Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Sleep Paralysis

(Read 7195 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Sleep Paralysis
     OP - December 25, 2014, 08:36 PM

So, I woke up some time ago with a sensation of hands squeezing my heart. It didn't help that I had been reading some Bellaire verses in the Qur'an the night before and I ended up saying that shahada (so) phrase in fear. I described it to a friend and they said it was sleep paralysis. My brother experienced something similar.

The problem is that I have ocd and of course, any Muslim will tell me it's a sign. Can sleep paralysis cause something like this?
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #1 - December 25, 2014, 09:04 PM

Yes. I had it for years, it caused hallucinations about being strangled, suffocated and seeing "entities" in my room. Others have said, and I tend to agree, that NOT sleeping on your back helps you get rid of it.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #2 - December 25, 2014, 10:17 PM

Sleep paralysis = Djinns (NOT!)

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #3 - December 26, 2014, 01:50 AM

Sleep paralysis is a state where your body is unable to move due to your body releasing a hormone that prevents you from acting out your dreams but you don't lose consciousness the way you do when you fall asleep. The hallucinations you see are a result of dreaming while conscious.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #4 - December 26, 2014, 02:01 AM

It's funny because just the other day I was reading through youtube comments and there was this women who claimed to have accepted Jesus after an episode that sounds a lot like yours. I will try to find the link if I can.

Definitely sleep paralysis

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #5 - December 26, 2014, 02:35 AM

Yes, this sounds about right.

As a Christian, I don't think I like it being the result of anyone's conversion to my religion.

Fun fact, the evil entity that generally accompanies the dream? I thought it was Mo's friend.
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #6 - December 26, 2014, 05:26 AM

Yeah, that sounds like sleep paralysis. I get sleep paralysis relatively frequently. I still vividly remember the first few times it happened--a gripping fear, shadows on my ceiling that became jagged, moving demons. Clothing draped over a railing that seemed to be a scarecrow, writhing, moving, stalking. It's especially frightening if you don't know what's happening.

Now when it happens it's little more than an annoyance. Definitely does not cause fear or terror anymore--you get used to it and learn to recognize it for what it is after several dozen occurences--but does cause frustration because I can't stand the inability to move and the distracting amplification of sounds and sensations.

Nothing to worry about.

The most irritating thing is that I hear stories from religious relatives who have clearly experienced sleep paralysis or night terrors, but instead of accepting that these are normal things, they interpret them as terrifying spiritual experiences. Jinns and whatnot.
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #7 - December 26, 2014, 09:01 AM

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #8 - December 27, 2014, 08:17 PM

It sounds like sleep paralysis. I suffer from it too. I had some very bad episodes a number of years ago, and of course it is very terrifying when you don't know what it is. The panic that arises from being unable to move, hallucinating and fear of impending death etc is scary, but once you know that it is completely harmless and not some supernatural occurrence, it becomes manageable.

I found sleeping on my back was a trigger, so try to avoid it if you can. Sleep on your side and place thick pillows in front and behind you to stop you from rolling over. Or if your bed is next to a wall, sleep as close to the wall as possible. Over time you will train your body to not roll on to your back.
    A lot of stress triggers it too, and my worst episodes were when I was under a lot of stress and very depressed etc. Are you currently under stressful circumstances?

Now that you know what it is, the next time you experience it, it will be scary initially, but you can just distract your mind by chanting to yourself something soothing like "this is not real, it is all in my mind, it will pass soon" etc. Also, the instinct is to focus on the hallucinations and unpleasant sensations, but try to force your brain to wiggle your fingers or toes. That helped me "trigger" my body back into movement and the paralysis faded away.

I haven't experienced it for a few years now, even though I have started sleeping on my back again. Hopefully it will be a passing phase for you too  Smiley

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #9 - January 09, 2015, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the advice. I was reading the hellfire verses that night, so, yeah, there was dress.
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #10 - January 09, 2015, 03:15 AM

Experienced it too. Family thought it was Jinn too.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #11 - January 09, 2015, 06:20 AM

If you remind yourself repeatedly before you fall asleep that sleep paralysis is normal and you shouldn't be alarmed, it may happen more often but you'll be less upset when it does happen.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #12 - January 09, 2015, 10:39 AM

Does a feeling of being pinned down, not able to move & breathe qualify as sleep paralysis?

That happens to me sometimes, it's becoming more regular though.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #13 - January 09, 2015, 12:32 PM

Yes

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #14 - January 09, 2015, 12:49 PM

cool

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #15 - January 09, 2015, 01:36 PM

Whatever you don't understand, know nothing about, whatever you feel confused about or which frightens you... blame it on jinn and sihr.

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #16 - January 09, 2015, 01:37 PM

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #17 - January 09, 2015, 01:43 PM

Whatever you don't understand, know nothing about, whatever you feel confused about or which frightens you... blame it on jinn and sihr.

A man wrote a letter to his wife and mother of his two children..

The conditions under which  I  would agree to continue the  marriage:
    A. You will see to it (1) that my clothes and linen are kept in order, (2) that I am served three regular meals a day in my room.

B. You will renounce all personal relations with me, except when these are required to keep up social appearances.'' And: ''You will expect no affection from me . . . You must leave my bedroom or study at once without protesting when I ask you to.''

Any  man who writes such letters can not be a man. it must be a jinn  or some one did  sihr on him that made him to write such letters..  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #18 - January 09, 2015, 01:46 PM

He doesn't need a wife, he needs a penis  grin12

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #19 - January 09, 2015, 02:09 PM

Where did you find that yeez? Who are these people?! Cheesy

• Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #20 - January 10, 2015, 12:30 AM

I was told that you should move your toe (as it is the furthest nerve ending from your brain) so that it kick starts the body.

Or pray to Allah.

I prefer the toe method.
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #21 - January 10, 2015, 02:36 AM

Sleep positions, medications and stress are a few causes of sleep paralysis. I had issues with sleep paralysis when I was a kid until my mid teens. Absolutely terrifying! Thankfully I rarely experience it now but when I do, I try to move my tongue, fingers or toes. It usually happens when I'm about to wake up then I'm paralyzed and the figures (DJINS!) pop up. I could never see their faces but I always feel and hear them. Every night, I use to ask my father to read ayat al-kursi into my ear before I sleep. Never helped but it made me relax before I went to bed.

turnipovich
  • Sleep Paralysis
     Reply #22 - January 10, 2015, 05:28 AM

If you remind yourself repeatedly before you fall asleep that sleep paralysis is normal and you shouldn't be alarmed, it may happen more often but you'll be less upset when it does happen.

Isn't there some health concern regarding recurring sleep paralysis? Maybe it shouldn't be considered "normal" per se, but "natural" as in, a natural phenomenon, but not supernatural. Probably should talk to a physician to find ways to reduce the number of episodes?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »