Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: intro - ex muslim

(Read 4421 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • intro - ex muslim
     OP - October 18, 2014, 01:08 AM

Hi everyone, (I don't know if this just be in the introduction or bio thread so sorry in advance)

I've been lurking on this is site on and off for about a year and a half now and have been an ex Muslim for about 2. There have been many introductions that I have read that express the same views as me so most of this will probably sound the same to you but lately I have been having an urge to shout out that I'm no longer a believer in Allah or any  other supernatural being. I don't know why but its been building up inside of me and i think that doing this introduction will allow me to discuss some of my views, allow me to openly say "I no longer believe in this bullshit" and be around some sane people who actually think using their brains.

Well, I'm a 22 year old Male British Pakistani from Yorkshire. I have never been super religious but have always believed in a Allah. I have never really prayed expect for maybe Eid prayers but even then I only copied the actions. I don't think I can even recite all the proper words for the prayers and can remember many occasions where I have made up own words or sung a song in my head. I did attend mosque when I was younger but that was just like a chore, I never really learnt anything and what i did learn, I most likely have forgotten now. (just off topic, i have gone through what i have just typed and think this is going to be a long one, sorry for that in advance but i think expressing my views will allow me to vent out some of my frustration of being a 'closet ex-Muslim'"

I think at the age if 17, I became slightly more religious due to the fact that most of my friends were Muslims,but still never really prayed or did anything that most other Muslims would do like fasting (interestingly, I have never kept a full fast in my entire life, i don't understand the need to torture and harm yourself so god is happy with you). However it was a strange phase for me, because i remember watching Ahmed ditat videos on YouTube and being motivated to become more religious (but that never happened, thank god) and being interested in the return of muslim jesus and imam mehdi.

I think what allowed me to break away from the chains of this cult like religion was my love for science especially space and the possibility of other life forms on distant planets and moons. I think science gave me the ability to question everything and to not just accept things just because people say its true. I have always been a believer of evolution and found it very hard to accept any religious bullshit of how we magically got here.
    I was also influenced by Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris. I remember watching hours and hours of YouTube videos of these legends debating some religious fool and absolutely destroying them, when I first realized i was no longer a Muslim.

I think that even though i called myself a Muslim, I was never really one and just tried to be like everyone else i knew.
    (bloody hell, I've just had a magical moment where my brain has connected some dots.) I think that most Muslims my age only be Muslims because at a young age they have been told not to mingle with khaffir which stops them from broadening their minds. so all they know are other Muslims who believe the same shit and in turn makes them want to believe the same shit so they can fit in. I think this is a major problem in Pakistani communities across England. We don't mingle with people of other believes or ideas and therefore seclude ourselves from improving. There have been many times where close relatives have said they want to move to a better area but cant because there are less Muslims there. How stupid is that. anyways enough about that.

Anyway where was I?
    I learnt about this forum from a radio broadcast, the funny thing was, I was in the car with my religious uncle who was also listening to stories about some ex-Muslims in Britain and he was saying things like 'akstikfiralah' (have no idea how to spell it) and "all of them deserve to burn in hell forever". I love my family to bits but that is kinda fucked up because i would be part of that group as well and that all the good non-Muslims would be in there too.

Anyway I ended up here and been lurking ever since. Surprisingly I've learnt more about Islam surfing through the threads here then anywhere else and I'm so glad I've left this disgusting religion. However, I hate being a 'closet ex-muslim' and wish i could shout at the top of my lungs "fuck this shit, I'm not Muslim" but sadly i cant in fear of being kicked out by my loved ones. The strange thing is my mum is trying to get to pray (even though she doesnt pray herself) but I have been biting my tongue and trying not to say anything. I've been dropping subtle hints  such as saying why would god sent me to hell for not praying, isn't he supposed to be the most merciful? but i always get the same sort of response "he is but only if you pray"

I wish i could tell my family but i know it would break their hearts and i don't want to risk losing them as i love them so much. But I think I will have to sooner or later so i can be truly be free and start improving my life and living it to the fullest.

thanks. It feels so good letting some of it out.
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #1 - October 18, 2014, 01:19 AM

Always good to get things off your chest. Welcome to CEMB. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #2 - October 18, 2014, 01:43 AM

at a young age they have been told not to mingle with khaffir which stops them from broadening their minds. so all they know are other Muslims who believe the same shit and in turn makes them want to believe the same shit so they can fit in. I think this is a major problem in Pakistani communities across England. We don't mingle with people of other believes or ideas and therefore seclude ourselves from improving.

I'm white British (though not living in Britain), and I had no idea about this until relatively recently. You live a pluralistic life yourself, and naively assume others do too.

I wish this self-segregation was spoken of more, but people just don't want to know. It's hideously divisive for society, and undermines sincere efforts to create a diverse society by tacitly accepting that diversity is a one-way street.
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #3 - October 18, 2014, 02:36 AM

I don't think I can even recite all the proper words for the prayers and can remember many occasions where I have made up own words or sung a song in my head.

Cheesy

Reminds me of when we used to go to Al Masjid Al Nawabi in Saudi Arabia for prayer(ugh specially in ramadan, can you imagine spending 5+ hours just walking around the mosque and 'praying'?) and I used to spend all that mosque time theorycrafting, in my head, builds for my RPG characters, it was much more fun than listening to the Gomaa prayer speech about defeating 'Al ummah al kafira'.

I hope that now that you've UNVEILED yourself(hah! get it? because hijab.) I hope you'll take more time engaging in the discussions as you see fit.

Oh, and obviously welcome.parrot

أشهد أن لا إله
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #4 - October 18, 2014, 05:42 AM

Whats up man! Just met another Pakistani ex muslim irl the other day.

Hope you enjoy your time here!  parrot

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #5 - October 18, 2014, 06:20 AM

Hey welcome, glad you chose to say hi.

I'm from where you are. In fact, I probably lived on your street, next door to you. Btw, I'm the cool, good looking one that has moved out a long time ago, but occasionally comes back to check on his family. You should say hi next time you see me?

I'd say you're best continuing to bite your tongue for now. Make other excuses not to pray and not to be more religious. Tell them you are learning more about Islam, for instance, and one day you will dive in. Dishonest, I know, but it will buy you time. All the while, work on your independence. That is your ticket to a free mind. And one day, I want you to buy a house where I live now, so you can be next door to me again. People here don't judge you so much about your race or your religion, but more about the person that you are. I think you'd like it here.

Hi
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #6 - October 18, 2014, 02:01 PM

woo, Yorkshire!
    Welcome  parrot

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #7 - October 18, 2014, 02:29 PM

Welcome Smiley

Yes, I had that "shout from a mountain" urge. Might be better to resist it though - can cause a lot of problems lol.
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #8 - October 18, 2014, 09:29 PM

Hello!! Welcome! I am from up north also Smiley, went to uni in Yorkshire! Have a parrot Smileyparrot
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #9 - October 18, 2014, 10:39 PM

Welcome. I can totally feel and agree with u except i opened my eyes and brain at a later age than u. I stopped believing ages ago but like u say family etc r a bond that stops us totally speaking our minds altho as i have got older alot of my family kind of know i dont believe in their fairytales and bullcrap. Btw i am from yorkshire too from Huddersfield.

"Question with boldness even the existence of God...because...if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear"...Thomas Jefferson
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #10 - October 19, 2014, 02:46 AM

parrot
    Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #11 - October 19, 2014, 08:39 AM

Welcome to the forum, NoIdea Smiley

I don't think I can even recite all the proper words for the prayers and can remember many occasions where I have made up own words or sung a song in my head.

I do that too when forced into group prayer with my family  dance

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #12 - October 20, 2014, 06:51 AM

Hi Noldea, welcome from another Pakistani ex-muslim. I too was kept from mixing with kaffir and it wasn't until I left home under extremely traumatic cirumstances that I realised that the kaffir were the only people prepared to help me.

The same kaffir who hold rallies in support of muslim people around the world and send aid to those refugees affected by the outcome of Islamic dictatorships.Race or religion do not decide a person's goodness, it's their own humanity. You've got your whole life ahead of you. Do what you want with it  Smiley
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #13 - October 20, 2014, 08:58 AM

Hi Noldea,

Welcome to the forum parrot

Reading your story I can tell that you certainly aren't the only one.

Smiley

The same kaffir who hold rallies in support of muslim people around the world and send aid to those refugees affected by the outcome of Islamic dictatorships.Race or religion do not decide a person's goodness, it's their own humanity. You've got your whole life ahead of you. Do what you want with it  Smiley

Aaaaaw thanks mini-me far away hug

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #14 - October 20, 2014, 06:14 PM

Hello Noldea,

Welcome to the forum.

parrot

Take care

Smiley

Every true faith is infallible. It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search - Neitchze
  • intro - ex muslim
     Reply #15 - October 22, 2014, 05:16 PM

Thank you all for the nice welcome.

Feels great to let it out.  parrot

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »