Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What Else? Camel Hump?

(Read 4016 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     OP - November 20, 2014, 12:57 PM

YOU CAN'T WEAR YOUR HAIR IN A BUN, IT'S HARAM, YOU'LL GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!
    First of all - It is not "haram" - that is a very harsh statement and not the right word used - you will be held accountable for making such statements so for your own safety please refrain from making such rulings.

In the times of the jahliya women used to adorn them selves by the thinning of their eyebrows and walking in luring ways to attract the attention of men, that included swaying of the hair and adorning oneself by placing the hair high up on the head as a means of attraction. These acts are prohibited in Islam and were mainly found in prostitutes of those times - you will find more muslim women these days plucking their eye brows which is visible on the face than women wearing a high bun under their hijab whereas the hair cannot be visibly seen. (some) scholars have agreed upon that the camel hump referred in the hadith does not directly imply to the hair iteslf - rather the manner/the way the women carries herself when she adorns herself with pride, pomp and arrogance in any way. At all times she must display herself with modestly as the phrophet (saw) said " Every religion has a character and the character of Islam is Haya ( modesty ). Modesty is for men as well as women - so men walking around in tight jeans and tight muscular tops showing off their abs ( or flabs) with slick hari do's, clean shaven, eye brows plucked, is as much prohibited in Islam as a women not adorning full Hijab.

Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “There are two categories among the inhabitants of Hell whom I have not encountered. The first are people who carry whips like the tails of cows and beat the people with them. The second are women, clothed yet naked, drawn to licentiousness and enticing others to it, their heads like the swaying humps of camels – they will neither enter Paradise nor even smell its fragrance, though its fragrance can be found to a great distance.” [Sahîh Muslim (2127)]
    The meaning of the hadîth:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) describes in this hadîth two groups of people that will be among the inhabitants of Hell. We benefit from this, since it serves as a warning for us not to be like those people.

When the Prophet (peace be upon him) says – “There are two categories of the inhabitants of Hell whom I have not encountered.” – he means that he has never encountered these two groups of people in the world, though he has knowledge by way of revelation from Allah that those people will be among the denizens of Hell.

With respect to the people who carry whips like the tails of cows and beat the people, al-Nawawî in his famous commentary on Sahih Muslim, says the description matches the youths employed in his day as police officers by the chief of police.

Its legal implications:

This hadîth is clear evidence for the prohibition of wearing skimpy or revealing clothing that does not properly what Islamic law requires to be concealed.

It is also cited by some scholars as evidence that a woman cannot wear her hair in a bun tied on top of her head. This matter, however, needs to be considered in greater depth.

The best way to understand textual evidence – especially when it comes to the legal implications of the sacred texts – is to examine the texts with the full implications of their meanings and their context to ensure that we have a clear and thorough concept of what the text is talking about. This comes after understanding each term and each phrase of the text on its own.

One of the best examples to illustrate the necessity of this approach is the hadîth where the Prophet (peace be upon him) describes the second of the categories of the inhabitants of Hell, saying: “women, clothed yet naked, drawn to licentiousness and enticing others to it, their heads like the swaying humps of camels…” [Sahîh Muslim (2127)]

In order to understand this hadîth correctly, we must have a full understand of what the Prophet (peace be upon him) is describing. If we neglect or fail to appreciate the implications of some of the words and meanings given in the text, then we will consequently fail to understand any aspect of the text properly.

When we consider this text in full, we discern that the Prophet (peace be upon him) is not discussing the heads of women as a topic on its own, nor is he discussing their clothing on its own, nor is he discussing their behavior in isolation.

From this, we must recognize that the Prophet (peace be upon him) is describing a type of woman – a type that is wanton and uninhibited in every possible way. Such a woman dresses improperly; she does not cover what Islamic Law requires her to cover. She is drawn to men and she actively invites their attentions. She employs the limbs of her body in provocative ways and displays her charms in the way that she moves.

It is significant that the hadîth describes the humps of camels as “flopping” or “leaning”. This is quite different from the customary styles that women usually use when they bind their hair atop their heads, where the bun or pile is strait on top of the head and not swaying from side to side.

We must also note that the hadîth does not refer to the hair itself but refers in more general terms to the head. This means that the hadîth is not just talking about the swaying of the woman’s hair, but rather to the way the woman holds and tosses her head in a provocative manner.

On the basis of this realization, we come to the conclusion – and Allah knows best – that the text is not actually prohibiting any particular hairstyle on its own. It is permissible for a woman to bind her hair in any way she wishes – even to pile her hair up and secure it atop her head – as long as she strictly adheres to the well-known dictates of Islamic Law in her dress and her conduct.

A woman must cover everything that Islamic Law requires her to cover when she goes out in public, including all of her hair. She must also be modest in her behavior and conduct. She should lower her gaze from men and not invite their attentions. This is what matters. If she carried herself in this manner, then she can any hairstyle she likes, as long as that hairstyle is not masculine. This is because the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah curses men who imitate women and women who imitate men.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5885)]

And Allah knows best.

https://m.facebook.com/MuslimsAgainstWahhabismTerrorism/posts/230595440435755
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #1 - November 20, 2014, 01:47 PM

Don't let your hair loose, don't tie it up in a bun, don't cut it short or shave it off (because that is frowned upon and on judgement day you won't have hair to cover your nakedness, or so I was told) so... the solution is pretty clear! Don't leave your room, ever! Problem solved.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #2 - November 20, 2014, 02:00 PM

"And stay in your homes" -allah already covered that Smiley

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #3 - November 20, 2014, 02:06 PM

When my classmate told me about it, she had a dead serious face.

One does not simply not laught at such hadiths...
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #4 - November 20, 2014, 05:42 PM

Wtf is it with all of this tagging on of 'Allah knows best' at the end of every explanation for an obviously archaic and nonsensical hadith or Quranic passage? It's like saying 'Allah knows best' neutralises the bullshit that has preceded the phrase, and negates the need to question any of the nonsense at all.

I'm not entirely convinced that Allah does actually know best. In fact, if this is the kind of advice he has to offer his people, then I believe that my five year old knows better. At least he is nice to people and nice about people. At least his contradictions are tinier in comparison, his judgements less severe, and his worldview more egalitarian. At least sexism and racism don't exist in his book, and when he sees a pretty woman adorning the world with all of her glorious charms, he doesn't feel like his prophet should marry her, or his followers should enslave her, or that his people should subdue her beauty and incarcerate her within a physical and spiritual shell... Allah knows best? Does he fuck.

My five year old knows best.

Hi
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #5 - November 20, 2014, 05:55 PM

^Exaclty.  yes

If Allah created life and muslims venerate him for that, logic follows that women should be venerated as well, since they give birth.
    Sometimes I wonder if the myth of Eve, who somehow popped out of Adam, is a  reflection of the male inferiority complex.
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #6 - November 20, 2014, 06:01 PM

Or a way to subdue and oppress womankind, from insecure, sexist, jealous and egotistical males. I apologise on our behalf.

Hi
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #7 - November 20, 2014, 06:05 PM

You are a good person. Do not apologize  far away hug
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #8 - November 20, 2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks  Smiley

I think I am. Mostly.

Hi
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #9 - November 20, 2014, 09:58 PM

It's all about controlling women; controlling how they dress, controlling how they walk and move around, controlling how they wear their hair.  Once again men are excused from having to have any self control and the onus is put on women to stay virtuous and chaste because, you know, boys will be boys.  mysmilie_977

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #10 - November 20, 2014, 10:00 PM

I'm reading a book about life in Saudi Arabia right now and I get so cheesed off at how the Saudis seem to delight in being completely ignorant of women's needs and delight in isolating, mistreating, and abusing them all in the name of their stupid Wahabbi ideology.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #11 - November 21, 2014, 07:14 AM

Sometimes I wonder if the myth of Eve, who somehow popped out of Adam, is a  reflection of the male inferiority complex.

You are definitely on to something. Actually, I'll re-visit other origin stories and give some thought to what this says about the patriarchal Abrahamic culture and religion(s) etc. Afro

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • What Else? Camel Hump?
     Reply #12 - November 21, 2014, 09:25 AM

^Exaclty.  yes

If Allah created life and muslims venerate him for that, logic follows that women should be venerated as well, since they give birth.

Yup, scientifically it the wrong way around as well. Scientifically males are messed up females due to a distorted 2nd sex chromosome. Also everybody's mitochondria are from their mothers, with a separate piece of DNA from way in the past.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »