Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1277841 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 39 40 4142 43 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1200 - November 08, 2016, 09:06 AM

Manolis Ulbricht - Coranus Graecus: the oldest transmitted translation of the Qur'an (PhD abstract)

https://www.academia.edu/18143799/Ulbricht_Ph.D._Abstract
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1201 - November 10, 2016, 08:32 PM

Walid Saleh - Sublime in its Style, Exquisite in its Tenderness: The Hebrew Bible Quotations in al-Biqa`i's Qur'an commentary

https://www.academia.edu/29597880/Sublime_in_its_Style_Exquisite_in_its_Tenderness_The_Hebrew_Bible_Quotations_in_al-Biqais_Quran_commentary
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1202 - November 11, 2016, 05:06 PM

Chris Wickham and Hugh Kennedy on the Arab conquests. This is a useful historical introduction despite some slightly ridiculous presenting from ex-SWP member Chris Bamberry. Chris Wickham is mainly a historian of early medieval Europe but is good on the early Islamic world where he touches on it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VooGM_PtAm0
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1203 - November 16, 2016, 12:00 PM

Irfan Shahid has died: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=irfan-shahid&pid=182500825

Interview with Irfan Shahid from 2008: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/dumbarton-oaks-archives/historical-records/oral-history-project/irfan-shahid
    So, I took that and I decided to deal with the history of Byzantium and the Arabs; not with the Arabs as such, but to deal with them as a force in Roman history. In other words, the traditional view of the fall of the Roman Empire was to the German tribes in the west in the fifth century, but in the east the Arabs attacked in the seventh century. So, the fall of Rome has to take care of the two thrusts, the German and the Arab. Gibbon in his book put between two stiff covers the two peoples, but then they parted company. The descendants of the Germans, distinguished German scholars nowadays in Germany and in the nineteenth century and the twentieth, have dealt with the German problem. No one has really dealt with the Arabs as part of Roman history. They dealt with it as Arab history or as Islamic history, but not as a theme in the larger theme, the fall of the Roman Empire. This is what I decided to do. And I thought that that would be a worthy theme. It would be both Arab and classical and would do justice to my training.

Byzantium and the Arabs in the Fifth Century: http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/med/shahid.asp
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1204 - November 16, 2016, 02:34 PM

RIP, Dr Shahid. I thought highly of his work on sura 26 and on Arabic poetry in general (although he irritated some scholars of the former). I emailed him once but I think he was already burned out by the flamewar.

Here it all is, for those with access:

* “A Contribution to Koranic Exegesis” ed. George Makdisi, Arabic and Islamic studies in honor of Hamilton A.R. Gibb (Brill, 1965), 563-80; 563.
    * “Another Contribution to Koranic Exegesis: the Sûra of the Poets (XXVI)”, Journal of Arabic Literature 14 (1983), 1-21;
    * “The ‘Sûra’ of the Poets, Qur’ân XXVI: Final Conclusions”, Journal of Arabic Literature 35.2 (2004), 175-220.

Critiques:
    * Michael Schub, “Qur’ân 26:224, GÂWÛN, Fundamentally Disoriented: an Orientalist Note” in JAL 18 (1987)
    * Michael Zwettler, The Oral Tradition of Classical Arabic Poetry: Its Character and Implications (Columbus: Ohio State University Press), 156-70 (a particularly intemperate one!)
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1205 - November 16, 2016, 03:04 PM

RIP, Dr Shahid. I thought highly of his work on sura 26 and on Arabic poetry in general (although he irritated some scholars of the former). I emailed him once but I think he was already burned out by the flamewar.

Here it all is, for those with access:
    * “The ‘Sûra’ of the Poets, Qur’ân XXVI: Final Conclusions”, Journal of Arabic Literature 35.2 (2004), 175-220.

that is a good paper to read but question to you Zimriel .,

Dr Shahid.  being a Palestine Christian and with all the educational background  +  Professor and Quran historian .,  
      Did he ever say /write in any of his publications that    ., "QURAN IS NOT WORD OF ALLAH  BUT A BOOK OF ARABIC POETRY  PUT TOGETHER  "??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1206 - November 16, 2016, 03:42 PM

yeez, I happen to have a copy of that 2004 essay on this computer.

This essay assumes the majority non-Muslim Arab position, that sura 26 was composed in its entirety by Muhammad himself. To the best of my knowledge Dr Shahid never abandoned that position, for that sura or any other sura.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1207 - November 16, 2016, 05:30 PM

yeez, I happen to have a copy of that 2004 essay on this computer.

glad to know that., I wonder whether you could put  some  critical excepts of that paper here.,i  am very much  interested  in connecting  "DOTS OF ARABIC POETRY OF THAT TIME &  ITS AUTHORS  WITH QURAN.."

This essay assumes the majority non-Muslim Arab position, that sura 26 was composed in its entirety by Muhammad himself. To the best of my knowledge Dr Shahid never abandoned that position, for that sura or any other sura.

It is possible.,  and I add to that.,    ONE OF  MANY  "QURAN  MUHAMMADS"  may have scribbled some poetic words of that chapter .,  but my question was slightly different.,  question was     Did dr. Irfan Shahid  ever explicitly write in any of his publications that     "QURAN IS NOT WORD OF ALLAH  BUT A BOOK OF ARABIC POETRY  PUT TOGETHER  "??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1208 - November 16, 2016, 06:40 PM

I'm not aware that Shahid wrote those words in any scholarly context. But really, scholars aren't supposed to say things like that in their work. They can say things like that in interviews, or in fora like this one, but questions about whether or not Allah has a book deal aren't in scope for scholarship.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1209 - November 16, 2016, 07:14 PM

Program for IQSA annual meeting, San Antonio November 18-21

https://iqsaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/iqsa-programbook-2016.pdf
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1210 - November 17, 2016, 09:02 AM

I'm not aware that Shahid wrote those words in any scholarly context. But really,  scholars aren't supposed to say things like that in their work . They can say things like that in interviews,
    or in fora like this one, but questions about whether or not Allah has a book deal aren't in scope for scholarship.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy    And what is the good reason for that  Zimriel ?  

... . They can say things like that in interviews ,
    or in fora like this one, but questions about whether or not Allah has a book deal aren't in scope for scholarship.

well let us take that meeting pdf file from zeca post
    Program for IQSA annual meeting, San Antonio November 18-21

https://iqsaweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/iqsa-programbook-2016.pdf

My goodness gracious look at  that PDF file of that meeting  i see plenty of big names in that  IQSA annual meeting.,  So Zimriel., did you hear any one of those big guys from  those big universities say in any  television interviews  such words??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1211 - November 17, 2016, 09:58 PM

Brilliant, great help to the forgetful  Afro

Hi
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1212 - November 18, 2016, 01:28 PM

Continuation of this thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/iandavidmorris/status/799412878927220736
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1213 - November 18, 2016, 01:45 PM

Fred Donner - Arabic Fatḥ as ‘Conquest’ and its Origin in Islamic Tradition

http://islamichistorycommons.org/mem/wp-content/uploads/sites/55/2016/11/UW-24-Donner.pdf

(from the current issue of Al-ʿUsur al-Wusta: The Journal of Middle East Medievalists)
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1214 - November 18, 2016, 05:39 PM

Antoine Borrut reviews Denis Genequand and Christian Julien Robin (eds.), Les Jafnides: des rois arabes au service de Byzance (vie siècle de l’ère chrétienne)

http://islamichistorycommons.org/mem/wp-content/uploads/sites/55/2016/11/UW-24-Borrut.pdf
    The volume under review revisits the Ghassānids, the famous Arab dynasty allied to Byzantium that has attracted considerable scholarly attention over a good century or more. This undertaking begins with a challenge to the very name granted to the dynasty: “Ghassānid” is indeed quite a misnomer. Names ending in –ids (-idès in Greek) imply a common ancestor and so one should more accurately refer to them as Jafnids, that is the descendants of one Jafna (80 and n. 2, 193). (The same applies to the Lakhmids who are more aptly named Naṣrids after their eponym Naṣr.)
    It is, therefore, not surprising that Armand-Pierre Caussin de Perceval and Theodor Nöldeke could be regarded as founding fathers of what might rightly be called the field of “Jafnid studies” already in the nineteenth century. The field, as it were, generated a sustained body of scholarship arguably best exemplified by the extensive work of Irfan Shahîd. The latter’s arguments, in fact, are discussed throughout this volume. Several of the contributors to the present book see Shahîd’s work as inextricably linked to Arab nationalism and, thus, revisit his conclusions on the Jafnids and what they can tell us of Arab practices of power on the eve of Islam.
    The  final paper is by Michael Lecker (“Were the Ghassānids and the Byzantines behind Muḥammad’s hijra?”, 277-93). It explores an intriguing hypothesis that links Heraclius’ campaign (April 622), the ʿAqaba meeting between Muḥammad and the Anṣār (composed of Khazraj and Aws, June 622), and the subsequent hijra (September 622) (277). To demonstrate these connections, Lecker considers the long-term interest of the Khazraj in the “water resources of the Jews in Upper Medina,” which they attempted but failed to capture around 617 at the battle of Buʿāth (278). Lecker assumes that the Khazraj had a “dominant role” in the ʿAqaba meeting (279) precisely because they were seeking support for the effort to seize those same lands. Lecker then turns to the links between the Khazraj and Ghassānids; he concludes that “the communication channels between the Khazraj and Ghassān were open, and hence the assumption that the latter played a role in the ʿAqaba meeting is not far-fetched” (287).

The Ghassān are also attested in the umma agreement (i.e., the so-called Constitution of Medina, ca. 623 CE): after listing Khazraj (§28-32) and Aws (§33), the list continues with the Banū Thaʿlaba (§ 34), the Jafna (§ 35), and the Banū al-Shuṭayba (§ 36). The three last groups were Ghassānids (or their clients). Lecker thus concludes that “the participation of three Ghassānid groups in the umma agreement suggests that, shortly after his arrival at Medina, Muḥammad was backed by the Ghassānids alongside their Byzantine overlords” (289). The argument, however fascinating, largely ignores the demise of the Ghassānids several decades earlier. It also undermines Jafnid agency at a time when their loyalty to Byzantium was far from obvious.

Lecker situates his hypothesis in a broader context, namely the Byzantine effort to replace the Jews of Medina, “longtime allies of the Sassanians, with a political entity friendly to Byzantium” (289). And thus the long-term goal of the Khazraj to seize Yathrīb/Medina was achieved by Muḥammad (290). Lecker is perfectly right to note “that Heraclius’ fortune in his war against the Sasanians since 622 coincided with those of Muḥammad in his takeover of Medina and large parts of Arabia” (p. 290, n. 66). Again, the hypothesis is compelling. It will need much more research, however, to be fully convincing.

See the previous discussion here on Lecker's arguments: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27568.msg862005#msg862005
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1215 - November 21, 2016, 07:56 PM

New interview with Alba Fedeli, in Arabic.

https://iqsaweb.wordpress.com/2016/11/21/%D9%85%D8%AE%D8%B7%D9%88%D8%B7%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%82%D8%B1%D8%A2%D9%86-%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%81%D9%8A%D9%84%D9%88%D9%84%D9%88%D8%AC%D9%8A%D8%A7-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%82%D9%85%D9%8A%D8%A9/

The most interesting part, for me, is that she is working on a strict phylogenetic computer analysis of the orthography of early manuscripts.  Since I am a huge advocate of cladistic logic, as recently developed in modern evolutionary theory (it is a fantastically sophisticated way of analyzing the historical origination, differentiation, proliferation, and elimination of variation relative to common ancestral sources), this is a really cool project.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1216 - November 24, 2016, 06:26 PM

Gabriel Said Reynolds - A Flawed Prophet? Noah in the Qurʾān and Qurʾānic Commentary

https://www.academia.edu/30069391/_A_Flawed_Prophet_Noah_in_the_Qurʾān_and_Qurʾānic_Commentary_Islamic_Studies_Today_ed._M._Daneshgar_and_W._Saleh_Leiden_Brill_2016_260-73
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1217 - November 27, 2016, 04:37 PM

On allegiances between groups, Vidal in Julian comments that arabs were used as mercenaries but they were not much use :-).

Maybe 300 odd years later some war skills had been learnt as there were two main groups to pick up ideas and techniques  from.

Two cousins could easily have picked up skills from opposing sides and later compared notes.

I wonder if history of warfare experts might be a better group to tease out what on earth happened.

Could the Koran be also a propaganda weapon?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1218 - November 27, 2016, 04:44 PM

New interview with Alba Fedeli, in Arabic.

https://iqsaweb.wordpress.com/2016/11/21/%D9%85%D8%AE%D8%B7%D9%88%D8%B7%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%82%D8%B1%D8%A2%D9%86-%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%81%D9%8A%D9%84%D9%88%D9%84%D9%88%D8%AC%D9%8A%D8%A7-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%82%D9%85%D9%8A%D8%A9/

The most interesting part, for me, is that she is working on a strict phylogenetic computer analysis of the orthography of early manuscripts.  Since I am a huge advocate of cladistic logic, as recently developed in modern evolutionary theory (it is a fantastically sophisticated way of analyzing the historical origination, differentiation, proliferation, and elimination of variation relative to common ancestral sources), this is a really cool project.

This will definitely tease stuff out :-)

A relative gave me Deep Time by Henry Gee a few years ago

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=asITAQAAIAAJ&q=clade+henry&dq=clade+henry&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq_uPqsMnQAhWHJcAKHUuCC9UQ6AEIPDAG

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1219 - November 27, 2016, 04:50 PM

Just realised my thinking is biased against thinking which group did what to who when and where and asking what ideas and thinking were going on - James Burke Connections :-)

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1220 - November 27, 2016, 04:57 PM

Hey, I didn't realise I have a not properly thought through history and purpose of life going on in my head :-)

Various people like power, and do what they can to get it, others want to just get on as best they can with each other.

Depending on their cultures, institutions, technical and scientific knowhow, there are different opportunities to get and keep power.

The seventh century was a particularly unstable time, enabling new groups to grab some power.

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1221 - November 29, 2016, 06:55 PM

Stefan Heidemann - The Evolving Representation of the Early Islamic Empire and Its Religion on Coin Imagery

https://www.academia.edu/212830/The_Evolving_Representation_of_the_Early_Islamic_Empire_and_Its_Religion_on_Coin_Imagery
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1222 - November 29, 2016, 07:11 PM

Fantastic article by Manfred Kropp on Ethiopianisms in the Qur'an.  It's in German tho.  The sections on Injil and Hawari/Ansar are particularly interesting.

https://www.academia.edu/30104500/%C3%84thiopische_Arabesken_im_Koran_afro-asiatische_Perlen_auf_Band_gereiht_einzeln_oder_zu_Paaren_diffus_verteilt_oder_an_Glanzpunkten_konzentriert
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1223 - November 29, 2016, 07:27 PM

This is going to be great for my work on Agnostic Rastafari Sufism  Afro

Do you understand German, Zaotar, or are you relying on a translation tool?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1224 - November 29, 2016, 08:00 PM

I studied it for years in school and briefly studied + worked in Germany.  My spoken German is atrocious, but I've been able to keep up the reading fairly well.

I like to read manga translated into German, which is an easy way to keep it fresh (just finished Vol. 5 of "Attack on Titan" last night).  Downside being that my German vocabulary now centers around romantic drama and supernatural action sequences.

A Lebanese Armenian friend of mine claims that he primarily learned English by reading Dungeons & Dragons novels in Beirut.  I think pop culture is an under-valued way of learning languages.  People always want to start out with high literature, like reading Thomas Mann or Dostoevsky in the author's original language, which is a huge hurdle.  Reminds me of the joke that Immanuel Kant is artificially comprehensible in translation.  Or the old Islamist joke, "I'll get around to reading Wansbrough after somebody first translates his works into English."
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1225 - November 29, 2016, 08:04 PM

Btw, if you are interested in Ethiopian Studies, Manfred Kropp is an incredible scholar in that area.  Ethiopian history is some of the most interesting history there is ...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1226 - November 29, 2016, 08:08 PM

A Lebanese Armenian friend of mine claims that he primarily learned English by reading Dungeons & Dragons novels in Beirut.  I think pop culture is an under-valued way of learning languages.  People always want to start out with high literature, like reading Thomas Mann or Dostoevsky in the author's original language, which is a huge hurdle.  Reminds me of the joke that Immanuel Kant is artificially comprehensible in translation.

Agreed. I learned a good deal of my Arabic by watching children's cartoons with my son. Grin

Ethiopian history is some of the most interesting history there is ...

Agreed as well.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1227 - November 29, 2016, 08:36 PM

Ethiopian history is some of the most interesting history there is ...

This looks interesting:

George Hatke - Aksum and Nubia: Warfare, Commerce, and Political Fictions in Ancient Northeast Africa

http://dlib.nyu.edu/awdl/isaw/hatke2013-aksum-and-nubia/

Hatke's dissertation was on Aksumite relations with Himyar in the sixth century but unfortunately this isn't freely available online.
    In place of a “Great Game” theory that explains Red Sea history in terms of the Romano-Sāsānid conflict, this dissertation posits that Kālēb simply sought to establish Aksumite supremacy on both sides of the sea, and that he used both religious and irredentist rhetoric to justify what was nothing more than a war of Aksumite expansion into South Arabia. The evidence for the use of religious rhetoric survives in Syriac texts as well as in Ge‘ez inscriptions erected by the Aksumites themselves, in which Kālēb's invasions of Himyar are compared to the Israelite invasions of Canaan or are said to be inspired by religious zeal.
    By emphasizing the role of politics and ideologies specific to the sixth-century Red Sea region, this dissertation seeks to give credit to non-western Christendom—in this case Ethiopia—in shaping the geopolitical map of Arabia on the eve of Islam.

I wonder if there are parallels here, in terms of religious rhetoric about conquest, with Qur'anic references to Moses.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1228 - November 30, 2016, 06:47 PM

There are indeed parallels and Hatke is a very interesting scholar.  Here is a clip from my draft article on Q 112 that discusses this point (and cites Hatke for it).

"Abraha’s Christianity evidently derived from a new Syriac-based source.   By his death around 560 C.E., Abraha had brought much of the Arabian peninsula under his power, including Yathrib.  He continued the project undertaken by Kālēb, the Axumite king, to build a new Christianized holy land in the peninsula, building churches and celebrating the Christian victory over the Jews.   Yet Abraha failed to build unity with the (at least nominally) Christian factions of the northern regions.  “Consequently, a truly Christian empire in Arabia never formed."

You might conceptualize the rise of quranic theology as filling the NW Arabian vacuum that was left by the *failure* of Abraha's imperial Christianizing project, which did not succeed in imposing orthodoxy on the forms of popular Christianity-derived devotional practice that had spread from the north into the Hijaz (and which Abraha's own Christianity seems to have been derived from, or at least attempted to align itself with, shifting away from the Ge'ez/Greek Christianity of his precedessor).  The 'restore the Holy Land' ideology mutated in peripheral isolation, as Byzantine and South Arabian political influence was never strong enough to impose Christian orthodoxy in the region.

Carlos Segovia seems to have something like this scenario in mind, and I think there is a great deal to be said for it.  It is a commonplace that the weakness of Byzantine and Persian presence helped Islam emerge, but not much attention is paid regarding how the 6th century South Arabian context played into this ... partly, I suppose, a problem of sources, in that so few scholars know much about pre-Islamic South Arabia.  Secondarily, the relation between Ethiopic/South Arabian influence and the Qur'an is very complicated, since the Qur'an looks decisively 'northern' and Syrian in its theology and lexicon, and yet much of its opposition and some of its assimilated ideology (e.g. the divine name Rahman in the Second Meccan surahs) looks South Arabian.  Insofar as the Qur'an militates against Christianity, it often seems to be militating against a corrupted South Arabian-ish Christianity (hence Ethiopic terms in quranic Arabic tend to center on foreign idolatry or the corruption of Christianity).  This shouldn't, historically, be surprising if we think these are Hijazi recitations, produced as northern Syriac Christianity penetrated southwards into the peninsula, but the ideology of a founding prophet who makes radical changes to his pagan society is so pervasive that the broader historical evolution can be overlooked.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #1229 - November 30, 2016, 06:58 PM

Btw, this also hooks into the earliest Arabic script inscription discussed earlier in this thread -- the concept of a pure, martyr-driven Syriac/Arabic Christianity from the north, with its believers being corrupted and oppressed by the imperial jackasses in South Arabia.  Further, this explains why something like Q 105 would have become popular among early believers, since South Arabia was long associated with foreign-backed imperial oppression.
  • Previous page 1 ... 39 40 4142 43 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »