Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Christian Bale: Moses was 'barbaric' and 'schizophrenic'

(Read 7667 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Christian Bale: Moses was 'barbaric' and 'schizophrenic'
     OP - October 30, 2014, 10:47 AM

This is what happens when people actually read the scripture:

Christian Bale: Moses was 'barbaric' and 'schizophrenic'

Catherine Shoard
    theguardian.com, Monday 27 October 2014 12.26 GMT

Christian Bale has caused concern amongst some Christian writers with his remarks about Moses, the Biblical figure he plays in Ridley Scott’s forthcoming Exodus: Of Gods and Kings.

“I think the man was likely schizophrenic and was one of the most barbaric individuals that I ever read about in my life,” Bale said at a press conference in Los Angeles.

The actor said he wasn’t knowledgeable about the Bible before taking on the role, but had undertaken significant research, including also reading the Torah, the Koran and Jonathan Kirsch’s life of Moses. Bale said he was surprised by the complexity of the figure – and his creator.

“He was a very troubled, tumultuous man and mercurial. But the biggest surprise was the nature of God. He was equally very mercurial.”

Bale’s comments have been received with scepticism by an online Christian community which had expressed the hope that Scott’s spectacular would be closer to the text than Darren Aronofsky’s Noah, released earlier this year.

Christianity Today appeared to resign itself to a secular treatment, reporting that “[w]hen asked about parallels between Exodus and the recent rise of political tension in the Middle East, Ridley Scott told reporters, ‘People can do that if they want to be really negative or just sit down and enjoy the fucking movie. It’s a movie!’”

But – as the Hollywood Reporter points out – Peter Chattaway at Patheos.com is troubled by the very idea Bale “speculates about what was going on inside Moses’ head”. Meanwhile, Faith Driven Consumer has commissioned a poll which appears to show that 74% of Americans would be likely to see the film if it was biblically accurate, but 68% would be unlikely to watch it were it inaccurate.

Chattaway echoes the disquiet of other bloggers over Scott’s treatment of the central seismic event in the film; the director shows the Red Sea parting on account of an earthquake, rather than divine intervention.

“You can’t just do a giant parting, with walls of water trembling while people ride between them,” said Scott, who said he failed to believe the sight when as a child he watched 1956’s The Ten Commandments. “I remember that feeling, and thought that I’d better come up with a more scientific or natural explanation.”

Exodus opens worldwide in December

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #1 - October 30, 2014, 12:09 PM

Apparently he did not do enough research, since the vast scholarly consensus is that he never existed in the first place.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #2 - October 30, 2014, 12:14 PM

That would probably have made the plot pretty shitty, though Tongue

Countjulian, you are new here! dance

How about writing a short introduction in the Introductions board? Smiley

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #3 - October 30, 2014, 12:53 PM

Cheesy this is hilarious
     Reply #4 - October 30, 2014, 01:45 PM

Apparently he did not do enough research, since the vast scholarly consensus is that he never existed in the first place.

Well I question the existence of Muhammad and Jesus now countjulian adds another figure head to that list ..The Moses..

Hell countjulian... I guess that is your first post., Never read you in CEMB so greetings and my good wishes to you.. So any links., any books of your point that Moses never existed in the first place. ??

well on that note that Ann K Dick abridged wok of  THE PONTIUS PILATE REPORT is interesting to read

THE GOD VIRUS : THE PONTIUS PILATE REPORT

There are pdf files of that book on web

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #5 - October 31, 2014, 12:20 AM

That would probably have made the plot pretty shitty, though Tongue

Countjulian, you are new here! dance

How about writing a short introduction in the Introductions board? Smiley

I've actually got it written but it's way too long to post, I need to edit it down. Will do so after Halloween here in the States.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #6 - October 31, 2014, 12:52 AM

Splendid, countjulian. Looking forward to it Smiley

Reply #7 - October 31, 2014, 04:05 AM

i've heard people say that moses was really Akhenaten but who knows.. ??   besides the stories of an infant prophet being saved in a basket is a an ancient pagan fable.

can't wait to see this film though : )
     Reply #8 - October 31, 2014, 04:14 AM

I've actually got it written but it's way too long to post, I need to edit it down. Will do so after Halloween here in the States.

Yay, another American! Greetings from New England, and Happy Halloween!  dance
     Reply #9 - October 31, 2014, 07:27 AM

امريكي واحكي عربي تشرفنا Smiley

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #10 - October 31, 2014, 07:50 AM

Well I question the existence of Muhammad and Jesus now countjulian adds another figure head to that list ..The Moses..

Hell countjulian... I guess that is your first post., Never read you in CEMB so greetings and my good wishes to you.. So any links., any books of your point that Moses never existed in the first place. ??

well on that note that Ann K Dick abridged wok of  THE PONTIUS PILATE REPORT is interesting to read

THE GOD VIRUS : THE PONTIUS PILATE REPORT

There are pdf files of that book on web

http://www.amazon.com/Wrote-Bible-Richard-Elliott-Friedman/dp/0060630353/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DFG3J15G642SRJ9X4KA

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0684869136/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=O7X99PYF8DFB&coliid=I2QB00K7MKHEMB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802844162/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=O7X99PYF8DFB&coliid=IR7ONX3QRT8YH

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #11 - October 31, 2014, 08:15 AM

well countjulian.. good..good..good..,  .,  I am not going to buy those books.,  but I will read around them.,   Hmm there is  Finkelstein in one of those books.. Juice hating Juice..

So I am actually looking for references and books of those who conceived the idea of that there was no Moses in historical work of  earlier times.  We know Moses came out of the books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy and many of the   20th century historians date these   books to the Persian period, sometime between 500 to 300 BCE.  So it would be nice to read such words as "Moses Myth"    for e.g from early Greek/Roman Historians or ear;y Persian Historians..

Anyways please continue exploring  and adding new information  on the subject..   So what is up with this "I love history but am not a Nazi " slogan under your nick... Anything special??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #12 - October 31, 2014, 12:17 PM

امريكي واحكي عربي تشرفنا Smiley

Oh, no, my Arabic is so spotty and terrible that I keep it to myself for the most part, unless it is a special occasion. Grin
     Reply #13 - October 31, 2014, 12:31 PM

unless it is a special occasion.

Like visiting the in laws  ?

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #14 - October 31, 2014, 02:10 PM

Easily my least favorite time to use Arabic.  Embarrassed
     Reply #15 - October 31, 2014, 02:22 PM

^
    btw lua what does your sig say ? 

lol. It's probably better not to speak in arabic at all if it's really terrible.  Tongue

One of the most cringe worthy things I've seen is white washed Pakistanis  try to carry on a conversation in urdu when they can't even string a sentence together.

Grin Grin

They end up speaking in sentences that are half english and half urdu. Like this :

" I  (urdu word for like) going to the mall to (urdu word for purchase) some clothes"

Reply #16 - October 31, 2014, 02:27 PM

^

lol. It's probably better not to speak in arabic at all if it's really terrible.  Tongue

One of the most cringe worthy things I've seen is white washed Pakistanis  try to carry on a conversation in urdu when they can't even string a sentence together.

Grin Grin

They end up speaking in sentences that are half english and half urdu. Like this :

" I  (urdu word for like) going to the mall to (urdu word for purchase) some clothes"

That is like my bf. He speaks English so much he has forgotten some of his Urdu. His mother speaks not great English so it ends up being like that. Some cases you can't help it though like when sorting out computer stuff, then it sounds like "lhflkesghlkghuhre uih start bar ;whrlhrlerht task manager lkhewlrkher"
     Reply #17 - October 31, 2014, 02:34 PM

^

Grin Grin

Cheesy Right, I just prefer to sound like I understand nothing at all than to try speaking most of the time. It'll get drawn out of me in arguments about Islam sometimes, though, depending on how heated it gets.

And someone else could probably be more accurate, but it says something like, "Oh citizen, poor you, in the name of religion they laughed at you." Sort of like they use the religion to trick you. It's from a picture of graffiti on a wall, I believe taken in Saudi Arabia. Hope the guy ran fast!
     Reply #18 - October 31, 2014, 02:53 PM

Right, I just prefer to sound like I understand nothing at all than to try speaking most of the time. It'll get drawn out of me in arguments about Islam sometimes, though, depending on how heated it gets.

Wow  mysmilie_977 

As if visiting inlaws wasn't stressful enough (from what I've heard) you actually get into heated debates with them.

Damn that sounds difficult.

Reply #19 - October 31, 2014, 02:55 PM

Oh, God no, I don't want to die. Cheesy

But with the husband and, in the past, some others, if I happen to know a phrase or verse from the Quran, I might bust it out in the heat of the moment. At best, it helps my argument, and, at worst, it lightens the mood and lets us laugh a little. Grin
     Reply #20 - October 31, 2014, 04:43 PM

So I am actually looking for references and books of those who conceived the idea of that there was no Moses in historical work of  earlier times.  We know Moses came out of the books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy and many of the   20th century historians date these   books to the Persian period, sometime between 500 to 300 BCE.  So it would be nice to read such words as "Moses Myth"

Yeez - it's probably not quite the book you're looking for but Shlomo Sand touches on this in passing in The Invention of the Jewish People (chapter 2, page 115 onwards)
    A similar search for a lineage from a great cultural center animated the story of the emergence from Egypt, the second significant myth to be shaken. The fragility of this story had been known for some time, but the centrality of the Exodus in the very definition of Jewish identity, not to mention the role of the Passover festival in its culture, made for a stubborn refusal to examine it. We have seen that Dubnow was uneasy about the Merneptah stela of the late thirteenth century BCE. Its pharaonic inscription declares that, among the various cities and tribes that had been subdued, Israel was destroyed "and has no more seed." This could have been pharaonic hyperbole, but it certainly suggests that there was some small cultural entity named Israel, among other small groups, in Egyptian-ruled Canaan.

In the thirteenth century BCE, the purported time of the Exodus, Canaan was ruled by the still-powerful pharaohs. This means that Moses led the freed slaves out of Egypt... to Egypt? According to the biblical narrative, the people he led through the wilderness for forty years included six hundred thousand warriors; they would have been traveling with their wives and children, implying a party of around three million in total. Aside from the fact that it was utterly impossible for a population of such size to wander through the desert for so long, an event of such magnitude should have left some epigraphic or archaeological traces. The ancient Egyptians kept meticulous records of every event, and there is a great deal of documentation about the kingdom's political and military life. There are even documents about incursions of nomadic groups into the realm. Yet there is not a single mention of any "Children of Israel" who lived in Egypt, or rebelled against it, or emigrated from it at any time. Pithom, mentioned in the biblical story, does in fact appear in an early external source, but it was built as an important city only at the end of the sixth century BCE. NO traces have been found in the Sinai desert of any significant movement of population through it during the said period, and the location of the famous biblical Mount Sinai has yet to be discovered. Etzion-Gever and Arad, mentioned in the story of the wanderings, did not exist in that period, and appear much later as permanent, flourishing settlements.

After forty years of wandering, the Children of Israel arrived in Canaan and took it by storm. Following the divine command, they annihilated most of the local population and forced the remainder to serve them as hewers of wood and drawers of water. After the conquest, the people that had been united under Moses split up into separate tribes (like the late Greek settlement in twelve city-states) and divided the territorial booty among them. This ruthless myth of settlement, described in the Book of Joshua in colorful detail as one of the earliest genocides, never actually happened. The famous conquest of Canaan was the next myth to fall apart in the skirmishes of the new archaeology.

For a long time the Zionist historians, followed by the Israeli archaeologists, ignored well-known findings. If at the time of the supposed Israelite conquest the country was ruled by Egypt, how was it that not a single Egyptian document mentioned this? Moreover, why does the Bible make no mention of the Egyptian presence in the country? Archaeological excavations in Gaza and Beth Shean had long revealed the Egyptian presence at the time of the supposed conquest and after, but the ancient national text was too precious to forswear, and so the scholars learned to muffle these feisty little facts with evasive and vague explanations.

Reply #21 - October 31, 2014, 05:06 PM

well countjulian.. good..good..good..,  .,  I am not going to buy those books.,  but I will read around them.,   Hmm there is  Finkelstein in one of those books.. Juice hating Juice..

So I am actually looking for references and books of those who conceived the idea of that there was no Moses in historical work of  earlier times.  We know Moses came out of the books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy and many of the   20th century historians date these   books to the Persian period, sometime between 500 to 300 BCE.  So it would be nice to read such words as "Moses Myth"    for e.g from early Greek/Roman Historians or ear;y Persian Historians..

Anyways please continue exploring  and adding new information  on the subject..   So what is up with this "I love history but am not a Nazi " slogan under your nick... Anything special??

Francesca Stavrakapolou is one such sceptic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5EqPxGIH_w

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #22 - October 31, 2014, 05:09 PM

Francesca Stavrakapolou is one such sceptic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5EqPxGIH_w

I like her. She is a very intelligent woman with the patience of a saint (hehe!), she has an air of authority about her which makes people listen as well which is awesome!
     Reply #23 - October 31, 2014, 10:41 PM

My pic is of two German soldiers fighting in Russia during Operation Barbarossa in 1941. I just want to be clear that my interest in WWII and the NS Regime in Germany (and thus the pic) is purely historical, and that I in no way, shape, or form condone or justify the crimes of National Socialism against humanity (quite the opposite actually).

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Reply #24 - November 01, 2014, 12:34 AM

countjulian, you will get used to yeezevee. His is a legend. And a self-identified Zebra Smiley He is a legend around here.

(And I didn't actually notice it until he wrote that. Also you could show some Soviet partisan girls there instead Tongue Or from the Spanish revolution or Kobani)

Reply #25 - November 01, 2014, 03:19 PM

Christian Bale isn't Christian?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »