Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Where to begin

(Read 5409 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Where to begin
     OP - November 04, 2014, 05:46 PM

I really don't know where to begin...

I guess I was always a nominal Muslim. I would fast during Ramadan though I hated it - I never believed in all that 'oh it's such a blessing' bollocks.
    I never liked praying though sometimes I would because I felt guilty that I didn't though it never made sense why I have to pray in a language I don't understand.
    I only enjoyed going to the mosque to meet my friends; I found the Qur'an really boring and I used to forget wearing my hijab a lot.
    I never liked the sound of the adhan; it's always annoyed me.
    Yet here I am, mid 20s, only just admitting to myself and others that I am no longer a Muslim. So why did it take me so long? I guess I believed that the Qur'an was always being misinterpreted by those in positions of power, and to an extent I still think that's the case - religious texts are always used to get people to do good and bad things alike. And while I don't think that there is one way to be a Muslim, I don't think I can call myself one anymore, simply because the more I read, I less I believe Islam is true.
    The turning point was reading Saif Rahman's The Islamist Delusion. I sat there thinking, is that really what that hadith says? Is that really what Muhammad did/said? So that's how the Qur'an was compiled. I was slightly apprehensive and scared because I thought, if I question this, what else will I question? What is my identity? Who the hell am I? What am I supposed to believe about a deity or the afterlife?
    The funny thing is, an acquaintance - who is ex Muslim - said he knew I was heading in this direction, that's why hos beliefs never bothered me. And I guess that's why other ex Muslims or atheists feel they can talk to me. It seems as though everyone knew who I was before I did!
    It no longer makes any sense to me. Many aspects of the religion do not make sense to me. For example, no one, no scholar or learned person, could ever explain the concept of free will to me. They tried to explain with analogies yet it left me more confused than before.
    I had a chat with a family member who confessed to being an atheist (I know!) and I told them that I think I'm probably an agnostic. They were supportive of what I said, and told me that "religion is all a big con anyway". Finally, I thought, I have someone on my side.
    Then my mum wanted to talk to me about my future and what not. She wants me to get married and I told her I'm not sure if I could ever bring home a Muslim because I'm not very religious. I couldn't tell her I don't believe in any of it anymore, but I just said I don't agree with certain beliefs. She looked at me as though I was something she had stepped in. I will never forget that look of disgust on her face, and all because I said I don't believe in the same things she does. She has been becoming more religious, praying five times a day (which is a colossal waste of time if you ask me) and watching those brainwashing channels every goddamn hour of every day. She is supposed to be an educated woman working in the medical field yet she is so closed minded it is dangerous.
    My friend told me what I did took guts - "I take my hat off to you" - and I know I have friends who support me. It just would have been nice to have had that parental support. My male relatives have gotten involved in drugs and other stupid things yet I am the disgrace, I am the problem child - all because I question things!

Anyhow. Sorry for rambling on here but I am a bit of a storyteller - as per my name - and I wanted to be concise.
    I shall try to respond to any comments/questions below. Thank you for reading my story = ]

Run my dear, from anything that may not strengthen your precious budding wings
  • Where to begin
     Reply #1 - November 04, 2014, 06:05 PM

Hi here too grin12

Funnily Saif Rahman is active on this site once in a while. He logged in yesterday. He has 23854 posts here mysmilie_977

Older post by Saif: My book 'The Allah Delusion' is finally ready.

Sorry to hear about your mother's increasing religiosity :( It must be hard to watch when you are going in the direct opposite direction yourself. Unfortunately this seems to be very common with parents, particular mothers.

However luckily with your friends you are not alone in an Islamic bubble. has described this (paraphrased) "like being the only sober person in a car full of drunks and not being allowed to drive".

You're in the UK? What is your family's ethnic/cultural background? Do you study?

Bonus welcome parrot parrot

Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Where to begin
     Reply #2 - November 04, 2014, 06:11 PM

I am a working woman living in the UK.

As you can understand, I don't wish to divulge too many details as it may lead to my identification.
    It's ridiculous that only ex Muslims have to hide their true beliefs, whereas if you are of Christian or Jewish heritage, there isn't the same level of fear

• Where to begin
     Reply #3 - November 04, 2014, 06:21 PM

Welcome Scheherazade Afro

Glad you have joined the forum, you are amongst friends here.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Where to begin
     Reply #4 - November 04, 2014, 06:24 PM

Hello...gosh that's a difficult name to spell....Welcome to a happy place
  • Where to begin
     Reply #5 - November 04, 2014, 06:25 PM

Welcome in! You take care. If need any help just ask ok?  parrot
  • Where to begin
     Reply #6 - November 04, 2014, 06:37 PM

My male relatives have gotten involved in drugs and other stupid things yet I am the disgrace, I am the problem child - all because I question things!

This is just so annoying on every level

God is Love.

• Where to begin
     Reply #7 - November 04, 2014, 06:51 PM

As you can understand, I don't wish to divulge too many details as it may lead to my identification.

Perfectly understandable Smiley

It's ridiculous that only ex Muslims have to hide their true beliefs, whereas if you are of Christian or Jewish heritage, there isn't the same level of fear

True in the vast majority of cases, but it happens as can be read in this thread by a an ex-Orthodox Jew.

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Where to begin
     Reply #8 - November 04, 2014, 06:54 PM

Hello and welcome
    We are the first generation of exmuslims in the last 1300-1400. Leaving islam in almost all communities and especially publicly leaving Islam is very rare.I know of no one from my country that I have met in real life or personally know who has left Islam. In that sense... its a lonely business. I suspect that its because of this fact that leaving Islam is shocking and very disturbing to even nonpracticing secularized individuals. It triggers something in the brain, and I suspect that alot of exmuslims and their families will have this problem, until leaving Islam becomes common and non dramatic, or religious interpretation changes.
  • Where to begin
     Reply #9 - November 04, 2014, 07:43 PM

My mum has been in a foul mood all day, ever since I told her about my real feelings. I wish I hadn't said anything now because she's barely talking to me and then when my brother didn't know what Muharram is, she snapped and started screaming and shouting (thankfully I was upstairs). Then she quoted what I said to her yesterday in a sarcastic way and my brother sounded puzzled asking who even said that, what are you on about? Now she's blaming everyone else, accusing my stepdad of not teaching us Islam.
    I'm really scared she's going to do something stupid

• Where to begin
     Reply #10 - November 04, 2014, 07:50 PM

Oh Scheherazade, this is hurtful to read Cry
    far away hug

Would it be beneficial to you to try to soothe things a bit?

• Where to begin
     Reply #11 - November 04, 2014, 08:02 PM

Is is it like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmRui1oFF0
  • Where to begin
     Reply #12 - November 04, 2014, 08:04 PM

Friend yes....be a calm voice in these stormy waters. ...just do what you can to bring some calm...you can shout and scream in here. ...at home try and make some peace
  • Where to begin
     Reply #13 - November 04, 2014, 08:31 PM

My mum has been in a foul mood all day, ever since I told her about my real feelings. I wish I hadn't said anything now because she's barely talking to me and then when my brother didn't know what Muharram is, she snapped and started screaming and shouting (thankfully I was upstairs). Then she quoted what I said to her yesterday in a sarcastic way and my brother sounded puzzled asking who even said that, what are you on about? Now she's blaming everyone else, accusing my stepdad of not teaching us Islam.
    I'm really scared she's going to do something stupid

Now may be the time to take the temperature down and pretend that you are on board with her on Islam, just to save yourself the hassle, for strategic reasons. Temporarily.

God is Love.

• Re: Where to begin
     Reply #14 - November 04, 2014, 09:03 PM

I really don't know where to begin...

The beginning.

The turning point was reading Saif Rahman's The Islamist Delusion. I sat there thinking, is that really what that hadith says? Is that really what Muhammad did/said? So that's

Saif Rahman's work was also one of my final inspirations - though it was videos rather than books -, may Allah bless him.

They were supportive of what I said, and told me that "religion is all a big con anyway". Finally, I thought, I have someone on my side.

That reminds me of this quote by Mark Twain:

"Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool."

Then my mum wanted to talk to me about my future and what not. She wants me to get married and I told her I'm not sure if I could ever bring home a Muslim because I'm not very religious. I couldn't tell her I don't believe in any of it anymore, but I just said I don't agree with certain beliefs. She looked at me as though I was something she had stepped in. I will never forget that look of disgust on her face, and all because I said I don't believe in the same things she does. She has been becoming more religious, praying five times a day (which is a colossal waste of time if you ask me) and watching those brainwashing channels every goddamn hour of every day. She is supposed to be an educated woman working in the medical field yet she is so closed minded it is dangerous.

She's probably taking it pretty hard on herself, she's failed to guide you on the right path. She was blessed with being a Muslim and then she led her daughter into darkness to be consumed by the demonic flames of hell! Or something of the sort.

My friend told me what I did took guts - "I take my hat off to you" - and I know I have friends who support me. It just would have been nice to have had that parental support.

I'm glad that you seem surrounded by so many supportive people and it does take guts; Instead of take my hat off I hope this parrot will do for now.parrot and Welcome.

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Where to begin
     Reply #15 - November 05, 2014, 08:01 AM

Welcome to the forum Scheherazade Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Where to begin
     Reply #16 - November 05, 2014, 07:24 PM

I am a working woman living in the UK.

My condolences on living in the UK. Terrible weather, and full of English people. If you can live with that, you can handle anything. Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Where to begin
     Reply #17 - November 05, 2014, 10:23 PM

Welcome Scheherazade,

I hope all is well.

I have seen all that from very close. I would agree with billy:

Now may be the time to take the temperature down and pretend that you are on board with her on Islam, just to save yourself the hassle, for strategic reasons. Temporarily.

All the best
    Smiley Smiley Smiley

Every true faith is infallible. It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search - Neitchze
  • Where to begin
     Reply #18 - November 05, 2014, 10:29 PM

Welcome Scheherazade Smiley

I like your avatar  Afro

• Where to begin
     Reply #19 - November 06, 2014, 02:56 AM

parrot Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Where to begin
     Reply #20 - November 07, 2014, 05:23 PM

Hi Scheherazade, I'm 46 and my mother still screams at me. But now I have my own home and I can walk away. Be careful and hold it in until you are in a position to support yourself or go away to uni. Aggravating her now may narrow your chances. My sister was carted off to be married at 17.

At least you know some people who understand.
    That always helps to lessen the burden.

Many of us here can say 'been there, bought the t-shirt' but wearing it without prejudice is a bit harder.  Smiley
  • Where to begin
     Reply #21 - November 10, 2014, 09:57 AM

hello there and welcome! Smiley life is sure a bumpy and many roads to take. hang in there and keep strong! all the luck for you! Smiley
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »