Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Paris Opera Ejects Woman Wearing Veil

(Read 2145 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Paris Opera Ejects Woman Wearing Veil
     OP - October 26, 2014, 01:12 AM

A woman has been ejected from the Opera Bastille for wearing a full face veil.

France banned anyone from wearing clothing which covered the face in 2011, arguing that face-coverings prevent the clear identification of a person, which is both a security risk, and a social hindrance within a society which relies on facial recognition and expression in communication.

The woman, who was said to have been from the ‘Gulf area’ was sitting with a male companion at a performance of La Traviata on the front row of the theatre on October 3rd.

The woman was sitting just behind the conductor and visible on the monitors and caught the attention of theatre officials who noticed that her veil was covering her nose and mouth.

"I was alerted in the second act,” said Jean-Philippe Thiellay, the institute’s deputy director. "Some performers said they did not want to sing” if something was not done, according to Le Monde.

“[The official] told her that in France there is a ban of this nature, asked her to either uncover her face or leave the room. The man asked the woman to get up, they left,” Thiellay said.

"It's never nice to ask someone to leave... But there was a misunderstanding of the law and the lady either had to respect it or leave,” he said.

France brought in the law in 2011 banning anyone from wearing clothing that conceals the face in a public space, or face a EUR150 fine. The law does not just apply to face veils - although it was believed that the controversial covering was the inspiration behind the law - but to anything which covers the face including masks and motor cycle helmets.

The fine for covering one’s face in public is relatively low, with the legislation reserving the main punishment for people who force another to cover their face. There is a fine of up to €30,000 and one year in prison for anyone who forces (by violence, threats or by abuse of power) another to wear face coverings; these penalties may be doubled if the victim is under 18.

The only exceptions to a woman wearing a niqab in public is if she is travelling in a private car or worshiping in a religious place.

The wearing of religious symbols in public schools was banned in 2004 by ‘the French law on secularity and conspicuous religious symbols in schools’. This covered all religions and included bans on turbans and crucifix pendants.

The law was challenged and taken to the European Court of Human Rights which upheld the French law on 1 July 2014, accepting the argument of the French government that the law was based on "a certain idea of living together”

France's Ministry of Culture said a bill was currently being drafted to remind theatres, museums and other public institutions under its supervision of the rules regarding veils.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/20/French-Opera-Face-Veil

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799981/woman-thrown-paris-opera-cast-refused-perform-unless-removed-muslim-veil.html
     Reply #1 - October 26, 2014, 02:02 AM

I heard about that. It was a shitty thing to do, but at the same time I wonder if that was the point? I imagine she knew she was breaking the law. Maybe she was taking a stand?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - October 26, 2014, 07:35 AM

A woman has been ejected from the Opera Bastille for wearing a full face veil.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/20/French-Opera-Face-Veil

well that link says

1).  France banned anyone from wearing clothing which covered the face in 2011, arguing that face-coverings prevent the clear identification of a person, which is both a security risk, and a social hindrance within a society which relies on facial recognition and expression in communication.

2).  France brought in the law in 2011 banning anyone from wearing clothing that conceals the face in a public space, or face a EUR150 fine. The law does not just apply to face veils - although it was believed that the controversial covering was the inspiration behind the law - but to anything which covers the face including masks and motor cycle helmets.

3). The fine for covering one’s face in public is relatively low, with the legislation reserving the main punishment for people who force another to cover their face. There is a fine of up to €30,000 and one year in prison for anyone who forces (by violence, threats or by abuse of power) another to wear face coverings; these penalties may be doubled if the victim is under 18.

The only exceptions to a woman wearing a niqab in public is if she is travelling in a private car or worshiping in a religious place.  The wearing of religious symbols in public schools was banned in 2004 by ‘the French law on secularity and conspicuous religious symbols in schools’. This covered all religions and included bans on turbans and crucifix pendants.

good to keep a note of that.....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - October 26, 2014, 07:55 AM

Niqab provokes a lot of people,even Muslims. Sometimes I think the ban is for those on the street who get provoked, rather than niqab wearers.
     Reply #4 - October 26, 2014, 08:13 AM

Well there's, what, 5 million muslims in France? Only about a thousand wear the veil.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #5 - October 26, 2014, 08:55 AM

Women wearing face veils are in the minority, but I've noticed people tend to under-estimate the numbers. In Sweden, both Muslim and non-Muslim groups estimated it to be around 250 women. I can say for sure that just in my city you have at least around a hundred. Anyway, that's not important because the niqab would be a problem even if it was 1000 or just 10 individuals wearing it.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #6 - October 26, 2014, 09:34 AM

I think that all those who wear niqab are concentrated to certain cities,its already the case for muslims, I suspect that's even more true for salafists of which the niqabis belong to. And even in those cities, all niqabis maybe concentrated to a handful of suburbs in the whole country.
     Reply #7 - October 26, 2014, 09:57 AM

How many niqabis who aren't salafist?

Reply #8 - October 26, 2014, 10:06 AM

I don't have any figures, but think that all (or almost all) niqabis who live in the west are salafist.There maybe a few exceptions...but thats generally how I see it. That's if they're freely wearing it.
     Reply #9 - October 26, 2014, 12:23 PM

Even if I am against the niqab, I disagree with the French law, I find that it is counterproductive and goes against the freedom.

Anyway, it is really a disproportionate reaction on behalf of the comedians, it is sad to get to this point. It is to the law enforcement to ensure that the law is respected, not people whose job is to provide a cultural service.
     Reply #10 - October 26, 2014, 01:30 PM

Even if I am against the niqab, I disagree with the French law, I find that it is counterproductive and goes against the freedom.

Anyway, it is really a disproportionate reaction on behalf of the comedians, it is sad to get to this point. It is to the law enforcement to ensure that the law is respected, not people whose job is to provide a cultural service.

Against the freedom? The freedom to conceal your identity? I never got this argument. I agree with both reasons stated at the beginning of this thread, not only is it a minor-huge security risk depending on how far you can go with a mask concealing your identity, it is also also extremely uncomfortable to be around people constantly wearing masks, divine or otherwise, as well as it being absolutely humiliating(to me) to talk to someone in a niqab.

أشهد أن لا إله
     Reply #11 - October 26, 2014, 02:55 PM

I agree to some extent with the first reason stated at the beginning more for the social hindrance within a society.

There's not only the niqab, there's also the traditional veil, the kippas, the turbans and crucifix which are forbidden at the public school.

Somebody who wears the niqab is excluded having an enriching social life, make wonderful meeting, to completely participate to a rich citizen life, such a person is already imprisoned.

I do not know where you live xtremestr but I can assert that such law would be almost impossible in Britain or in USA, nevertheless they are countries who advocates the freedom in its paroxysm.
     Reply #12 - October 26, 2014, 03:07 PM

I wonder what effects these laws have had in France. Salafists usually promote the idea that women should go outside only when there's a need and they also believe that the husband can order his wife to stay home. What does this do to women with niqab?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »