Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Saudi secular humanist living in the USA

(Read 2931 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Saudi secular humanist living in the USA
     OP - October 31, 2014, 08:34 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a new member:)
    I'm a male Saudi living in the US. I am an atheist and a secular humanist. I have been an activist and i ran a philosophy club in Saudi Arabia. My mission is a secular humanist ME. I really don't think that i was ever a believer however, living a conservative small town in Saudi Arabia lead me to conform although i was always been resistant to it. My reasons for leaving Islam officially are as follows:
    1: I think the God of Abraham is ugly ugly character and Islam manifest that ugliness in this modern age. Unlike christianity and Judaism, Islam did not evolve and actually it is in a state of regression. ISIS is a terrible movement with a terrible agenda, i think it comes with a positive this, which is, the projection of the Quran into a state and society. I have many Muslim friends who actually left islam after discussing with them the consistency and commitment of ISIS to the scriptures. When a person read history and scriptures that include acts like beheading, stoning. etc, the picture in the mind of the reader is usually mixed with tales of heroism and piety but seeing it is a different thing where the ugliness of those acts becomes dominant.
    2:Islam, like all the Abrahamic religions, operates with apocalyptic fantasies in mind. This is an extremely scary thought for me. The difference that makes Islam unique is the fact that there is consensus on those fantasies. Furthermore, it is a reality amongst a population that is growing more than another nations in the world. can you imagine a world with a majority of muslims who are extremely uneducated and sharing those apocalyptic fantasies? This is a scary thought.
    3: It is violent and irrational.... nuf said:)

Looking forward to interesting discussions and insights from all of you . Sorry for the long introduction:)
     Reply #1 - October 31, 2014, 08:42 PM

Welcome to the forum Afro

maldabba has a YouTube channel focussed on promoting secular humanism in the middle-east

https://www.youtube.com/user/muathaldabbagh?app=desktop

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - October 31, 2014, 08:49 PM

Welcome in! Not a long introduction at all! Very interesting stuff.

parrot parrot bunny bunny piggy piggy
     Reply #3 - October 31, 2014, 09:42 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a new member:)

Hi maldabba,

Good to have another Saudi on the forum Smiley It is beneficial to the discourse to be able to refer to that you actually know reasonable, secular and humanist Saudis when countering blanket anti-Saudis and anti-Muslim bigotry.

Welcome parrot for you parrot

I'm a male Saudi living in the US. I am an atheist and a secular humanist. I have been an activist and i ran a philosophy club in Saudi Arabia. My mission is a secular humanist ME. I really don't think that i was ever a believer however, living a conservative small town in Saudi Arabia lead me to conform although i was always been resistant to it.

Awesome Smiley Are you still running something, such as a Facebook community or a blog?
    If you feel safe about telling, what part of Saudi Arabia are you from?
    Do your family know you are not a believer? How is their attitude regarding Islam?

1: I think the God of Abraham is ugly ugly character

I grew up atheist in a cultural Christian society, learning the stories of the bible as intriguing fairy tales by looking in an old picture bible my maternal grand parents had and was never exposed to literalist believers until I met "faithful" propagandising Muslims here in Denmark. Then I started noticing that we also have Christian and Jewish literalists here. Freaked me out. I had lived under a rock. Or rather I just didn't encounter it in my personal life so for me it wasn't a problem.

As I went to a private doesn't-care-about-religion-at-all school I didn't get the state-ordained dose of Christendom. I visited a friend when I was 11 or 12 in another part of the country and went with her to school for a week and met it there. It was very, very, very foreign to me.

ISIS is a terrible movement with a terrible agenda, i think it comes with a positive this, which is, the projection of the Quran into a state and society. I have many Muslim friends who actually left islam after discussing with them the consistency and commitment of ISIS to the scriptures.

But... But... But... ISIL has nothing to do with Islam!!! It is The Religion of Peace!!! Read the Qur'an! Angry

I hate to say this because of the carnage but perhaps ISIL in the long run will be beneficial for the "liberation" of Musilms world-wide. Their actions and deeds really put the sanctuary of the scriptures to the test.

On a logical point I don't get that some people are afraid of ISIL invading Europe or the US. Those countries have shown what they ultimately are capable off in WW1 and WW2. Infiltration and eventual concerted bombing campaigns can of course make it very nasty, but we haven't seen anything like that yet and our Muslim communities in general are wary of people getting radicalised. Except for organisations like Hizb ut-Tahrir, of course. Those guys are scary and influence both society and local Muslims with their Caliphate-and-Sharia-will-fix-this-world's-real-and-perceived-evils and their "social work", particularly in Europe - and also in "moderate" Muslim majority countries like Malaysia and Indonesia finmad

2:Islam, like all the Abrahamic religions, operates with apocalyptic fantasies in mind. This is an extremely scary thought for me.

Pakistan. Nukes. And the US. And Israel. Possibly eventually Iran. Bad combos. Very bad combos.
    It is also a catalyst for the occasional localised carnage around the world. And consumes the free spirit of believers, enslaving them to be abused by dogmatics.

The difference that makes Islam unique is the fact that there is consensus on those fantasies. Furthermore, it is a reality amongst a population that is growing more than another nations in the world. can you imagine a world with a majority of muslims who are extremely uneducated and sharing those apocalyptic fantasies? This is a scary thought.

All the shit that happened in 1979 (Iran, Masjid al-Haram, Afghanistan) really got the extremists going with the radicalisation of Islamic communities. However I think we would have happened there anyway. It was already underway.

Looking forward to interesting discussions and insights from all of you . Sorry for the long introduction:)

Same Smiley Welcome again.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #4 - October 31, 2014, 10:05 PM

Hala wallah. Welcome to the forum.  parrot bunny

I think many enlightened Saudis know firsthand just how much of a nightmare it can be living in a theocracy. I spent some time there myself. Glad to have you here.
     Reply #5 - October 31, 2014, 10:26 PM

Welcome Maladabba,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and the good work that you have been doing.
    Islam is raising its head begore its demise. It is bound to happen in its natural history. ISIS will only speed up the process but at the expense of so many innocent lives :(
    People will see the true colours of Islam being practised as in scripture and how barbaric and horrific it is. I believe it will take a considerable time ( 1979-2014 isn't long enough time) to go through all this mess before muslims would slowly dissociate themselves from its practice. I think that unfortunately this is going to escalate for a considerable time before it peaks. Since 9/11, I have seen some of my friends becoming disenchanted and others becoming more religious and more involved. I hate to see humans killing, maiming, torturing and destroying the lives of fellow humans based on something that is totally untrue. I wish, I wish, there was a way of showing Jihadis that once they are dead, they are rock solid dead, there is no after life, and certainly no heaven...even if they get themselves exploded into a million tiny pieces. It is going to be all like it was before birth.
    Sorry for rambling on.
    Take care,
    Have a great time and success in your endeavour.
    Smiley Smiley Smiley

Every true faith is infallible. It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search - Neitchze
     Reply #6 - October 31, 2014, 10:27 PM

Welcome maldabba  Smiley
     Reply #7 - October 31, 2014, 10:31 PM

Sorry, I spelt Maldabba wrong!

Every true faith is infallible. It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search - Neitchze
     Reply #8 - November 01, 2014, 12:59 AM

I am not sure if that is the proper way to respond on a thread.. but i guess it works. Thank you all for the kind words.

Nikolaj,
    i lived for along time in a small town in saudi arabia called Taif.. its a tribal place and it is really bad. its like muslims on steroids. It is one of the hubs for radical islam in saudi arabia... YEAH i know! Regarding my family, i really don't care about what they think i have always been confrontational. many of my extended family members and immediate family stopped talking to me long time ago... i don't mind it, its unfortunate, but id rather be consistent to my self.
    like i said i have always been outspoken in saudi arabia and i ran a philosophy club there and i was open about it and many of the member also.
    i used to blog for a while but my first blog got blocked in saudi so i stopped doing it.. however, i have a few projects going on. one being the youtube channel where i conduct interviews with some philosophers discussing the topic i am woking to improve my skills.. they all have been translated in arabic and shared in closed groups. Also i am still connected in discussions through Skype. I am also working on a documentary movie that is still in the preliminary phase and arranging for a conference here in Ohio on secular humanism and also covering ISIS and other topics related to  the ME but mainly on humanism. My objective to find the right packaging to sell humanism in the middle east.
    the link below is my interview with Dan Dennett. you will find follow up interviews with Steven pinker and Noam Chomsky. i have two coming interviews in December.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qxadhDB6qQ

Reply #9 - November 01, 2014, 02:34 AM

Ya Hala welcome. I was born in KSA but I been in the states since my teen days. Its always a pleasure to meet Humanists from back home.
     Reply #10 - November 02, 2014, 11:52 AM

Welcome to the forum maldabba Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #11 - November 03, 2014, 05:54 AM

I am a new member too here but
    اهلا وسهلا Smiley

from the Count Smiley

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #12 - November 03, 2014, 05:57 AM

BTW your English in the videos is excellent and it's impressive that you've gotten to talk with big names in academia like Noam Chomsky.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »