Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My Weird Story— Confessions of an Ex-Fake Muslim

(Read 10484 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My Weird Story— Confessions of an Ex-Fake Muslim
     OP - October 31, 2014, 07:40 AM

Hello all. I know this forum is mostly for ex-Muslims, but I am a white guy who has never believed in Islam, so why would I want to post here? My apologies for the length of this intro, I could not figure out what to cut.

My true story is pretty long and complex, but it suffices to give a few background details and the meat of the story. I was an atheist during my high school years but very interested in religion, I spent a lot of time debating Christians on internet forums like this.  When I went to the uni (instead of joining the US Army, as I had wanted to do but was talked out of by my parents) I decided to study Arabic. Although a confirmed atheist in high school my increasing contacts with spiritual and religious people at college changed my mind, and I took the plunge and officially entered the Catholic Church. I became very pious, I never made love to a girl, not even my girlfriend, in college, fasted from meat on Fridays, went to church on Fridays and Sundays, prayed religiously, and fasted during Lent.

I got a scholarship in my 3rd year to study Arabic in the Sultanate of Oman. To my surprise when I got there I found that at least half the people living in the capital, Muscat, were not Arab at all. Although initially a little chagrined I made close friends with many Indians and Pakistanis and became very interested in their culture.

The following year back in the States I applied for the same scholarship to study Urdu in India and I got it. This is where my story really begins. Though I had had no formal classes in Hindi/Urdu, I picked it up quickly. I tried to spend more time with Indian friends than fellow American students, a strategy I picked up in Oman.

One day I was with an Indian friend I had made whilst visiting the Taj Mahall and we ran into a park to get out of the monsoon rain. Thereafter he started showing his new white friend off to all the people in the park, a good opportunity for me to practice speaking which I took, when he introduced me to a girl. Her last name was Khan and she was a Muslim. She told me that she was an English teacher and wanted to practice English with me in return for help with Hindi/Urdu and gave me her number. Over the next few weeks a spent a lot of time with her. She had a Hindu friend named Ritesh who buzzed around her like a fly, I thought at first he was her boyfriend. Eventually though as she spent more and more time with me, I realized she had feelings for me. I was in the middle of a deep culture shock (not to mention a terrible fever) from the very weird ways I was getting treated by Indian people (who seemed to have a creepy obsession with the color of my skin) and feeling really alone a dejected. Eventually on the advice of another Indian friend I “proposed” to her and told her that I loved her. She said she felt the same. But of course, I would have to convert to Islam. I knew this was coming, and after a lot of back and forth I told her it was not possible, I was a Christian who believed in the divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ and I did not believe Muhammad to be a prophet. I would never change, and we should just stop talking then and there. I remember distinctly telling this to her in the same park we met, getting up, and walking off to get a rickshaw. Halfway home she begged me to stop, met me at the local church, and prayed with me for a solution. She told me she loved me so much and could not live without me. I felt like I could not break her heart. I left India but promised to find a way to be with her and stay in touch.

About 4 months later I asked her mother if I could marry her. I felt this was crazy fast but she convinced me there was no other way. After months of trying to get me to convert to Islam (a difficult task for her, since I knew as much if not more about Islam than her and she knew next to nothing of Catholicism save for some of the crude Islamic stereotypes of Christianity) she gave up and asked me to lie to her parents about converting to Islam. I fought hard against the idea, but when it seemed like the only alternative was leaving her and breaking her heart I gave in. I had wanted to go to grad school for Arabic, but as I found out immigration to the US even for spouses and fiances of US citizens is a cruel and expensive process. I started working shitty jobs and trying to find a way, anyway, for us to be together. It became my whole life. I took all the money I had made plus my gifts from graduating college and used it to be a plane ticket back for our engagement, which would be copiously photographed for US immigration proof.

That was when Ritesh, the creepy Hindu guy from before, dropped a bombshell on me. He told me that he was screwing her, and had been doing so for several years. Since I had come back he had talked to me all the time, trying to keep tabs on me and Samar, in an extraordinarily creepy way. Now it all made sense. I confronted my fiancée, and she claimed it was true but that she had been raped and subsequently blackmailed into doing it more. When I asked why she had not told me this was going on after we met, she said she was afraid I would leave her if she was not a virgin. Every bone in my body wanted to leave her then, but I did not; I felt too much pity for her.

Instead, against the advice of all my friends and family, I traveled to India and for 30 days faced the Islamic interrogation of her parents as I pretended to be a Muslim. Since I knew Arabic already memorizing the Quranic aayaat was not hard for me, I could say them better than most of her family, although the sickening bowing to Mecca of sujuud stirred in me deep revulsion of all things Islamic. Although I had always tried to take a humanistic and tolerant view of Islam I began to hate it in my heart. Her father took me to meet 'ulamaa, with whom I conversed freely in Arabic, I remember one who interrogated me switched back to Urdu mid-stream because I spoke better Arabic than he did. They were all satisfied with my knowledge of Islam, and I knew all the right things to say. I fooled her parents, good and decent people, right and proper. At the same time my faith in God began to wane; I half expected to be struck down for denying the Lord Jesus Christ where I stood, but when this did not happen I began to doubt.

I went back to the US and prepared for our wedding. We would need a lot of money for the wedding and I had to make over 125% of the US poverty level for 2 people to sponsor her visa, so restaurants wouldn't cut it anymore. I first went to work for the Obama campaign and then got into my father’s line of work, telecom, which I had never been interested in. I found a good job near DC and moved to work it. I saved up everything I could for the tickets, gifts, and expenses for the wedding. In 2013 I went back and once again feigned practice of Islam. Our wedding was particularly unhappy, due to a lot of reasons we spent the first night in the same building as her family lived, I remember how much grief her moms family gave us for this. Since the Islamic nikaah was a sham we wanted something more solid and tried to get a court marriage from the Indian government. The local official, probably a Hindu nationalist, took a disliking to us and made it extremely difficult, even with bribes; I ended up staying 2 months instead of one to get the damn thing done. Then I returned.

Some of you may know, it’s no easy matter to get a foreign spouse into the US; it takes over a year, and it’s gotten worse since Obama’s recent pro-illegal immigrant policies have taken effect. Separated once again, and completely unsure of when we would get our interview, I sank into a deep depression. Any hint of my doubting or at all regretting any part of our relationship was met with hysterical antics from my wife, so I avoided the subject with her until it got so bad I told her I was thinking about divorce (though I told her in the same email that I wanted to work on my issues and avoid that at all costs). Her response was hysterical, she told me she wanted to kill herself and went to the hospital due to a panic attack. I apologized and begged forgiveness. I got over it.

Eventually after I saved up some more money she moved out of her place of residence in Northern India to Mumbai, where the US consulate is known to hand out less “Administrative Processing” than the one in Delhi. Despite repeated promises to get a job so she could help pay her rent, etc. it was Ramadan and since she had not fasted for the last 2 years she told me she wanted to start now (?).

That’s when she started getting more religious. I had bought her a Google Chrome book as a present for our wedding, and she started reading the Quran and learning new aayaat and prayers online during Ramadan. During her virtual 'umrah she somehow discovered (as though this were a fucking surprise) that Muslim women who had sex with or married kaafir men were committing a sin, and even, horror of horrors, were the equivalent of whores and prostitutes. She informed me of this one month after she had moved to Mumbai, near the end of Ramadan this year. I was heartbroken, but I figured she was just having a little depression like I was. I talked her out of it.

Over the next month, though, she grew more and more distant from me. She stopped wanting to talk on Skype and Google Chat. She eventually started telling me she wanted to live alone and did not want to be married to me (again). After weeks of this I told her to give me a final answer, and I gave her a week to think it over during which I would leave her alone. At the end of it she told me she no longer loved me. I cried and begged and pleaded with her, but she was like stone, she said I was an infidel and it would be better for both of us to end it now. Heart broken, I accepted. Three days later, she called me up, drunk on 10 sleeping pills she had taken in a weak suicide bid, and begged me to come back. I refused. Two weeks later she sent me an ultimatum, saying that if I did not come back she would definitely kill herself and it would be my fault. For those of you who speak Urdu, to quote her email to me “agar main zinda bachi to meri barbaad zindgi ke liye main zimmedaar rahungi aur agar main mar gayi to meri maut ke liye tum zimmedaar rahoge. tumne mujhse sabkuch chheen liya kyunki tumhi mera sab kuch ho.” (“If I remain alive then I will be responsible for my ruined life and if I die then you will be (stay) responsible for my death. You have torn everything away from me because you are my everything.”). I broke down and went back to her for 1 day, before coming to my senses and changing all of my online aliases and my phone numbers. I am in the middle of getting a divorce decree now.

So that’s my book, sorry for the length. I was never really a Muslim but the Islamic faith has had a profound (negative) impact on my life. I actually now want to get out of IT and try to go back to academia, I am highly interested in Islamic origins, and my undergrad background of not only Arabic but also Hebrew, Syriac, and Ge’ez will help me in this regards I believe. I am not sure if I am still a Christian; I want to believe in Christ, I love the message of the Gospels, I am traditionally minded, but I feel that I may be becoming an atheist, which I suppose would put me in good company here. Hope to have many fruitful discussions with you guys here. Cheers.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
  • My Weird Story? Confessions of an Ex-Fake Muslim
     Reply #1 - October 31, 2014, 08:08 AM

Welcome in Countjulien!

Ooo, it rhymes!

parrot

Interesting but sad story you have there. Don't know what to say.
     Reply #2 - October 31, 2014, 08:20 AM

jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
    What. The. Actual. Fuck?  Shocked

That is some crazy and brutal shit right there! mysmilie_977

Glad you found us. Your eloquent writing and your academic skills will certainly be treasured around here.

So sorry you have had to go through all this. Have a comforting welcome parrot parrot

far away hug

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #3 - October 31, 2014, 09:44 AM

Welcome to the forum  parrot a very interesting story indeed. I hope you will like it here!

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #4 - October 31, 2014, 10:28 AM

Thats so much struggle and suffering you've been through!
    I welcome you  parrot and wish you all the good  in the world. I hope you find the rest you deserve.

Take care.

For god and money devils fight
    Religion holds a beast inside

Racoon
     Reply #5 - October 31, 2014, 12:31 PM

Thanks for sharing your story, Julian.  I'm sorry to hear how difficult it was for you lately, but it sounds like it's for the best that you two aren't together anymore from what you've said. It seems like there were a lot of issues to work out from the start.

By the way, although I feel for her, good for you for not giving into her threats. I've had more than one man do that to me before, threatening or hinting at suicide should I leave them (in the end, they all survived, by the way). I'm quick to get anxious and feel guilty as it is, so let's just say you and I took different paths, and I wish I had had the nerve to end things there the way you did.

I think you've made the best decision for yourself, and I hope you have smoother sailing from now on. Welcome!
     Reply #6 - October 31, 2014, 04:19 PM

Fuck Bollywood. Welcome to real life. And I thought my stories were crazy. It does get better bro.

Oh...and...welcome home...back to where you belong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZL3UgncfJc

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #7 - October 31, 2014, 11:03 PM

Is that for me becoming an atheist, Jedi? lol.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #8 - October 31, 2014, 11:37 PM

That's quite a story, countjulian - thanks for sharing.

And of course welcome  Smiley
     Reply #9 - November 01, 2014, 12:22 AM

Welcome !

It is rather sad indeed, even incredible, your journey, I believe that womens (and especially muslims) will remain a mystery.

I profoundly fell in love with a Lebanese girl (for eight months). Our conversations, our sharings, the blissful days together made that we were very close. We were talking regularly about very deep things. But that was always complicated for her to live with an unbeliever (a humanist who no longer believed in the truthfulness of the Islam). More the time passed and more the pressure of the religion made me suffer. More I had the impression to not live, to miss out life. That was harsh. Our conversations were complicated. Then I have endeavoured to overcome our differences but in vain, unfortunately.

A relationship built in part on the lie and the hypocrisy is not love, I sincerely think that you made the good decision. I wish you the best with all my heart.
     Reply #10 - November 01, 2014, 12:33 AM

Welcome dude. I can see already that I will come to love you if you hang around for long enough.

I agree with everything lua said to you. I wanted to say that to you in my own way, but I'm not sure it's worth it. What I will say is that I can emphasise slightly because I am married and struggling with a Muslim girl. I have a feeling that if I had balls, I wouldn't be in the escalating mess I'm in. But I'm glad for you that you had the balls to get out when you did.

Take care, I will l look out for your posts.

Hi
     Reply #11 - November 01, 2014, 12:44 AM

Of course it would be worth it to write it in your own way! Julian, you'll learn that musivore's posts are brilliant and witty, but he'll sell himself short.  yes
     Reply #12 - November 01, 2014, 03:48 AM

Welcome Count Julian, Smiley
    As an unbelieving white guy who wandered into a weird story of their own I can relate to much of what you say. When I read 'Her last name was Khan' alarm bells immediately rang and I suspected we were in for a walk on the wild side.
    Anyway hope you stick around and I look forward to reading more from you,  I think you'll like it here,  it sounds like you already fit in.
     parrot bunny
     Reply #13 - November 01, 2014, 05:19 AM

Welcome dude. I can see already that I will come to love you if you hang around for long enough.

I agree with everything lua said to you. I wanted to say that to you in my own way, but I'm not sure it's worth it. What I will say is that I can emphasise slightly because I am married and struggling with a Muslim girl. I have a feeling that if I had balls, I wouldn't be in the escalating mess I'm in. But I'm glad for you that you had the balls to get out when you did.

I would actually love to hear what you have to say musivore Smiley

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #14 - November 01, 2014, 08:04 AM

I also agree with Musivore here. My bf is an ex-Muslim but isn't out to his parents, I flat out refused to convert for ease of life as it wouldn't be standing by my principles of freedom to love how you want if it harms nobody. This means that acceptance is probably either not going to happen the ideal way or it means that it will take years; already been 6; but I will stand by that. I will also stand up for having a secular household when it comes to that, with freedom to believe in whatever religion or political ideology they want for any children there may be. No circumcision either! Eventually my bf will have to come out, but at the moment we ain't pushing the boat too far, hopefully it won't capsize then!
     Reply #15 - November 01, 2014, 08:15 PM

Welcome countjulian, it sounds like you got caught up in something that most people would struggle to make sense of. Pity is not a good reason to stay with a partner though, especially one who emotionally blackmails you. Well done for walking away with your sanity  Smiley
     Reply #16 - November 01, 2014, 11:24 PM

You’re too kind lua, as always.  And it seems you are also, Mr Countjulian.

I’ve pretty much said what I had to say already, so anything else is just going to be superfluous overkill.  But I was born surplus to requirements, so I‘ll remain true to my nature and continue regardless… You were lucky, IMO, to get out when you did for two main reasons that I have had personal experience in:

I’ve been out with a very similar person to your ex. She was of Indian descent, coincidentally. It was the most emotional, loving, painful, blissful, draining, exhilarating relationship I have ever been in. There were other guys involved. To what extent, I was always left guessing and agonising over. What was obvious was that these guys loved her also, and she was comfortable in keeping them in her life.  There was so much constant drama and melodrama involved. There was also the emotional blackmail you describe. I tried to break free from the intensity of it all, because it was completely and utterly consuming, and I was slowly sinking as a person after every trough.  However, I was pulled back to her and by her each time, by the duty of care I felt for her, by the intense highs that I knew I was going to miss, and possibly by love also.  Eventually, I did break away. I completely broke her heart in the process, as well as my own. But I had to do it. And I am so, so glad I did, because I worry so much for the person in me that stayed with her in a parallel universe somewhere.

Secondly, as I mentioned earlier, I am currently married to a Muslim. I still honestly believe that religion, even if that is Islam, does not necessarily have to be an insurmountable barrier to a loving, lasting relationship. However, for me it has proven to be an epic barrier. I’ve had to lie and cheat and mortgage and remortgage my soul to the devil a thousand times over, just to keep my marriage hanging by a thread.  But still, I hang on to that thread with all of my depleted might.  And forgive me for being presumptuous on this, but I think my wife was cooler about the whole irreligion thing than yours was at the point of marriage. That did not bode well for you. My wife has definitely got less tolerant as time has gone on, and it seems yours had a similar propensity, but with a starting point that was already in advance of where I started. I fear that you really would have struggled, and you did well to get out before children came into the equation. Because once they do there is a whole lot more at stake, and a whole new reason to try and try, regardless of how fucked up things get.

You have a good chance now of making a good and happy life for yourself. As sad and as difficult as it was, if you hadn’t walked away, I fear your chances of happiness would have been significantly less.

Hi
     Reply #17 - November 01, 2014, 11:25 PM

I also agree with Musivore here. My bf is an ex-Muslim but isn't out to his parents, I flat out refused to convert for ease of life as it wouldn't be standing by my principles of freedom to love how you want if it harms nobody. This means that acceptance is probably either not going to happen the ideal way or it means that it will take years; already been 6; but I will stand by that. I will also stand up for having a secular household when it comes to that, with freedom to believe in whatever religion or political ideology they want for any children there may be. No circumcision either! Eventually my bf will have to come out, but at the moment we ain't pushing the boat too far, hopefully it won't capsize then!

I'm glad you call the shots Lily Smiley

Is it always the females who call the shots?

Hi
     Reply #18 - November 02, 2014, 02:05 AM

It does appear that way from where I'm typing.
     Reply #19 - November 02, 2014, 02:59 AM

Welcome! parrot
    My empathy and sympathy has gotten me into a heap of trouble as well. With Khans, and others. I hope you get some time to yourself for a while. Sounds like you could use some quiet...

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #20 - November 02, 2014, 11:45 AM

Welcome to the forum, Countjulian, and thank you for sharing your sad but fascinating story with us.  Hope the divorce proceedings don't take anymore time (or money)

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #21 - November 03, 2014, 12:02 AM

As far as the shame conversion goes I also share in common with you the sad fact that although your wife new it to be just that her own religiosity or religious expectations grew.
    Strangely in the case of my own wife she seemed to forget the 'sham' part of the conversion and as the years went by when I even attempted to broach the subject she caimed if I had differing views it would (despite also doing a civil ceremony) void our marriage. It also appears that Mus has had similar experiences of this and to compound matters further there's children involved.
    Putting aside the heartbreak and torment for the moment, given the level of physcotic emotional blackmail and deceit you went through,  you were lucky to get out when you did.
     Reply #22 - November 03, 2014, 12:22 AM

euhhhhhhh what's that with Khan? Huh? My bf was a Khan too!

Racoon
     Reply #23 - November 03, 2014, 12:25 AM

I know a few Khans actually.

Only Ex-Muslims though Cheesy

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #24 - November 03, 2014, 12:29 AM

So it's possible Wink But not for the Khan i know!
    Sleep well!

Racoon
     Reply #25 - November 03, 2014, 12:40 AM

Same dear doubts132 far away hug

Reply #26 - November 03, 2014, 01:26 AM

As far as the shame conversion goes I also share in common with you the sad fact that although your wife new it to be just that her own religiosity or religious expectations grew.
    Strangely in the case of my own wife she seemed to forget the 'sham' part of the conversion and as the years went by when I even attempted to broach the subject she caimed if I had differing views it would (despite also doing a civil ceremony) void our marriage. It also appears that Mus has had similar experiences of this and to compound matters further there's children involved.
    Putting aside the heartbreak and torment for the moment, given the level of physcotic emotional blackmail and deceit you went through,  you were lucky to get out when you did.

I really appreciate all the support. Not just from Thomas, but from everybody. I am sure this is obvious, but I agonized over this decision. Being divorced is so hard for me :( Just thinking about it makes me want to break down. Even more than in Christianity, I was a believer in true love (which I did and still do see as being the essence of Christ's teachings). I thought that I would NEVER, under any circumstances, get divorced. My whole world view was shattered the night she broke my heart. I wanted to kill myself, I thought a lot about it and looked into ways to do it. I called the suicide hotline here in the US a lot. I am over it now but I feel myself akin to the lost generation after WWI in Europe--all of my ideals are gone, I am in a desolated wasteland and I am still trying to figure out what's left to live for.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #27 - November 03, 2014, 09:26 AM

Yes being divorced is hard when you believe in true love. But its even harder to be in a relationship were you can't be yourself. True love is understanding, listening,  being willing to make compromises and accepting eachother for who you are. And when your such a caring person, you would be so unhappy in a marriage were you can't reach the person you love. You must think about that too. I'v been there. I thought we could handle everything because of the love.  But it's not gonna work when someone loves Allah more than he loves you.

And that gives pain, cause it sweps away everything you stand for. But there comes a time when you can look back at it with less hurt. You stayed true to yourself, despite all the hurt and the pain. Better times will come for you. Im sure. Even when you can't see it right now.

Take care.
     far away hug

Racoon
     Reply #28 - November 04, 2014, 02:28 AM

Welcome. I am also Catholic. I'm here because my best friend is Muslim and I felt it was a good place to be. That and by some miracle or quirk of luck, I ran into an old friend here.

Feel free to PM me.
     Reply #29 - November 04, 2014, 05:19 AM

Welcome bro. That was one hell of a story Wow.
     I don't discriminate when it comes to dating and romance, I respect who am with and I respect their believes even If I  think they are stupid or harmful.  Sometimes at a party a bar,  at work party or even Eid parties...........  I will meet a hot Muslim girl that am attracted to and if the feeling is mutual I just go for it and turn into a drunk Shike 3dnan Ibrahim or a liberal Muslim. Basically I invent my own Islam(by cherry picking) , some folks my hate me for lying , but how else should I use all the non sense they cramped into my head as a kid growing up in Saudi Arabia? Back in my early 20's I once told my Muslim girlfriend at the time that her  boyfriend is not just another whiskey drinking, weed puffing , sex loving liberal Muslim, then I gently proceeded to inform her that am actually an atheist. She was born and raised in the states so I thought I got a chance to convince her or at least she will respect my thoughts and believes.  Man was I wrong she freaked out and  responded by cutting me off her life  till I made Tawbah to Allah. I really liked her and our relationship was great and I didnt want to loose my sweet loving girl So I made a lil Tawbah and the make up sex was amazing. I hate to generalize but Muslims tend to be lil  schizophrenic they might act like a normal 21st century human being and without any prior warning they might behead you because you made fun of Allah or have cartoon of Mohamed posted in your room. When it comes to causal dating  sometimes its better to lie have lil fun then go back home instead of telling the truth  and ending up risking your fun or even worse getting stuck with a crazy Muslim girl  Muslimah and her Family  sheikh.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »