Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Yasir Qadri

(Read 4479 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Yasir Qadri
     OP - November 01, 2014, 01:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=APVCAxF4C8Q

You know muslim arrogance is really beginning to get on my nerves!

Esp how this video contains absolutely NO FACTS or EVIDENCE and is totally based on assumptions and opinions

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #1 - November 01, 2014, 01:32 PM

Haven't watched it yet, but captaindisguise posted it with a summary and his comments on /r/exmuslim - it has sparked debate:

/r/exmuslim: Dr. Yasir Qadhi on "Why are Muslims leaving Islam?"

Summary
    Humans have physical, spiritual and intellectual aspects. Islam fulfills all 3 aspects.
    Many Muslims focus only on 1 aspect (esp. the intellectual) and may leave Islam because they can’t understand every minute detail.

Islam doesn’t have anything that is irrational BUT some parts of Islam are “supra-rational” i.e. it is beyond the reach of human intellect and hence should simple be accepted. For ex: why is Salat 5 times a day rather than some other number.

Murtads (apostates) leave Islam for “standard” questions about ethics in Islamic law, Qur’an, biography of Muhammad etc

Murtads are mostly young men and women going through a crisis of faith and then become agnostics or atheists. Their problems/ doubts/ questions are entirely a modern phenomenon.

Concepts about God’s existence, human sexuality were taken for granted in previous generations but are being questioned in modern times. It is this modern culture that puts doubts into the young Muslims.

Young Muslims having such questions/ doubts should first doubt their questions and the surrounding culture before doubting the Quran. For ex: marriage to Aisha shouldn’t be a problem because the culture back allowed for it.

The doubts of Murtads are always based on details in Islamic law rather than on theology, miracle of the quran etc

Fitrah tells us that God is one and that God needs to be worshipped. Therefore, Young Muslims in doubt should accept the entire religion as a “package” deal rather than leave it for a few questionable details.

Whoever wills to be guided will be guided so young Muslims in doubt should sincerely pray to God. So if Murtads are sincere, they will come back to Islam

My Preliminary Thoughts
    There is a plethora of men plaguing the internet being presented as Islamic Scholars. Unlike them, Dr. Yasir Qadhi has always been one who even an apostate like me could listen to. He is as disagreeable as any other however he is different for not being disrespectful or condescending to those he disagrees with.

It is good to see that mainstream Muslim figures are now addressing the fact that people are leaving Islam. The canard about fake apostates working for the Zionists was indeed getting old. Who better to start that conversation than someone like Dr. Yasir Qadhi.

Yet, as it should be expected, apostates are being represented as immature, brainwashed and in general as individuals who lack a certain intangible ‘something’ in their life. Once again, this is unsurprising. Before a group or ideology is properly understood, it is always preceded by a period of stereotypes or misrepresentations. Hence I am more than happy to see this as a progress of some kind.

That being said, here are a few of my disputes with what Dr. Yasir Qadhi has said,

1) Genetic fallacy: Discrediting or falsifying a certain position based solely on the origin of that position is known as the genetic fallacy. The talk almost entirely was about what causes young men and women to doubt Islam. Of course, it isn’t much of a surprise that when you are a teenager, your reasons for any decision may not be thorough or sophisticated and that the surrounding culture plays a huge role. Yet what YQ fails or forgets to acknowledge is that this period is only a beginning phase rather than the entire apostasy experience. Apostates have their on intellectual and spiritual journey and it may very well be the case that these “standard” doubts or questions initiate the path ahead. Much more will inevitably be learned on the path. The initial “standard” or unsophisticated reasons will not be the sole force behind one’s apostasy.

Of course, the same genetic fallacy can also be applied to those who become Muslims or those “Muslims” who become religious. For instance, there are those who converted based on false or weak Islamic apologetics such as ‘science in the quran’ or numerology or hoaxes. However, it is also possible that they later found stronger reason to remain a Muslim. Hence to discredit their Islam by exposing flaws in their initial reasons is intellectually insincere.

2) Islam is not the default position: The genetic fallacy is followed by his insistence that since the “standard” questions don’t matter very much; the young Muslims in doubt should stay in Islam. This is based on the assumption that Islam is a default position. He may believe this and he elaborates on it with the Islamic doctrine of fitrah. I am willing to believe that he indeed feels this way. I am willing to believe there are many individuals for whom the belief that there is no God is like believing there is no universe.

Yet would you be willing to believe there are those who do not have such a belief or intuition. Would you be willing to believe that I am able to conceive of the possibility that there is no God and that isn’t like rejecting the external universe? Would you be willing to accept that while you are unable to see the Quran as being human, I am unable to see it as being divine? Hence, shouldn’t you accept that for those like me, Islam would not appeal as a default position given that we do not find any good reasons to think it is true?

3) Intellectual apostasy: This has been already touched on but deserves a few remarks on its own. Even the very possibility of an intellectual apostasy was omitted or rejected in YQ’s talk. His insistence that no part of Islam is irrational and that if apostates are sincere, then they would be Muslims, is an open admission that he believes there are no intellectual reasons to leave Islam. He believes, the Muslims who do leave are for the “standard” reasons which consist of a few select modern conflicts in ethics.

Here is a thought game for those who think like Dr. Yasir Qadhi on this issue. Let us work under the 2 assumptions that Islam is true and that there exists a solution to all the doubts about it.

However, a person like myself seeks justification for the beliefs I hold to be true. For ex: Assume that extra-terrestrial life does indeed exist, however for me to believe that statement to be true, I would need some justification (empirical evidence in this example). In the absence of such justification, I can only accept the possibility that there may be extra-terrestrial life.

In a similar vein, even if Islam is the ultimate truth, a limited human being like me would need some justification to hold that belief to be true. If all the reasons provided to me in this day and age are unconvincing or weak or false, then I would not be able to accept Islam. Hence, I may leave Islam as a result.

Condemning such a decision as a result of “unintellectual insincerity” would be an actual case of “intellectual insincerity.”

Without going in to any detail, there are plenty of reasons to be intellectually skeptical of Islam; anything from the fallibility, historicity and morality of the Qur’an, hadith, Muhammad, fiqh to the problems in Islamic theology such as free will, eternity of Quran, religious exclusivism etc to general epistemological concerns can be a part of that discussion. To ignore all that complexity and to merely label apostates as “insincere” is unbecoming of a scholar such as Dr. Yasir Qadhi.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #2 - November 01, 2014, 02:31 PM

Dr. Yasir Qadhi on "Why are Muslims leaving Islam?"................

Humans have physical, spiritual and intellectual aspects. Islam fulfills all 3 aspects.

da..ada,ada,,,,da,,daaaaaaaaaa ....... rubbish....

Dr. Yasir Qadhi .....Dr. Yasir Qadhi.. DOCTOR...

doctor or actor..  Fools talk nonsense..    So?   So what??  what is the big deal?? Sure Islam may provide some comfort to some folks., big deal.,     but will that not apply to other so-called religions apart from  Islam?  And there are plenty of cults and cult figure out there that gave and give some comfort to some folks.. So what?

what is the big deal and what is new in it??  

Well in recent years Islam also appears to be doing this.,    generate/give birth to  innumerable nut cases often brutal and project themselves as best Muslims in the towns  from al over the globe..    Here look at the heroes of Islam  that come out of these groups..
    Organizations currently officially designated as terrorist by various governments

Abdullah Azzam Brigades
    Abu Nidal Organization
    Abu Sayyaf Islamic Martyrs
    al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades
    Al-Nusra Front
    Al-Shabaab
    Al-Umar-Mujahideen
    Ansar al-Sharia (Libya)
    Ansar al-Sharia (Tunisia)
    Armed Islamic Group of Algeria
    Egyptian Islamic Jihad
    Harakat-Ul-Mujahideen/Alami
    Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Islamic State)
    Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan
    Lashkar-e-Taiba
    Lashkar-e-Jhangvi

etc..etc,...,

Look at all those Al-Shit ..Al-fuck.. al-bullshits all over the globe that came out of Islam/Islamic mullah baboons .. like that good Doctor..  Some one sent me a  picture with all those groups that gave birth to Islamic heroes that I will not share here.......

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #3 - November 01, 2014, 04:13 PM

I always thought Yasir Qadhi was a douche, he disguises his despicable views and misogyny with that fake smile and "humbleness". Like always, Muslims have far too many issues and complexes with themselves and their own religion and that's why they can't accept the fact that people leave Islam because of intellectual reasons

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #4 - November 01, 2014, 04:19 PM

intellectual and moral, ethical reasons

they can't fathom that people can disagree with Islam on ethical grounds, because they think Islam is the perfection of human ethics.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #5 - November 01, 2014, 04:28 PM

^

For me I found the ethical parts of Islam deeply troubling but that wasn't enough to get me to leave because I still wouldn't oppose a violent religion if that would end up with me being subject to eternal torture.

It was the lack of evidence and the failure of apologists that got me to leave.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #6 - November 01, 2014, 06:20 PM

I always thought Yasir Qadhi was a douche, he disguises his despicable views and misogyny with that fake smile and "humbleness". Like always, Muslims have far too many issues and complexes with themselves and their own religion and that's why they can't accept the fact that people leave Islam because of intellectual reasons

Exactly this

He says in his video that islam is totally rational, few things can only be explained by god but that doesnt meant its irrational. WTF man, the lengths muslim go through to cover up islam. You would think a religion from god would not need that much cover up to be seen as true.

I spoke to a convert one who was happy in islam but also in the same breath admitted that sometimes she didnt understand islam. She was refering to the unfairness between men and woman in islam. Most people are too afraid to look deeper.

Anyway i am just tired of hearing how perfect islam is. Especially when my mum goes of. (Let me not get started on her)

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #7 - November 01, 2014, 06:43 PM

"Sommon bokmon 3omyon fahom laa yarji3oon" 

Deaf, dumb and blind - so they will not return [to the right path, in this case rationality and reason]

Ps I'm gonna recite a bit of al quran, going through al baqarah I remembered I used to like it. Tongue

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #8 - November 01, 2014, 07:59 PM

The "being depressed with not having islam/religion" shit is complete bollocks. One of my siblings who is devout muslim is clinically depressed and has attempted suicide various times. My dad is a devout muslim and he is manic depressive.

Lol at him saying islam is not irrational. So jinns and angels isn't irrational?  Cheesy
    is a man living in a fish/whale for 3 days not irrational?  Cheesy
    is a wooden stick turning into a snake not irrational?  Cheesy
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #9 - November 01, 2014, 08:02 PM

Actually, despite my trials and tribulations that are all a result of my apostasy, I'm more happy now than I ever were as a Muslim. Islam sucks the life out of you.

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #10 - November 01, 2014, 08:52 PM

Islam sucks the life out of you.

I like to say Islam sucks the fun out of life.

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #11 - November 01, 2014, 09:34 PM

Well that too, and any real joy life can offer you

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #12 - November 01, 2014, 11:03 PM

Does anyone pay attention to this guy?

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #13 - November 01, 2014, 11:05 PM

yeah, he's quite popular

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #14 - November 01, 2014, 11:06 PM

I like to say Islam sucks the fun out of life.

Exactly!
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #15 - November 01, 2014, 11:10 PM

Unfortunately, yes. He has a strong following of young kids who actually consider him to be a scholar of hadith. There may not be many of them, but they are becoming more popular on college campuses among confused Muslim kids. Even he himself has gone through quite a transformation. While he was in Madinah he had a huge beard and considered himself a salafi. Now, the beard has been trimmed a bit and he's doing damage control to keep the crabs in the bucket.
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #16 - November 01, 2014, 11:35 PM

He is really popular among North American muslims.

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #17 - November 02, 2014, 02:20 AM

Quote from the video :
    The Koran never challenges Allah's revelation, The Koran never tells you to challenge Allah's revelation, rather the Koran says think is Islam is true or not, once you come to the conclusion that the Koran is the book of Allah, once you admit and submit the Koran is the book from Allah, then you are not supposed to question Allah's wisdom! We will never understand why we pray five times! It's not against reason, you just submit... So the Muslim does not need to intellectually analyse each law in the Koran...

I will leave it to the reader to judge the arguments stated below.
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #18 - November 02, 2014, 11:00 AM

5 daily prayers is not in the Qur'an. Ba-tssch!

But what Muslim would know if one does not need to intellectually analyse each law in the Qur'an? Roll Eyes

Chose the easy path. Go Muslim!

Actually, despite my trials and tribulations that are all a result of my apostasy, I'm more happy now than I ever were as a Muslim. Islam sucks the life out of you.

I am so happy to hear this, Cornflower! parrot Smiley
    hugs

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #19 - November 02, 2014, 08:15 PM

I am so happy to hear this, Cornflower! parrot Smiley
    hugs

Well, that says more about my past state than my current one. Like, before when I was a Muslim and all I was miserable with literally no dreams or hopes for the future. But thanks Smiley

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #20 - November 02, 2014, 08:34 PM

Still happy Tongue

• Yasir Qadri
     Reply #21 - November 02, 2014, 10:11 PM

Muslims take their religion very seriously. Everything is about praying. There is no fun. They don't have colourful festivals like Holi. Or something like Christmas when people party get tipsy - colour everywhere. There is no singing like in Hindu and Sikh temples or churches.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
  • Yasir Qadri
     Reply #22 - November 03, 2014, 04:01 AM

The "being depressed with not having islam/religion" shit is complete bollocks. One of my siblings who is devout muslim is clinically depressed and has attempted suicide various times. My dad is a devout muslim and he is manic depressive.

Lol at him saying islam is not irrational. So jinns and angels isn't irrational?  Cheesy
    is a man living in a fish/whale for 3 days not irrational?  Cheesy
    is a wooden stick turning into a snake not irrational?  Cheesy

Once you start accepting the concept of God as filler answers for the unknown or fantasy it become easier and easier. Like early today my dog woke me up from a nap just in time to watch the hockey game. The timing was too much for coincidence, God did it... It could also be well beyond his dinner time, he is old and a grumpy bugger if I mess up his schedule. This happens everyday at the same time and for the same reason. Nah that can not be it, I will go with the man with the snake stick, seems legit.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »