outside without at any point being afraid that someone was going to shoot me.

I didn't feel like these clothes need to come off for me to be free once I got through the door like I did in my abayas. In fact, I'm still wearing them, the only thing I took off was the shrug. I'm at ease.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #1 - January 30, 2015, 11:11 PM

Great to hear, especially about being more confident. It really can do wonders for a person! Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - January 30, 2015, 11:13 PM

Smiley  It took me a whole year to take up the courage to wear trousers or jeans after leaving Islam, even though i moved cities, mingled with new people i still found it hard so i wore long skirts down to my ankles for a long time, people thought i was a jehovas witness lol.  
     Reply #3 - January 30, 2015, 11:26 PM

That's great to hear. 
    Live long and pawsper.   Tongue
     Reply #4 - January 31, 2015, 11:19 AM

Fascinating comment about wearing the religious gear - is it empowering of the self or spreading fear amongst others?

Isn't it all to do with presentation of self in everyday life?  What part are we playing today?

Theatre?  Dressing up?

Where did this idea come from that some forms of theatrical presentation are acceptable and not others?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #5 - January 31, 2015, 07:54 PM

We call them pants in Australia too. Always have, since I were a lad. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »