Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Was your reason to leave good enough?

(Read 4470 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Was your reason to leave good enough?
     OP - December 28, 2014, 08:27 PM

Okay, this is my first post and I'm just beginning to see from this new perspective. It's absolutely terrifying. I hope you all know where I'm coming from. I've kind of been reading forum posts for a while and haven't had the courage to say something. But I really need your help guys - to overcome this religion.

Most of the stories on this website that I've read have just been from people who never liked Islam to begin with. They say that they never were muslims. I thought I would fit into this website but is there anyone who wasn't like that? I was born into Islam but I was a true muslim for years before these doubts settled in. I truly loved Islam and was fully devoted to Allah and completely inspired by the Prophet. I prayed, fasted, gave zakat, etc. It seems like most people on this site never gave Islam a go, but was there anyone who really had delved deep into the religion before making the decision?

I'm only saying this because it appears that most of the people on this site left because they never got answers. Was there anyone who really researched, thought about it and then left? Please relieve me and give me the reason as to why you left. I'm seriously dying to leave this religion, but I'm scared that I'm just giving into my desires. I feel guilty that I don't have a good enough reason to leave, you know? I really got to know Islam and now I feel like I'm running away from it. I really want to leave, but when I sit down, I can't think of one reason that is good enough. Before, I had many such as polygamy, sexism, etc, the normal stuff, but my family has debunked them all.

Am I just trying to find random things to leave? Or this the false religion? Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me I'm not alone.

Logic be upon you.
     Reply #1 - December 28, 2014, 08:51 PM

im not an ex muslim, but maybe you can consider it an outside perspective. There are plenty of 'real' ex muslims here

Religion thrives on fear. It uses the exact same psychological tricks as salesmen to get people in, and keep them there. The entire scientific enterprise is built on skepticism and doubt. It works. But Islam has told you that doubts are from Shaytan; something you are compelled to battle. Any random page in the quran will have a number of 'reminders' of the tortures of hell. It restricts adherents from being skeptical of islam. It plays on fear, and it induces guilt for thinking freely.

The skeptical position would be to not pick up the burden of proof. You don't have to look for problems with Islam. Nor any other religion. It is their job to prove themselves. Do you think Islam has done? Do you think there is good reason to believe that Islam is true?
    If there is no reason to believe it is true, then that in itself is a good enough reason to disbelieve.

I would also say there are a number of positive reasons to believe that islam is false.
    For example, the quran and hadith give the strong impression that the earth is flat, and that the sun orbits around it.
    The list is long.

Reply #2 - December 28, 2014, 08:56 PM

Most of the stories on this website that I've read have just been from people who never liked Islam to begin with..

Really??

You can check out my story on my profile.
     Reply #3 - December 28, 2014, 09:03 PM

Also Berbs and HippyMustard and Allat and Cornflower and...

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - December 28, 2014, 09:04 PM

If you're allowing yourself to critically examine reasons to retain a Muslim identity, I submit that the question is not so much 'why should I leave?' as 'why should I let others speak for / overrule me if I fundamentally disagree with them?'

A proposition for you: one does not choose the truth of a belief; one either holds to the truth of a belief viscerally or one doesn't, because the alternative suggests that some sleight of hand is being committed. True or false?
     Reply #5 - December 28, 2014, 09:22 PM

Thank you guys for replying. Smiley It's really hard to explain - I have a constant, internal battle. One part of me is screaming: 'It's as man-made load of crap!' The other side: 'Your whole purpose is Islam! You're a slave to Allah!' I'm just tired, I suppose. I've had this going on for so long.

Also, to the flat earth and sun orbiting thing - yes I know, that was something that really seemed obvious to me. But my family told me that it did not say anywhere that the earth was flat, but it also doesn't say it's round either. Surely, the almighty God would've put that in there. A week ago or so, I was about to leave, but my sister forced me to go to the mosque with her and she told this teacher there about me. She spent the whole time convincing me of it and scaring me of hell. All of my points, she simply answered and it made me feel like I actually had no reason to leave and was just deluding myself. I'm scared about it all.

Logic be upon you.
     Reply #6 - December 28, 2014, 09:27 PM

Looking at morally objectionable things such as polygamy, sexism and the like can show that the religion was created by unenlightened people and not God, but pretty much an of that stuff can be skirted around as maybe God has a reason for it. What is more convincing is errors in understanding and science in showing a book to be man made rather than divine. A God would not put stuff in his book like "stars are missiles for Jinns" or the "earth is spread out like a carpet/bed" because these merely show the misunderstandings of humans back in the 7th century.

I'd suggest look at it like this. Either the Quran was written by humans or by God (this is excluding the other entities such as satan which would be capable of producing a book on a supernatural worldview). What hypothesis best explains what we find in the Quran?

First, we must realize that people claiming revelation is extremely common. There have been at least thousands of people (Joseph Smith, Bahaullah, Paul, Guru Nanak, Zoroaster, etc.) who have claimed to speak with God and have a message for mankind. Most of these messages contradict so we know at least most of them must be deluded or lying. So if someone is to claim revelation from a God, we should expect very solid evidence to prove this is not just another false revelation. In other words, when someone claims revelation from God, the burden of proof is on them to prove it because of the extremely low probability that it could be a true revelation. So we would need extremely solid evidence that the Quran is from God to overcome the claims intrinsic low probability.

So lets look at the Quran. In terms of morality, there is no insight in it that is not present in early writings. I mean some of its moral commands include punishments such as cutting off hands for stealing, getting whipped for adultery, and getting beaten by your husband if you are a disobedient wife. These punishments were very consistent with the male mindset of the day, but are not appropriate for society today as we have learned society works better and there is less suffering with law codes that are far more wise. Stories such as Noah's Ark and the gate holding back Gog and Magog have been found out to be incompatible with what we know of the world today, although they may have seemed plausible to someone living in Arabia in the 7th century. Stars are missiles for jinns, heaven and earth created in six days (matching the bogus story of creation in Genesis), and semen coming from area between backbone and ribs (matching common Hippocratic belief of the day). The concept of hell was very useful for Christian leaders to scare people into submission before Islam and the Zoroastrians around the same time used extremely brutal and violents depictions of hell to keep people in line and to prevent them from apostatizing (read the book of Arda Viraf). Everything in the Quran is perfectly consistent with what a man or men would write in the 7th century.

So lets look at the supernatural origin hypothesis. All the claims of the Quran having amazing scientific foreknowledge have been demolished and shown to have been exactly consistent with the knowledge of 7th century man. The "inimitability" of the Quran is a bogus challenge for the Quran to make since it doesn't give any criteria to judge by or who is to do the judging. Besides, the Quran is merely written in an inconsistent style of saj which is exactly the type of book we would expect coming out of 7th century Arabia. I have written a Quranic surah in English in the same style as English translations of the Quran which to my judgement fulfills the sura like it challenge (unless you insist on Arabic in which this link: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27842.0 fulfills the challenge in every meaningful way). So all in all, there is not a single shred of evidence for the supernatural origins hypothesis. Add the fact that the supernatural and God have never been proven to exist and would require an extraordinary amount of evidence to do so.

The Quran is like every other Book of Mormon, Guru Granth Sahib, Bible, Torah, divine revelation. It fails to differentiate itself from the pack of manmade revelations and therefore is most definitely manmade itself. If it looks, smells, feels, and quacks like a duck (in this case a manmade book), then it is overwhelmingly likely that it is a duck (or a manmade book; its an analogy  Wink)

Yes many of us here have good reasons for rejecting Islam.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #7 - December 28, 2014, 09:33 PM

Sorry for the long post. Islam and the fear of hell bothered me for a long time, and it helps me a lot to just lay it all out there and get my thoughts straight.

Also, welcome  Smiley

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #8 - December 28, 2014, 10:30 PM

Okay, this is my first post and I'm just beginning to see from this new perspective. It's absolutely terrifying. I hope you all know where I'm coming from. I've kind of been reading forum posts for a while and haven't had the courage to say something. But I really need your help guys - to overcome this religion.

Most of the stories on this website that I've read have just been from people who never liked Islam to begin with. They say that they never were muslims. I thought I would fit into this website but is there anyone who wasn't like that? I was born into Islam but I was a true muslim for years before these doubts settled in. I truly loved Islam and was fully devoted to Allah and completely inspired by the Prophet. I prayed, fasted, gave zakat, etc. It seems like most people on this site never gave Islam a go, but was there anyone who really had delved deep into the religion before making the decision?

I'm only saying this because it appears that most of the people on this site left because they never got answers. Was there anyone who really researched, thought about it and then left? Please relieve me and give me the reason as to why you left. I'm seriously dying to leave this religion, but I'm scared that I'm just giving into my desires. I feel guilty that I don't have a good enough reason to leave, you know? I really got to know Islam and now I feel like I'm running away from it. I really want to leave, but when I sit down, I can't think of one reason that is good enough. Before, I had many such as polygamy, sexism, etc, the normal stuff, but my family has debunked them all.

Am I just trying to find random things to leave? Or this the false religion? Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me I'm not alone.

Hi Aamna, welcome to the forum  Smiley

The truth is that many Exmuslims on this forum and elsewhere did deeply believe in Islam once upon a time, and they left the religion for a variety of reasons. There is no single narrative for why people leave Islam, any more than there is for why people leave other religions. It may be because of bad personal experience, it may because they were forced or abused, it may be because they simply grew out of belief and left it behind without any hassle or trouble. Yes, there are many commonalities of experience, but many different experiences too.

Don't feel stressed or anxious about whether you are right to leave now, or stay a Muslim in your heart because of your doubts. Live your life according to your own conscience, and live in such a way that you stay out of danger should you decide not to follow Islam, in terms of your relationships with family, community should they be angry were you to apostatise or even simply become a liberal Muslim with different views on how Islam should be practised to them.

Basically don't feel there is urgency. You'll find your own path eventually, and whatever it is, will be where you find balance.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - December 28, 2014, 10:32 PM

Looking at morally objectionable things such as polygamy,

The only thing morally objectionable about polygamy is that women aren't allowed to do it too.

Aamna, there are heaps of people on here who have been very serious Muslims; many reacted to their subconscious doubts by getting even deeper into the religion, imagining that the fault was theirs not Islam's.

The reason that proselytising Muslims seldom prosper in arguments on here is that so many exxies know the whole shebang backwards. Reading the forum (there's a lot of it, I know) will confirm this.

Perhaps you've subconsciously absorbed Hamza's line about ex-Muslims never having been proper Muslims in the first place. It ain't so, Joe.
     Reply #10 - December 29, 2014, 12:35 AM

Welcome aamna. Have a parrot. parrot

I'm surprised by your impressions of the members here. Some were without doubt cultural/non practicing muslims but many were truly devout believers who held islam in their heart, who lived, ate and breathed islam. Many members believed that islam was the truth and did their best to be good muslims and follow in the footsteps of Muhammad to the best of their ability. Even then, how they experienced it was different. To some it was a prison, to others it was like the shining sun, lighting their entire lives. The only thing every member has in common is they came to the realisation that islam isn't actually true. The religion is man-made. Allah does not exist.

Before, I had many such as polygamy, sexism, etc, the normal stuff, but my family has debunked them all.

Not liking the teachings doesn't mean islam isn't true, it just means you don't like it. Something isn't true or false depending on whether or not we like it. There are plenty of things I don't like that I accept the reality off. You can find islam in your view to be the height of wisdom and spirituality or a cesspit of immorality and wickedness. Neither view makes it true or false. Something is either true, or it isn't true. And islam is not true. For example:

So I thought I'd expand on the above, because I honestly meant these to be arguments.

1) The quran:

The quran claims itself to be the perfect uncorrupted word of god. That's it's biggest flaw. It invites challenge in a way other holy texts don't, and is really to arrogant for it's own good. The level is enough that it doesn't have the flexibility needed to stand the test of time. The fact that it doesn't have this flexibility, and that it needs it in the first place, is an argument against it in my opinion.

2) Sanity

There's only so much a human being can reasonably be held accountable for when it comes to spiritual matters. There's a verse in the quran which says allah has not given us two hearts. I personally view this as metaphorical, not literal. We view and believe certain things a certain way. I cannot at the same time believe in the quran while seeing flaws in it.

3) Reality

The quran, like all the other holy texts, claims to be the word of god. The way to verify this is testing it, see if it stacks up. Quite frankly it doesn't. Dust devils and jinns, spontaneous human creation, great flood, there's a lot to choose from, but I'll pick a few.

The story of the arc and the great flood. This would have happened around 4000 years ago. It's quite simply impossible for the number of races, ethnicities and the huge amount of genetic traits to come from one incestuous family in just 4000 years. It cannot happen. Something else that puts a hole in the story is the amount of people who were thriving at this point. God flooded the entire world. Except for the Chinese who were developing at an incredible rate and remained unaffected from a global flood that wiped out every human on the planet. The Japanese were also unaffected. And the Africans. And the Europeans. And the Native Americans. And the Aztecs. And the South Americans. And most of the middle east.  The flood never happened. It's not real.

The quran teaches that humans were created from clay in a specific creation. If you're to count on the hadiths, then it's just even more ludicrous. We know the first human was not a 90 foot tall clay giant. Even if you don't take the hadiths into account, it also doesn't account for evolution, the proof of which is overwhelming. Nor does it account for the number of people today who have Neanderthal DNA in them from before the Neanderthals went extinct. Everything I know to be proven fact contradicts the claims of the quran. The only logical conclusion I can come to is that it was a story told by ancient societies because they didn't have any answers. Adam never existed. It's not real.

The sun orbits the Earth...yeah, we've known that's bullshit for a few centuries now.

It says in the quran that in the embryo/foetus the bones are the first thing to form. "So we made the clot a morsel, so we made the morsel bones, so we clothed the bones (with) meat". This is wrong. The skeleton is actually among the last to be formed. You'd think the all knowing creator of everything would realise this. It's wrong.

The stars are missiles to be hurled at jinns. Or they hunt demons. I haven't read the quran in a while so I can't remember the exact quote, but you can look it up to see exactly what it says. This is also wrong. The stars are just stars, they do the exact same thing as the star we orbit, the sun.

Women are defective in intelligence. Coming from a culture where gender mixing is the norm and close relationships aren't looked down upon, I can tell you this isn't true from my own experience. And then there's current trends in school grades, sciences, IQ and employment performance, the fact there are women in MENSA (if you don't know MENSA is like a super genius club, only 2% of the human population globally have a high enough IQ to qualify for membership). Now we live in an age men and women have equal rights, women are on the same level and even starting to out preform men. So I'm going to say this is wrong.

4) Nonsense

Do you believe that allah puts a veil over our hearts? If the answer to this is yes, then my reply to that would be that I'm blameless. If the reason I don't see the truth of islam is because allah put a veil over my heart, then it stands to reason I'll be punished (by being sent to hell) for a crime I didn't commit. My reason for saying I'm being punished for a crime I didn't commit is that allah delibertly put a veil over my heart so I would never know him, therefore the fault is allah's, not mine.

Do you believe nothing happens accept by allah's will? If so then it's the same as above. If nothing happens except by allah's will, then allah made sure I wouldn't believe in him. So again the fault lies with allah, not myself.

Do you believe islam teaches there's no compulsion in religion? If so does that mean if you don't accept islam as true, then you go to hell? If so, this means that allah has told us something to be taken as truth, and he punishes us for taking him at his word instead of assuming he was lying.

Do you believe in the virgin birth? If so, can you understand why I might think it's more likely that a teenage girl told a lie rather than a virgin magically conceiving a child, carrying it to term, birthing it, and the child while still an infant speaking?

Can you also understand why it may be confusing that said infant would only speak once to a few people and refuse to speak again to others, which would cause all doubt in the divinity of allah to be wiped away?

Here's a situation. Let's say there's something in your house you don't like. It offends you. Let's also say you have the power of a god. Would you A) throw away the thing you didn't like or give it to charity, or B) bring it to life, give it intelligence so it can understand what's happening, enable it to feel pain, and torture it forever and ever and ever? Which is more merciful?

5) Common sense

It becomes a common sense issue. Let's say that I'm wrong. Let's say all the things I'm of the opinion are true are wrong. It doesn't change the fact that I find the quran unbelievable. I can't have more knowledge than what's available to me. Let's take evolution. I find it believable. I'm convinced of it. The quran goes against it. I have no reason whatsoever, nothing at all compelling me to believe the quranic story over proven scientific fact.

Or another, let's take the big bang. I'm convinced by what knowledge I have that before the universe, there was no Earth. This planet did not exist. It took a very long time for our star to be born and for our planet to form. This seems plausible to me. From what I know of physics and cosmology, I can accept this. I have no reason whatsoever to believe that the Earth existed from the start and was ripped apart from heaven.

Or another. The quran and hadiths suggest a flat Earth. At one point it's spread out like a carpet, at another the Earth is like an ostrich egg (had to pick the bird that buries it's egg and flattens the soil), allah will roll up the Earth like parchment/paper, and on and on it goes. Everything I'm aware of tells me this is wrong. It becomes less and less believable to me. So with all this in mind, common sense tells me that the only truth that lies hidden in the quran is simply the truths of the cultural norms and mindset of that society and time. Historically and psychologically it's interesting, but that's all it is. No more, no less.

And I have to admit, these aren't even my strongest arguments. I haven't thought about this endlessly, I haven't delved into the theology to throw things at you. The above is just what came to mind as I sit here filling the time on a lazy Sunday evening.

As for your comment on hell, you may find this helpful.

Debunking Jahannam: Why Islamic Hell Is Not Real by happy murtad

There are few concepts that have haunted the human psyche more perverse and absurd than that of an eternal hell.

Jahannam, Islam’s rendition of the fiery abode of the damned, is an exceptionally gruesome world of endless torture and grotesque physical anguish.

The Quran, the sacred text of Islam—believed by millions of Muslims to be the unchanged pronouncements of an all merciful God, is quite literally filled with countless obscene and ugly descriptions of the torment that is said to await billions of non-Muslim souls and even an untold number of Muslim souls.

Muslims are actively encouraged to live in a constant state of terror at the prospect of being banished to Jahannam for all eternity, as the Qur’an states “Fear ye the fire, whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers!” Surah 2:24

What is more, generation upon generation of Muslim children have been frightened into submission with nightmare-inducing scenes of suffering from Allah’s custom designed torture lair. The fear of hell is often reported as the single-most disturbing Islamic facet that lingers on, even after one has come to the rational conclusion that Islam is not true.

“The day they shall be dragged through the fire on their faces, taste ye the touch of hell!” Surah 54:48

“Those who shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels!”  Surah 47:15

“Verily, with Us are fetters (to bind them), and a raging Fire. And a food that chokes, and a painful torment.” Surah 73:12

“But those who deny (their Lord),- for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water. By which is melted that within their bellies and [their] skins. In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them. Every time they wish to get away therefrom, from anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said), "Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!" Surah 22:19-22

Whilst torment by fire, iron maces, and bowel-tearing water are undoubtedly a clear violation of the Geneva Convention against Torture, there exist still in today’s modern world those who would adamantly assert that such cruel and unusual punishments are morally justifiable. While a marginal number of interpreters would assert that these verses are merely allegorical, a great deal more throughout the ages have taken these descriptions of pain and bodily harm with dead seriousness.

They would attempt unimpressive twists of logical gymnastics in a feat to explain that not only is such a deranged sentence true, it is also a wise and fitting judgement that ought to be imposed upon the vast majority of humanity.

In the same vein, and without the slightest perception of irony, advocates for the necessity of such a depraved notion will concede that it is entirely the brainchild and construction of a God who dubs himself “the most merciful of those who show mercy.”

The inhabitants of Islamic hell are not simply the hedonist tyrants of the days of old. They are the billions upon billions of people who did not reach the less than obvious conclusion that Islam was God’s only religion.

They are our colleagues, our doctors, our teachers, our mail men, our friends, and often times, our family.

They are fellow human beings.

Now, if Allah is indeed all knowing and all powerful, then he knew in advance that billions of these poor souls would be cast unto such unspeakable tortures, mostly on account of the beliefs they happened to be indoctrinated with from birth.  He could have given all of them guidance and saved them from such a fate, but he chose not to. As Allah is quoted as saying in the Qur’an, “If We had so willed, We could certainly have brought every soul its true guidance: but the Word from Me will come true, "I will fill Hell with Jinns and men all together." Surah 32:13

This is troubling on many levels. Would it not be more merciful for him to simply not create the inhabitants of hell to start off with?

And if, for reasons beyond our comprehension, Allah was compelled to create humanity as he did, and was compelled to punish billions of them for their failures and transgressions as he will, then would not a death sentence be sufficient? Why could he not just cause them to stop existing if he is angered by them so much? Why is it necessary to keep them alive in order to sadistically subject them to eternal torture?

Consider for a moment the example of a rich man who anonymously sends money to his many poor children. These children, who have never seen their father, differ with each other about his true identity. Some of these children believe the milk man to be their father. Others believe the local judge to be their father. Still, some of the children curse their father for his absence. Nonetheless, the father continues to send money to his children. What would we say about such a father if on the day he finally revealed himself to his children, he physically punished them in a state of anger for their ignorance as to his true identity? What more would we say if he tortured them with fire and hooks, deliberately keeping them on the cusp of life so that they should gain no respite from his rage? Consider that every time they fell unconscious, he injected them with a dose of substance to reawaken them and heighten their capacity to feel pain. What might we say of such a father?

Indeed, the descriptions of hell in the Qur’an seem to have more befittingly arisen in the mind of a deranged sadist than in the wise plan of an all merciful god.

As we find it highly suspicious that an all-wise and all merciful deity could find within himself no better method of administering the eternal fate of billions of human souls, it is our duty to also call the history of such silly claims into the light of scrutiny.

It is no secret that Islam borrows heavily from the lore and legend of earlier Jewish and Christian writings. Islam acknowledges the mission and scripture of messengers such as Noah, Moses, and Abraham. One would therefore rightfully expect to find at least one example of said patriarchs warning their people against the blazing fires and unspeakable torments said to await the disbeliever.

Instead, we find no references to anything resembling Islamic hell in the Taurah (Torah). As the alleged destination for countless a wayward soul, jahannam is curiously absent from the writings of the earliest Hebrew prophets. Instead, the word that is sometimes translated as “hell” in Hebrew scripture is the Hebrew word “sheol,” which actually just means “grave” or “pit,” and is also translated as such into English many times.

While these alternate translations seem to lend credence to the idea of the early inception of a jahannam-styled hell, sheol was the destination of all living men, regardless of their righteousness. It is defined by early biblical scholars as simply the place or state of the dead. It is a shadowy, non-physical existence that encompasses the gloom and decay of death, but does not imply torment.

The following are examples of how the word “sheol” is understood in the Torah to simply mean grave:

"Ye shall bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave." Gen. xvii 38. "I will go down to the grave to my son mourning." xxxviii 35. "O that thou wouldst hide me in the grave!" Job xiV 13. "My life draweth nigh to the grave." Ps. lxxxviiI 3. "In the grave who shall give thee thanks?" lxxxvi 5. "Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth." cxlI 7. "There is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." Ecc. ix. 10. "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold thou art there." Ps. cxxxix. 8. "Hell from beneath is moved to meet thee, at thy coming. It stirreth up the dead for thee," &c. Isaiah xiV 9-15.
     (Thayer, 1855)

In the days of the Hebrew prophets, Allah did not threaten his detractors with blazing fires. Instead, a reading of the Jewish bible will show that the righteous were rewarded with worldly riches and power. Incentives to be righteous included a prolonged life, healthy offspring, abundant livestock (donkeys, goats, cattle, etc) and victory over one’s enemies. Earthquakes, floods, disease, and defeat were all interpreted as signs of divine disfavor.  Once a human being was dead, they were dead. In sheol, there were no blazing flames, no iron maces, no choking fruits, and no molten brass. These ideas would only be born much, much later.

Jesus of Nazareth, known for his use of the parable, was the first to speak of Gehenna, the indisputable root of the Arabic phrase Jahannam.

Gehenna, or the Valley of Hinnom, was a well known, physical location on the outskirts of Jerusalem. In olden days, certain idolatrous Jews would sacrifice doves, livestock, and their own babies to appease pagan gods. As the Jews were admonished back into the worship of a singular deity, the place became a wretched dump, receiving the town’s rubbish, the decaying bodies of animals, and the worm-ridden corpses of executed criminals. There were perpetual fires necessary to control the filth and stench, and the decay of the place became a thing of infamy. When Jesus spoke of the fires of Gehanna, his listeners would have received a powerful mental image, a hell. Someone who committed a crime worthy of Gehanna had committed a serious offence indeed. (Schleusner)

The writers of early Christian scripture, who were directly influenced by earlier Greek ideas of the underworld Hades, embellished greatly upon the concept of hell. Sheol and Gehenna were both translated as hell and modeled largely on the Greek ideas of Tartarus in Hades. Tartarus, both a deity and a gloomy abyss of torment in the afterlife, was believed to be a place of suffering for the wicked within the Greek underworld. Indeed, Hades and Tartarus were used interchangeably to refer to hell in the Greek versions of the New Testament.   

This is not a surprising turn. As Christianity emerged and spread during the oppressive reign of the pagan Roman Empire, the faithful were at a loss to explain why God’s favor was not being showered upon the righteous in the form of prosperity and victory.

This idea is common in the apocalyptic writings of the time, and the notion emerged that God must be waiting until an afterlife to reward the righteous and punish the sinful. Heaven and hell seemed like suitable replacements for goats and diseases, respectively.

Many centuries later, Muhammad would pick up on these ideas of Gehenna and Tartarus to use them for his own purposes. Having nothing to offer his followers of a worldly nature in return for their absolute obedience, Muhammad built upon the Christian ideas of heaven and hell, threatening his detractors with Jahannam and promising Jannah to his followers. While the New Testament spoke of Gehanna only 12 times, Muhammad made more than 75 references to Jahannam in the Qur’an. Not to be outdone by the Christian writers, Muhammad added significantly to the countless torture tactics that jahannam has become notorious for today.The amount of times that blazing fires and endless torments of all sorts are mentioned are too many to count.

Muhammad threatened the Arab tribes with hell not simply for being immoral, but for not obeying his every command, for not financing his campaigns, and for not going to battle for his cause. Similarly, as an incentive, the Kingdom of Heaven became filled with lush palm trees, rivers, wine, and full-breasted maidens.  It was manipulation of the worst kind that has lived on to this day.

As part of our basic instincts, all living beings have a natural aversion to death. This manifests itself through our struggle to survive against all odds. As human beings who are consciously aware of our impending worldly demise, the concept of an afterlife can be comforting. When this yearning for eternal existence is manipulated through extravagant bribes and threats of torture, it can have a lasting effect on the mind.

Fortunately, there really is no reason to fear. Everything about the descriptions of heaven and hell in the Qur’an suggest that they were invented only to appeal to the base desires, fantasies, and fears of the desert tribes Muhammad was trying to recruit.

I alluded earlier to the Geneva Convention on torture. It is important to note the great strides of progress that the nations of the world have accomplished by recognizing and banning the evil of torture. Article 1 of the convention defines torture as “any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person…” Article 2 goes on to ban all forms of torture and states that “no exceptional circumstances whatsoever" may be invoked to justify it. It compels signer states to take measures to prevent torture in all territories under their jurisdiction. As the all merciful lord of the universe, who has all of creation under his jurisdiction, is it not ironic that Allah himself would stand in violation of these internationally accepted principles?

The next time you are out and about, take a look around you. When you are at the grocery store perhaps, or in a crowded shopping mall, or stuck on a congested freeway, ask yourself if you could really imagine a merciful god subjecting all of those innocent people to a grotesque and sadistic torture. Could you imagine yourself doing that? Could you imagine anyone that you know doing that? Surely, it is a disgrace to a wise and merciful god to believe that he would do that.

The concept of jahannam, as it has evolved over the millennia, is a uniquely human construction of the worst kind, designed and embellished upon solely in the minds of scheming men.

It is only a relic of a darker time in human history, a lingering hangover of a time when tyrannical kings commanded complete authority and ruled over their kingdoms through fear and persecution. Men who lived in such dark times imagined a god that was, as kings then were, necessarily ruthless and brutal. As the world has moved beyond those dark eras, so to should we relegate the idea of a divinely sanctioned, torturous hell to the pages of history. Such horrible ideas have no place in our world today.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #11 - December 29, 2014, 01:54 AM

Dear aamna,

Ignorance is bliss.

This is my take on it, and I might be in disagreement with a lot of the other members in here. If Islam is working for you and you are content with the life you are living right now, then stop. Don't ruin whatever faith you have left inside you.  You really don't want to go there. They say you should be careful with what you wish for because you might just get it. If you are a genuine truth-seeker who will not compromise on facts and sound reasoning; you will most definitely lose your faith in Islam; but the question is, are you willing to sacrifice? What has been posted so far is only a snippet of the many reasons why a lot of us eventually had to let go of our faith. You're in for a lot more if you continue down this road. You make the whole enterprise of giving up your faith seem like a worthy goal, as if it's something worth pursuing and enticing. It couldn't be further from the truth. Some of us, including myself, have lost pretty much all connections with our family and friends as a consequence of seeking the truth. Not to mention the psychological trauma. I personally spent countless nights during the early days crying to the sky, wishing I had some solid reasons for believing in Allah. You will feel betrayed and conned. You will start viewing your surroundings very differently. You will begin hating the very mention of Islam and the very sight of an imam will make you sick to your stomach. However more importantly, you will be confused. For just like me, you are also a product of the Muslim world and cannot just give up on your roots. You will try to reason with Muslims, but the very fact that you disbelieve in the very foundation for their existence (Islam) will become a giant barrier and alienate you. They will see you as an enemy. It will be like talking to a wall or a zombie. That's right, when discussing with your family (if they are nearly as religious as mine) you will feel like they are behaving like zombies. By the time you have liberated yourself from the religious indoctrination you are still affected by (I get this from your apparent fear of hell), communications will likely break down. As if you're on AM and they're on FM.

In short young lady, you REALLY need to think this through deeply. The steps you take from here onward will have a radical effect on your relationships. If you treasure your life as it is, and feel comfortable living as a Muslim, keep doing your thing. However, if the truth is what really matters to you and you're even willing to bring your mother to tears for going wherever the evidence takes you, then keep reading. There's plenty of resources on this forum to get you started on your quest for the truth.

I chose the latter.
     Reply #12 - December 29, 2014, 03:26 AM

We know Allah is a just a fabrication. He was just one of the old arab gods that Mohammed handpicked out of the hundreds available to him, later it was then morphed and amalgamated with the Abrahamic god.

Also no there is ZERO evidence that any deity currently exists !
     Reply #13 - December 29, 2014, 06:45 AM

Dear Aamna, yeah i think most people here were full practising muslims at one point, for some it was a very painful decision to leave islam, i loved being a muslim for many years but something just happend one day where i began to question, i met new people who were not muslim and realised how limited my thinking was, i wanted to move on and explore other paths but that meant leaving behind everyone that i loved and cared about.  It may not be that way for you, i know people who have taken off the scarf and stopped practising but still remain with their family and friends, it all depends on the people around you and their responses i guess so, if you are seriosuly thinking about giving up then you would need to test the waters a little, take things slowly imo, i wish you all the best, stick around if you need any guidance from the people here   xxxx
     Reply #14 - December 31, 2014, 12:42 AM

I don't think I'm capable of the long and deep soliloquies that came before me... But anyway, here goes. For me, being of a scientific background, it was the supposed scientific miracles in the Quran. Once you take a course on the history of science, and actually analyse the crap the Quran spouts, it's really easy to eliminate the involvement of any deity in its composition. Not to mention verse 65:4 which tacitly endorses marrying a young girl, and of course, the unbelievably graphic tortures devised by a supposedly merciful being... That's only just touching on it.

Not necessary that you'll go through the same process (it's different for everybody... people come at it from different angles). But your life will change (possibly for the better). Leaving Islam opened my mind up massively, and it has even gone a long long way to opening up a mind that previously closed and stubborn. But... as others have said, it'll be a tough journey. You might come out hating Islam, like me (I have a lot of trouble referring to Muhammad as anything but the 'madman'....). You'll probably be alienated from your family, and possibly your friends. But it'll be a journey worth taking, if you eventually end up there. The key is to take your time, and eventually, if you're so inclined, you'll probably be able to leave it.... Yeah sorry lass, that's all I've got. Good luck!
     Reply #15 - December 31, 2014, 01:13 AM

Archaeological background myself. Since many of the early Hebrews stories are mythological rather than factual this undermines Islam. Islam takes a theological narrative as a historical narrative. It confuses the two which shows the writers of Islam misunderstood not only the theological narratives of Judaism and Christianity but the history behind these narratives, what is factual or what is metaphorical.
     Reply #16 - December 31, 2014, 08:37 AM

Thank you guys for replying. Smiley It's really hard to explain - I have a constant, internal battle. One part of me is screaming: 'It's as man-made load of crap!' The other side: 'Your whole purpose is Islam! You're a slave to Allah!' I'm just tired, I suppose. I've had this going on for so long.

Also, to the flat earth and sun orbiting thing - yes I know, that was something that really seemed obvious to me. But my family told me that it did not say anywhere that the earth was flat, but it also doesn't say it's round either. Surely, the almighty God would've put that in there. A week ago or so, I was about to leave, but my sister forced me to go to the mosque with her and she told this teacher there about me. She spent the whole time convincing me of it and scaring me of hell. All of my points, she simply answered and it made me feel like I actually had no reason to leave and was just deluding myself. I'm scared about it all.

Islam spread through fear. That's all. Not out of love or mercy, but fear

Run my dear, from anything that may not strengthen your precious budding wings
     Reply #17 - December 31, 2014, 09:37 AM

Most of the stories on this website that I've read have just been from people who never liked Islam to begin with.

Keep reading. There's plenty of stories from people who truly loved Islam. The user Hassan is a prime example. He used to be a teacher at a muslim school, he learnt Arabic, he is very well versed in Islam and left after a lot of studying. His blog is available here: https://abooali.wordpress.com/
    It is well worth a read.

As for 'good enough' reasons for leaving Islam, logically speaking you don't need one. It is for Islam to prove itself to be the true word of god. But most of us understand that when you're losing your faith, the fear of hell/god is scary enough to want us to 'prove' Islam wrong so we can stop being so afraid. For me, it helped to learn about Islam's more questionable teachings, my research is available here

This forum has a fairly useful Resource section , it's not well categorised so you will have to go back through several pages to find the good stuff.

I pulled out a few helpful threads for you:

Download Hassan's videos - Hassan created an excellent set of videos about Islam. I hope the download link still works because they were incredibly well done.

Reading List - if you're a big reader, there's some good books recommended here

Useful info - some random info I collected over a period of time. These are a few years old by now, so some links may no longer work.

The Feminists of Islam - some history of feminism around Islam's beginning
     Reply #18 - December 31, 2014, 11:37 AM

I have a constant, internal battle. One part of me is screaming: 'It's as man-made load of crap!' The other side: 'Your whole purpose is Islam! You're a slave to Allah!

This is a correct understanding of what is happening!

The following is a common psychotherapeutic drama exercise. Put two chairs facing each other.  Sit in one and be one of these voices, imagine the other voice in the other chair.  Like an actor would, play one of the parts, then stop and change seats and be the other actor speaking to the other one.

Think and observe carefully about what happens, what tactics are used, emotions, threats etc.  Who do the actors remind you of?  Do you mimic anyone's voices or mannerisms?

The sensible one may look as if it is losing but he or she has won this!

Introduce more characters as you think fit!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #19 - December 31, 2014, 11:40 AM

Try and get the actors to understand the other (s).

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #20 - December 31, 2014, 05:20 PM

Have you ever researched human evolution aamna? There is a huge amount of fossil evidence to show that human beings evolved from earlier primate species such as Australopithecines, Homo Erectus, etc. This was a gradual process that took more than a million years. And the fossil record supports this version of events. This is a complete contradiction to the various creation myths that human beings have invented to explain their purpose.

Here are three examples of creation myths:

1) The people of the Andaman Islands believe that the God Puluga created mankind at a spot in the north of the islands called Wota - Emi, which is also the spot where Puluga taught mankind how to make fire.

2) The Chamorro people of the Mariana Islands believe that the world was created by a twin brother and sister, Puntan and Fu'uña.Upon dying, Puntan instructed his sister to make his body the ingredients for the universe. She used his eyes to create the sun and moon, his eyebrows to make rainbows, and most of the rest of his parts for various features of the Mariana Islands. After she was done, she turned herself into a big rock called "Laso de Fua on the southern tip of the island of Guam, and from this rock emerged human beings.

3) The Arabs believe that their God Allah created the Universe, and the first human being, called Adam. Allah created Adam out of dust and said "be", so he came into existence. Afterwards Allah talked to many humans in the Middle East, and sent a special rock to a place called Mecca, instructing the local people to worship at that site.

None of these 3 stories have any evidence to support them, they are all clearly early attempts by mankind to understand their place in the Universe, and all three refer to local places and objects such as rocks as focal points where Gods created things or taught his people. It may seem strange to you that the people of the Andaman Islands and the people of the Mariana Islands believe that God created mankind on their very own Islands, but it would be equally strange to them that the Middle East should be the center point in God's creation.
     Reply #21 - January 01, 2015, 11:44 PM

aamna, I struggled with your thoughts for around 10 years of my life. One part of me being skeptical about Islam and the other voice in my head telling me its shaytaan whispering in my ear. I tried my best to study Islam, and be a good muslim. I attended a private islamic school, went to sunday school where they taught us how to memorize the qur'an and gave us lectures about the torment of hell; planting the seed of fear in our hearts at a very young age.
    But as many already mentioned in this thread, the qur'an is full of scientific errors and contradictions. I would recommend you start out by reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins which is an easy book to read and will answer many of your questions. Good luck  Smiley

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #22 - January 02, 2015, 12:16 AM

The only thing morally objectionable about polygamy is that women aren't allowed to do it too.

Indeed.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #23 - January 02, 2015, 12:42 AM

Glad to see you around again, movingfeet!
     Reply #24 - January 02, 2015, 01:46 AM

Hmmm...Yezeevee and movingfeet return at the same time. Coincidencemysmilie_977

Whatever the reason may be may I please remind both of you that freemixing of the sexes is no longer allowed on these threads.   finmad

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #25 - January 02, 2015, 01:53 AM

Haha! Hello, lua and Jedi..

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »