Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CaptainDisguise is brilliant!

(Read 5804 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • CaptainDisguise is brilliant!
     OP - November 07, 2014, 10:26 AM

This morning I noticed an email notification that CaptainDisguise had blogged something about a logical error in the Quran. I like logic, so I read it.

It is fantastic! I think it is the best argument I have seen against the divine authorship of the Quran. So much so that I just had to sign in to this forum and post a link to it.

I've even added it to TheBetterQuran. I have a live Google Hangout on November 28th at 9PM with a guy from youtube named AllTruthRevealed on the subject "Is the Quran man made?" I am definitely going to use this argument, not only is it indisputable, but it oozes with irony too.

Well done CaptainDisguise. You are one of my most admired counter apologists!

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #1 - November 07, 2014, 11:25 AM

Very nice!  Afro

Though to play Devil's advocate, many Muslims will claim that no human work is without error. If you show them any work - a book, painting or whatever, they will say it could have been phrased better or the nose is at the wrong angle etc...

The usual pathetic evasive action - but one that will let them wriggle out.

Perfection in art is subjective. (Which in itself invalidates an objective claim to perfection.)

Reply #2 - November 07, 2014, 11:30 AM

You might want to check you mail server's workload, TheRationalizer - almost two years for an e-mail to get through? Shocked The blog post is from February, 2013.

Still, thanks for the link. However Muslims in general seem to be extremely resistant to logic. Perhaps they just need enough of it.

Well, Allah knows best parrot

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #3 - November 07, 2014, 12:21 PM

Though to play Devil's advocate, many Muslims will claim that no human work is without error. If you show them any work - a book, painting or whatever, they will say it could have been phrased better or the nose is at the wrong angle etc...

But "possible to make better" is not the same as "is incorrect". I could write a book called "Some things I did today" which could easily be 100% accurate.

I woke up.
    I did some work.

The argument is that if Allah doesn't write a book then it DOES have errors in it, and this is simply a false assertion Smiley

Reply #4 - November 07, 2014, 12:53 PM

Yes, though to be fair it says;

'do they not reflect upon the Qur'an if it was from anyone else but God it would have much contradiction'

in other words a work of similar size and scope - rather than:

I woke up.
    I did some work.

They would still claim that any similar work of literature has got "much contradiction" and proving it either way will be a subjective matter - and so they can claim; oh that contradicts this etc...

Remember, we are talking about people who claim there are absolutely no contradictions in the Qur'an!!
     Reply #5 - November 07, 2014, 05:15 PM

Then I just need to keep a diary of my life instead Smiley

But seriously, there are lots of human books without errors in. Especially when given the freedom that Muslims seem to have when deciding what the words mean.

The Quran has around 77k words in it. Take a look at the word counts of these famous novels...
    http://commonplacebook.com/culture/literature/books/word-count-for-famous-novels/

Reply #6 - November 07, 2014, 06:00 PM

I'd say that the most poorly written book can have 0 contradiction. For the sake of novels, contradictions would be the characters with a clear power deficit having a draw going all out, or a character that is unable to swim somehow swimming across a huge pool of water for the sake of plot, or a character inexplicably  losing an ability, etc.

I think a better counter-argument could be to criticize the translation? Could you not very well argue that "ekhtelafan" here means difference, not contradiction, as in the Qur'an wouldn't have been as it is if it was not written by Allah?

أشهد أن لا إله
     Reply #7 - November 07, 2014, 06:24 PM

Then I just need to keep a diary of my life instead Smiley

But seriously, there are lots of human books without errors in. Especially when given the freedom that Muslims seem to have when deciding what the words mean.

Oh I agree - my point is there is no iron-clad watertight argument when dealing with believers. They see what they want to see.
     Reply #8 - November 07, 2014, 06:37 PM

Perhaps they could wiggle out it because the Quran claims to have knowledge of things humans wouldn't have knowledge of? I mean it still doesn't really follow since aliens or other hypothetical beings could have knowledge of things that humans wouldn't have access to, but if the Quran somehow actually contained knowledge unavailable to humans and recorded it without error, then the fact it would have no errors might make sense of the statement. Of course, the Quran does have errors in it and its historical knowledge isn't true, but if it were maybe the statement might make logical sense in a colloquial way.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »