Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1273239 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 16 17 1819 20 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #510 - August 12, 2015, 10:54 PM

Thanks for putting that into perspective mate  Afro

Hi
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #511 - August 13, 2015, 09:21 PM

Awesome new article by David Powers.

https://www.academia.edu/14368999/_A_Bequest_May_Not_Exceed_One-Third_An_Isnad-cum-Matn_Analysis_and_Beyond

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #512 - August 13, 2015, 10:00 PM

I'll read it and tell you what I think - that's gonna be like a a baboon telling confucious how to live a virtuous life... But hey, I'll do it anyways.

Hi
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #513 - August 14, 2015, 01:05 AM

Immediate takeaways from Powers-Pavlovitch: One point which the hadiths share is that Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas desires to be buried toward Madina(t Yathrib). This is, the authors think, a reference to Sa'd as the ideal muhajir, who will emigrate forever toward Madina. Perhaps the Umayyad-era Muslims who transmitted this motif thought so too.

But in orthodox Islam, after Mecca was retaken there was no need for a hijra to Madina. Instead Mecca is the qibla and the focus of hajj. Sa'd (famously) survived many more years, to conquer Iran. So what's up with Sa'd's longing for Madina, and not for Mecca?

- 142, translation of Affan: Sa'd has left *somewhence* as a muhajir. Sa'd's abandoned home is assumed to have been Mecca, and so it is related as Mecca in several of the transmissions. But this is only in two places, 1a and 1b; both bracketed. It is explicitly Mecca in only two later sources Tahawi and Ibn 'Asakir. Mecca does appear explicitly in other, similar traditions, but...

- 168, #6.6, now talking about Ibn Jurayj's transmission: Bukhari was not honest when transmitting hadith. He had an agenda in how he felt Islamic history should be presented, and presented that version accordingly. In this case he was bothered by Sa'd's request to point toward Madina, even after Mecca was conquered. Bukhari's solution: place this event on the same DAY that Mecca was conquered. That way Sa'd didn't (yet) know that Mecca was supposed to be the focus.

Mecca seems strangely sidelined in the more-honest transmissions...

There is a strange odour coming off of this article too. On the one hand, the authors admit that "Mecca" might not even be in the original text in some places, and further point out that some transmitters were willing to tell fibs on Mecca's behalf in other places. But on the other hand the authors assume that Mecca was what the text intended anyway. So it goes through the rest of the article.

So I would say something stronger in response to that article: as Power will "withdraw" his "argument that the one-third restriction [of bequests] was introduced by Muhammad", I also think his article has shown that Mecca's importance was not universally accepted by muhaddithun well into the Umayyad era, and that their 'Abbasid-era students were unable / unwilling to hide that evidence ...

*ADDENDUM: If I'm right, this implies that Affan had compiled his account with his teacher Wuhayb's direct support - so, sometime in the early 150s / 770s, if not earlier. One would think that the later this hadith lasted, the more tempted a transmitter would be to follow the Meccan orthodoxy.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #514 - August 25, 2015, 09:46 PM

Fred Donner - Qur’ânicization of Religio-Political Discourse in the Umayyad Period

https://remmm.revues.org/7085
    Documentary and literary evidence suggests that during the Umayyad period, institutions and practices central to the operation of the state were renamed using terms from the Qur’an. The goal of this process was to legitimate the Umayyad state and government by linking them with the divine revelation and the person of the prophet Muhammad.  It also helped to define Islam as a tradition focused on the prophet and the Qur’an.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #515 - August 26, 2015, 02:02 PM

No, it's not that he would have stumbled upon it exactly.  Rather the archaic versions of certain Qur'anic texts (similar to the short 'early Meccan' surahs) would have already achieved prestige in Arab speaking communities; these would have been closely related to Syriac Christianity (they may even have originally been composed in Mesopotamia and diffused westward and southward, which would explain the strange fact that the Qur'an seems to incessantly use East Syriac derived religious terminology, not West Syriac or Palestinian Aramaic). 

What do you mean by the last two lines ? Can you bring us something to support these assertions ?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #516 - August 28, 2015, 06:34 PM

Ian David Morris - Miraculous light in the nativities of Muhammad and Zoroaster

http://www.iandavidmorris.com/miraculous-light-in-the-nativities-of-muhammad-and-zoroaster/
    It’s interesting that miraculous light is a motif in the nativities of both Muhammad and Zoroaster, in texts from a similar time and place: eighth-century Iraq, ninth-century Iran.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #517 - August 28, 2015, 07:03 PM

There's still time to enrol... https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/627112726276370432
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QubL8q84es&ebc=ANyPxKo9IOytE5ZUM3iTOX01ut0Uf8pLoSPxKnszCUaQbaU_vEuxnc1K4VM1tnzNxQCK3F2Y9Tn-
    What you'll learn

Basic organization, structure, and literary style of the Quran
    The Quran’s role within Islam and its meaning to Muslims
    Traditional Islamic and critical academic perspectives on the origin of the Quran
    Strategies utilized within the Quran to construct persuasive arguments
    Identify how the Quran employs Biblical characters and traditions
    Analyze and interpret religious arguments in a scholarly manner

Course Syllabus

Week 1: The Structure of the Quran
    Introduction to the shape of the Quran (its chapters or “Suras” and verses, the traditional classification of those chapters as “Meccan” or “Medinan”) and its literary qualities, especially rhyme.

Week 2: Themes of the Quran
    Examination of the major elements of the Quranic message: punishment stories, heaven and hell, divine signs in nature, and arguments for its own validity as divine scripture.

Week 3: The God of the Quran
    Consideration of the Quran’s insistence on a God who is transcendent and powerful; introduction to the “unforgivable sin” of associating something with God and to the Quran’s accusations against Christians of theological errors.

Week 4: The Context of the Quran’s Origins
    Discussion of Islamic traditions of pre-Islamic Arabia and the birth and career of Muhammad; discussion of the ways in which later Muslims constructed his biography with special attention to the story of his night journey to Jerusalem.

Week 5: The Revelation, Proclamation, and Codification,
    Introduction to both traditional Islamic and western academic perspectives on the question of how the Quran became a written text as we know it now.

Week 6: Exegesis of the Quran
    Examination of the principal methods of Islamic commentary on the Quran, including the classical period, the modern and contemporary period, and a reflection on the role of the Quran in shaping Islamic law.

Week 7: Hebrew Bible / Old Testament Figures
    Consideration of the ways in which the Quran presents characters from the Old Testament including Adam, Noah, and Moses.

Week 8: New Testament and Christianity
    Discussion of the Quranic presentation of New Testament figures such as Jesus and the disciples, and of Christians and the Bible more generally.

Week 9: Concluding Lecture and Exam

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-quran-scripture-islam-notredamex-th120-2x#.VeAvdO99084.twitter
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #518 - August 29, 2015, 08:22 PM

Quote from: Ian David Morris
    One of my really heretical positions is that I don’t believe ‘Abd al-Malik had a policy of Arabisation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/iandavidmorris/status/637699030047399937
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #519 - August 31, 2015, 05:58 PM

Times article on the dating of the Birmingham Qur'an: https://mobile.twitter.com/holland_tom/status/638394876380508160
    Keith Small, from the University of Oxford’s Bodleian Library, said that carbon dating was not always reliable and the dates announced last month applied not to the ink but to the parchment. The provenance of the text is also unclear and its calligraphic script is characteristic of later inscriptions.

Yet Dr Small believes that the dates are probably right and may raise broad questions about the origins of Islam. “If the [radio carbon] dates apply to the parchment and the ink, and the dates across the entire range apply, then the Koran — or at least portions of it — predates Mohammed, and moves back the years that an Arabic literary culture is in place well into the 500s,” he said.

“This gives more ground to what have been peripheral views of the Koran’s genesis, like that Mohammed and his early followers used a text that was already in existence and shaped it to fit their own political and theological agenda, rather than Mohammed receiving a revelation from heaven.

“This would radically alter the edifice of Islamic tradition and the history of the rise of Islam in late Near Eastern antiquity would have to be completely revised, somehow accounting for another book of scripture coming into existence 50 to 100 years before, and then also explaining how this was co-opted into what became the entity of Islam by around AD700.”

Daily Mail article: https://mobile.twitter.com/holland_tom/status/638255770396684288

Tom Holland and Caitlin Green discuss the dating: https://mobile.twitter.com/holland_tom/status/638332561186537472

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #520 - August 31, 2015, 07:07 PM

Not to derail the thread, but I agree with Small on this, and have a fairly novel hypothesis that I may put an article out on in a couple months (actually it is part of a larger article).   In brief, I argue that early Quranic composition and discourse evolved from anti-Chalcedonian monastisicm in the late 6th century, located in Arabia Petraea.

This was secondarily adapted by the historical Muhammad and his followers as a way of articulating Arabian religious identity against Byzantine authority.  The Qur'an was composed in a manner quite similar to what Luling argued back in the 1970s, and which has (to my mind wrongly) been overshadowed by the 'late composition' school of revisionism.

This hypothesis solves so many problems, and accounts so well for the distinctive characteristics of the Quranic corpus (in respects otherwise impossible to explain), that it kind of amazes me that it has not been pushed harder before by critical scholars.  Unfortunately I feel that Wansbrough played a huge role in derailing the field with arguments that, in certain vital respects, were completely wrong.  Not just in arguing for late composition, but in arguing that composition began with prophetical 'logia,' Judaic in character, which I think is ass-backwards.  Composition began with monastic recitations, in my view, Christian in character.  Specifically, anti-Chalcedonian Christianity.

There have been many arguments for how Qur'anic theology emerged from other sources, and cannot have emerged from anti-Chalcedonian Christianity, but I think they are all based on misconceptions.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #521 - August 31, 2015, 07:24 PM

Btw, here's a prime example of why I think the early composition approach is correct.  My article on Q 106 contends that the "Quraysh" tribal identity is in large part secondary, and was constructed by reference to the Qur'anic terminology in Q 106.  That argument in turn presupposes that Q 106 was already a prestigious religious recitation that it made sense to adapt, with poorly-understood language/references, and that there was a sharp disjunction between its earlier composition/understanding (as reference to a collectivity of Christian believers) and its later derivative use as identifying a coalition of Meccan pagans who had become converted Muhammadan believers, the Hijazi Quraysh.

This explanation does not work under the 'late composition' theory, nor on the traditional theory.  Instead it presupposes that composition of the earliest Qur'anic texts achieved regional prestige at a much earlier date.

There are many similar explanations that become possible from an 'early composition' approach, and which are impossible from more orthodox approaches.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #522 - August 31, 2015, 10:55 PM

I honestly can't wait to read that. Like I've said before, you always make more sense to me than anyone, and I would follow you anywhere. I am glad also that you are willing to devote your time, in amongst your practise, to writing something as broad and as captivating as what you're proposing here.

You have instant awe and respect from all of us. How are you/will you be viewed from within the wider scholarly community? Will your article reach enough of them? And finally, if this is not too personal, what is your name? I want to cyber-stalk you like I've never cyber-stalked any man (a few women, quite possibly*, but you will be my first male).

*I am not allowed to comment on that until after the hearing.

Hi
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #523 - August 31, 2015, 11:11 PM

In brief, I argue that early Quranic composition and discourse evolved from anti-Chalcedonian monastisicm in the late 6th century, located in Arabia Petraea.

This was secondarily adapted by the historical Muhammad and his followers as a way of articulating Arabian religious identity against Byzantine authority.

That sounds quite plausible. I'll be interested to read it.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #524 - September 01, 2015, 03:54 AM

Zaotar - Me too, obviously.

I'd have no problem with several "Meccan suras" being preMuhammadan in origin. Gabriel Said Reynolds has broadly hinted that these compositions are bounded only by their Christian subtext. As for Wansbrough, he was the proverbial boy who cried that the emperor had no clothes; he was not, however, a tailor. Right now Islamic studies needs a new suit.

Remember: in this context - suras 18-19(-20) - you would have to disprove van Bladel and Shoemaker, both. That would be a serious blow to the consensus scholarship of the first-2000s-decade.

I hope van Bladel and Shoemaker are paying attention to the news.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #525 - September 01, 2015, 10:05 AM

'I don’t want to give too much away at this stage, but…'

He's a tease, isn't he? A self-serving tease at that.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #526 - September 01, 2015, 10:34 AM

No, it's not that he would have stumbled upon it exactly.  Rather the archaic versions of certain Qur'anic texts (similar to the short 'early Meccan' surahs) would have already achieved prestige in Arab speaking communities; these would have been closely related to Syriac Christianity (they may even have originally been composed in Mesopotamia and diffused westward and southward, which would explain the strange fact that the Qur'an seems to incessantly use East Syriac derived religious terminology, not West Syriac or Palestinian Aramaic).  Whether Muhammad himself seized upon them and elaborated them further, or whether other individuals (my belief) systematically used them to elaborate the idea of an Arab prophet, now associated with Muhammad, not entirely clear.  But that's the idea --- there was an urgent need to assert the legitimacy of an Arab prophet, and so existing peripheral Arabic texts and recitations were adapted, with considerable speed, for that purpose.

The Qur'an does not, to my mind, look at all like something that an individual 'prophet' came up with, nor does it look like something that was composed from a blank sheet to exalt Muhammad.  It looks like a bunch of ancient texts and recitations were creatively adapted for a very different new purpose, probably in a different location and with some degree of linguistic dislocation as well.  To my mind, this implies at least two things:  (1) the archaic texts were very old, and already 'prestigious'; (2) there was an urgent need to come up with an Arabic 'Book' that could claim scriptural legitimacy.  That would suggest that the Qur'an could have been composed and codified quite quickly, which has been my thought for some time now.  In many ways, I think the 'long composition' theory creates more problems than it solves.

In addition to this and your later posts, do you have a blog or something somewhere that you detail these findings? I haven't been following this thread, and it's now dauntingly oppressive to find anything within.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #527 - September 01, 2015, 04:16 PM

Btw, Carlos Segovia just published a new paper arguing for Himyarite origins of some of the early Quranic Christology.

https://www.academia.edu/14840043/The_Jews_and_Christians_of_pre-Islamic_Yemen_%E1%B8%A4imyar_and_the_Elusive_Matrix_of_the_Qur_%C4%81ns_Christology_2015_Conference_Paper

My theory is somewhat similar but inverted geographically (i.e., Northern milieu, not South Arabian) and arguing from the *absence* of state authority over anti-Chalcedonian Christianity in Arabia Petraea at the end of the 6th Century, rather than starting with state authority like Abraha.  Again, clearly the early Quranic text seems to me to be apolitical, just as Islamic tradition takes it (though I see its apolitical nature as monkish and ascetic), produced in a milieu alienated from political power and ecclesiastical hierarchy.  So rather than looking for states that supported such a theology, we should look for those Arab Christian factions which opposed states that sought to assert an 'orthodox' imperial theology.  The other main difference is that I see the seemingly Dyophysite formulations of Christology in the Qur'an as late and secondary, imposed over an ur-Quranic Christology that emerged from anti-Chalcedonian factions, which in turn were ferociously opposed to the Chalcedonian orthodoxy.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #528 - September 02, 2015, 04:24 PM

Also, responding to Zim, I still think Bladel is right, and that these surahs were probably composed around 630-ish.  So I don't see them as pre-Islamic, itself kind of a useless word .... I prefer archaic.

It's somewhat misleading to assign specific dates to the early Qur'anic corpus, but if I had to guess I'd say that it emerged around 570-600, in connection with the collapse of Ghassanid authority and the rise of furious Christological disputes among anti-Chalcedonian factions in the Palestinian periphery. 

I think many of the short oracular surahs were probably composed in this context, along with general formulations and discourse, and the larger 'Meccan' surahs were extensively worked and reworked over the next few decades.

I would definitely appreciate your input on the general paper and its ideas, since they are pretty unusual, and it's easy to go astray with such things.  The general approach is to first explain Q 17:1-8 in the context of  anti-Chalcedonian tradition, and then segue more broadly into Quranic origins.  I already wrote the introduction, so why don't I post it here and see what y'all think about this line of argument.  Next post ... (the introductory quote comes from Bitton-Ashkelony's monograph on pilgrimage in late antiquity).
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #529 - September 02, 2015, 04:26 PM

"The author was here drawing the boundaries of the sacred space of Jerusalem, while at the same time proclaiming possession of this territory of grace—that this network of holy places belonged to his hero too, and not only to the Chalcedonians currently in possession of them.  Although Peter could not undertake this sacred journey, or was prevented from doing so, he did not renounce the holy places.  This visionary journey was in fact a provisional solution, a perfect device used in troubled times in the city for tackling the tension between access too and debarment from the holy places in Jerusalem."

1.     Introduction and Summary

Muḥammad’s night journey, related by the opening verse of Surat al-Isrā (Q 17:1), is a fantastic episode in the prophet’s biography.  Scholars have usually analyzed this journey as a heavenly vision that helped legitimate the Arabian prophet, similar to various prophetic visions from Jewish and Christian tradition.   Yet this specific Qur’ānic text has rarely been subjected to modern analytical methods, and its Palestinian context has been unduly minimized. 
          Starting with Nöldeke, scholars have observed that Q 17:1 was interpolated, since inter alia every verse in Surat al-Isrā shares the same end rhyme, except for Q 17:1.   Moses was the subject of the pre-interpolation Q 17:1, with its rare verb asrā designating Moses’ ‘night journey,’ used by three other surahs to describe Moses’ nocturnal exodus from Egypt (Q 20:77, 26:52, 44:23).  But the interpolation of Q 17:1 substituted an anonymous servant of God (meant to be understood as Muḥammad) for Moses, and described that servant’s asrā from the sacred masjid to the furthest masjid, usually understood as Jerusalem.  Why was it so important to establish that Muḥammad made this nocturnal journey, to the point of requiring interpolation?
          This article argues that the interpolation of Q 17:1 sought to fix a severe problem with Quranic typology as Islam emerged, with the problem’s context being Palestinian (hence its focus on the masjid al-aqṣā) rather than Hijazi.  The Qur’ān likened the mu’minūn (believers) to Abraham’s children, and likened its Arabian messenger to Moses.  This helped legitimize the mu’minūn’s claims to political and religious authority. 
          But this typology also left the mu’minūn vulnerable to incendiary Christian polemic incorporated in their own Quranic texts, particularly Surat al-Isrā.  Q 17:4-8 revels in the Roman destruction of the Jewish temple, along with the Roman expulsion of the ‘corrupt’ Jews from Jerusalem.  Q 17:4 contends that the Book of Moses decreed this fate for the Jews, and identifies the Romans as God’s new servants.  This Quranic exaltation of Roman-Christian supremacy over Jerusalem contradicted emerging proto-Islamic claims for the supremacy of Muḥammad and his followers.  Jesus had entered Jerusalem as a perfectly obedient prophet, and God had given the city over to his followers.  In contrast, both Muḥammad and Moses had failed to reach Jerusalem.  Further, as Stephen Shoemaker has argued, early mu’minūn evidently viewed Muḥammad’s death as an unexpected calamity.  He had sought to enter Jerusalem in eschatological triumph, but failed.   How could Muḥammad be God’s final prophet when he had died in exile from the Holy Land, just like the disobedient Moses?  God had made Jerusalem the Holy City of Jesus, Romans, and Christians, as Q 17:1-8 itself confirmed.
          To fix this Quranic vulnerability, Q 17:1 was interpolated to assert that Muḥammad had made a miraculous journey to Jerusalem.  The interpolator used an important late antique Christian tradition:  When a holy man could not enter Jerusalem because of sectarian conflict, he would instead make a visionary pilgrimage.  As interpolated, Q 17:1 clarified that Muḥammad had certainly not, like Moses, failed to reach Jerusalem.  Instead he was taken to the city by night, where he saw its holy signs (a topos of Christian pilgrimage).  Q 17:1 does not describe signs witnessed in heaven.  Rather the text describes the servant of God as being shown the signs in Jerusalem itself, embedded in the city’s sacred geography, mimicking Christian pilgrimage.
          Like Jesus, Muḥammad fulfilled his destiny within the Holy City.  His nocturnal journey allowed him to evade the corrupt Christian mushrikūn who controlled Jerusalem, while still claiming the Holy City’s sacred space, just as Peter the Iberian, the hero of Palestinian anti-Chalcedonian Christianity (and the central historical personality behind early conversion of Arab Petraea to Christianity), had famously made his own late 5th century nocturnal pilgrimage to Jerusalem, communing with God while flouting Chalcedonian power.  Any believer familiar with Palestinian pilgrimage traditions and texts of the 6th-7th centuries would have recognized this motif, as popularized by Peter’s biographer John Rufus (himself of Syrian Arab descent). 
          This ingenious maneuver against Chalcedonian Christianity was obscured when Islamic tradition almost entirely suppressed the early mu’minūn’s focus on Jerusalem, replacing it with a Meccan focus and a competing Hijazi pilgrimage.  Muḥammad was portrayed as a perfect Hijazi prophet, only vaguely connected to Jerusalem, and Q 17:1 was lost to mystical speculation.
         The article concludes by discussing how anti-Chalcedonian monasticism in the 6th century played a central role in early Arabic Christianity and its Christological controversies.  Theological innovations arising from anti-Chalcedonian Christianity, as extant in Arabia Petraea, can explain many otherwise puzzling aspects of Quranic origins, including how Quranic composition first emerged and achieved prestige as a distinctive religious discourse.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #530 - September 02, 2015, 08:01 PM

"Fragments of 'world's oldest known Koran' unlikely to pre-date Prophet Mohamed, says expert"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/fragments-of-worlds-oldest-koran-unlikely-to-predate-prophet-mohamed-says-expert-10481728.html
    Professor Thomas said the concept of a Koran that predates Mohamed would require “a radical revision of Islamic history”, adding: “I think there are substantial obstacles in the way of that.”

Quote from: Tom Holland
    To answer Prof Thomas' qu: the upheavals of the early 7th C may have given pre-existing texts a new & urgent saliency  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/fragments-of-worlds-oldest-koran-unlikely-to-predate-prophet-mohamed-says-expert-10481728.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/holland_tom/status/638841583090204672

Jonathan Brown as well: https://mobile.twitter.com/iandavidmorris/status/638763225560055809
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #531 - September 02, 2015, 10:59 PM

"The author was here drawing the boundaries of the sacred space of Jerusalem, while at the same time proclaiming possession of this territory of grace—that this network of holy places belonged to his hero too, and not only to the Chalcedonians currently in possession of them.  Although Peter could not undertake this sacred journey, or was prevented from doing so, he did not renounce the holy places.  This visionary journey was in fact a provisional solution, a perfect device used in troubled times in the city for tackling the tension between access too and debarment from the holy places in Jerusalem."

1.     Introduction and Summary

Muḥammad’s night journey, related by the opening verse of Surat al-Isrā (Q 17:1), is a fantastic episode in the prophet’s biography.  Scholars have usually analyzed this journey as a heavenly vision that helped legitimate the Arabian prophet, similar to various prophetic visions from Jewish and Christian tradition.   Yet this specific Qur’ānic text has rarely been subjected to modern analytical methods, and its Palestinian context has been unduly minimized. 
          Starting with Nöldeke, scholars have observed that Q 17:1 was interpolated, since inter alia every verse in Surat al-Isrā shares the same end rhyme, except for Q 17:1.   Moses was the subject of the pre-interpolation Q 17:1, with its rare verb asrā designating Moses’ ‘night journey,’ used by three other surahs to describe Moses’ nocturnal exodus from Egypt (Q 20:77, 26:52, 44:23).  But the interpolation of Q 17:1 substituted an anonymous servant of God (meant to be understood as Muḥammad) for Moses, and described that servant’s asrā from the sacred masjid to the furthest masjid, usually understood as Jerusalem.  Why was it so important to establish that Muḥammad made this nocturnal journey, to the point of requiring interpolation?
          This article argues that the interpolation of Q 17:1 sought to fix a severe problem with Quranic typology as Islam emerged, with the problem’s context being Palestinian (hence its focus on the masjid al-aqṣā) rather than Hijazi.  The Qur’ān likened the mu’minūn (believers) to Abraham’s children, and likened its Arabian messenger to Moses.  This helped legitimize the mu’minūn’s claims to political and religious authority. 
          But this typology also left the mu’minūn vulnerable to incendiary Christian polemic incorporated in their own Quranic texts, particularly Surat al-Isrā.  Q 17:4-8 revels in the Roman destruction of the Jewish temple, along with the Roman expulsion of the ‘corrupt’ Jews from Jerusalem.  Q 17:4 contends that the Book of Moses decreed this fate for the Jews, and identifies the Romans as God’s new servants.  This Quranic exaltation of Roman-Christian supremacy over Jerusalem contradicted emerging proto-Islamic claims for the supremacy of Muḥammad and his followers.  Jesus had entered Jerusalem as a perfectly obedient prophet, and God had given the city over to his followers.  In contrast, both Muḥammad and Moses had failed to reach Jerusalem.  Further, as Stephen Shoemaker has argued, early mu’minūn evidently viewed Muḥammad’s death as an unexpected calamity.  He had sought to enter Jerusalem in eschatological triumph, but failed.   How could Muḥammad be God’s final prophet when he had died in exile from the Holy Land, just like the disobedient Moses?  God had made Jerusalem the Holy City of Jesus, Romans, and Christians, as Q 17:1-8 itself confirmed.
          To fix this Quranic vulnerability, Q 17:1 was interpolated to assert that Muḥammad had made a miraculous journey to Jerusalem.  The interpolator used an important late antique Christian tradition:  When a holy man could not enter Jerusalem because of sectarian conflict, he would instead make a visionary pilgrimage.  As interpolated, Q 17:1 clarified that Muḥammad had certainly not, like Moses, failed to reach Jerusalem.  Instead he was taken to the city by night, where he saw its holy signs (a topos of Christian pilgrimage).  Q 17:1 does not describe signs witnessed in heaven.  Rather the text describes the servant of God as being shown the signs in Jerusalem itself, embedded in the city’s sacred geography, mimicking Christian pilgrimage.
          Like Jesus, Muḥammad fulfilled his destiny within the Holy City.  His nocturnal journey allowed him to evade the corrupt Christian mushrikūn who controlled Jerusalem, while still claiming the Holy City’s sacred space, just as Peter the Iberian, the hero of Palestinian anti-Chalcedonian Christianity (and the central historical personality behind early conversion of Arab Petraea to Christianity), had famously made his own late 5th century nocturnal pilgrimage to Jerusalem, communing with God while flouting Chalcedonian power.  Any believer familiar with Palestinian pilgrimage traditions and texts of the 6th-7th centuries would have recognized this motif, as popularized by Peter’s biographer John Rufus (himself of Syrian Arab descent). 
          This ingenious maneuver against Chalcedonian Christianity was obscured when Islamic tradition almost entirely suppressed the early mu’minūn’s focus on Jerusalem, replacing it with a Meccan focus and a competing Hijazi pilgrimage.  Muḥammad was portrayed as a perfect Hijazi prophet, only vaguely connected to Jerusalem, and Q 17:1 was lost to mystical speculation.
         The article concludes by discussing how anti-Chalcedonian monasticism in the 6th century played a central role in early Arabic Christianity and its Christological controversies.  Theological innovations arising from anti-Chalcedonian Christianity, as extant in Arabia Petraea, can explain many otherwise puzzling aspects of Quranic origins, including how Quranic composition first emerged and achieved prestige as a distinctive religious discourse.

Great start, and as a laymen, you make me want to read more. I hope it has the same effect on the people who count, even if it does threaten to ram and slightly bruise their ego's.

I have no doubt that you will fill the rest of the article with example after example highlighting why late composition and traditional approaches do not explain aspects of the Quran nearly as well as early composition, along with an anti-Chalcedonian* influence on this composition. In fact, I have no doubt that your comprehensive and detailed approach will carry the average reader, with a strong and irresistible current, to the persuasive conclusion that you want them to see. I just hope yours is not a voice that is lost on the stubborn scholars, who possibly have too much invested in being on the right track themselves.

The last paragraph in your summary seems understated to me. Such is my brash nature, that I'd like to see your all-important conclusion in flashing lights, in block capitals, in screaming Yezeevee font, and in a more prominent position. But you obviously have academic convention to follow, and superior minds to reach out to, so it's probably perfect as it is.

*had to wiki that

Hi
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #532 - September 02, 2015, 11:03 PM

I read that Independent article earlier. And to my untrained eye, frazzled mind, and slightly biased heart, Professor Brown's views on this seem too dismissive and unbalanced. He may be right about the manuscript being from the latter period of the carbon dating range, but he seems to me to go from there to rejecting all revisionism in one fell swoop.

Hi
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #533 - September 02, 2015, 11:10 PM

Well, bear in mind that Jonathan Brown is a muslim convert as well as an academic, so even supposing for a moment his arguments are correct there's still an agenda behind them.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #534 - September 02, 2015, 11:20 PM

Ah ok, that adds up.

In that case, the Independent should have chosen a more passive headline.

Hi
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #535 - September 02, 2015, 11:31 PM

The Independent's expert is a different one who I don't really know anything about.

"Birmingham University’s Professor of Christianity and Islam, David Thomas", apparently. I had to go back and check the name.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #536 - September 03, 2015, 12:30 AM

Zaotar: A verse of surat bani Israel (v. 111, iirc) is quoted on the Dome of the Rock, and the core of it vv. 22-39 is paraphrased heavily by other suras also quoted on the Dome like suras 4 (vv. 127, 135) and more so 6 (vv. 151-3). I would not be in the least surprised if a codex emerged containing sura 17, dating to Muhammad's lifetime (or before it!).

A few thoughts, which may or may not be helpful -

* That first "verse" of sura 17 might not be intended as a verse, but intended as the official subheading, to be read as an extension of the basmala. It does, after all, start out "extolling God and His attributes" - literally. Al-Sami' Al-Basir even rhymes with Al-Rahman Al-Rahim. It is "in assonance", at least.

* That first "verse" happens to begin with subḥāna ['llāh, implicitly]. This reminds me of the musabbiḥāt suras like suras 57, 59, 61 and 62 - which are also paralleled on the Dome. The Marwanids were (I think) fond of these suras, quoting from Q. 61:8-9 on their "reform" coinage.

* Your article associates Q. 17:1 with the Syro-Palestinian Monophysitism of the sixth century CE. The core of this carried on with Imperial Monoergism / Miaphysitism. In Syria, the Maronites kept up the faith up to George of Reshaina in the late 600s CE; and in the Byzantine Empire, Philippicus Bardanes tried to reinstate "Monotheletism" as late as the 710s. That was during the caliphate of al-Walid I, credited with the al-Aqsa masjid. As, earlier, Mu'awiya made public nods to the Christians of Palestine in 660 CE - to the point of praying at Jesus's tomb (in orthodox Islam, Jesus has no tomb); so, later, al-Walid might have nodded to Peter the Iberian here. So if you are going to set a date to the interpolation of Q. 17:1 - such a date will be difficult to constrain. (IMO. But then, you don't have to constrain that date. It looks like you've done enough already.)
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #537 - September 03, 2015, 01:33 AM

Yep, part of my argument is in reverse -- normally people focus on what the imperial policy and ecclesiastical hierarchy was trying to accomplish in Syria/Arabia/Egypt.  Imperial policy was focused mostly on creating moderation and unity, reconciliation, which would further state interests.  I want to focus on what the anti-Chalcedonian movement more broadly was doing, theologically and politically, which includes anti-Chalcedonian opposition to the Chalcedonians (obviously) but also anti-Chalcedonian opposition to the Jacobites/monophysites (less obviously) and to clerical hierarchy itself (much less obviously).  You could call this heresy, but I see anti-Chalcedonianism more as a broad movement that developed complex forms of resistance to imperial efforts at control.

The rabid bitterness of anti-Chalcedonian opposition to the Chalcedonians is often said to be inexplicable, but I think this partly stems from taking the moderate Jacobite orthodoxy as if its reconciliatory and imperial-backed aims accurately reflect the true central themes of anti-Chalcedonian thought.  Actually they are attempts to try to impose order on the disturbing chaos of anti-Chalcedonian thought in the late 6th century, particularly in terms of Christology.

Also I don't really argue the dates much.  I hold that Q 17:1-8 was originally a sort of basic Christian anti-Jewish polemic that was modified to exalt the Qur'anic messenger as a Jesus-equivalent, then stuck on the beginning of the surah.  How and when 17:1 was interpolated more specifically to talk about the journey being to Jerusalem, I do not really take a position on (could have been any time), although I do note that Noldeke says it must have been changed shortly after Muhammad's death, which I think is rather likely.

Similarly, my idea is that the ur-Quranic discourse systematically emerged from anti-Chalcedonian thought, probably in connection with the destruction of Jafnid authority by Maurice around 582 or so, creating an imperial and political vacuum in the Arabian territories.  But this was not an instantaneous process linked to a specific date!  It was surely an evolving body of discourse for many decades.... I still think Van Bladel is right and the full Uthmanic rasm probably rigidified around 650 or so, near the traditional date, but I would not be shocked at all if it was kicked two/three decades earlier or later.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #538 - September 03, 2015, 07:48 AM

A verse of surat bani Israel (v. 111, iirc) is quoted on the Dome of the Rock,

I thought it was the reverse - a scripture from the Dome of the Rock was quoted in the koran.  More evidence that the koran is a composite collection.

How is the Dome dated?  Might it be 500's and xian?

Did Justinian build it?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #539 - September 03, 2015, 07:53 AM

JUSTINIAN
    Byzantine history goes from the founding of Constantinople as imperial residence on 11 May 330 CE until Tuesday 29 May 1453 CE, when the Ottoman sultan Memhet II conquered the city. Most times the history of the Empire is divided in three periods.

The first of these, from 330 till 867 CE, saw the creation and survival of a powerful empire. During the reign of Justinian (527-565 CE), a last attempt was made to reunite the whole Roman Empire under one ruler, the one in Constantinople. This plan largely succeeded: the wealthy provinces in Italy and Africa were reconquered, Libya was rejuvenated, and money bought sufficient diplomatic influence in the realms of the Frankish rulers in Gaul and the Visigothic dynasty in Spain. The refound unity was celebrated with the construction of the church of Holy Wisdom, Hagia Sophia, in Constantinople. The price for the reunion, however, was high. Justinian had to pay off the Sasanian Persians, and had to deal with firm resistance, for instance in Italy.

Under Justinian, the lawyer Tribonian (500-547 CE) created the famous Corpus Iuris. The Code of Justinian, a compilation of all the imperial laws, was published in 529 CE; soon the Institutions (a handbook) and the Digests (fifty books of jurisprudence), were added

http://www.ancient.eu/Byzantine_Empire/

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Previous page 1 ... 16 17 1819 20 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »