Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: If you could've chosen which religion you were born into what would that be ?

(Read 7542 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • If you could've chosen which religion you were born into what would that be ?
     Reply #60 - November 21, 2014, 09:42 PM

True, but it could be nice to have a place to go to to reflect and meet with thinking people.

Yes, my comment was a little churlish and dismissive. From what I hear Quakers and UU churches are good ways to meet up and have fun, and have some discussions that all can take part in

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #61 - November 21, 2014, 09:46 PM

Bloke got arrested for that in Sydney a few years back. Ended up with a criminal record. No shit. Be careful.

"No Shit" .......Not surprised he couldn't shit with a rabbit lodged up there.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #62 - November 21, 2014, 09:50 PM

It was the other way around. He tried to lodge himself in the rabbit.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #63 - November 21, 2014, 10:35 PM

How did a perfectly nice, sensible and interesting topic like this get dragged down to rabbits up arses?

Reply #64 - November 22, 2014, 12:18 AM

Because you're evil toward bunnies Cry

Bad news is:
    You cannot make people like, love, understand, validate,
    accept, or be nice to you. You can't control them either.
    Good news is:
    It doesn't matter.
     Reply #65 - November 22, 2014, 03:51 AM

I blame Adey5. yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #66 - November 22, 2014, 12:11 PM

OK I accept responsibility........ I have broad shoulders. whistling2

Bunnies - May Peace be Upon Them

Reply #67 - December 08, 2014, 10:21 AM

I'm happy I am an atheist, but if I had to choose, perhaps Buddhist although the Anglican faith is pretty benign and harmless. I also find the idea of the Greek and Roman gods attractive in that you have an expert in each field.. surely a good idea to get the right people for the right job?
    On the other side,  Catholic or Muslim seem to me to far most punishment/reward based so not either of them and Mormonism would just have people taking the piss all the time.  Smiley

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself much more happiness truth beauty and wisdom will come to you that way" -Christopher Hitchens
     Reply #68 - December 11, 2014, 11:56 PM

Norse
     Reply #69 - December 12, 2014, 03:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_BtZ-5O60

The Church of Jibbers Crabst. Blows your minds right out your butts!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #70 - December 12, 2014, 02:51 PM

My Mrs and I both got lucky, she Shinto-Buddhist, I open-minded Church of England.

My parents didn't baptise me, thinking it would mean more when I made up my own mind. I did make up my own mind...  and am still unbaptised.
     Reply #71 - December 12, 2014, 03:20 PM

I don't know much about Shintoism besides very basic knowledge (and the fact that it could, and indeed was, used for extremism, ie WWII), but a lot of their traditions and beliefs seem very interesting and beautiful. But maybe that's just because I haven't experienced it first hand.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #72 - December 12, 2014, 03:36 PM

I am grateful I was never born into a faith.
     Reply #73 - December 12, 2014, 03:47 PM

I don't know much about Shintoism besides very basic knowledge (and the fact that it could, and indeed was, used for extremism, ie WWII)

Most Japanese people don't know much about Shintoism.  That's perhaps the beauty of it.

From complete ignorance it strikes me as being about nature and continuity. This of course could be harnessed by nutters, but nutters will harness anything that suits them.

I like Shinto because when I look out over the roofs of my dismal Osaka suburb, the only fully-grown trees I see are those in the local shrine. Only the Shinto let trees grow.  (And me of course, but my trees only went in two years ago.)
     Reply #74 - December 12, 2014, 08:39 PM

Secular household.

Not in the "OMG, Atheist and preach it!" type but the "Ehh who cares about religion?" type.

My step-children were brought up in exactly this environment. Not entirely my doing but I think they've been pretty lucky. I do worry about their materialism and lack of understanding of the world but hey-ho.
     Reply #75 - December 12, 2014, 10:45 PM

I would choose a household without religion.

When I have kids, I will raise them in a way that they can choose whatever religion they want.

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
     Reply #76 - December 13, 2014, 04:02 PM

Buddhism since it aligns with some of the concepts I am currently evaluating. If one removes the more supernatural aspects while focusing on development of self it is similar to my current axioms for my way of living.
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »