Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi! This is my story

(Read 4597 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi! This is my story
     OP - December 08, 2014, 10:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I just recently found this forum and your stories and thoughts made me curious. There are some things about religion I wanna talk about, but especially when it comes to Islam it's very difficult. There is no freedom of speech. And I don't now anyone I could talk to about these things. 

To myself:

I born in Germany (so excuse my English  whistling2) with Turkish parents. My family is religious, but expect from my mother no one does really practice or is interested in religion a lot. My father doesn't go to mosques. So I raised very liberal, and didn't care so much about religion.

This changed when I started with the university. I found new Turkish friends and I saw how serious they took their religion. They went to pray every Friday and I joined them. But soon I realized that I didn't feel comfortable about those things said during the prayers. The basic idea of it was "this life doesn't matter, important is the after life".

My friends tried to convert me more and more by talking about Islam now and then. The more I learned about it, the more anxious I got. I had the feeling that I have to change myself radically to escape hell.

But I simply couldn't. I didn't want to change myself. I had so many questions (most of them have already been written in this forum): What sense does it make to force people to pray? Why should anyone go to hell although he/she is a wonderful person? Is there any evidence at all, that all this is true?

However, when I finished my Bachelor studies I went to another city to continue with my Master studies. But after leaving my parental home, I struggled even more, because I couldn't decide if I should get orthodox, or if I should stay liberal. I read some books from liberal Muslims such as Nasr Hamid Abu Zaid and Mouhanad Khorchide who wrote that Islam is mercifulness. But somehow it didn't help. I couldn't overlook all the problems with Islam. I was still frightened of Islam. Every time someone talked about it I felt anxious.

So I finally decided to finish all this and just accept that this isn't real. Now I can live in freedom! The only reason why most of us are or were Muslims is because we were born in a Muslim family. If we were born in Japan our religion would be different.

But this isn't easy. Although my parents are quite open mined they don't want me to lose my religion. And also I didn't tell any of my friends about it. I fear that their reaction will not be nice.

How about you guys? Do your friends and family now that you're an Ex-Muslim?
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #1 - December 08, 2014, 10:43 PM

So I finally decided to finish all this and just accept that this isn't real. Now I can live in freedom! The only reason why most of us are or were Muslims is because we were born in a Muslim family. If we were born in Japan our religion would be different.

But this isn't easy...

You said it: It isn't easy!!

Losing your faith is only the start of the road. Most here are in the same situation. It might be wise to keep it quiet for now. Even liberal Muslims can react quite badly and rejection can be hard to deal with.

Welcome to the forum Smiley
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #2 - December 09, 2014, 12:12 AM

Welcome Smiley
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #3 - December 09, 2014, 01:33 AM

welcome!  parrot
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #4 - December 11, 2014, 06:41 PM

Thanks  parrot
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #5 - December 11, 2014, 11:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I just recently found this forum and your stories and thoughts made me curious. There are some things about religion I wanna talk about, but especially when it comes to Islam it's very difficult. There is no freedom of speech. And I don't now anyone I could talk to about these things. 

To myself:

I born in Germany (so excuse my English  whistling2) with Turkish parents. My family is religious, but expect from my mother no one does really practice or is interested in religion a lot. My father doesn't go to mosques. So I raised very liberal, and didn't care so much about religion.

This changed when I started with the university. I found new Turkish friends and I saw how serious they took their religion. They went to pray every Friday and I joined them. But soon I realized that I didn't feel comfortable about those things said during the prayers. The basic idea of it was "this life doesn't matter, important is the after life".

My friends tried to convert me more and more by talking about Islam now and then. The more I learned about it, the more anxious I got. I had the feeling that I have to change myself radically to escape hell.

But I simply couldn't. I didn't want to change myself. I had so many questions (most of them have already been written in this forum): What sense does it make to force people to pray? Why should anyone go to hell although he/she is a wonderful person? Is there any evidence at all, that all this is true?

However, when I finished my Bachelor studies I went to another city to continue with my Master studies. But after leaving my parental home, I struggled even more, because I couldn't decide if I should get orthodox, or if I should stay liberal. I read some books from liberal Muslims such as Nasr Hamid Abu Zaid and Mouhanad Khorchide who wrote that Islam is mercifulness. But somehow it didn't help. I couldn't overlook all the problems with Islam. I was still frightened of Islam. Every time someone talked about it I felt anxious.

But this isn't easy. Although my parents are quite open mined they don't want me to lose my religion. And also I didn't tell any of my friends about it. I fear that their reaction will not be nice.

How about you guys? Do your friends and family now that you're an Ex-Muslim?

Welcome Bro:) you are in the right place. I joined yesterday and so far it has been a great experience and it is going to be a nice experience of your life as well:)
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #6 - December 11, 2014, 11:58 PM

Thanks Bro Smiley Yes, you're right, this forum is great  Afro
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #7 - December 13, 2014, 02:38 AM

Welcome here!
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #8 - December 13, 2014, 03:27 AM

Hi there  parrot

I'm not an ex-muslim, but I know enough to be one  Tongue

I'm dealing with problems with my Christian family ever since I deconverted from that religion, so I can empathize with the journey of leaving religion. I hope you can maintain a good relationship with your family!

Anyway, welcome and enjoy your stay  Smiley

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #9 - December 18, 2014, 11:52 AM

Dont be scuuurrred (scared)   Smiley its all bullshyt  piggy Welcome

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #10 - December 18, 2014, 01:56 PM

Thank you guys.

@Xiis: I know, but still depending on my mood, I feel a bit anxious.

At the moment I'm reading two Ebooks:
    1. Ali Sina - Understanding Muhammad
    2. Ibn Warraq - Why I Am Not a Muslim

You can download them for free if you Google it.

They are interesting to read and make you understand how the religion was made. It basically says that Allah it's just a imaginary copy of Muhammad himself.

If I find time, I'll open I new blog thread  and try to summarize both books.

Do you have any recommendations for other books?

I also read  The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. But I'm more interested in books focusing on Islam.
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #11 - December 18, 2014, 02:12 PM

@ElToro: Sounds interesting if you mention Allah is a copy of Muhammad then Allah is imaginary who doesn't exist. its proven fact that there is no god. wow apostasy is just wonderful  grin12 alive and kickin  Afro
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #12 - December 18, 2014, 02:51 PM

@freemessenger: yes, Allah is Muhammad himself. He just uses "Allah" if he wants others to do something for him. No rules anymore, he is the king (god), who can decided about other peoples life. The Koran has not been revealed from a god in one day, it has been written over 23 years. Every time needed something, he just added a new verse. And no one could proof if he was simply just making up this verse, or if really "god" spoke to him. The first book from Ali Sina explains it pretty well.

Anyways by stopping in believing this lie, we can simply live freedom  dance 
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #13 - December 18, 2014, 03:43 PM

Well I missed you the first time so welcome to the forum ElToro, and have a rabbit!  bunny

I can relate to a lot of your feelings about Islam, especially being uncomfortable with the emphasis on the next life over this one. I was able to tell my immediate family about no longer believing in Islam, and from here on out plan to more or less be an open kafir. If you feel you are in a liberal enough environment, independent and safe, it might be worthwhile for you to consider doing the same. Its a very liberating experience to live freely without concern for such judgements of others, at least for me anyway.  Smiley

On the other hand, I never had too many close Muslim friends to lose so it might have been easier for me from that perspective.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #14 - December 18, 2014, 05:50 PM

You said it ElToro those are some real beautiul words mashallah Wink the more we are an apostate the more the real kick of the way we are living it as a kafir;)
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #15 - December 19, 2014, 01:38 AM

Welcome! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #16 - December 21, 2014, 08:12 PM

@asbie: thanks, I might consider it. Here a rabbit for you, too  bunny

@three: thanks  parrot
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #17 - December 21, 2014, 08:43 PM

@asbie: thanks, I might consider it. Here a rabbit for you, too  bunny

Thanks ElToro, always appreciate new stock. Afraid mine were getting a bit inbred. Grin

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #18 - December 21, 2014, 10:56 PM

Welcome!  parrot

I haven't told my kinda-ex husband (he left me for some rich man) that I've lost my faith, and he's the only family I have left. Don't really have many real-life Muslim friends; of the two I have, I told one (online) but not the other, but I haven't seen either of them in like six months or so? So I don't know. The one I told responded pretty badly.

Other than that all my Muslim friends were online or stopped talking to me for other reasons. I haven't told most of the online ones, I just silently unfriended them without saying anything. So, yeah, be safe is what I'm trying to say I guess, and if you're afraid your friends will respond poorly, and they're not actually people you NEED to interact with, just stop interacting with them.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #19 - December 23, 2014, 02:06 PM

@galfromusa: Thanks  parrot

I can imagine that. It's pretty a shame that you can't live open and free with Muslims as you could do with non-Muslims.
    My German or International friends wouldn't care at all if I'm an atheist or not.

I also keep distance to my Turkish friends since I moved to another city. Here I met new friends, who accept me as who I am and don't care about such personal things.
    It's up to everyone personally to believe or not. You can't change people. They tried to change me, but it didn't work out. 
  • Hi! This is my story
     Reply #20 - December 23, 2014, 07:33 PM

People from western Europe tend to care less about religion than people from other parts of the world. Especially in Germany they seem to share a belief that religion is a personal matter and not something that should be a part of your public life. America is way different; we've got roughly 350,000 religious congregations in the United States, or one per 900 people. If you go to any major city you can find a dozen insane people standing on street corners screaming some random Bible verses or prophecies of their own concoction. Or you can even see them on TV, if they have a blackboard to put their predictions on.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »