Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Need advice from people that know both sides

(Read 7128 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Need advice from people that know both sides
     Reply #30 - November 18, 2014, 01:31 AM

three
    That is exactly the way I am thinking. I am a mother first and a lover second. I will chose to only be a mother if my idea of love is not accepted. In my experience, if you are not compatible, it does cause lovers to distance themselves too and often relations will naturally end.

Then I do not worry for you. How a man treats a child that is not his is a great indicator of whether he is worth your time.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #31 - November 18, 2014, 05:36 AM

Nyd,

I made this comment bc of the amount of western women like you who post the same story over and over again.  He is moderate but lately he has been pushing me in this direction or his actions are proving otherwise.  But I love him and want to see if he will change. etc etc etc.....This sounds like a lifetime movie set up.

Sometimes I wonder if we are being trolled.  That is why I asked if these men were different when you first met them.

I refuse to believe that these men were sparkling liberal minded men to begin with.  I think you have been purposefully mislead or perhaps the writing was already on the wall but you just wanted him despite the early warning signs. 

You mentioned in one of your replies that he is vague sometimes when you question him bc you think that he thinks if he is honest he will scare you away.   piggy

Could I be wrong? Could he after you questioning him about Islam change his mind and become liberal? Sure but having grown up in a Sunni household and in a orthodox muslim community in the west I know how unlikely that is. 

For your sake I hope I am wrong bc you seem to be deeply into him.

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
     Reply #32 - November 18, 2014, 07:15 AM

three
    That is exactly the way I am thinking. I am a mother first and a lover second. I will chose to only be a mother if my idea of love is not accepted. In my experience, if you are not compatible, it does cause lovers to distance themselves too and often relations will naturally end.

Then I do not worry for you. How a man treats a child that is not his is a great indicator of whether he is worth your time.

Impressive quotation skills three Wink I can learn from you.

Hi
     Reply #33 - November 18, 2014, 11:15 AM

Welcome to the forum Nyd, and thanks for sharing your story.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #34 - November 18, 2014, 04:43 PM

My last husband did that. Said he did not believe this and that and when it came down to it, it was all he believed. It was deliberate deceit.

In a way I think it might be better if someone is open about their intentions.
    We had a talk where he said how he envisions his future life with all cultural and religious things.
    I immediately did not agree with it and we have had more debates since. We are both just trying to see where it goes right now.

☽Nyd byp nearu on breostan; weorpep hi peah oft nipa bearnum, to helpe and to haele gehwaere, gif hi his hlystap aeror.☾
    Trouble is oppressive to the heart;
    yet often it proves a source of help and salvation
    to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes.
     Reply #35 - November 18, 2014, 05:16 PM

Nyd,
    I made this comment bc of the amount of western women like you who post the same story over and over again.  He is moderate but lately he has been pushing me in this direction or his actions are proving otherwise.  But I love him and want to see if he will change. etc etc etc.....This sounds like a lifetime movie set up.

I refuse to believe that these men were sparkling liberal minded men to begin with.  I think you have been purposefully mislead or perhaps the writing was already on the wall but you just wanted him despite the early warning signs. 

You misunderstand the time frame, we have been talking a bit over a month online and on skype only... and while we are seriously into each other we did not make any rash decisions or even consider ourselves boyfriend/ girlfriend. We are only getting to know each other atm. He talked about his ideal life right away and I did too to see if we are compatible. I am in my early 30's, I screen a man now before getting further involved because I don't have all the time in the world. I want more children too. So whoever does not fit this, is off my list. So in a way we have been picking each others brain about this.

I also don't see it as "changing him". Because it isn't character flaws, he is a perfect person and very much like me, but he has a different belief and grew up with different traditions. If he were to show any warning signs like aggression etc. I would have long walked away.

I think the fact that he already went against so many traditional values by going for a 32 year old double divorcee with a small child that likes metal, has several tattoos and piercings (5 facial piercings alone) etc....means he is not all too stuck on the traditional type. Did I mention I have had many health issues too?
    I find he has a big heart and doesn't necessarily think with his head. Maybe that gives us a chance at making this work.

The only annoying part, is him suggesting Islam to me, or rather talking about it a lot. But I'm not the victim in this, we both think we are right, and we both try to change each other. He is in as much conflict as I am and pursuing me has been risky for him too because I question his culture and religion that is so deeply rooted into him.

You mentioned in one of your replies that he is vague sometimes when you question him bc you think that he thinks if he is honest he will scare you away.   piggy
    Could I be wrong? Could he after you questioning him about Islam change his mind and become liberal? Sure but having grown up in a Sunni household and in a orthodox muslim community in the west I know how unlikely that is. 
    For your sake I hope I am wrong bc you seem to be deeply into him.

He has been vague but keep in mind that during the first few weeks hardly any couple will talk about such things. It is normal to get to know each other with more casual chatter and if you are really into someone you will find out more.

I see it this way: if I don't try to see if we can agree on things, I will never know. And I don't want to have to live with the regret of not having seen where this goes either.

☽Nyd byp nearu on breostan; weorpep hi peah oft nipa bearnum, to helpe and to haele gehwaere, gif hi his hlystap aeror.☾
     Reply #36 - November 18, 2014, 05:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Nyd, and thanks for sharing your story.

Thank you!!  Smiley

Reply #37 - November 19, 2014, 02:38 AM

Impressive quotation skills three Wink I can learn from you.

Yeah. Usually I care, and thankfully that was one time I did not. I need to loosen up on the anxiety.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #38 - November 19, 2014, 10:55 AM

Welcome to the forums!

You are hoping he will change, he is hoping you will change. Ultimately you are both hoping the other will change because neither of you are currently happy with the other exactly as they are.

If his family are "traditional" (aka intolerant) then you will at least be expected to pretend to be a Muslim when they are around otherwise it will put a strain on his life with his family.

Your biggest problem though is having children. It is the Muslim husband's duty to ensure his family is kept in order, Islamically speaking, so he will ensure they are circumcised, that they will get a proper education (i.e. be brainwashed), and grow up to be good Muslims.  You need to seriously research what this entails before committing your unborn children to such a lifestyle that is very difficult to leave.

In my frank opinion you would be better off finding someone else.  Don't try to change him, try to find the person you are attempting to turn him into.
     Reply #39 - November 19, 2014, 11:10 AM

Read this
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27714.0

Sounds exactly the same as at least two women at my children's school.  Mid-life crises led to more religious conviction, and guess who was expected to change, and did so in order to keep their families together? Jeans to Burqa for one of them, sad.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »