Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Need advice from people that know both sides

(Read 7138 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Need advice from people that know both sides
     OP - November 16, 2014, 02:17 AM

Edit: I noticed some answers are based on not knowing all detail. Maybe it would help to also read the long story and development for better evaluation: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27721.msg794466#msg794466

I was thinking long and hard before registering. I was never faced with Islam before, but now I find myself in a relationship with a Muslim (from Turkey but Kazakh).

My beliefs can probably be best described as agnostic, though I understand some atheism too and I study Pagan beliefs and witchcraft/ supernatural/ paranormal etc. I see myself as not religious...I don't really care all that much.
    I am Eurasian and live in Germany, where beliefs are rarely discussed. No one cares. There are religious people of course, but they don't bother preaching.

To be honest religion scares me a bit. With every belief I have always found something that just did not add up or that I did not agree with. I really can not grasp how someone could strictly follow the Bible, Quran or whatever.

I did not want to change his belief really, because I feel it is something personal and it would not be nice to interfere. At first I was hoping we could peacefully co-exist. But I quickly noticed he is very religious and fairly traditional :/ and I am about as modern European as they get.

He keeps trying to convince me of his belief and it is getting really hard to deal with it. I can sense that he feels I am the one who is ignorant, narrow minded, wrong and he is genuinely worried about my soul and just wants to help.
    He is such a good and caring person and he is intelligent. It is very sad for both of us that this keeps creating problems. He hopes I will change and I hope he will....

I don't have a problem with him believing in god at all, but he is taking the Quran so "literal"...Maybe I would want to show him some flaws in the Quran to hear his opinion about it. I'd rather not do that, but at this point I don't know what to do.
    I am interested to learn about everyone's experiences here and the reason you gave up Islam. And how your beliefs are now!

Nyd

☽Nyd byp nearu on breostan; weorpep hi peah oft nipa bearnum, to helpe and to haele gehwaere, gif hi his hlystap aeror.☾
    Trouble is oppressive to the heart;
    yet often it proves a source of help and salvation
    to the children of men, to everyone who heeds it betimes.
     Reply #1 - November 16, 2014, 02:24 AM

My advice would be having been in a situation like yours before my bf apostatised would be to find the most simple but striking issues with the qu'ran and hadith to talk about. Especially pertinent are ones you find where his attitude does not reflect his supposed beliefs. 

Do the above for a while, but if he comes around to the point where you felt threatened by his attitudes I would advise leaving this relationship, perhaps remaining friends.

Would say that his traditional Islamo-Turkish cultural mores and your liberal-enlightenment European values would make a clash with the risk of severe pain on both sides. Are you for instance willing to have a child circumcised if this bf would want it? If not then you simply cannot enter into it safely due to a culture clash.
     Reply #2 - November 16, 2014, 02:25 AM

Also welcome in  parrot
     Reply #3 - November 16, 2014, 02:30 AM

Thank you! Smiley

Btw. I can't modify my account settings...is this normal or is something wrong on my end?

☽Nyd byp nearu on breostan; weorpep hi peah oft nipa bearnum, to helpe and to haele gehwaere, gif hi his hlystap aeror.☾
     Reply #4 - November 16, 2014, 02:34 AM

It is normal at the beginning, to prevent spammers and trolls from infiltrating the systems.

You should get privileges after proving yourself not one of these things.
     Reply #5 - November 16, 2014, 02:45 AM

Apparently I proved myself right now  Wink thanks!

Reply #6 - November 16, 2014, 02:49 AM

Good stuff. You might not yet be able to post links but welcome in buddyoo!

Might be of some interest to you to read Lua's posts, as well as this other newbies intro.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27714.0
     Reply #7 - November 16, 2014, 03:14 AM

Welcome to the forum Nyd  Smiley

We have many people here who understand what you're experiencing.

You don't want to change his belief, does he feel the same towards you? Sometimes with Islam there is a non reciprocal, one way street aspect which sadly doesn't allow for true mutual exchange and concession. Not always, of course, many Muslims are open minded. But sometimes Islam does take that shape and its something to remember.

You are amongst friends here  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - November 16, 2014, 01:10 PM

Thank you for the links Lilyesque! Smiley

billy
    Thank you!
    He tends to be vague about his religious and cultural intentions. Even if I ask he will "beat around the bush". I think that is because he does not want to scare me and sound too harsh and he can't lie.
    He says he is not pushing me but our life's might be hard if we don't agree on this. Then of course there is his family too that might break with him.
    And he worries about me after life.

He is also open minded to other things but Islam is the ultimate truth to him.

Reply #9 - November 16, 2014, 02:06 PM

I think you deserve to have your own personal convictions respected. That he worries about your afterlife seems sweet, but it also means that to him you are an outsider, and a sinner. He is not viewing you as equal. This is a real problem, because even if you are a perfectly practicing Muslim woman, you are still not his equal. Islam does not teach equality between genders, and that is stated factually in Islamic texts, Quran and Hadith. I have had Muslims deny it up and down until you point out the verses to them.

If his family would ¨punish¨ him or have some sort of repercussion for you both if he decided to marry you or stay with you, is that the sort of in-laws you desire to put up with for the rest of your life? How long would the shunning last until he broke down? How would they then treat you?

You want children? Your children belong to the husband in Turkish and most Muslim traditions. He will be deciding that they have religious education, become circumcised (sometimes the girls, too), and must obey him. If he does not respect what you believe, or your choices, is he going to respect free will in his children?

My husband swore up and down that he did not believe in the honor system when we got together. By the time I left him, I had lost every freedom I ever had, in the name of honor. I am not saying this would happen to you. But people do change, and the values of childhood haunt a person.

This afterlife thing is a huge red flag to me. You don't need his concern or his pity. You are doing nothing wrong. How dare he judge you, I feel sort of outraged about that.

Welcome! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #10 - November 16, 2014, 03:46 PM

I was thinking long and hard before registering. I was never faced with Islam before, but now I find myself in a relationship with a Muslim (from Turkey).

My beliefs can probably be best described as agnostic, though I understand some atheism too and I study Pagan beliefs and witchcraft/ supernatural/ paranormal etc. I see myself as not religious...I don't really care all that much.
    I live in Germany, where beliefs are rarely discussed. No one cares. There are religious people of course, but they don't bother preaching.

To be honest religion scares me a bit. With every belief I have always found something that just did not add up or that I did not agree with. I really can not grasp how someone could strictly follow the Bible, Quran or whatever.

I did not want to change his belief really, because I feel it is something personal and it would not be nice to interfere. At first I was hoping we could peacefully co-exist. But I quickly noticed he is very religious and fairly traditional :/ and I am about as modern European as they get.

He keeps trying to convince me of his belief and it is getting really hard to deal with it. I can sense that he feels I am the one who is ignorant, narrow minded, wrong and he is genuinely worried about my soul and just wants to help.
    He is such a good and caring person and he is intelligent. It is very sad for both of us that this keeps creating problems. He hopes I will change and I hope he will....

I don't have a problem with him believing in god at all, but he is taking the Quran so "literal"...Maybe I would want to show him some flaws in the Quran to hear his opinion about it. I'd rather not do that, but at this point I don't know what to do.
    I am interested to learn about everyone's experiences here and the reason you gave up Islam. And how your beliefs are now!

Nyd

Sorry to be blunt, but I think its better to end the relationship than suffer greater heartbreak for you both further down the line.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with showing him flaws etc... reason and logic have nothing to do with why a person believes in their religion (even if they don't admit it) so using reason and logic to show them it its nonsense won't work.
     Reply #11 - November 16, 2014, 03:51 PM

Sorry to be blunt, but I think its better to end the relationship than suffer greater heartbreak for you both further down the line.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with showing him flaws etc... reason and logic have nothing to do with why a person believes in their religion (even if they don't admit it) so using reason and logic to show them it its nonsense won't work.

True in a major sense. Unless people are showing signs of wrangling with their beliefs then it is very hard to get through to them. Good luck lady!
     Reply #12 - November 16, 2014, 04:29 PM

Well I think there is a chance he might at least stop battling with me. Some things that were new to him and that I explained he sees differently. So there have been changes, but in order to find out more I will have to wait and see.

That doesn't mean that we will marry and have children, just that I am not going to walk away from a great potential love without thoroughly examining. I will explain the details in a thread.

three, Abu Ali
    I understand your thoughts. My head can think like that too, but my heart not and it also isn't always my head that is right. I would not want to regret walking away either so I need time to think and learn more. Just as he needs time. We haven't known each other for long.

three I know what you mean about judgement and it gets me mad too, but given his belief I understand how he must feel. I try to see his perspective. He makes sure to tell me I'm a great person. He really does point out all good things, but he is worried about my judgement day I guess.

Everything you brought up has been my concern too and I don't see it working unless he lets go of some traditions and religious beliefs. I have a son of three years and I would never want to force him into a belief system.

Reply #13 - November 16, 2014, 11:08 PM

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=26793.0

Your story could be mine. I went  through it all. I had a Muslim bf like you. Maybe my story can help you. My boyfriend was worried about my after life too.

We tried and tried. But i couldnt reach him. We broke up and i wrote him a final lettre. You will find it also in the topic.
    I can tell you its not gonna work when you respect his religion while he can't find understanding for your way of living. The fear of Allah stands above everything.

Shirly

For god and money devils fight
    Religion holds a beast inside

Racoon
     Reply #14 - November 16, 2014, 11:21 PM

^ Hope you're doing okay now.
     Reply #15 - November 16, 2014, 11:49 PM

Yes Lua im doing ok. Its quiet in my life. No treats anymore. I have rest. In start i was still so busy with it. Thoughts like "what if its true". But i left it all behind. Talking and reading here helped me also a lot. It helped me re-programm myself.

Now its hardly in my mind anymore.

Thank you for asking!

Sleep well!

For god and money devils fight
    Religion holds a beast inside

Racoon
     Reply #16 - November 17, 2014, 12:18 AM

Well I think there is a chance he might at least stop battling with me. Some things that were new to him and that I explained he sees differently. So there have been changes, but in order to find out more I will have to wait and see.

That doesn't mean that we will marry and have children, just that I am not going to walk away from a great potential love without thoroughly examining. I will explain the details in a thread.

three, Abu Ali
    I understand your thoughts. My head can think like that too, but my heart not and it also isn't always my head that is right. I would not want to regret walking away either so I need time to think and learn more. Just as he needs time. We haven't known each other for long.

three I know what you mean about judgement and it gets me mad too, but given his belief I understand how he must feel. I try to see his perspective. He makes sure to tell me I'm a great person. He really does point out all good things, but he is worried about my judgement day I guess.

Everything you brought up has been my concern too and I don't see it working unless he lets go of some traditions and religious beliefs. I have a son of three years and I would never want to force him into a belief system.

Ah, then if you have a son I am sure you are going to be cautious. My heart got me into too many problems, my head never took over until I had children. I think most mothers are like that.

Reply #17 - November 17, 2014, 02:55 AM

Ein herzliches Wilkommen in CEMB )

I am a non-Muslim too and I went through something similar with a Muslim lover. We got married though, and now I am getting divorced from her. I cannot tell you the heartache this has caused me. Please be sure to think about Abu Ali's advice, he is a very wise man.

Uebrigens spreche ich Deutsch, wenn Sie durch PM mit mir reden wollten. Nochmal Willkommen in CEMB und ich hoffe Ihnen alle die Beste Smiley

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #18 - November 17, 2014, 10:29 AM

Welcome Nyd, your story is a familiar one. I married a moderate muslim who went through the motions.

Gradually over time he became more religious and this gave him responsibilty of safeguarding my soul. It sounds romantic. In reality it was like listening to a stuck record telling me over and over what a bad person I was.

I would like to think your situation will end well, but what I would really like to say is, he will never respect your views and it is best to end this before you begin to depend on him. You deserve to be loved as you are.  Smiley

Reply #19 - November 17, 2014, 11:01 AM

Having grown up in a muslim household sometimes reading these threads I wonder why on earth non muslim women would even consider being in a relationship with someone who is trying to convert them or someone who seems religious especially muslim men (I think most educated ppl have tried to read the quran) and especially if the women are not particularly religious themselves. 

Am I the only ex muslim woman raised in this culture wondering what the appeal is?   Are they presenting themselves as non religious when they first meet these women and switching up later?  I understand the need to find love but is it worth losing yourself?

If a mormon guy asked you to wear magical mormon underpants bc he feared for your soul would you still feel so torn?

If a catholic guy seemed shaken bc you didnt believe in the virgin mary, I am sure you would think him unstable and move on.

Why are western women struck deaf and dumb when the man is muslim? Crazy is crazy run dont walk.

Just bc someone isnt white but brown or their religion is different doesnt mean they cant be crazy.

Treat them like you would treat a white guy telling you that he thinks your going to hell if you dont believe in his god.

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
     Reply #20 - November 17, 2014, 11:21 AM

Amen, xiis.
     Reply #21 - November 17, 2014, 12:51 PM

Having grown up in a muslim household sometimes reading these threads I wonder why on earth non muslim women would even consider being in a relationship with someone who is trying to convert them or someone who seems religious especially muslim men (I think most educated ppl have tried to read the quran) and especially if the women are not particularly religious themselves. 

Am I the only ex muslim woman raised in this culture wondering what the appeal is?   Are they presenting themselves as non religious when they first meet these women and switching up later?  I understand the need to find love but is it worth losing yourself?

If a mormon guy asked you to wear magical mormon underpants bc he feared for your soul would you still feel so torn?

If a catholic guy seemed shaken bc you didnt believe in the virgin mary, I am sure you would think him unstable and move on.

Why are western women struck deaf and dumb when the man is muslim? Crazy is crazy run dont walk.

Just bc someone isnt white but brown or their religion is different doesnt mean they cant be crazy.

Treat them like you would treat a white guy telling you that he thinks your going to hell if you dont believe in his god.

Well, considering that I (as a western European woman) feel exactly the same way as you do, I wouldn't generalise Wink.
     Reply #22 - November 17, 2014, 02:46 PM

Hi Nyd,

Welcome parrot for you parrot

Good advises here. Despite them being disheartening, I must say. But the examples with devastating outcomes in this forum and outside are far too numerous to ignore.
    far away hug
    Glad to have you here Smiley I'm a Never-Moose too, living in your northern neighbour country.

"Nyd" means "enjoy" around here these days, so it has somewhat changed meaning Huh?

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #23 - November 17, 2014, 03:17 PM

My bad, I am rude. Welcome to the forum, Nyd  parrot
     Reply #24 - November 17, 2014, 04:05 PM

Hello everyone and thanks for your input!

Nikolaj
    Hello to Denmark then! I know a few things like "jeg er sulten" or "du ligner en gammel hex" (spelling?) haha..
    Nyd is from the Anglo Saxon Rune Poem and can also mean "need". This passage has been very true to me.

Xiis
    You know, in a way I used to think that too. But with my experience now I can say it isn't always that easy. I will try to answer your questions:

I wonder why on earth non muslim women would even consider being in a relationship with someone who is trying to convert them or someone who seems religious especially muslim men (I think most educated ppl have tried to read the quran) and especially if the women are not particularly religious themselves.

I'm sure you know you can't chose who you love, and that you can't just find love at every corner.
    I know couples where it worked out. I think it is wiser to give it a chance to see if it works than to simply walk away because of prejudice. Better look twice before regretting. That does not mean submitting. It just means you are taking a closer look.

But why would you lose yourself? I have made it clear I won't change. The only question is whether he will accept that. And I don't exactly go out there searching for love haha...if it happens it happens. There is more to it than just a brain that says "I want to love" and looks. Many fish in the sea, but that doesn't mean they are for me.
    I have faced much more difficult things than religion in the way of a relationship tbh...so *shrugs*. It either works or it doesn't.

No, to me religious people are alike. And if I was in love I would give anyone a chance.

I have a feeling you are assuming things and generalizing. I'm not "western women" or "struck deaf and dumb". I entered a complicated relationship and am willing to give it time that's all. Not all women who get with Muslim men lay down at his feet and sacrifice themselves. And not all men expect that.

I am treating him like I would treat anyone else. When he said change this, I said no you change. If I would not think there is a bit of hope, I would not keep trying. But so far all the debates have actually led to changes for the good and better understanding.
    I noticed a lot of problems have to do with cultural differences and "not knowing", by exchanging knowledge he was able to see things from a different angle.
    Same for me...I was much more prejudiced when I entered but I noticed there are many different types of Muslims...not just the extreme ones that won't listen to anything. I still don't know if it will work, but it has only been about a month. I am only evaluating right now.

I appreciate your concerns, but imho you misunderstand the situation. I hope this shed some light on it.
    Maybe check out my thread for a better picture of the situation Smiley. This was just a brief introduction: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27721.msg794466#msg794466

three
    That is exactly the way I am thinking. I am a mother first and a lover second. I will chose to only be a mother if my idea of love is not accepted. In my experience, if you are not compatible, it does cause lovers to distance themselves too and often relations will naturally end.

countjulian
    Hallo! Ich habe auch keine Umlaute auf der Tastatur Wink Sorry to hear about your heartache. I know these must be extremely difficult situations, which is why I chose to seek advice here, so I don't walk into it uninformed.

doubts
    I read your story, it was heartbreaking and I am sorry you had to experience this and that it just would not workout. I believe there is a lesson to everything and painful experiences can make us stronger.
    It is tragic that something like Religion can stand above love.

The fear of god is something I can see, but I feel my man may have a few doubts deep inside. He admitted to a few things that make me believe that. He also used to be not really religious, so I want to see if what this is about.

I am telling myself that if it does not work out, it is not meant to be. I would not want someone to love god more than me. I am highly idealistic when it comes to love and expect feelings as strong as they can get. If anyone does not match these qualities, maybe they aren't for me.
    I am 32 and haven't found real love yet that is meant to last. My expectations are too high.

Reply #25 - November 17, 2014, 04:45 PM

I really hope it works out for you Nyd. I am facing a similar situation to yours, and things are not really working out for me. But that has no real bearing on your situation. I don't have the skill nor the heart to change my wife, and she does not have the open-mindedness and understanding needed to accept me for who I am.

I think I come from a similar mindset to yours. You can't always choose who you fall in love with. Plus, I have always been idealistic and egotistical enough to honestly believe that love, understanding and tolerance can overcome anything, even Islam. As for children, I feel that they sometimes can complicate things more, as opposed to putting your choices into stark contrasting black and white. My child certainly has for me.

You seem to have your head screwed on better than I have ever had mine. If you are going to try to make things work, I hope you bring him towards you, and don't try to take steps towards him instead. I have mostly been trying to do the latter, and I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone else. And if you ever choose to walk away, all of us here will fully understand that. Either way, I wish you good luck. I pray that Allah refrains from guiding and influencing your path too much.

Hi
     Reply #26 - November 17, 2014, 06:39 PM

musivore

I think you understand where I'm coming from. I once used to be more willing to mold myself. I was married to an American and at first glance we had no differences at all, and he did not try to change me or influence me...but after two years the relationship took a drastic turn for the worse and he became the opposite. It was not even about culture or anything...he was just bothered by everything I did.

Many relationships for me showed their true nature long after the first year. In a way you can never be sure.

It actually makes me worry less that my guy has his heart and intentions on his sleeve right now. I can see what I'm up against. He could have kept it to himself to lure me in.

I wish you all the best for your relationship too!

Reply #27 - November 17, 2014, 06:45 PM

Welcome!

Do Muslim males have a get out of jail free card that allows them to marry non muslim women, but they are immediately inferior to him?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #28 - November 18, 2014, 12:41 AM

Cheesy
    moi
    Feel free to read my thread:
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27721.msg794466#msg794466
    I don't think he sees me as inferior at all actually, but he thinks Islam gives women equal rights ..so he might be misinformed. Other than that what he said about women and relationships sounded the opposite of a woman being inferior. Otherwise I would not be investing my time.

See if from his Muslim perspective, he thinks he is doing good by converting me and even saving my soul. And he never said he is forcing me, he just mentions Islam a lot and I don't want to hear it.

I think many cases are much more subtle than the classic cliche where the guy dictates and the woman submits...Smiley

Reply #29 - November 18, 2014, 01:19 AM

My last husband did that. Said he did not believe this and that and when it came down to it, it was all he believed. It was deliberate deceit.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »