Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How to point out problems in the Quran and what?

(Read 9148 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How to point out problems in the Quran and what?
     Reply #30 - December 26, 2014, 02:13 PM

Some buggers (who were Muslim at the time this verse was made up) had sworn an oath to raise their kids as Jews. Mo didn't want them to, so "revealed" another in his long list of very-convenient-at-the-time verses, in which Allah declared that there should be "no compulsion in religion". In context, this meant the parents should not compel their kids to be Jews since Islam was obviously the true religion (ergo the bit about "the path of guidance stands out clear from error", where Islam is the former and "error" is any other religion) and it would be a bad thing to force your kids to be raised under a false religion.

In other words, when originally "revealed" that verse was not a call for more religious diversity, but for less religious diversity (ie: keeping everyone Muslim).

Furthermore, under Islamic jurisprudence it was interpreted in a particular manner. To reconcile the words of that verse with other inconveniently contradictory words elsewhere, which did advocate for compulsion (up to and including killing apostates, as well as "fighting the unbelievers wherever you find them) 2:256 was interpreted to mean that the authorities could not literally compel religious belief, so that inside your own head you could believe whatever you wanted to, but that this didn't contravene the right of the authorities to compel behaviour, so that the social and religious status quo could be maintained by force if necessary.

This is without even getting into abrogation quandaries, which is a whole 'nother minefield.

What about the verse stating "For you your religion, and for me mine" from Surah Kafirun? This has also been used to portray Islam as promoting tolerance.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #31 - December 26, 2014, 06:13 PM

asbie

I am thinking about how to best explain that. To him women are not equal. And while others will doubt it is god's word because of what it says about women, he will think god just thinks women are inferior.  lipsrsealed
    I think he really does want a little slave that caters to him all day and shuts up when told, follows all orders etc. How does he expect anyone to truly love him  with this treatment?

Interesting. I did not know it said that. How ironic.

You could drop the whole Islam side of my point. Relationships are about compromise not conforming. At times a compromise leaves both sides on the losing end. Religion being very personal is going to be a conflicting factor. There is no compromising of a religious belief.
     Reply #32 - December 27, 2014, 12:58 AM

Thanks, Os.

Now awaiting your Nutella answer to Asbie's question.
     Reply #33 - December 27, 2014, 10:02 PM

It involves puppy dogs and roses, and smiley rainbows.  Tongue

That's called "bestiality".

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #34 - December 27, 2014, 10:04 PM

What about the verse stating "For you your religion, and for me mine" from Surah Kafirun? This has also been used to portray Islam as promoting tolerance.

I think we can tell how tolerant he was by the number of polytheists left in Mecca today.

Reply #35 - December 28, 2014, 03:10 AM

Some buggers (who were Muslim at the time this verse was made up) had sworn an oath to raise their kids as Jews. Mo didn't want them to, so "revealed" another in his long list of very-convenient-at-the-time verses, in which Allah declared that there should be "no compulsion in religion". In context, this meant the parents should not compel their kids to be Jews since Islam was obviously the true religion (ergo the bit about "the path of guidance stands out clear from error", where Islam is the former and "error" is any other religion) and it would be a bad thing to force your kids to be raised under a false religion.

In other words, when originally "revealed" that verse was not a call for more religious diversity, but for less religious diversity (ie: keeping everyone Muslim).

Furthermore, under Islamic jurisprudence it was interpreted in a particular manner. To reconcile the words of that verse with other inconveniently contradictory words elsewhere, which did advocate for compulsion (up to and including killing apostates, as well as "fighting the unbelievers wherever you find them) 2:256 was interpreted to mean that the authorities could not literally compel religious belief, so that inside your own head you could believe whatever you wanted to, but that this didn't contravene the right of the authorities to compel behaviour, so that the social and religious status quo could be maintained by force if necessary.

This is without even getting into abrogation quandaries, which is a whole 'nother minefield.

That's the first time i've heard it explained that way. Sources?
     Reply #36 - December 28, 2014, 03:11 AM

Define "truly love".
    Not sure if he's really interested in that, tbh.

I know that he wishes for nothing more, but is so brainwashed into thinking that true love will lay at his feet and do anything he wants. He looks for a pretty shell to turn into "true love"...which just does not work.

Translation: "when you are here and you are Muslim wife things you will be different, or else."

lol....I figured.

☽Nyd byp nearu on breostan; weorpep hi peah oft nipa bearnum, to helpe and to haele gehwaere, gif hi his hlystap aeror.☾
    Trouble is oppressive to the heart;
    yet often it proves a source of help and salvation
    to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes.
     Reply #37 - December 28, 2014, 03:19 AM

three
    Most men like that- at least the ones I have known, automatically discount everything a woman says that they do not agree with. Because they truly believe with every fibre of their being that women are weak and deficient in intelligence. Women argue back because they do not accept the wisdom of their betters, they have no control, feel instead of think, and that sort of trash. Who can argue with the perception that men are gods, when the man believes it? Like arguing with a drunk. Drunk on misogyny.

Very interesting...and I think you're right and it really might be like arguing with a drunk. I still need to get a few things off my chest though because I held back some things not to create religious debates. I also feel sorry for him being "mislead"...He wasn't always religious, believe it or not and I know he doubts a few things sometimes.
    I want to point him into the right direction with some great info I have found here and also on YouTube. I think it would free him and he could live a happier life. Not with me, but maybe I can at least leave some food for thought behind. Wink

☽Nyd byp nearu on breostan; weorpep hi peah oft nipa bearnum, to helpe and to haele gehwaere, gif hi his hlystap aeror.☾
     Reply #38 - December 28, 2014, 07:24 AM

That's the first time i've heard it explained that way. Sources?

Ok, you made me do a bit of homework. I hate doing homework. Tongue

Anywayz, upshot of it is that the stuff about Islamic jurisprudence is solid (I knew it was).
    If you want a quick rundown on it, have a read of this PDF: Islam and Religious Freedom

Longer version here if you want your brain frazzled: No compulsion in religion: Q. 2:256 in Medieval and Modern Interpretation

The stuff about Islam being regarded as the "truth" that "stands out from error" is also obviously the case, since Mohammed obviously did claim Islam was the true religion, and Christianity and Judaism were not. However, even in cases where it (2:256) was accepted to mean "no forced conversions" that was only accepted as applying to "People of the Book", and not to everyone.

So, for example, it wouldn't have been taken as applying to polytheists, or atheists for that matter. See Islam Question and Answer: There is no compulsion to accept Islam for a standard position.

The scholars explained that these two verses, and other similar verses, have to do with those from whom the jizyah may be taken, such as Jews, Christians and Magians (Zoroastrians). They are not to be forced, rather they are to be given the choice between becoming Muslim or paying the jizyah.

Other scholars said that this applied in the beginning, but was subsequently abrogated by Allaah’s command to fight and wage jihad. So whoever refuses to enter Islam should be fought when the Muslims are able to fight, until they either enter Islam or pay the jizyah if they are among the people who may pay jizyah. The kuffaar should be compelled to enter Islam if they are not people from whom the jizyah may be taken, because that will lead to their happiness and salvation in this world and in the Hereafter.

Regarding the stuff about kids being raised Muslim or Jewish, it seems that the most authoritative sources (some Muslim, but including Patricia Crone) are saying that the verse actually refers to not forcing kids (born of non-Jewish mothers) who were already being raised as Jews (due to oaths sworn by their birth mothers) to convert back to Islam. So, at the moment I can't find a really solid source that says it was the other way around (ie: about not raising the kids as Jews).

Next question is: where did I get that idea from? Did some more digging, and it seems to be something I picked up here. This indicates that, since the people I apparently picked it up from are ex-Muslims, it must have been something they were taught at some stage. Examples:

Reflections on 'There is no compulsion in religion' from Surat Al-Baqarah

Al-Alethia:

The verse was actually revealed in relation to some Arabs who took oaths that their children will be raised Jewish; it's basically telling them that there's "no compulsion in religion" in the sense that they don't have to follow the oath and make sure the kids are Jewish, i.e, they can convert them to Islam.

No compulsion in religion? What does the Quran say?
    I thought the no compulsion in religion verse was used to end a Arabian tradition of promising to convert their sick children to Judaism if they survived the sickness.

Yeah what Woodrow said. Within context that's what it meant.

Secular society versus Religious society
    Countering this verse using abrogation is only one angle.

In fact this verse when revealed was intended to convince the pagans that when they converted to Islam that it was not compulsory for their children to remain in their religion of birth. Therefore they should be converted also.

Also in those days when children got sick parents prayed that if they got better they would convert them to Judaism. Muhammad revealed this verse to tell them there was no compulsion to convert to Judaism.

Here is the hadith that explains its origins:

When the children of a woman (in pre-islamic days) did not survive, she took a vow on herself that if her child survives, she would convert it to a Jew. When Banu an-Nadir were expelled (from Arabia), there were some children of the Ansar (helpers) among them. They said: We shall not leave our children. So Allah the Exalted revealed; ?Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clear from error.? (SAD 14:2676)

So what was really meant by this verse is Islam is truth and other religions are error. Do not leave your children in other religions but convert them to Islam.

It was strictly one way. Once in Islam you are under compulsion to stay Muslim.

So the need to bring up naskh (abrogration) is not even necessary for this verse.

Now I'm not sure where they got this interpretation from. On the face of it though, it does appear to be as plausible as the opposite interpretation. The verse itself doesn't actually say whose children were involved, or how. The relevant hadith seems ambiguous, in that (at least in the English translation) it's hard to figure out who is saying they won't abandon their kids (birth parents or foster parents?) and equally hard to figure out whether the hadith is claiming that the kids in question should be left to be raised as Jews or not. It could be read either way.

Ok you murtadeen, what's going on here? Calling all CEMB shcolars! bunny

Reply #39 - December 28, 2014, 07:50 AM

Ok, found a bit more. Dug up the relevant section of Tafsir Ibn Kathir

Ibn Jarir recorded that Ibn Abbas said (that before Islam),

"When (an Ansar) woman would not bear children who would live, she would vow that if she gives birth to a child who remains alive, she would raise him as a Jew.

When Banu An-Nadir (the Jewish tribe) were evacuated (from Al-Madinah), some of the children of the Ansar were being raised among them, and the Ansar said, `We will not abandon our children.'

Allah revealed, لاَ إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ  (There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path).'' Abu Dawud and An-Nasa'i also recorded this Hadith.

So that at least clarifies who was refusing to abandon their children (birth parents). However, it's still ambiguous about whether the kids should be required to remain Jewish or not. Usually, under Islamic law, the children of Muslim (birth) parents are automatically regarded as being Muslim.

Reply #40 - December 28, 2014, 11:33 AM

@osmanthus good job on the homework  Afro I'd say it still appears to be an ambiguous issue. It also makes it harder because we aren't sure which verses abrogate others as the Qur'an is compiled by length of chapters, not chronologically. A lot of "authentic" ahadith are untrustworthy, contain scientific inaccuracies or are completely unethical. The problem is the "clear" Qur'an is close to impossible to interpret without them.  Muslims are then faced with a dilemma to become accept the problematic ahadith, or become a Quranist and have problems interpreting the verses due to lack of context. Or you could just reject any hadith that doesn't really jive with you   Afro
     Reply #41 - December 28, 2014, 12:56 PM

Some Muslims will reject hadtih which contradict the Quran. The issue with this is that it is pure confirmation bias. There is no research into how such contradictory hadith were made, why these were accepted, why these accepted in most authentic and valid collections. Discard whatever does not fit the current modern views on concepts of slavery, women, etc and make it fit. However many people realize this is just attempting to put a square block through a circular hole. The square being their current values and the circle being Islamic tradition and history.

Reply #42 - December 28, 2014, 07:44 PM

@osmanthus good job on the homework  Afro I'd say it still appears to be an ambiguous issue. It also makes it harder because we aren't sure which verses abrogate others as the Qur'an is compiled by length of chapters, not chronologically

There's fairly good consensus on the order.

A lot of "authentic" ahadith are untrustworthy, contain scientific inaccuracies or are completely unethical.

A lot of Muslims don't regard this as problematic. Wink

The problem is the "clear" Qur'an is close to impossible to interpret without them.  Muslims are then faced with a dilemma to become accept the problematic ahadith, or become a Quranist and have problems interpreting the verses due to lack of context. Or you could just reject any hadith that doesn't really jive with you   Afro

Or you could accept any old hadith, except when someone points it out in a way that you find problematic at the time, in which case you could instantly disavow it, and then go back to accepting it as soon as the problematic person goes away.

Reply #43 - December 28, 2014, 07:45 PM

Anyway I want to hear what Abu Ali and HappyMurtad and Cornflower say about this. If those three can agree, it's as close to divine revelation as we'll get.  grin12

Reply #44 - December 29, 2014, 06:17 PM

threeVery interesting...and I think you're right and it really might be like arguing with a drunk. I still need to get a few things off my chest though because I held back some things not to create religious debates. I also feel sorry for him being "mislead"...He wasn't always religious, believe it or not and I know he doubts a few things sometimes.
    I want to point him into the right direction with some great info I have found here and also on YouTube. I think it would free him and he could live a happier life. Not with me, but maybe I can at least leave some food for thought behind. Wink

Wouldn't it be better to just let it go completely and focus on things that ARE good for you? You're never going to change him, I would suggest to let it be and live you own life. Sorry if I sound harsh, but experience has taught me this is just a waste of energy. Good luck in finding a truly nice guy  Kiss
     Reply #45 - December 30, 2014, 03:25 PM

Well I started this thread because I wanted to pass some info to him. I want to finish that. I know chances are very high it won't change anything. But I feel better having at least tried to help out than not having tried anything at all.
    And it also makes me personally feel better because it gives me closure. I listened to a lot of religious BS these past weeks and said I will show him flaws in his religion and he agreed to have a look. He can do with the info whatever he wants but I want to at least do what I said I will do.

Reply #46 - December 30, 2014, 04:19 PM

That's true. Hope you can have your say and then let it go. You got a good look at his views and you don't fit in them.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »