Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: ❀ What do you believe?

(Read 3142 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     OP - November 25, 2014, 09:47 PM

I guess most of us here are Atheist and believe there is no God. Although I still don't know how we ended up on Earth, what are your beliefs on it?

I had a conversation with my friend and he brought up 'the first cause argument'. He said, "The first cause argument says that everything in the universe has a cause and that cause must also have a cause. Let's say there is a pen, that came into existence by a person who made it, another person made that person who made the pen and another person made that person who made the person who made the pen, it goes on infinitely. There has to be a first cause, something to start the chain of causes and that is God."

Another friend had said she believes in evolution and that it was a mistake.

Bad news is:
    You cannot make people like, love, understand, validate,
    accept, or be nice to you. You can't control them either.
    Good news is:
    It doesn't matter.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #1 - November 25, 2014, 11:08 PM

I certainly don't believe there is a god in the way most people believe. I mean not the personal (and very human) god of most religions. One who takes an active interest in us, answers prayers, parts seas, punishes the 'wicked' and rewards the 'faithful'. I have absolutely no shred of a doubt that this god is a human constructed fiction.

If there is a god then 'it' is not something that falls within our sphere of understanding. Perhaps the closest I could come to guessing what such an entity might be is some sort of cosmic energy or force of nature.

On the other hand there may be no god at all, and life just 'happened' - which is no stranger than postulating a god.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #2 - November 26, 2014, 01:46 AM

believes in evolution and that it was a mistake.

The story so far:

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chapter 1 of "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams, 1980.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #3 - November 26, 2014, 01:47 AM

Of course the preface was:

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #4 - November 26, 2014, 02:05 AM

^ Cheesy
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #5 - November 26, 2014, 08:18 AM

I guess most of us here are Atheist and believe there is no God. Although I still don't know how we ended up on Earth, what are your beliefs on it?

Dunno about you, but I was born here.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #6 - November 26, 2014, 09:12 AM

I certainly don't believe there is a god in the way most people believe. I mean not the personal (and very human) god of most religions. One who takes an active interest in us, answers prayers, parts seas, punishes the 'wicked' and rewards the 'faithful'. I have absolutely no shred of a doubt that this god is a human constructed fiction.

If there is a god then 'it' is not something that falls within our sphere of understanding. Perhaps the closest I could come to guessing what such an entity might be is some sort of cosmic energy or force of nature.

On the other hand there may be no god at all, and life just 'happened' - which is no stranger than postulating a god.

Ye this is what I believe exactly

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #7 - November 26, 2014, 02:47 PM

There has to be a first cause, something to start the chain of causes and that is God.

Well that implies that God came about from nothing. Or has somehow always existed (if that is possible). In either of those scenarios, some kind of conscious entity exists without having a cause or purpose.

I am an atheist, so I believe that we most likely came about by chance. But now that we are here, we are able to put our own meaning or purpose on the Universe (sort of like how the Abrahamic God was said to have came about by chance and puts meaning and purpose into the Universe).

However someone who is quite smart pointed something out to me the other day that I thought was kind of interesting. We were discussing the Fermi Paradox, this is the paradox that since there are billions and billions of stars out there, there must be billions of planets that could support life. Many of these planets are much older than Earth (by billions of years). It took life on Earth less than 4 billion years to start exploring space. So why has no other intelligent life (on other much older worlds) come to find us yet? His answer was that maybe they have already found us and they are just watching us to see how we develop....

I thought that was a pretty interesting concept that would solve the paradox quite neatly.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #8 - November 26, 2014, 03:34 PM

Don't understand why any weight is put into the Fermi "Paradox". It was just a casual conversation between Fermi and his colleagues.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #9 - November 26, 2014, 03:37 PM

So what is your answer to the paradox then?
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #10 - November 26, 2014, 03:43 PM

There are many. You've mentioned one.  Smiley
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #11 - November 26, 2014, 03:56 PM

Yes, there are. But which one do you find most convincing?
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #12 - November 26, 2014, 04:36 PM

I would say it's a combination of several things. The possible rarity of life, the likely long distance between said life and the incredibly long time it would be needed to go from Point A to B, the rarity of two or more self-aware, intelligent species, with compatible communication methods, existing in a compatible time frame, the numerous things that can cause the extinction of said life before contact, etc. etc.

Another friend had said she believes in evolution and that it was a mistake.

Huh?
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #13 - November 26, 2014, 05:40 PM

Yes I think all of that is pretty reasonable.

But look how far we have come in the last 100 years. Imagine how far we will have gone in the next 100,000 years. But still this is only the beginning in terms of the life of our Solar System. And imagine how far a civilization may have gone with a billion year head start. Even if 99.999% of them go extinct before they reach that level, it still should follow logically that at least 1 would have colonized the entire galaxy by now...
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #14 - November 26, 2014, 09:33 PM

I beleive that Ri is fucking mental and should get a life because she smells of Ugg boots and shows her legs.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #15 - November 26, 2014, 09:34 PM

GO WEAR A BIN BAG

Bad news is:
    Good news is:
    It doesn't matter.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #16 - November 26, 2014, 09:35 PM

It's obvious you two are in love. Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #17 - November 26, 2014, 09:47 PM

Ri - I understand that you have brain issues. Please recharge those batteries.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #18 - November 26, 2014, 09:48 PM

Please change your face.. or in this world, get plastic surgery, Sir MJ.

Bad news is:
    Good news is:
    It doesn't matter.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #19 - November 26, 2014, 09:49 PM

The Dajjal called. He wants his one eye back.

• ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #20 - November 26, 2014, 09:49 PM

King Kong called. He wants his hairy legs back.

Bad news is:
    Good news is:
    It doesn't matter.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #21 - November 26, 2014, 09:50 PM

The Chipmunks called. They want their voice back.

• ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #22 - November 26, 2014, 09:50 PM

The same voice you want bedtime stories read in? Oh.. okay, your loss.  Afro

Bad news is:
    Good news is:
    It doesn't matter.
  • ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #23 - November 26, 2014, 09:54 PM

• ❀ What do you believe?
     Reply #24 - November 26, 2014, 10:41 PM

I believe I can fly
    I believe I can touch the sky
    I think about it every night and day
    Spread my wings and fly away
    I believe I can soar
    I see me running through that open door
    I believe I can fly
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »