Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Bad hijab’ linked to acid attacks on Iranian women says news

(Read 3202 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Bad hijab’ linked to acid attacks on Iranian women says news
     OP - October 30, 2014, 09:22 AM

Bad hijab’ linked to acid attacks on Iranian women says news

The violence led to chatter on social networks that there had been up to 13 acid attacks against women drivers. A series of acid attacks on women in the historic Iranian city of Isfahan has raised fears and prompted rumors that the victims were targeted for not being properly veiled.

Police have declined to comment on a motive but suspects have been arrested and an investigation is ongoing, General Hossein Ashtari was quoted as saying by the official IRNA news agency.

He said four acid attacks had been reported in Isfahan, 450 kilometers south of Tehran, but he gave no other details.  The violence led to chatter on social networks that there had been up to 13 acid attacks against women drivers who were “badly veiled” with accompanying warnings against leaving car windows open.

Such incidents have risen in recent years in Pakistan, Afghanistan and India, with the abusers claiming they punished women for “sullying” their family “honor” by committing “indecent” behavior. Under Islamic law in force in Iran since the 1979 revolution, women must wear loose clothing, known as hijab, that covers the head and neck.

Recent years, however, have seen many wear a thin veil that hardly covers the hair and tight clothing or coats reaching mid-thigh - an ensemble often denounced by conservatives as “bad hijab” - instead of a traditional chador that covers the whole body.

A senior cleric of Isfahan, considered Iran's top tourist attraction for its carpets, ancient mosques and giant square - second only in size to Tiananmen Square in Beijing - condemned the attacks.

“Such an act under any pretext is reprehensible,” Hojatoleslam Mohammad Taghi Rahbar, a Friday prayers leader, told the ISNA news agency. “Even if a woman goes out into the street in the worst way, no one has the right to do such a thing,” he said.

A fearful resident of the city was quoted by ISNA as saying: “I roll the windows closed and I panic every time I hear the sound of a motorcycle approaching.”

Iranian MPs have written to President Hassan Rowhani in recent months to demand that police better enforce wearing of the veil.

very thoughtful BABOONS in Iranian Parliament .,   Well... yes.. Veil is better than Hijab  if it comes to choosing  face versus BURNED FACE ..

I didn't know there are  good hijabs and bad hijabs..   PATHETIC BRUTAL ROGUES with religious mind set..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Bad hijab? linked to acid attacks on Iranian women says news
     Reply #1 - October 30, 2014, 10:09 AM

There has been week-long protests in Istafan against the acid attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5M-dvyEshs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w7u5Bv3anw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1_DNCYjC8o

Protest in Teheran:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1_DNCYjC8o

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #2 - October 30, 2014, 01:53 PM

Somayeh Mehri (29) and her daughter Rana Afghanipour (3) give each other a kiss

I don't know what to say.. I don't know what to write.........

Somayeh Mehri (29) and Rana Afghanipour (3) are a mother and daughter living in Bam, southern Iran. They were attacked with acid by Somayeh’s husband Amir.  Somayeh had frequently been beaten and locked up by her husband, and finally found the courage to ask for a divorce.

Amir warned her that if she persisted in her attempts to leave him, she would not live out life with the face she had. One night in June 2011, he poured acid on Somayeh and Rana as they slept. Somayeh’s and Rana’s faces, hands, and, in places, their bodies were severely burned. Somayeh was blinded, and Rana lost one of her eyes.

Somayeh Mehri (29) walks with her daughter Rana Afghanipour (3) and another daughter, Nazanin, at Somayeh’s father’s house, the only place she feels calm after an acid attack eighteen months previously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1DebORZAs

That above documentary  is " Saving Face"   2012, Academy and Emmy winning, documentary film directed by Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy and Daniel Junge about acid attacks on women in Pakistan. The film won the 2012 Academy Award for Best Documentary (Short Subject), making its director, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, Pakistan's first Oscar winner.

Reply #3 - October 30, 2014, 02:30 PM

Somayeh Mehri (29) and Rana Afghanipour (3) are a mother and daughter living in Bam, southern Iran. They were attacked with acid by Somayeh?s husband Amir.  Somayeh had frequently been beaten and locked up by her husband, and finally found the courage to ask for a divorce.

Amir warned her that if she persisted in her attempts to leave him, she would not live out life with the face she had. One night in June 2011, he poured acid on Somayeh and Rana as they slept. Somayeh?s and Rana?s faces, hands, and, in places, their bodies were severely burned. Somayeh was blinded, and Rana lost one of her eyes.

Somayeh Mehri (29) walks with her daughter Rana Afghanipour (3) and another daughter, Nazanin, at Somayeh?s father?s house, the only place she feels calm after an acid attack eighteen months previously.

That above documentary  is " Saving Face"   2012, Academy and Emmy winning, documentary film directed by Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy and Daniel Junge about acid attacks on women in Pakistan. The film won the 2012 Academy Award for Best Documentary (Short Subject), making its director, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, Pakistan's first Oscar winner.

Cry
     Reply #4 - October 30, 2014, 03:08 PM

:(
    those rogues deserve the same fate
     Reply #5 - October 30, 2014, 04:17 PM

That is... well, I have nothing.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #6 - October 30, 2014, 04:22 PM

That is...

...something that could turn this life-long atheist into a suicide bomber to try to stop it.

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #7 - October 30, 2014, 06:02 PM

Somayeh Mehri (29) and Rana Afghanipour (3) are a mother and daughter living in Bam, southern Iran. They were attacked with acid by Somayeh’s husband Amir.  Somayeh had frequently been beaten and locked up by her husband, and finally found the courage to ask for a divorce.

Amir warned her that if she persisted in her attempts to leave him, she would not live out life with the face she had. One night in June 2011, he poured acid on Somayeh and Rana as they slept. Somayeh’s and Rana’s faces, hands, and, in places, their bodies were severely burned. Somayeh was blinded, and Rana lost one of her eyes.

Somayeh Mehri (29) walks with her daughter Rana Afghanipour (3) and another daughter, Nazanin, at Somayeh’s father’s house, the only place she feels calm after an acid attack eighteen months previously.

OMG  Cry. Poor women!
  • Re: Bad hijab’ linked to acid attacks on Iranian women says news
     Reply #8 - October 30, 2014, 08:27 PM

...something that could turn this life-long atheist into a suicide bomber to try to stop it.

Ineffective.

:(
    those rogues deserve the same fate

That would be far more effective. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - October 30, 2014, 09:38 PM

Seriously, they should have a day where all Iranian men have to wear hijab when they go out. Then, after spending the day in a stifling headscarf and chador they may begin to realize why women choose supposed "bad hijab".

Since the article talkes about women drivers being the victims of these attacksakes me wonder if these people doing such heinous deeds also have something against women drivers as well.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #10 - October 30, 2014, 11:05 PM

Holy crap  Cry
     Reply #11 - November 01, 2014, 09:52 AM

Somayeh Mehri (29) and Rana Afghanipour (3) are a mother and daughter living in Bam, southern Iran. They were attacked with acid by Somayeh’s husband Amir.  Somayeh had frequently been beaten and locked up by her husband, and finally found the courage to ask for a divorce.  Amir warned her that if she persisted in her attempts to leave him, she would not live out life with the face she had. [u][b]One night in June 2011, he poured acid on Somayeh and Rana as they slept[/b][/u]. Somayeh’s and Rana’s faces, hands, and, in places, their bodies were severely burned. Somayeh was blinded, and Rana lost one of her eyes.

I have given those three picture to Enlarge and photoframe.... They will be replacing some other old pictures in my room........

Reply #12 - November 01, 2014, 11:37 AM

تصویر سمت راست چهره واقعی منه. چهره مظلوم زن بودن و ایرانی بودن
    صحبت این روزها نیست ما سالهاست که سوختیم
    اون چهره نسوخته نغابی بیش نیست.
    وسوزش این درد برصورت من شدت گرفت
    از ان جایی که تیر اخر از شهر تمدن وتاریخ و هنرپرتاب شد.

I am a painter and this is a painting I've created to express the words I'd like to speak here better. My real portrait is the one you see on the right side of this painting. This is the real portrait of an Iranian woman. I am not just referring to these days and the acid attacks; it has been such a long time since our faces have begun to burn.. little by little. The face on the left hand side is just a mask we all wear. This pain on my face intensified when I heard that there's a new fire burning faces in the city of civilization, history, and art (She's referring to the acid attacks in the city of Isfahan)

‪#‎STOPACIDATTACKSONWOMEN‬
    ‫#‏آزادی‌یواشکی‬
    ‪#‎mystealthyfreedom‬
    ‫#‏اصفهان‬
    ‫#‏اسیدپاشی‬

Source: My Stealthy Freedom آزادی یواشکی زنان در ایران on Facebook.

Reply #13 - November 01, 2014, 11:40 AM

Sad stuff, makes me even more determined not to bow down in fear to that shit though.

far away hug to the poor ladies and babies!
     Reply #14 - November 01, 2014, 02:51 PM

Candlelight vigil held in Reyhaneh’s memory

ISLAMABAD: Human rights activists and students from various universities of the federal capital gathered in front of the National Press Club on Friday and held a candlelight vigil for Reyhaneh Jabbari.

A moment of silence was observed in Reyhaneh’s honour and her letter to her mother was also read out which left many among the participants teary-eyed. The protesters also condemned the violence against minorities in Pakistan, especially target killing of the Hazaras in Quetta.

Well there were very  few people who walked silently.. That is OK ...few good folks are better than millions of sheep..  

Reply #15 - November 01, 2014, 03:28 PM

No words can describe how that picture makes me feel!!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »