Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Sweden, the Left, and Islamism

(Read 5628 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Sweden, the Left, and Islamism
     OP - October 16, 2014, 09:56 PM

Social democrat calls out an Islamist promoted by the Greens and the Left into government.

Same old story

++++++

Muslim minister accused of 'hidden agenda'

The Local/og | 14 Oct 2014, 12:15

A former Swedish MP has slammed Sweden's new Housing Minister Mehmet Kaplan, saying that the Muslim politician has a hidden agenda.

Social Democrat politician Nalin Pekgul went on the attack against Mehmet Kaplan from the Green Party (Miljöpartiet) in a debate article in one of Sweden's leading broadsheets.

Her piece in the Dagens Industri newspaper was prompted by a statement Kaplan made to the Turkish media, in which he claimed that the reason young Muslims are joining the terror group Isis is because of widespread Islamophobia in Europe.

Kaplan, who is Sweden's new Housing Minister, argued that the government should give more money to Europe's mosques in an effort to tackle the recruitment.

But Pekgul suggested that young people were signing up because they felt lost or rootless and that Islamist extremists were taking advantage of their vulnerability.

"It's unforgivably naive to think that giving money to these kinds of [Muslim] organizations and mosques will work against segregation and will reach out to these youths who are being radicalized," she wrote.

"It's exactly this kind of naivety that people like Mehmet Kaplan are counting on, and it's time for everyone who wants to oppose the radicalization to realize the damage Mehmet Kaplan and others like him can accomplish."

Kaplan previously hit the headlines after he compared Swedish jihadists in Syria to Swedish freedom fighters in Finland during World War Two.

He later apologized and said his comments had been misinterpreted.

But in today's article, Social Democrat politician Nalin Pekgul wrote:

"I'm convinced that he said exactly what he meant to say".

Kaplan, a 43-year-old born in Turkey, is a former spokesperson for the Muslim Council of Sweden. He has been a member of the Green Party since 2003.

"For fear of being labelled as an Islamophobe, no one dares question Mehmet Kaplan and his hidden agenda," added Pekgul.

She also drew comparisons between Kaplan and Jimmie Åkesson, the leader of the nationalist Sweden Democrat party.

"Jimmie Åkesson has claimed time and time again that he isn't racist and that he actually doesn't have anything against immigrants, rather that he just wants to reduce the volume of immigrants.

Similarly, Mehmet Kaplan says that he supports equality between the genders, but there are few secular muslims who'd believe that he wasn't an Islamist."

The word Islamist is a controversial one and some media outlets have been criticized for using it as a synonym for Islamic fighters or extremists.

The term broadly refers to those who want a country's government and society to operate in accordance with Islamic laws, which do not promote egalitarianism.

It is unclear how Nalin Pekgul intended her phrasing to be interpreted.

In her article, she also wrote that with Kaplan in government, Sweden's Green Party heads Gustav Fridolin and Åsa Romson "have sent a clear signal to Sweden's muslims that the Islamists now have the support of the Swedish establishment".

http://m.thelocal.se/20141014/former-swedish-mp-calls-minister-an-islamist

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #1 - October 19, 2014, 06:59 AM

Social Democrat politician Nalin Pekgul went on the attack against Mehmet Kaplan from the Green Party (Miljöpartiet) in a debate article in one of Sweden's leading broadsheets.

Nalin Pekgul is Muslim, by the way. But she is also Kurdish (and Swedish, obviously).

Her piece in the Dagens Industri newspaper was prompted by a statement Kaplan made to the Turkish media, in which he claimed that the reason young Muslims are joining the terror group Isis is because of widespread Islamophobia in Europe.

Kaplan, who is Sweden's new Housing Minister, argued that the government should give more money to Europe's mosques in an effort to tackle the recruitment.

He was probably calling for the Turkish government to give more money. Turkey funds mosques across the world and ships Turkish-educated imams there, which are Turkish state employees and subject to the Turkish nationalistic policy, influencing local Turkish communities (Turkish voters) and the public debate in the host country. One (the only?) good thing about them is that they preach a uniformly staunch anti-radical Islam. And that they can be female too however those only lead women in prayer.

"For fear of being labelled as an Islamophobe, no one dares question Mehmet Kaplan and his hidden agenda," added Pekgul.

BOOM HEADSHOT

Mehmet Kaplan is a creep and Nalin Pekgul is spot on. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

EDIT:
    The picture which was here was not of Mehmet Kaplan, but of Sayed Jalabi, one of the main persons of Swedish Hizb ut Tahrir. Hanna Gadban has removed her tweet so I have removed the picture as well.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #2 - October 19, 2014, 07:10 AM

The problem I have with Pekgul is that she sometimes plays way too much on the fact that she's Muslim and her "understanding" of Islam. She doesn't know that much about the religion she identifies and it gets awkward at times in debates when she tries it. When the "hand shaking" farce happened, she started talking about fiqh wudu and hanafi... it has nothing to do with that. Who decides what "real" Islam is? Not Pekgul, that's for sure.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #3 - October 19, 2014, 07:37 AM

You Ex-Mooses have high standards!

That's gross and racist! finmad

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #4 - October 19, 2014, 10:33 AM

Who decides what "real" Islam is? Not Pekgul, that's for sure.

I think that is a very good question. Perhaps Pekgul hasn't studied the scriptures, but on the other hand she has her experience of islam from a traditional cultural context, so why can't she speak about islam as well as anyone else. If anyone thinks she's wrong, then they are free to speak out.

I think if anyone has deeper knowledge about islam and the scriptures of islam, they should enlighten us all. Perhaps Pekgul has some things wrong, but she is right on criticising certain people in the political realm of our society.

Actually, there are so many different muslims and so many different kinds of islam, and everybody claims to have proofs, legitimate arguments for their kind of islam, if they are sunni, shia, ikhwani, sufi, ahmadiya, quraniya, modern, traditonal etc.

What I really don't like in the Swedish debate about muslims is when some people start to talk about the muslim Civil society! There is absolutely no such thing as a muslim civil society, because muslims are so different from each other. Those people who represent various muslim organisation only represent those members of that organisation. They can never speak for all muslims in our society. If we start talking about a muslim civil society we can aswell start talking about stamp collectors civil society, or soccer players civil society,. Do we speak about that? Do we have special treatment or rules for people collecting stamps or playing soccer? To me that's the same thing, religion is a private matter.

People should not be discriminated for belonging to a specific religion or collecting stamps or what ever. But in our hopefully open, democratic society we should be able to discuss ideas such as if the quraan is actually from god or not, or the problems of huliganism in soccer.
    The problem is, as soon anyone starts question ideas in the quraan, people very quickly starts shouting "islamophobe".

The good question: What is true islam and who has the right to define what's the right version of islam?
     Reply #5 - October 19, 2014, 01:45 PM

The issue I have with Pekgul is that she rightfully criticizes Islamism and certain types of Islam, but at the same time tries to argue that this or that isn't real Islam, or good Islam.

And ditto about the "Muslim civil society", it's usually undercover Islamists who use it. Like what's his name pseudo intelectual on iEra's paycheck, and other Swedish politicians.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #6 - October 20, 2014, 05:54 PM

Update: The picture I posted from Hanna Gadban in my post higher up allegedly showing Mehmet Kaplan was not correct, so I have removed it. It showed Sayed Jabari of Swedish Hizb ut Tahrir and not Mehmet Kaplan.

Hanna Gadban has deleted her tweet as well.

Reply #7 - October 20, 2014, 07:00 PM

I still haven't made up my mind about Hanna Gadban, but it sure is refreshing having someone confront sensetive issues like she does. She is still a "Muslim feminist", though Roll Eyes

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »