Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Newbie! Here's my story.

(Read 3865 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Newbie! Here's my story.
     OP - October 13, 2014, 09:45 PM

Well I've been lurking for a while now so I thought I should really stop being so rude and introduce myself!

I guess my story's a bit of an odd one seeing that I left Islam without really acknowledging that I had done so almost 10 years ago. I'm a half arab half british female, 26 years old and truly messed in the head from my fundamental islamic upbringing.

It started out all rosy according to my dear mum. My parents met in an '80's nightclub in London. He, like many Arab men do, let his hair down when he came to the UK from Jordan for university. He drank, had lady friends and wore quite un-modest looking short shorts. My parents got married after a few years of fornication and they eventually had me and my two sisters. My dad changed, blonde haired blue eyed western looking girls were not really what he expected or wanted. He would spend the next 17 years of my life ensuring that we were shielded from all the evils of un-islamic society. My kind, loving christian grandparents were 'zionists' so we were stopped from seeing them. We were forbidden from talking to other kids outside of school, reading, TV anything that 90s kids were doing...we weren't.

My father was both mentally and physically abusive toward my mother, after a few years in the UK he decided to move us all to Qatar on the pretence that we would be able to lead normal lives, leave the house, speak to other people and generally do normal things. This didn't happen. Locked up in a house with his controlling mum and him, we were sent to a predominantly arabic speaking school where we were laughed at, stared at and ridiculed for being white hijabis with a funny (some would say proper) English accent. After a few years abroad, my dad went away to Jordan, only to return with a young girl - only a few years older than my elder sister...a new wife. He told my mum that this woman would mean that he could have proper arab muslim children...possibly even a son (INSHA' ALLAH) and there was nothing she could do because it was legal. He threatened that if she tried to divorce him, he would kill her (after 20 odd years of his abuse she had no doubt that he would indeed kill her), or that he would have her deported and would marry us girls off. So my mum stayed. My dad divorced his wife and got a new one because the first one was a crazy bitch who did black magic on us all apparently (normal consensus would of course be that my sisters, mum and I were all suffering severe depression due to his insanity). Second wife number 2 was actually sweet, I felt quite sorry for her having to put up with the whole situation.

As I said before, we were all depressed. I attempted to OD on paracetamol but failed. I think this was a wake up call for my mum. We all snuck out on the pretence that we were going on holiday to the UK and never came back. He never tried to contact us and we never contacted him. Despite the fact that islam was forced on us kids and my mum, we dropped it...we never had a conversation about it...we just all stopped praying, stopped wearing our hijabs and blended into UK life...

I am not in a terrible predicament like many of the CEMB members, I've had the easy way out of islam and I understand that I've been tremendously lucky to have the support of my mother and sisters. Even so, I still feel scarred by my upbringing and this forum has brought me more comfort in the past month or so than I have found (sober) in a very long time.

Over the last few months I have been experiencing increasing guilt toward my rejection of Islam. I've been effectively brainwashing myself into believing again (I truly am my own worst enemy). I need to be around rational human beings who understand! Hence why I am here!  Smiley

Apologies for the ramble and how disorganised my thoughts are - I'm not the best at articulating myself so I thank you for reading!
     Reply #1 - October 13, 2014, 09:56 PM

Welcome - your account doesn't sound at all disorganised or inarticulate by the way.
     Reply #2 - October 13, 2014, 10:01 PM

Welcome to the forum, great to have you here  Smiley

My kind, loving christian grandparents were 'zionists' so we were stopped from seeing them

this is so sad and cruel ^^^

I hope you managed to re-connect with them

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - October 13, 2014, 10:01 PM

Welcome!
     Reply #4 - October 13, 2014, 10:09 PM

Welcome muse,

parrot

That is some nasty shit you and your family have went through all in the name of religion!!! mysmilie_977

Happy to have you here Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #5 - October 13, 2014, 10:20 PM

Jeezzz, everytime I read the introduction stories I feel so sorry that so many people have had such predicaments in life.  Welcome  parrot
     Reply #6 - October 13, 2014, 10:43 PM

Welcome & thanks for sharing your story. As I read it I began to think OMG I know who this family are, but then a detail in it showed me it is not the family I was thinking of - but hey, just goes to show - sadly - how often these things happen.

I hope you gals are over the depression now - it can be a bitch.

Glad you found us  far away hug
     Reply #7 - October 13, 2014, 10:50 PM

I'm glad all of your sisters and your mother made it out with you, I hope for you all the best moving forward in life! Oh, and welcome!

أشهد أن لا إله
     Reply #8 - October 14, 2014, 01:15 AM

Welcome. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #9 - October 14, 2014, 01:31 AM

(sober)

An unfortunate state.
     Reply #10 - October 14, 2014, 09:10 AM

Welcome to the forum muse Smiley

I am not in a terrible predicament like many of the CEMB members, I've had the easy way out of islam and I understand that I've been tremendously lucky to have the support of my mother and sisters. E

Don't downplay your suffering, I think you've had enough of that for a lifetime, judging from your story.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #11 - October 14, 2014, 09:37 AM

Thank you for the welcome everyone! Smiley

Welcome & thanks for sharing your story. As I read it I began to think OMG I know who this family are, but then a detail in it showed me it is not the family I was thinking of - but hey, just goes to show - sadly - how often these things happen.

I hope you gals are over the depression now - it can be a bitch.

Glad you found us  far away hug

I have changed two small details in my story for my own peace of mind, perhaps you do know us!?

We're still battling our demons but my mum is remarried to a lovely man who treats her like a queen and us girls all got through university and now have stable jobs.  Smiley
     Reply #12 - October 14, 2014, 09:46 AM

ِExcellent - I'm really glad to hear it. Sometimes the baggage can take a long time to deal with, as in my own case since I left Islam at a late age - hopefully you young-uns will bounce back  Afro
     Reply #13 - October 14, 2014, 08:50 PM

Welcome muse! It takes a lot of courage to overcome such trauma.  Afro

Your story shows how women can endure so much and yet still make a success of their lives. Don't let guilt defeat you now. There is only one guilty person in your story and he won't be feeling it.

Take care of each other and enjoy your lives. You've earned the right. Have a hug from me!  far away hug
     Reply #14 - October 14, 2014, 09:44 PM

Well I've been lurking for a while now so I thought I should really stop being so rude and introduce myself!

I guess my story's a bit of an odd one seeing that I left Islam without really acknowledging that I had done so almost 10 years ago. I'm a half arab half british female, 26 years old and truly messed in the head from my fundamental islamic upbringing.

It started out all rosy according to my dear mum. My parents met in an '80's nightclub in London. He, like many Arab men do, let his hair down when he came to the UK from Jordan for university. He drank, had lady friends and wore quite un-modest looking short shorts. My parents got married after a few years of fornication and they eventually had me and my two sisters. My dad changed, blonde haired blue eyed western looking girls were not really what he expected or wanted. He would spend the next 17 years of my life ensuring that we were shielded from all the evils of un-islamic society. My kind, loving christian grandparents were 'zionists' so we were stopped from seeing them. We were forbidden from talking to other kids outside of school, reading, TV anything that 90s kids were doing...we weren't.

My father was both mentally and physically abusive toward my mother, after a few years in the UK he decided to move us all to Qatar on the pretence that we would be able to lead normal lives, leave the house, speak to other people and generally do normal things. This didn't happen. Locked up in a house with his controlling mum and him, we were sent to a predominantly arabic speaking school where we were laughed at, stared at and ridiculed for being white hijabis with a funny (some would say proper) English accent. After a few years abroad, my dad went away to Jordan, only to return with a young girl - only a few years older than my elder sister...a new wife. He told my mum that this woman would mean that he could have proper arab muslim children...possibly even a son (INSHA' ALLAH) and there was nothing she could do because it was legal. He threatened that if she tried to divorce him, he would kill her (after 20 odd years of his abuse she had no doubt that he would indeed kill her), or that he would have her deported and would marry us girls off. So my mum stayed. My dad divorced his wife and got a new one because the first one was a crazy bitch who did black magic on us all apparently (normal consensus would of course be that my sisters, mum and I were all suffering severe depression due to his insanity). Second wife number 2 was actually sweet, I felt quite sorry for her having to put up with the whole situation.

As I said before, we were all depressed. I attempted to OD on paracetamol but failed. I think this was a wake up call for my mum. We all snuck out on the pretence that we were going on holiday to the UK and never came back. He never tried to contact us and we never contacted him. Despite the fact that islam was forced on us kids and my mum, we dropped it...we never had a conversation about it...we just all stopped praying, stopped wearing our hijabs and blended into UK life...

I am not in a terrible predicament like many of the CEMB members, I've had the easy way out of islam and I understand that I've been tremendously lucky to have the support of my mother and sisters. Even so, I still feel scarred by my upbringing and this forum has brought me more comfort in the past month or so than I have found (sober) in a very long time.

Over the last few months I have been experiencing increasing guilt toward my rejection of Islam. I've been effectively brainwashing myself into believing again (I truly am my own worst enemy). I need to be around rational human beings who understand! Hence why I am here!  Smiley

Apologies for the ramble and how disorganised my thoughts are - I'm not the best at articulating myself so I thank you for reading!

Welcome in! Welcome to the family, only just saw this now as have been away for the weekend.

You have been through so much! Do not feel guilty or like you should go back to Islam.

We have your back!
     Reply #15 - October 15, 2014, 02:01 AM

Welcome. parrot

I cannot imagine what you've been through. If you're scared of guilting yourself into going back, read the ridiculous/cruel stuff in the Qur'an and hadith and hang out here with us.

My favourite hadith is this one because it shows Mohammad's true nature and the intellectual capacity of his arguments:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Once Allah's Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) o 'Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women)." They asked, "Why is it so, O Allah's Apostle ?" He replied, "You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you." The women asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?" He said, "Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?" They replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?" The women replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in her religion."
    Sahih Bukhari 1:6:301

Notice the circular reasoning in this. Why are women stupid? Because two women's testimony equals one man. Why is that? Because women are stupid.

And Islam depends on the testimony of this man.

It is unfortunate that this teaching harmed you and your family.
     Reply #16 - October 15, 2014, 09:20 AM

Take care of each other and enjoy your lives. You've earned the right. Have a hug from me!  far away hug

Thank you all for your kind welcomes  Smileyfar away hug

paul_tarsus, this is exactly what I need! I know in my heart it would be ridiculous to go back. I need to read more hadith because you're right, a great deal of them are pretty shocking. Thank you for showing me that one, I can't believe some of them even got recorded, surely no one can agree with it?

thnkyu
     Reply #17 - October 15, 2014, 10:39 PM

If no one agreed with the hadiths they'd be a lot less turmoil in the islamic world.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #18 - October 16, 2014, 12:29 AM

hi.

That was very well written and coherent. I'm not deliberately being facetious, but that sounds like it would make a good film. Has a happy ending too.
     Reply #19 - October 16, 2014, 10:33 AM

That's sweet  Smiley
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »