Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pope Francis

(Read 5192 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Pope Francis
     OP - October 31, 2014, 11:14 AM

I'm quite liking this new pope. He is pushing for the acceptance of gays and for the acceptance of the theory of the big bang theory and evolution.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-declares-evolution-and-big-bang-theory-are-right-and-god-isnt-a-magician-with-a-magic-wand-9822514.html

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #1 - October 31, 2014, 11:35 AM

He makes such much more sense than Pope Benedict.

The Catholic church is obviously still full of bollocks and has an extremely nasty history, but it is progress.

The Catholic church has about 1.2 billion followers worldwide, so any progressive thinking on the part of the church has a large impact. Not that Catholics necessarily follow the rulings (like on pre-marital sex and contraceptives).

Problem is that where the Catholic church actually has a grip on people it is still devastating for women - no contraceptives (HIV), no abortions UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! and shit like that.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #2 - October 31, 2014, 11:40 AM

Any progress, is positive at this point. Maybe Pope may  have alternative views on HIV and contraceptives. But I definitely do not see a change in their stance on abortion in the near future.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #3 - October 31, 2014, 02:12 PM

Interesting guy, that's for sure. Also probably the world's holiest former nightclub bouncer.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #4 - October 31, 2014, 02:21 PM

I don't understand why the previous one 'resigned' - has there been any more light shed on why?
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #5 - October 31, 2014, 02:29 PM

Apparently due to health issues. This one has said he might resign in a few years as well cause he is old himself. I like Francis way more than Ratzinger though, Ratzinger I was highly creeped out by.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #6 - October 31, 2014, 05:06 PM

Apparently due to health issues

But that never stopped a Pope in the past carrying-on on until they died.

Just seems a bit odd.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #7 - October 31, 2014, 08:29 PM

But that never stopped a Pope in the past carrying-on on until they died.

Just seems a bit odd.

Are you hinting that maybe the church had decided that it needs to change its approach and thus replaced the previous pope for a more progressive one? Or am I over-thinking what you mean?

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #8 - October 31, 2014, 10:36 PM

Are you hinting that maybe the church had decided that it needs to change its approach and thus replaced the previous pope for a more progressive one? Or am I over-thinking what you mean?

Well I'm not hinting at any specific explanation - I just think there is very likely more to this than we have been told.

Pope's don't just resign. Doesn't matter how old and ill and dying they are (some cynics might say that's practically part of the job-description - but not me I hasten to add  grin12). Nor do they suddenly decide, "Thanks, but I think the job's not for me."
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #9 - October 31, 2014, 10:43 PM

Well I'm not hinting at any specific explanation - I just think there is very likely more to this than we have been told.

Pope's don't just resign. Doesn't matter how old and ill and dying they are (some cynics might say that's practically part of the job-description - but not me I hasten to add  grin12). Nor do they suddenly decide, "Thanks, but I think the job's not for me."

True good sir, true!
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #10 - November 02, 2014, 12:26 PM

I don't understand why the previous one 'resigned' - has there been any more light shed on why?

He resigned because he knew he was deeply unpopular, and having him as Pope wasn't doing the Catholic Church any good. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #11 - November 02, 2014, 12:38 PM

I think I read there were rumours about some huge irregularities within the Vatican Bank system that risked blowing up in his face.

To avoid that he left and a populist pope was inserted instead - some speculating he would only be an intermediary - to get the public sympathy while they fixed what should be fixed covered by his popularity.

However that is of course just one theory.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #12 - November 08, 2014, 12:33 AM

I never have believed in god in any real sense but, since I was educated in Roman Catholic schools, (3 - from mid 60's to late 70's) I feel I should defend them a little. Firstly, it's Protestants, more than Catholics, that believe the in-errancy of the bible. Catholics generally recognise the historical and scientific errors, at least. For Catholics authority comes from the bible, the catechism, from the apostles and their successors (bishops), the authority of the pope, the tradition of the church. Very few Catholics would punctuate a conversation with "but the bible says". Evolution, archaeology, physics are not incompatible with Catholic tradition. I, for example, was taught 'A' Level Biology by a monk. The new pope isn't suddenly out of step with what went before.

It would be better if they changed their minds about contraception and sexuality though.

There is some discussion in that direction: http://www.jamesalison.co.uk/texts/eng15.html for example.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #13 - November 17, 2014, 10:15 PM

Well if Catholics can disavow the bible when it suits them, they don't have very much left.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #14 - November 17, 2014, 10:25 PM

The Pope recently came out against Dying with Dignity movements. I'm very dissapointed

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #15 - November 18, 2014, 01:55 AM

Well if Catholics can disavow the bible when it suits them, they don't have very much left.

Catholics have never been Biblical literalists, there's nothing new in that. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #16 - November 18, 2014, 09:13 PM

Yes, which was my point, if they are not getting their info about god from the babble, than where are they getting it from? They have no other source.

I could then say "well when the bible says god exists, it doesn't mean LITERALLY exists, just "metaphorically" exists" 001_tongue

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #17 - November 18, 2014, 10:44 PM

They do get their info about God from the Bible, they just don't read it as literal unlike some Protestant denominations.  Its entirely possible to base a religion round the Bible without turning into Ian Paisley or Fred Phelps, and still have that religion be internally consistent. 

• Pope Francis
     Reply #18 - November 18, 2014, 11:19 PM

"Religion" & "internally consistant" together has to be an oxymoron or something.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #19 - November 18, 2014, 11:26 PM

I think that there are some parts in the Bible that were never intended to be taken literally like the poetry in Psalms or the Song of Solomon. It is when you deny the existences of people like Adam who the Bible said lived to an exact age before he died and is listed to have descendants that play important roles in the history of Israel that you begin overstepping your bounds with the metaphorical interpretation card. At that point you might as well start denying a literal resurrection or afterlife.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #20 - November 18, 2014, 11:32 PM

No. At that point you become a church of England vicar.
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #21 - November 19, 2014, 12:13 AM

Or a Catholic priest.  There's really not much difference in the dogma of the RC and CofE churches, they only separated because some randy old king wanted a divorce.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #22 - November 19, 2014, 01:00 AM

the Anglican church is pretty benign as religion these days

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #23 - November 19, 2014, 01:02 AM

So is the Catholic church in any western democracy - all religions are benign when they're kept in their box by secularism.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #24 - November 19, 2014, 01:21 AM

Yeah, true. But the Anglicans do especially seem very much like the 'Guardian' newspaper of churches

God is Love.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #25 - November 19, 2014, 01:44 AM

They do seem that way.  The Catholics are more like the Telegraph.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #26 - November 19, 2014, 02:08 AM

ha, yeah exactly!

God is Love.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #27 - November 20, 2014, 12:37 AM

Who's getting the Daily Mail? Presbyterians?
  • Pope Francis
     Reply #28 - November 20, 2014, 12:40 AM

that's the American evangelist nutters

God is Love.

• Pope Francis
     Reply #29 - November 20, 2014, 01:10 AM

Who's getting the Daily Mail? Presbyterians?

Presbyterians would be the Mirror.  The Mail would be that section of Anglicans which hate women priests and would love to go and join the Catholics only for Catholicism is all a bit, you know.....foreign. 

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »