Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello! American transplant in Saudi

(Read 2786 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello! American transplant in Saudi
     OP - October 12, 2014, 08:44 PM

From my SN it's obvious I'm from the states. Raises in NY (upstate) and relocated to TN in my early 20's. That's where I met my husband. A Saudi, Sunni Muslim.  We've been married for 8 years. He adopted my daughter from a previous relationship when she was 5. She is 10 now.

We came to Saudi as a permanent relocation at the end of July.   It's been miserable. I hate everything about this place and his sisters don't make it any easier. 

I never truly converted to Islam as I always had questions about things.  He didn't seem bothered by it and didn't have any extreme tendencies with Islam. His things were simple,  dress modestly, wudu and pray 5 times per day, masjid on Friday, no pork, no alcohol. Simple.  Nothing about that was difficult.

Moving here has shown me the real side of Islam.  The side that we hear about, but are told is just lies against Islam. I see this now. There are 2 Islams: the real one and the beautified version for the media and non-Muslims.  His sisters are always telling us stories about bullshit that makes no sense. They are always pumping my kids full of crap.  If you listen to music then when you go to the hell fire shaytan will pour lava in your ears.   Here come dance to this loud music just say stagfirlillah however many times and it will be erased from your deeds. Hide your beauty, but you must stay beautiful.  You must tweeze, wax, henna your hair,  have your brows and draw them on perfectly,  wear fancy thoubes with your boons hanging out with high heel shoes and tons of MAC makeup, gawdy big costume jewelry, etc. But,  you must cover it all with Abaya and niqab. 

Um, what? I have 5 kids and they stress me to no end. Yes, I am getting grey hair. No, I will not henna my hair even if you tell me Allah says I must.  I don't wear makeup and I won't,  period.  I won't take off all my pubic hair to match my 7 year old daughter. Thanks, but I'll pass.

I won't circumcise my infant son so he can be like Mohammed.  They actually told my daughters that if you don't circumcise a boy then as he gets older the skin will get smaller and close the hole and the boy won't be able to urinate. What?!!

I am surrounded by stupidity and hostility.  I live in a house where they crush moth balls up and sprinkle them on the floors as carpet freshener. They hand giant baseball sized moth balls in the bathroom an pour little ppuddles of gasoline in the bathroom as air freshener and follow that with a big cloudy room of Oud.

this stuff is killing me. I'm too natural for this shit and all their stories are too illogical to dismiss.

I believed in Islam more before coming to the capital of Islam.

And I miss grass :(
     Reply #1 - October 12, 2014, 08:54 PM

Welcome NYinSaudi : )   what kind of grass exactly do you miss ?

hey i know what you mean, i got a good friend out there who says the same thing, he says dont know what Islam you are used to in the west but out here i'm telling you theyre all crazy people.. I guess you have to see it to believe it..  i only lived in one muslim country and that was malaysia, i didnt notice much crazy religious folks as it was a mixed place..

X
     Reply #2 - October 12, 2014, 09:00 PM

Ha! Right now just the simple green grass that grows and needs to be mowed Wink If i ever get back to the U.S. I'll have time to miss the puffing grass and the first thing I'll do is have a martini and a Malibu bay breeze. It's been years!

I miss the people even. They are so much more polite and respectful of personal space.  Even the idea of who'who's turn it is in line is a totally lost art here.
     Reply #3 - October 12, 2014, 09:05 PM

I don't want to sound like a scaremonger, but I think maybe see if you can get you and the kids on the next flight back to USA.
     Reply #4 - October 12, 2014, 09:36 PM

OK ,Im going to be really dramatic, but it's because Im a bit cautious, and I think it's necessary.

Erase your internet history after every visit to this site.You can also use different types software to stay anonymous.

If you want to leave, you can either take two ways:
    1.Contact your embassy and tell them that you want to leave with the kids. Don't tell kids until the last moment.And don't tell anyone about your beliefs.

2. Or, tell husband that you want to take the kids to see your relatives and that you want to go all as a family.Once you're in the US , you can take whatever steps you want, but if you want to keep the kids don't let them alone with the father.

-----------

Again this is if you want to be cautious. Sadly, this is necessary for too many. There are probably other things that someone can point to, better than me
     Reply #5 - October 12, 2014, 09:45 PM

Saudi Arabia can be a perplexingly miserable place. I know how homesick you must feel. I wouldn't recommend trying a daring escape, though. The laws are entirely against women's freedom and things could quickly turn into a nightmare if it fails. Instead, I'd recommend pleading for a visit back home, then refusing to leave once you are back on American soil. In the meantime, stay strong and try to make the best of your situation. Try out the local food. Try to get out to the desert on a family day trip -   it's beautiful. And perhaps most importantly, try to keep up a sense of normalcy for you and your kids. Books, TV shows, favorite meals, etc. It's the day to day stuff that keeps it bearable.

Oh, and welcome!  parrot bunny
     Reply #6 - October 12, 2014, 09:51 PM

Welcome! I was hoping you'd make an introductory thread.  parrot

I'm over in Connecticut right now, not far from your old stomping grounds. I'm also married to a Saudi, but I do not intend to move out there. I have a couple friends way out there, and only one is really happy. The others hated it, too.

You know, there are some foreign women who do meetups in the cities, I hear. Maybe look through facebook or expat blogs or whatever kids do these days? It might help if you can meet other people in your situation, if for no other reason than to gripe about the frustrations over there.
     Reply #7 - October 13, 2014, 09:31 AM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - October 17, 2014, 01:35 AM

Welcome.

I personally recommended contacting the American embassy as secretly as possible and asking for help.
     Reply #9 - October 17, 2014, 02:24 AM

Welcome, I hope things are going well. I'd actually agree with skywalker as Saudi Arabia keeps a very tight grip on their internet, often times blocking websites that they deem immoral.

I would recommend having revealing this to a family member, someone who currently resides in the US who you know won't be impulsive and maybe have them pretend that they are critically sick or something? My idea is mostly just the same idea already mentioned but with a little twist in case he has an arrogant personality. I hope you find the answer that best suits you here and please keep us updated.

أشهد أن لا إله
     Reply #10 - October 17, 2014, 05:07 AM

Welcome to the forum NYerInSaudi, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #11 - October 17, 2014, 12:05 PM

Welcome aboard NYIS,
    Glad you could join us. Smiley
     parrot bunny
     Reply #12 - October 17, 2014, 08:53 PM

Hello there...

Welcome. I know you don't like Saudi, but how is your husband treating you? I would be careful considering going to the Embassy. Your children could be a major issue here since the Arab countries grant custody mostly to fathers. Could you reason with your husband to return for a while?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »