Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: World Assholes Day

(Read 4379 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • World Assholes Day
     OP - December 09, 2014, 05:36 PM

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I just felt I had to share in case it hasn't. Anyways, my thoughts on this, in case they're relevant: fucking dickheads.

Egyptian TV crew criticised over police raid on Cairo bath house

http://gu.com/p/4433p

Hi
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #1 - December 09, 2014, 05:46 PM

Pathetic!!!

And I said this a while ago:

ctivists speculate that the recent rise in arrests is linked to the government’s desire to prove that it can be as socially conservative as the Muslim Brotherhood, which was ousted from power in July 2013.

And this so sad to see:

Independent newspapers and channels have largely become cheerleaders for Abdel Fatah al-Sisi’s administration, with the editors of some of Egypt’s leading publications joining forces last month to jointly reject criticism of the army, police and judiciary.

Umm al-Dunya my foot!!
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #2 - December 09, 2014, 05:49 PM

• World Assholes Day
     Reply #3 - December 09, 2014, 06:06 PM

• World Assholes Day
     Reply #4 - December 09, 2014, 10:20 PM

Abu, why is there a desire by the current administration to prove it can be socially conservative? The last one was replaced precisely because of those conservative noises, so why is this one heading down the same road? Is it to try to neutralise the opposition and to bridge the divisive divide that exists in Egypt?

I regretted my earlier post. I try never to get too upset at any one group of people, not publicly at least. But looking at your photos makes me regret my initial post less.

Hi
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #5 - December 09, 2014, 10:54 PM

Topical thread title, what with today's news of CIA rectal feeding of prisoners.
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #6 - December 09, 2014, 10:57 PM

I think the current regime is very fearful of a popular uprising inspired by the Muslim brotherhood - who did actually win a democratic election so they have plenty of support.

They are not so worried about the non-Islamic elements as they will put up with the military rule as long as it means the MB don't get in.

So Sisi wants to show those who voted for the MB (who are not necessarily MB supporters but are swayed by the word "Islam" - most are ignorant fellaheen who know nothing but the word "Islam") - so to show them that he is also implementing Islam and they don't need the MB for that, he is trying to prove his Islamic credentials.
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #7 - December 09, 2014, 11:03 PM

Topical thread title, what with today's news of CIA rectal feeding of prisoners.

lol. I shouldn't laugh, but you've tickled me with that.

Hi
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #8 - December 09, 2014, 11:10 PM

I think the current regime is very fearful of a popular uprising inspired by the Muslim brotherhood - who did actually win a democratic election so they have plenty of support.

They are not so worried about the non-Islamic elements as they will put up with the military rule as long as it means the MB don't get in.

So Sisi wants to show those who voted for the MB (who are not necessarily MB supporters but are swayed by the word "Islam" - most are ignorant fellaheen who know nothing but the word "Islam") - so to show them that he is also implementing Islam and they don't need the MB for that, he is trying to prove his Islamic credentials.

His tactics make sense now. Thanks Abu.

What a ruthless asshole though. I knew that anyways, with the way that he has murdered and oppressed the Brotherhood and it's supporters.  But to now turn on a minority community, not because of ideology, but merely to cement his control, is incredibly psychopathic. What a dangerous dangerous cvnt.

Hi
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #9 - December 09, 2014, 11:24 PM

Welcome to the world of Arab despots
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #10 - December 10, 2014, 02:48 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/10/homosexuality-gay-crackdown-egypt-economic-political-issues?
    Quote from: Brian Whitaker
    The arrest of at least 25 men during a massive police raid on a bath house in Cairo – instigated by a pro-regime TV channel – is the latest and most dramatic development in a crackdown that has been going on for months, even though homosexuality is not actually illegal in Egypt.

It is reminiscent of a similar crackdown by the Mubarak regime around 2001 (documented in a very detailed report by Human Rights Watch), which included the notorious Queen Boat trial.

One difference between 2001 and now is the existence of social media. Whereas the Queen Boat victims had few public defenders in Egypt, there have been Arab and Egyptian voices openly condemning last weekend’s arrests, though they are undoubtedly still a small minority.

Much of the wrath has been directed against TV presenter Mona Iraqi and her sordid efforts to expose a “den of perversion”. After initially boasting about her achievement on Facebook, Iraqi has now backtracked, claiming she was merely trying to promote sexual health in connection with World Aids Day.

Raiding bath houses does not, of course, stop people having sex, and there are more effective ways to reduce the spread of HIV – such as sex education of the sort people usually lack in Egypt – but they don’t necessarily make for sensational TV.

During the Mubarak regime’s 2001 crackdown, HRW gathered information about 179 men whose cases were brought before prosecutors. In all probability that was only a minuscule percentage of the true total. Hundreds of others were harassed, arrested and often tortured, but not charged.

In the absence of a specific law against gay sex, people are usually charged with “debauchery” under an old law originally intended to combat prostitution. A law against “immoral advertising” has also been used to entrap men seeking gay partners on the internet.

The most publicised of the Mubarak-era cases was the show trial of 52 men following a police raid on the Queen Boat, a floating nightclub on the Nile that was popular with gay men. The trial was accompanied by lurid tales in the Egyptian press alleging everything from prostitution to a gay wedding via devil worship.

Egypt’s prosecutor general, Maher Abdel-Wahid, accused the defendants of “exploiting Islam through false interpretation of verses from the Muslim holy book, the Qur–an, in order to propagate extremist ideas”. They were also charged with “performing immoral acts; the use of perverted sexual practices as part of their rituals; contempt and despite of heavenly religions, and fomenting strife”.

To highlight the supposed danger to the nation, the case was sent to the state security court, specially set up under an emergency law established in 1981 to deal with suspected terrorists. A Cairo newspaper reinforced this view with its front page headline: “Perverts declare war on Egypt”.

The exact reasons for the 2001 crackdown are still debated, and probably several factors were involved. Writing about this at the time, Hossam Bahgat saw it as an attempt by the Mubarak regime to undercut Islamist opposition by portraying the state as the guardian of public virtue: “To counter this ascending [Islamist] power, the state resorts to sensational prosecutions, in which the regime steps in to protect Islam from evil apostates. The regime seems to have realised that suppression and persecution of Islamists will not uproot the Islamist threat unless it is combined with actions that bolster the state’s religious legitimacy.”

He also noted the regime’s practice of using sensational trials to divert public attention from the worsening state of the economy and similar issues. The Queen Boat case was one of three big sex stories that helped to squeeze bad news out of the papers around the same time. One involved a businessman said to have married 17 women, and another was the leaking (possibly by state security) of a video that showed a former Coptic priest having sex with women who visited his monastery in search of healing.

It seems very likely that the crackdown under President al-Sisi is occurring for similar reasons: to distract attention from bigger issues, to show that while suppressing the Muslim Brotherhood the regime is still capable of playing the “morality” card, or a combination of both.

• World Assholes Day
     Reply #11 - December 10, 2014, 03:29 PM

The Paper Bird blog has a long report on the current crackdown:
    http://paper-bird.net/2014/12/08/dozens-arrested-cairo/
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #12 - December 10, 2014, 04:16 PM

Thanks Zeca

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Hi
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #13 - December 10, 2014, 04:28 PM

piggy ^Quite.
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #14 - December 11, 2014, 03:57 PM

Egyptian Former UN Secretary General Boutros Boutros Ghali:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe5b-pZnQsQ

Old man seems to want a quiet retirement enjoying his upper class life style.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #15 - December 11, 2014, 04:19 PM

Nitwit.
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #16 - December 11, 2014, 09:35 PM

Well to be the devil's advocate here, he brings up a lot of good points. Disagree about downplaying freedom of expression, but then again, what was really netted in that regards through the demonstrations of the Arab Spring? Through popular movements in modern history of the middle east in general, over the last century?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #17 - December 17, 2014, 03:46 PM

Egyptian homophobia's Swiss defenders - from the Paper Bird blog
    http://paper-bird.net/2014/12/16/bullshnit-egyptian-homophobias-swiss-defenders/
  • World Assholes Day
     Reply #18 - January 30, 2015, 10:10 PM

http://www.madamasr.com/news/ramses-bathhouse-defendants-press-charges-against-journalist-behind-their-arrest
    The defense team that won an acquittal for the 26 men tried in the “Ramses bathhouse” case plans to file suit for libel and slander against the journalist who solicited their arrest....

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »