Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello, I am an ex-muslim lesbian!

(Read 4094 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello, I am an ex-muslim lesbian!
     OP - October 13, 2014, 09:12 PM

I've been delaying writing a post of my own for weeks because I honestly did not know what to say and of course I'm not mentioning the fact that it took me a week to find the 'new topic' button. Stupid me Cry Anyway, I finally found the courage to write something and hopeful get some advice from people! Also sorry in advance for this being poorly written, I was very emotional!

Rant:
    So I am a lesbian ex-muslim still living in the closest in my parents' house! I originally came out to myself as bisexual in May/June of 2014 and came out to my best friend shortly after.  At this point I was still very Muslim and I thought that I could somehow manage being both Muslim and half-'gay'. I thought that I would just choose to ignore my 'gayness' and that I could still marry a nice MUSLIM guy. I thought that there was no need to tell my parents because I could just choose to act only on my straight side and that just because I was a bisexual didn't mean I had to actually 'be' one. Oh how wrong I was! I participated in gay bashing at home and was the most homophobic person there was because I was trying to literally pray the gay away. I watched Islamic lecture after lecture and reading about how being gay was a choice and that I could choose not to be one. I also went as far as to believe in a diagnose of a type of OCD where someone who is heterosexual starts to believe that they are homosexual and all of the symptoms fit with me completely (I will have you know that I now know that I am not). At first the name calling and pure hatred my family had for 'the homosexuals' did not effect me because somewhere in my head I built a wall between me and them. At first this wall was very resilient and protected me well but somewhere between the 10th or 20th time homosexuals were mentioned around the house it began to hurt. I slowly came to the realization that I was them and they were me. I was part of the lgbt community whether I wanted to pretend I wasn't or not. That's when I started to question my religion!

Writing about how I left Islam is just too long a story that happened over such a short period of time. Of course, I still have many Islamic teachings that I still hold very dear to my heart (such as being good to your neighbour and feeding the poor) because I believe that some of those teachings just make a person a better human being. However, I am still choosing to leave the religion for some obvious reasons and some not so obvious ones. I was listening to a TED radio podcast a few months ago and the speaker, Zak Ebrahim mentioned something his mother said to him once that literally made me stop mid-stride when I was crossing a street. She said, "I am tired of hating people,". In that moment I realized why Islam was not the religion for me. I too was tired of hating people. I was tired of hating myself for being a lesbian, I was tired of hating the non-Muslim side of my best friend, I was tired of hating the philosophies of many of the philosophers that didn't fit into the Islamic ideology when deep-down I actually agreed with them and most of all I was tired of hating the eclipse (not a person I know) when I love astronomy so much. Of course not all Muslims are the Muslim I was but I hated the hateful me that Islam made me. Islam may work for my parents and many others but Islam definitely isn't and never will be a religion that I can be apart of. After going through this journey of self discovery I can say that I truly feel liberated. Leaving Islam and acknowledging to myself that I am a lesbian and that it's okay to be who I am feels so good. I feel so happy. So free!

P.S.
    Yes, I was one of those with one foot in the closet at the time. Of course after a few months I knew that I was just denying that I was in fact more of a lesbian than I was a bisexual. Anyone who has ever questioned their sexuality would know that labels are there to confuse you more and that sometimes you don't fit into them completely. But for the sake of using labels to help others understand me better I am a lesbian. After coming out to a larger group of close friends most have said that they already had a feeling that I was not straight. I don't know what they saw but whatever it was, they were right.

Advice:
    I am planning to come out to my parents in the summer of 2015 (may change). My family are very conservative muslims and the ways of Muhammad is reflected in their every step (every female in the family including myself wears the hijab). But I also like to think that my mother is very open-minded which is contradictory I know. My family mean the world to me and that's why telling them the truth will hurt them that much more. But I have to live my life for myself even though everyday I am tempted to live in this closet forever. As for my finance situation, I have some money saved up from loans for school (which may now be taken away) that I wanted to use for the first few months of rent. I will be 21 years old and starting my last year of college in the fall of 2015 and will be getting another loan enough to cover my living expenses and school tuition. Of course, I plan to get a job immediately and work during the school year. Also that summer I will be working as an intern (with pay) for a firm in May until the end of August. I am also trying to keep in mind that my whole world will be thrown upside down both emotionally and physically and that I would need to adapt to my new reality. I have also never lived on my own so that will be a first for me. But I want to move on with the next stage of my life without having to hide who I really am. Also the sooner my parents know the less heartache we both have to endure. I would like to rip the bandaid off please! So please if you have any advice at all do share. I would love to hear a different perspective on my situation.

Thank you so much for reading!  thnkyu Finally getting all my feelings in writing felt so good! And sharing my story with all of you after stalking different posts is an even more amazing feeling!
     Reply #1 - October 13, 2014, 09:17 PM

welcome to the forum  Afro great to have you here

You're amongst friends here. We can all relate to your situation. Thank you for sharing it.

best to come out of the closet when you're clear of any problems that may be caused independance wise. but your determination is very impressive  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - October 13, 2014, 09:24 PM

Thank you so much! thnkyu thnkyu thnkyu

I will try my best to not be impulsive in my decision making when the time comes and objectively look for anything that may make the transition to independence any harder than it already is.
     Reply #3 - October 13, 2014, 09:25 PM

Welcome in!  parrot

Lots of info there to read through.

Don't rush and plan things carefully and discuss it all here beforehand to keep you safe.

far away hug to you!

Also come to the chat below in my siggy if you want, sometimes is very busy!
     Reply #4 - October 13, 2014, 09:30 PM

Welcome, minaness. We have quite a few gay members who can share your experience. In fact I have always thought that losing your faith in Islam is a bit like discovering you're gay. Many here are still in the 'closet'.

Hope you enjoy your stay here  far away hug
     Reply #5 - October 13, 2014, 09:32 PM

Welcome, minaness. We have quite a few gay members who can share your experience. In fact I have always thought that losing your faith in Islam is a bit like discovering you're gay. Many here are still in the 'closet'.

Yup, the language is very similar isn't it?
     Reply #6 - October 13, 2014, 09:35 PM

Welcome! Glad to have you here!  parrot
     Reply #7 - October 13, 2014, 09:38 PM

Hi Minaness,

Customary welcome parrot for you parrot

I enjoyed reading your introduction. A bit of a roller coaster you have been on the last half year it seems.

Welcome to the CEMB community Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #8 - October 13, 2014, 09:59 PM

That darn new topic button gets me on literally any forum I have ever been on.

The others have already lectured you enough about not being impulsive, so I'm just gonna say welcome, and here's your parrot parrot!

أشهد أن لا إله
     Reply #9 - October 13, 2014, 10:04 PM

A pink faced parrot for you  parrot  Wink
    I hope everything will turn out good for you.
     Reply #10 - October 14, 2014, 01:08 AM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #11 - October 14, 2014, 03:52 AM

I was looking for a post I made to another member, finally found it. I hope there's something useful in it for you.

As I don't know your family and their cultural background I'll do my best to be general.

Coming out is your choice. This is a big thing and you need to focus on yourself in this situation. Coming out won't be as simple as saying "Hey mum and dad, I don't think islam's true, I'm not a muslim anymore. What's for dinner?" If your family is close then they will expect to be there and be involved for the big moments in your life, but the time and place has to be of your own choosing, and who you tell is completely up to you. Don't place yourself in a vulnerable position. I understand wanting to tell the truth and be honest but don't let one thing override another.

People can surprise you. This may go a lot smoother in the long run than you think, but the most likely outcome is that your family will feel it's an attack on them, not that you're simply unconvinced of the truth of a religion. It's a hugely stressful thing for most people and it's something that will likely go on for a while. and something you will have to repeat to them many times. They may also hope it's a phase and look for signs that you're still a believer. Sort of like if a bisexual comes out to their parents and they have a partner of the same sex, that relationship doesn't work out and their next partner is the opposite sex, the reaction can be "See? I knew it was just a phase."

As I said before, most likely they will see this as an attack on them rather than a new chapter in your own life and personal journey. "I don't have anything against muslims, you're my family and I love you, but I personally just don't think it's true" could to them be "Islam is stupid and you're all morons for believing it", which isn't fair on you but sadly that's how if often goes. But I should stress that even if your family has anything against ex-muslims, thinks apostates are bad people, it's different when it's someone you love. Some random example of someone leaving islam is easy to talk shit about. Someone you love, less so.

You will find this emotionally draining. If you choose to come out to only a few select people at different times it can bring up such a feeling of dread, and will have an effect on your state of mine as it's something that will always be at the very least in the back of your mind. If you choose to get it all over with, then it will be very emotionally draining, and you may find yourself bombarded from all sides. Either way it can be tempting to just withdraw from them, which will likely have not only them feeling abandoned but you feeling shit about yourself and racked with guilt. If you have any friends or relatives you can bring with you when you do tell them to give a bit of moral support, bring them.

As for the fallout, you're still you. You're still the same person. You still love them. You're still their daughter/sister/friend/cousin/whatever else and just because you no longer believe islam to be true that doesn't mean you don't want to be a part of each others lives. But that said you are shattering their image of you. They might need some time to come to terms with that.

If you feel you may be in danger if you tell them, don't. If there is even the smallest part of you which thinks "These people will hurt me" or "They will kick me out", get a job. Have money coming into your bank account every month and make sure you have a place to stay.

And above all, feel free to express yourself here. far away hug

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #12 - October 14, 2014, 03:57 AM

Of course, I still have many Islamic teachings that I still hold very dear to my heart (such as being good to your neighbour and feeding the poor)

Religions are smart enough to tap into basic human decency. They don't create or own it.
     Reply #13 - October 14, 2014, 09:02 AM

Welcome to the forum minaness, and thanks for sharing your story with us Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #14 - October 14, 2014, 09:39 AM

Welcome!! I'm new here also but I have gathered that it seems polite to give a parrot! so here you are:  parrot

Smiley.
     Reply #15 - October 14, 2014, 12:14 PM

Hi minaness, welcome in. You are so young to have to make such big decisions  Cry

Do what you know is right for you, but do it with grace. That way you don't take any guilt with you and if, like you say, your mother is open-minded, there may be some chance of maintaining relations in the future once the dust has settled. My daughter is 18 and nothing would stop me loving her. So have heart  Smiley

Regarding your finances, is there any kind of aid that you could tap into? I know a young girl whose white parents threw her out for being gay (I work as a youth leader nr London) and she had extra help with getting into uni.

Things will be hard when you rip off that bandaid, but you will be doing the right thing. Just remember, you aren't alone.  far away hug

Reply #16 - October 14, 2014, 04:02 PM

Hi, you got a double whammy there with the leaving islam and being a lesbian too. Sticky situation

Anyway welcome buddy  Smiley
     Reply #17 - October 14, 2014, 04:10 PM

Welcome!

You got some great advice here! Especially from Eris. If you think you could be in danger for coming out, don't do it! I, for example know that my family, regardless of who they are, would never become violent. But that has something to do with the fact that I am married. They would never dare to cross that line.
    I am glad you made that choice for yourself to be free. I know that feeling. Again, welcome! xoxo
     Reply #18 - October 14, 2014, 08:39 PM

Religions are smart enough to tap into basic human decency. They don't create or own it.

Also, religion can turn you into a fanatical murderer.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #19 - October 14, 2014, 10:19 PM

Reading all of your replies is like a breathing a breath of fresh air. If only I could express how grateful I am to you all in person but I'll just have to use this  far away hug

A special thank you to all of you who gave me some advice. Coming out to my parents whenever it happens will be very hard on both sides and all of the advice is like a remainder of the different things I need to consider before telling them my secret. Safety is always important and I know that my family will not resort to violence but they may try to change me. Of course, being disowned is what I am expecting to happen which is why I am taking the extra measures to be sure I can be financial independent.

Regarding your finances, is there any kind of aid that you could tap into? I know a young girl whose white parents threw her out for being gay (I work as a youth leader nr London) and she had extra help with getting into uni.

I live in Canada and I know there are shelters specifically for youth that have been kicked out for being lgbtq+ but I wanted to use that option as my back-up plan of my back-up plan. Since I am in my last year of college, I don't want my studies to be effected or interrupted so moving into an affordable  place near school would be best. Also, the loans for being a student that I will be getting from the government will also be enough to get me on my feet.

That is very, very true!!!  Afro

Haha, yes it really is! They are both secrets that are kept in a closet and when you are ready you go through a "coming out of the closet" process.

thnkyu for the advice and the parrot s!! I feel more than welcomed!! dance
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »