Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi everyone

(Read 4914 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi everyone
     OP - November 14, 2014, 10:00 PM

Warm greetings to you all!

I'm a 29 yr old English woman married to a muslim man.  We have been married for 7 years now but been together for 13 years, have 3 sons together.

Now when we first got together I wa 15 he was 21 and not religious at all in fact he told me he doesn't even believe in a god! (Even though he always fasted which I found odd) he said he was just pretending to be muslim in front of his family, which is fine, whatever!  But over the past couple of years his become really interested in his religion to the point his asked me to cover my hair and wear a long dress (which I now do) he is now praying 5 times a day and tbh I just feel like I'm with a completely different guy.

Also wnat to add 2 years ago in the summer holidays he said his mum wanted to take my sons for the week, I was very happy because she doesn't usually have them, so I accepted... During the week my husband tells me ALL my children had a circumcision oh and they were fine and getting money/presents!!! I was so hurt he knew how I felt and I didn't even know he could do this without my consent? I kicked him out for weeks but I let him back he wouldn't leave me alone for a start and my sons missed him. Well I still haven't got over this.

I just feel so depressed and we argue but he would never let me leave, I don't even know if I want to leave :(

Am I the only one going through this? There is much more but I think I've rambled on enough!!

Thanks for reading x

• Hi everyone
     Reply #1 - November 14, 2014, 10:14 PM

Welcome, shadowboots! I'm not at all the person who should be talking to you about potential looming divorce, but let it suffice to say that in some way or another a ton of people here can relate to you. And I can completely understand why you'd feel hurt and betrayed and perhaps a little lonely right now.

Did you ever consider converting for him? Has he been okay with you not practicing?

Anyway, everyone here is really nice. Just jump in to the conversations around the forum. Hope to hear more from you.  parrot
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #2 - November 14, 2014, 10:15 PM

Welcome  - and no, you are not the only one going through this. Sadly your story is a familiar one.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #3 - November 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

Hello ShadowBoots, welcome to the forum (love your name btw)  Smiley

Lots of people here will be able to understand where you're coming from. You're amongst friends here.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Hi everyone
     Reply #4 - November 14, 2014, 10:42 PM

Warm greetings to you all!

I'm a 29 yr old English woman married to a muslim man.  We have been married for 7 years now but been together for 13 years, have 3 sons together.

Now when we first got together I wa 15 he was 21 and not religious at all in fact he told me he doesn't even believe in a god! (Even though he always fasted which I found odd) he said he was just pretending to be muslim in front of his family, which is fine, whatever!  But over the past couple of years his become really interested in his religion to the point his asked me to cover my hair and wear a long dress (which I now do) he is now praying 5 times a day and tbh I just feel like I'm with a completely different guy.

Also wnat to add 2 years ago in the summer holidays he said his mum wanted to take my sons for the week, I was very happy because she doesn't usually have them, so I accepted... During the week my husband tells me ALL my children had a circumcision oh and they were fine and getting money/presents!!! I was so hurt he knew how I felt and I didn't even know he could do this without my consent? I kicked him out for weeks but I let him back he wouldn't leave me alone for a start and my sons missed him. Well I still haven't got over this.

I just feel so depressed and we argue but he would never let me leave, I don't even know if I want to leave :(

Am I the only one going through this? There is much more but I think I've rambled on enough!!

Thanks for reading x

Hi ShadowBoots. Welcome to the forum  far away hug parrot.

Interesting and heartbreaking story. I am just collecting my thoughts together about it so I can help you in some way. My bf is an exxie from PK but feels European in his head.

Also many hugs  far away hug for the pain caused to you and your sons with regard to circumcision. Shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary medically especially without your permission.

Where abouts do you live world-wise?
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #5 - November 14, 2014, 11:10 PM

Unicorns are never good at providing relationship advice. But I would say that you demand a heart to heart. He lied to you and lies rots your heart. They eat you whole. But have patiance and don't be rash. The Dark Side has not possessed him yet. Use tact and cunning when speaking and approach at an aggreeable time so that your words may melt into his heart.

Run free and be free and free your children.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #6 - November 14, 2014, 11:12 PM

Welcome  parrot

Also wnat to add 2 years ago in the summer holidays he said his mum wanted to take my sons for the week, I was very happy because she doesn't usually have them, so I accepted... During the week my husband tells me ALL my children had a circumcision oh and they were fine and getting money/presents!!!

What.....That is so disturbing on so many levels.

As other members have already stated, A (non-religious) Muslim man living in the west marrying a non-Muslim(who might have converted), then getting significantly more religious over the years seems to be an incredibly recurring situation, mothers also often seem to be involved in a way or another. Has he been telling the children they have to pray and fast and such? Is he maybe showing any signs of slowing down in his revelation journey? If Yes->No then maybe you should start weighing your options. I hope other members will be able to give you more concrete support and advice than myself.

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #7 - November 14, 2014, 11:20 PM

Hi guys and thank you so much for the welcome!! It's very fast on here wow I didn't expect any replays for hours! Ok bare with me I'm slow so I will reply to you one by one Cheesy
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #8 - November 14, 2014, 11:23 PM

Hi ShadowBoots,

Happy to have you here.

The man you married is not the man he is today. This is *SO* wrong on his part!!!

Everything in me screams: GET THE FUCK OUT!!! TAKE YOUR KIDS WITH YOU!!!!

You are 29. He asks you to cover yourself up. Will you live like that for the next 50-60 years? Because of his and his family's beliefs?

What he - or his mother - did to your sons is INEXCUSABLE!!! It was done without a consent from you - their mother, who had carried them to term and beyond. And they took them and did something physically irreversible to them that you did not agree to!!!

Yiou need to plan. Plan for you escape. Or you will be trapped there for the rest of your life!

Sorry to put it so bluntly but I am a Never-Moose who in general is resilient towards Muslims and their beliefs but this is WAY beyond anything justifiable!

Welcomel, ShadowBoots - sorry I got so triggered - but it just seems so wrong to me - apologies if it has made you sad. Hopefully this welcome parrot will cheer you up a bit Smiley parrot

And a hug!
     far away hug

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #9 - November 14, 2014, 11:28 PM

Welcome, shadowboots! I'm not at all the person who should be talking to you about potential looming divorce, but let it suffice to say that in some way or another a ton of people here can relate to you. And I can completely understand why you'd feel hurt and betrayed and perhaps a little lonely right now.

Did you ever consider converting for him? Has he been okay with you not practicing?

Anyway, everyone here is really nice. Just jump in to the conversations around the forum. Hope to hear more from you.  parrot

Hi Iua I never considered converting before because he wasn't religious it just never entered my mind really, but now it seems it's all he is interested in.  He 'seems' okay with me not practicing but he prays for me :/

Thanks for the parrot  parrot One for you too Smiley
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #10 - November 14, 2014, 11:36 PM

Thank you for the welcome Abu and billy..  Smiley

• Hi everyone
     Reply #11 - November 14, 2014, 11:37 PM

Hi SB & welcome, Smiley
    I'm sorry to hear what happened, it really sucks. Sadly the depths that so many will sink to knows no bounds. This is so underhanded by your husband and his family to shamelessly do this to your kids. Cry
    Should insuring kids make it into fictitious 'zombie happy land' ever really justify such shameful behaviour?
    Apologies for such a downer of a first greeting.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #12 - November 14, 2014, 11:47 PM

Hi ShadowBoots. Welcome to the forum  far away hug parrot.

Interesting and heartbreaking story. I am just collecting my thoughts together about it so I can help you in some way. My bf is an exxie from PK but feels European in his head.

Also many hugs  far away hug for the pain caused to you and your sons with regard to circumcision. Shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary medically especially without your permission.

Where abouts do you live world-wise?

Thanks Lily I'm from the Uk live in London my husband is Bengali but was born in the UK

I thought they would need mothers permission for a circumcision also. I was very shocked and demanded the practices number, which he wouldn't give! My kids look very Asian so I'm wondering if they thought mother must be Asian and in agreement! Either that or his sisters acted as mum :/ well he said he didn't need my permission hmmm... It was the ring one, his mother also made them these skirts because they couldn't wear trousers.. it hurt me so much to realise the whole thing was planned :(
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #13 - November 14, 2014, 11:57 PM

Welcome  parrot

What.....That is so disturbing on so many levels.

As other members have already stated, A (non-religious) Muslim man living in the west marrying a non-Muslim(who might have converted), then getting significantly more religious over the years seems to be an incredibly recurring situation, mothers also often seem to be involved in a way or another. Has he been telling the children they have to pray and fast and such? Is he maybe showing any signs of slowing down in his revelation journey? If Yes->No then maybe you should start weighing your options. I hope other members will be able to give you more concrete support and advice than myself.

Hi  parrot

Yes he has been teaching my children how to pray and trying hard to push my eldest son (12) to pray with him, thou my son doesn't seem bothered!

He also wants them to take Arabic lessons.  Which I don't mind really I think the language is beautiful

As for his revelation... Well let's just say he listens to this guy every night on youtube preaching and it keeps me awake, if I complain I have the devil in me wth!!
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #14 - November 15, 2014, 12:02 AM

Should insuring kids make it into fictitious 'zombie happy land' ever really justify such shameful behaviour?
    Apologies for such a downer of a first greeting.

That's a rhetorical question by the way, the answer's NO.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #15 - November 15, 2014, 12:02 AM

A big fat NO.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #16 - November 15, 2014, 12:11 AM

Yeah, that's honestly a huge betrayal. I don't know that I'd be able to continue in your position. Not only did your husband so completely disrespect you, but his whole family was in on it.

I've also known a lot of people who found their husbands (or, in some cases that I've heard of on the forum, wives) to be very liberal when they were young college students or something, but who got more and more strict with the religion as they aged and the terms of their relationship suddenly changed completely. The tricky thing with remaining in such a relationship is that you really have no idea when it's going to plateau, or if the situation is going to get worse and worse as time goes on.

I guess you're going to have to figure out if you really do want to leave him or not. And I hate to bring this up: I am glad that you sound confident that he will stay with you, so you must still trust him to some degree, but I would suggest that you at least have it in the back of your mind that some marriages with people with foreign family ties or with some strict Muslims that end poorly culminate in the kids being taken away from the other.

I've known, unfortunately, more than one woman that this has happened to, and his family being complicit in totally disregarding your maternal rights makes it sound like it might not be crazy that someone might suggest it or help him if he were so inclined to do it. There are even some fatwas you can find that insist to the believing man or woman that it is their Islamic duty to take the kids away from a disbelieving spouse and run with them at all costs.

In any case, definitely find out what you want to do. You're so young! There is a lot of living left to do, so sit down and figure out what you envision for yourself, and make a plan to move forward.  far away hug
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #17 - November 15, 2014, 12:13 AM

Hi ShadowBoots,

Happy to have you here.

The man you married is not the man he is today. This is *SO* wrong on his part!!!

Everything in me screams: GET THE FUCK OUT!!! TAKE YOUR KIDS WITH YOU!!!!

You are 29. He asks you to cover yourself up. Will you live like that for the next 50-60 years? Because of his and his family's beliefs?

What he - or his mother - did to your sons is INEXCUSABLE!!! It was done without a consent from you - their mother, who had carried them to term and beyond. And they took them and did something physically irreversible to them that you did not agree to!!!

Yiou need to plan. Plan for you escape. Or you will be trapped there for the rest of your life!

Sorry to put it so bluntly but I am a Never-Moose who in general is resilient towards Muslims and their beliefs but this is WAY beyond anything justifiable!

Welcomel, ShadowBoots - sorry I got so triggered - but it just seems so wrong to me - apologies if it has made you sad. Hopefully this welcome parrot will cheer you up a bit Smiley parrot

And a hug!
     far away hug

Thank you so much Nikolaj  far away hug

He is such an intelligent man I don't understand how he can believe some of the stuff I hear!  I just hope one day he goes back to being the man I loved so much  :(  my own mum thinks his different (in a good way!) hmmm if only she knows the real reason why I cover myself now...

If he doesn't change soon then I think I will have no choice to go, but tbh sometimes he scares me :/
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #18 - November 15, 2014, 12:18 AM

Hehe thank you Tomas it's ok I'm feeling pretty down today anyway...  I do have my good days honest Smiley

It's just I had another argument because my husband wouldn't let me go to a friends house (he doesn't like her) and I decided I'm just going to write out my problems today, because I hide this from everyone I know, it has to come out...

I could just scream finmad
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #19 - November 15, 2014, 12:19 AM

Hi  parrot

Yes he has been teaching my children how to pray and trying hard to push my eldest son (12) to pray with him, thou my son doesn't seem bothered!

He also wants them to take Arabic lessons.  Which I don't mind really I think the language is beautiful

As for his revelation... Well let's just say he listens to this guy every night on youtube preaching and it keeps me awake, if I complain I have the devil in me wth!!

Ah, youtube preachers. The most ignorant hypocritical illiterate  annoying cunts ever to hold youtube accounts. If it keeps going like that he might start to insist significantly harder that the eldest son prays(followed by his younger siblings).Also, I do think that old/classic Arabic, although pretty, is incredibly hard to learn properly and useless for most things outside understanding the Qur'an/hadiths/Islamic philosophers(think Latin/Greek).
    Thanks Lily I'm from the Uk live in London my husband is Bengali but was born in the UK

I thought they would need mothers permission for a circumcision also. I was very shocked and demanded the practices number, which he wouldn't give! My kids look very Asian so I'm wondering if they thought mother must be Asian and in agreement! Either that or his sisters acted as mum :/ well he said he didn't need my permission hmmm... It was the ring one, his mother also made them these skirts because they couldn't wear trousers.. it hurt me so much to realise the whole thing was planned :(

Surely what he did serves as solid grounds for filing a divorce and keeping him the fuck away from the children?  I think Nikolaj's advice is more or less on-point, pending your own judgement of course. If push comes to shove, you can even file a restraining order perhaps?

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #20 - November 15, 2014, 12:30 AM

I agree Jedi lies do rot the heart, I think actually you have hit the nail on the head he lied to me maybe not intentionally but this is not the relationship I ever imagined for myself, I fell in love with him not this religious man he has become, it honestly is so hard to come to terms with...  I cannot imagine myself like this... Forever!

Thanks for the unicorn advice hehe
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #21 - November 15, 2014, 03:58 AM

Here's the thing: He changed. He must accept responsibility for whatever happens because of his change; whatever happens, it's not because of you. It's because of him. It sounds to me like you might be in a psychologically abusive relationship, where he is manipulating you, and displaying a different face to your family and friends than he is to you--also a trait of psychopathology (I have a degree in mental health, and also a great deal of personal experience). Abusive relationships get worse, not better, over time (trust me, I know). There's a very well-known model called "the cycle of abuse" you can look up on wikipedia. Knowing what abuse actually is--it doesn't start with physical violence, so you often don't even know your relationship is abusive--really does open your eyes to what's going on.

The four stages in the cycle of abuse are: Tension building, Incident, Reconciliation/honeymoon, and Calm. Remember, it's a cycle. So things may be calm now, but then tension will build about something, and there will be an incident. Here are some of the things to look for in stage 3:

The perpetrator may begin to feel remorse, guilty feelings, or fear that their partner will leave or call the police. The victim feels pain, fear, humiliation, disrespect, confusion, and may wrongly feel responsible. [Any of that sound familiar?]

Characterized by affection, apology, or, alternatively, ignoring the incident. This phase marks an apparent end of violence, with assurances that it will never happen again, or that the abuser will do his or her best to change. During this stage the abuser feels overwhelming feelings of remorse and sadness, or at least pretends to. Some abusers walk away from the situation with little comment, but most will eventually shower the survivor with love and affection.

Another red flag is how young you were when you got into this relationship. It's often easier for abusers to prey on younger minds, and as they get older, and the abuse gets more intense, the abuser knows that because of how long they've been together, the abused party will find it hard to leave. They may also threaten the partner with a loss of financial stability. I don't know if you have a higher education or a good job, but even if you do, you might be afraid of living without his income. The UK is great when it comes to resources for helping people in abusive relationships, so that's the good news. The bad news is, it's never easy to end a relationship, even a bad one.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #22 - November 15, 2014, 08:52 AM

Some excellent advice and insight there for anyone here in an abusive relationship - thanks, galfromusa  Afro
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #23 - November 15, 2014, 12:47 PM

Also thank you Shadowboots, your introduction has just opened my eyes to the same thing potentially happening my kid.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #24 - November 15, 2014, 03:36 PM

That is really good advice Galfromusa, thank you.
    He does make me feel bad sometimes, but I don't think he is abusive, other than the circ he is a really good father. 
    I started covering because he always went on and on about me wanting attention, i don't want/need attention so I guess this wasn't a problem for me to cover anyway, but it has stopped me going out with my mates because, well I would look odd lol - that I do miss.
    I have been with him almost half my life 14 years in June! I am scared to leave partly because I don't know if I can cope on my own and partly because I think he would never let me live in peace.  And he is a great dad, my kids would be devastated.

Doubting Tomas - I really hope that doesn't happen to you or anyone else, it was such a huge betrayal, the worse part was he acted as though I agreed to get them circumcised anyway! - No we agreed when they were old enough (over 18) to decide for them selfs! I still cannot understand how he thought what he did was an ok thing to do.
    He said the kids were fine with it, I'm the one with the problem... They were only fine because they were promised an Xbox and for my youngest a new bike!  Madness!
    I don't know how many days I stuffed my face in a pillow and cried!!

Anyway I don't know if I am ready to move on, maybe when the kids are older I will feel safe enough to leave, but for now I will have to carry on mainly for the kids.

Thanks you all again for the welcome and advice
     far away hug
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #25 - November 15, 2014, 06:44 PM

Again, there are a lot of red flags of abuse in what you're describing. Abusive relationships don't start off with the horrific violence you think of when you think of people leaving abusive relationships. If they started that way, no one would enter them. The abuse starts small, and builds up over time, until it gets to a breaking point. It can build very slowly, and the honeymoon and calm periods can be very long, and during that time the abuser is a perfectly fine person.

Here are the red flags I see in your post:

• Controlling your behavior: coercing you to dress/act a certain way
    • Isolation: cutting off contact with your friends (even if you think you're the one doing it). This makes it harder to leave, because after a while you have no one left to go to.
    • "I am scared to leave partly because I don't know if I can cope on my own and partly because I think he would never let me live in peace." Don't know if you can cope on your own harks back to my last post, with the emotional and financial control, and not leaving you alone is emotionally controlling you. You can make him leave you alone, it's as simple as getting a restraining order. If he violates that, he goes to jail. You're not powerless. He's making you feel powerless, and that's part of how he's controlling your life.
    • "the worse part was he acted as though I agreed to get them circumcised anyway!...He said the kids were fine with it, I'm the one with the problem"--This is minimizing the abuse/shifting the blame. The purpose of this is to make you feel that it "wasn't that bad" and that you're partly responsible for it. Similar to "I wouldn't hit you if you wouldn't nag me all the time!"
    • "They were only fine because they were promised an Xbox and for my youngest a new bike!"--This is the honeymoon period of abuse: doting, giving gifts, pampering, lavishly displaying love. It's using a bribe to make a person stay in the relationship.
    • "maybe when the kids are older I will feel safe enough to leave"--You need to listen to yourself, you know what's going on. You do not feel safe. I promise, abusive relationships do not get better. They always get worse. Don't wait until he's using physical/sexual violence to control you. You deserve better. You can't allow yourself to minimize what's going on, even though that seems like the easiest way to deal with it, because if you do you'll stay, and you *and your children* will get hurt. There are a ton of resources to help you; if you want to message me where you live, I can get referrals to local ones for you; that's what my degree is for, after all. Smiley

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #26 - November 15, 2014, 07:11 PM

I do just want to add, OP, that not only were you extremely young when you married him, but he was, too.

I know you're hoping to recover the man he was when you met, but, unfortunately, people change. The 21-year-old version of your husband very well may not exist anymore, and it sounds like he doesn't. If I could, I would completely divorce myself from who I was at the age that you met him, or even who I was when I was 21, or even last year--not only are they not who I am anymore, but there's no going back. I can barely see anything in common with my old selves. I've changed, and those people are effectively dead. Anyone who wants the old me back from those old ages is out of luck. And, in my case, it's a great thing, because 15-year-old me had a lot to learn.

I've made the mistake of pinning a lot of dissatisfaction in a marriage on his religious beliefs, and used to think that, if only he would snap out of it, things would be a lot better. That didn't wind up being the case, and I don't think it's the case from what you've been saying, either. Your husband has grown and changed as a person, albeit not for the better. This does happen.

Sometimes, we have to realize that people are very fluid and very dynamic, and the person who was once so close to you that you practically shared the same mind can, the very next day, be someone you couldn't even recognize. This is life, for better or for worse. And very often, it's for the better, but it does add a complicated level to marriage, where you can expect that both partners will grow and change over time.

But if it turns out that that change is for the worse, that it becomes abusive, that you find yourself suddenly sleeping next to a stranger that you resent or distrust or are fearful of, it's time to accept that sometimes there's no going back, that the thing that you loved is in the past, that he's gone, and that it's time for you to go.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #27 - November 15, 2014, 07:58 PM

Dear ShadowBoots, I am sorry to learn of your situation. The change in your husband is not unusual, in fact it is fairly common.

Somehow the intensive brainwashing they undergo as boys, re-surfaces as they get older and have kids. And so the cycle goes on. I wish I could offer you some assurances that you will get your husband back, but I know first hand that the man you knew is all but gone.

I have experienced something very similar and found that I couldn't take it. My freedom means too much to me. I guess it depends on what your tolerance level is and how much you still love him. You have my very best wishes in anything you decide. Xx
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #28 - November 15, 2014, 10:47 PM

galfromusa is on the right track. But the abuse cycle is not the same for everyone. Plenty of Muslim men skip the honeymoon phase entirely, because they have a religious right to beat, berate, harass, and control you. How can you have remorse for what God permits? I believe is the sentiment. Did you not say you were harassed into covering? This man does not believe in being inspired from the heart to obey God, he believes in force.

Having your children mutilated is a serious abuse issue. There are no boundaries, you see? This is a red flag. When you are left without boundaries, you are left without rights. You are not being treated as a person. Which I am sorry for.

No one can tell you if you should leave. But what I can tell you is that the safest way to leave is with no advance notice to him or his family. Take the children and disappear into a safe house. Document everything that demonstrates abuse towards you and the children and keep it in the safest place you can. I kept my log written in Phoenician letters. You might need it if it comes down to custody. Because women initiating divorce are in the most dangerous spot, ever, in a relationship without boundaries. Until you reach such a decision : Take good care of the children, make sure you are doing okay, not depressed. Get help from women's societies if you need it.

Thank you for joining us, and welcome. I am very happy to see you.  parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Hi everyone
     Reply #29 - November 19, 2014, 11:26 AM

Hi ShadowBoots (great name)

GalFromUSA is giving you some very good advice. I have a close family member who went through an abusive relationship, this is just how it started. He started controlling what she wore, making her feel incapable of looking after herself, making her feel like nobody else would want her.

Of course he was always very sorry for what he had done, this nice side of him had to be extremely nice in order to make up for whatever it was that he had done wrong, but once he felt that debt was paid off he would expect her to "be more reasonable" and accommodate his wishes. She would make small changes to please him, but whenever he asked too much it would result in him losing his patience/temper and making her feel bad.  She'd either change to please him or change to avoid the hassle.

This ended up with a lot of physical abuse before she left him. She spent so much time with him, probably because she saw the two sides of his personality as some kind of internal struggle that she hoped the honeymoon guy would win, she only left once she realised the honeymoon guy was the asshole side of him pretending to be selfless so that he could selfishly keep want he wanted, her.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »