Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pre-Islamic Levantine Arabic and the Qur'an

(Read 14621 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Pre-Islamic Levantine Arabic and the Qur'an
     Reply #30 - December 11, 2014, 09:04 PM

Wilmsen is from the American University of Beirut.  Worthy of quotation from Al-Jallad's review is the mounting evidence that Old Arabic existed in the Northern regions of the fertile crescent and Levant for many centuries before Islam.  Again, this is all relevant to refuting the idea that the Qur'an must have originated within a mystical illiterate Hijazi context, with Arabic speakers and language being isolated from pre-Islamic antiquity until they burst forth from the peninsula in waves following their Arabian prophet, Muhammad.  In fact Arabia and Old Arabic speakers were part of late antiquity for many centuries before Islam:

Nevertheless, there is one clear error that should be corrected, especially since this is the second time I have encountered it recently. Wilmsen is incorrect in seeing the Namara Inscription (328 CE) as the earliest Arabic inscription. The ‘En ‘Avdat inscription is earlier, although its exact date cannot be established (but < 150 CE), so is JSNab 17 (267 CE). And in the ANA scripts, Arabic is attested well before the Common Era – in fact, it is impossible to determine how early some of these inscriptions date. His repeating of the factually incorrect statement of Magidow (2013), namely, that “the Arabic of the Levant might not be older than the first few centuries CE” ignores the mounting linguistic evidence to the contrary:

1.  The Nabataean evidence goes back to the 3rd c. BCE and exhibits Arabic substrate from the beginning.

2.  Most of the Ancient North Arabian material is undated and much of it most likely pre-dates the 1st c. BCE, the conventional starting date for the Safaitic texts. The ANA languages of the Levant and North Arabia, at least, must be considered varieties of Old Arabic (see Al-Jallad 2015a, b).

3.   The “Arabs” who were involved in military conflicts with Assyrians bear personal names that go back to an Arabic source, e.g. gindibu, wahbu, etc.

4.   Isolated words, such as the divine name al-'ilat, mentioned by Herodotus as the deity worshipped by the Arabs of the Sinai ~450 BCE, point towards a vernacular Arabic in the north quite early.

While our knowledge is very incomplete at the present moment, we can, nevertheless, be sure that Arabic was in place in the region before the 1st c. CE. In fact, we cannot know for sure how much further in the past it stretches, as the majority of Old Arabic texts (written in the Ancient North Arabian scripts) are simply undated (the 1st c. BCE starting point for Safaitic is purely conventional). Until our understanding of the chronology of this material is better, such cavalier statements should be avoided.
     Reply #31 - December 12, 2014, 05:48 AM

Wiki acknowledges the term arabic as possibly a religious political construction and tracks back to phoenecian, aramaic etc.

Arabic Listeni/ˈærəbɪk/ (العَرَبِيةُ al-ʻarabiyyah [alʕaraˈbijja] ( listen) or عربي ,عربى ʻarabī [ˈʕarabiː] ( listen)) is a name for what are traditionally considered the descendants of the Classical Arabic language of the 6th century. This includes both the literary language and varieties of Arabic spoken in a wide arc of territory, stretching across the Middle East, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa. Arabic belongs to the Afro-Asiatic family.

The literary language is called Modern Standard Arabic or Literary Arabic, which is a pluricentric, fusional language.[4] It is currently the only official form of Arabic, used in most written documents as well as in formal spoken occasions, such as lectures and news broadcasts. However, this varies from one country to the other. Moroccan Arabic was official in Morocco for some time, before the latter nation joined the Arab League.

Arabic languages are Central Semitic languages, most closely related to Aramaic, Hebrew, Ugaritic and Phoenician. The standardized written Arabic is distinct from and more conservative than all of the spoken varieties, and the two exist in a state known as diglossia, used side-by-side for different societal functions.

Some of the spoken varieties are mutually unintelligible,[5] both written and orally, and the varieties as a whole constitute a sociolinguistic language. This means that on purely linguistic grounds they would likely be considered to constitute more than one language, but are commonly grouped together as a single language for political and/or religious reasons (see below). If considered multiple languages, it is unclear how many languages there would be, as the spoken varieties form a dialect chain with no clear boundaries. If Arabic is considered a single language, it perhaps is spoken by as many as 420 million speakers (native and non-native) in the Arab world,[6] making it one of the half dozen most populous languages in the world. If considered separate languages, the most-spoken variety would most likely be Egyptian Arabic, with 54 million native speakers[7]—still greater than any other Afro-Asiatic language. Arabic also is a liturgical language of 1.6 billion Muslim speakers.[8][9] It is one of six official languages of the United Nations.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #32 - December 12, 2014, 01:10 PM

Al Jallad is questioning some widely held Muslim beliefs. Is he a Muslim, ex-Muslim or something else?

@Zaotar you seem to be pretty immersed in Qur'anic and Islamic studies, do you study it at university or just in your own time? Would you be interested in producing some youtube videos like
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Klingschor
    or
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ResearchingIslam
     Reply #33 - December 12, 2014, 02:17 PM

I suspect Zaotar is an up-and-coming academic honing his arguments on here.

(For which, many thanks.)
     Reply #34 - December 12, 2014, 03:14 PM

Al Jallad is questioning some widely held Muslim beliefs. Is he a Muslim, ex-Muslim or something else?

I took a summer course with Al Jallad in Ancient North Arabian two years ago.  He never brought up religion or Islam.  I think his work is much more critical of 9th century Muslim historiography than religious beliefs.  Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between the two.     
     Reply #35 - January 28, 2015, 06:17 PM

Bump for a couple upcoming talk summaries that Al Jallad just posted.  The first is especially interesting because it goes right into the central Qur'anic studies issue of what language the base Qur'anic rasm reflects and how closely related/influenced by Aramaic it was -- all within a disciplined linguistic framework that considers the pre-Islamic evidence across the region.  Key phrase:  "the dialect upon which Arabic orthography is based."

https://www.academia.edu/10359714/2015_Arabic-Aramaic_language_contact_in_the_pre-Islamic_period_a_view_from_documentary_sources

"The Petra Papryi stand as one of the most important witnesses to the vernacular Arabic of the pre-Islamic period.  These documents attest over 100 Arabic personal names, toponyms, and oikonyms in Greek transcription.  In addition to the Arabic, one also finds several Aramaic, both western and eastern,  lexical items and a few isolated relics from an older Canaanite substratum.  The final volume of the series is now being prepared, and one of its key documents, Inv. 98, contains a wealth of new evidence on the linguistic situation in Petra and its surrounding areas.

The primary concern of this talk is not the Arabic of these documents in isolation, but rather its interaction with Aramaic.  The interchange between the two languages in the papyri points towards a situation of bilingualism.  Taking the Petra Papyri as a starting point, we will examine the extensive interaction between Arabic and Aramaic in the pre-Islamic period based on documentary materials - monumental inscriptions, graffiti, and papyri - from the northern Hijaz and the southern Levant.  Our conclusions show that Arabic-Aramaic contact stretched back centuries before the spread of Christianity in Arabia, and can explain several characteristic features of early sedentary forms of Arabic, such as the dialect upon which Arabic orthography is based.  Conversely, contact with Arabic may also explain some characteristic features of western Aramaic."

https://www.academia.edu/10359682/2015_Tracing_the_history_of_the_Arabic_definite_articles_a_new_perspective_from_Old_pre-Islamic_Arabic

"The goal of this talk is to demonstrate how pre-Islamic documentary sources can change our view of the history and development of Arabic.  I focus on one of the most iconic features of the language, the definite article /ʾal/-.  This form of the article—with its various patterns of assimilation—is found in nearly all the modern dialects of Arabic, Classical Arabic, and the language of the Qur’an.  While the Arab Grammarians documented other forms of the definite article, namely, /am/ and /an/, both of which are encountered in some Yemeni dialects today, the comparative method would suggest that such marginal forms are secondary.  Consequently, the reconstruction of /ʾal/ to Proto-Arabic would seem uncontroversial.  The increase in the availability of epigraphic sources from the pre-Islamic period, and advances in their interpretation, however, challenges this view.  I will present various pieces of Old Arabic evidence from Syria and North Arabia which suggests that the earliest stages of Arabic did not have a definite article at all.  I hypothesize that the pattern of overtly marking definiteness spread to Arabic through contact with Northwest Semitic languages.  This scenario will explain not only the variety of definite article forms that we encounter in the epigraphic record, but also the unique distribution of the article vis-à-vis nunation—the article does not occur with nunation in the singular and broken plurals but does in the dual and sound plurals.  I conclude with a discussion on how the addition of documentary sources to the study of Arabic’s early linguistic history constitutes a paradigm shift in the way we conceive of Old Arabic and the developmental trajectories of later forms of the language. "
     Reply #36 - January 28, 2015, 11:56 PM

I suspect Zaotar is an up-and-coming academic honing his arguments on here.
    (For which, many thanks.)

I second this. The man needs to write a book.
     Reply #37 - January 29, 2015, 12:01 AM

Also do talks!
     Reply #38 - April 07, 2015, 10:33 PM

Sorry I have been AWOL for a while, I have been working on my MA thesis and haven't had much time to participate in the forum discussions.  Anyways, I found Al-Jallad's book on the Safaitic inscriptions here for download:

http://libgen.org/book/index.php?md5=eb3c3390f3d64c3c833cc686104933a8

I thought this would be of interest.  I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but it looks interesting.
     Reply #39 - May 20, 2015, 12:10 AM

Bump for new Al Jallad article released today:

https://www.academia.edu/12463830/Al-Jallad._2015._New_Epigraphica_from_Jordan_I_a_pre-Islamic_Arabic_inscription_in_Greek_letters_and_a_Greek_inscription_from_north-eastern_Jordan_w._A._al-Manaser

This has a bit of interesting material on Qur'anic language and orthography.

Reply #40 - May 20, 2015, 12:31 AM

Old Arabic transcribed in Greek characters? Nice.

Note that *this* Arabic dialect seems to be following Syriac (and late Hebrew) begadkepat aspirantizing rules. atawa -> αθαοα, śatāw -> ζαθαοε, bi-Kanūn -> βι-Χανουν. But baqla -> βακλα, and since there is no "dh" in Greek the author is stuck with Ουδου.

Either that or it was a local Greek orthographic tradition that Semitic languages were supposed to be spelt this way, even if they weren't pronounced this way.
     Reply #41 - May 20, 2015, 01:05 AM

If I understand him rightly on pages 57-8, he is saying outright that the Qur'anic orthography was based on a Northern dialect that had lost all case inflections except the accusative.  Very interesting ...
     Reply #42 - June 06, 2015, 02:50 PM

I've been spreading the, er, gospel of al-Jallad on Wikipedia here:
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Arabic_alphabet
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_North_Arabian
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safaitic_dialect

The Wiki articles have been giving me migraines for years, but I could never figure out how to make better sense of Arabic linguistic origins. Al-Jallad's work by introducing Safaitic (and Hismaic) has fixed all of this.

The aim is to get Safaitic and Hismaic generally accepted as Arabic, and to redefine Ancient North Arabian as the language-family including Arabic and Dedanitic. Either that or it will troll other linguists (of which I am not) into the discussion. But honestly almost anything would be better than what was on Wikipedia concerning ANA before, including lolcats.

(EDIT: Once Wiki gets into Classical Arabic, it gets a lot better. For instance they don't shy away from all those Aramaic and Iranian loanwords into CA. They also agree that the modern Arabic languages are actually languages, like Romance from Latin.)
     Reply #43 - June 06, 2015, 05:35 PM

Great work Zim.  Btw, what is that avatar from?

Also, Al Jallad just released a new slide set from one of his talks on the linguistics of pre-Islamic Arabia .... very cool ... although you have to infer the underlying content, the slide where Arabic is turned 'upside down' seems to indicate that Old Arabic is primarily attested from the Transjordan, southern Palestine, Sinai Peninsula, and NW Arabian peninsula, and that most of the Hijaz is 'undeciphered' language in 'undeciphered' script.  Very interesting stuff.

https://www.academia.edu/12755223/2015_More_reflections_on_the_linguistic_map_of_pre-Islamic_Arabia
     Reply #44 - June 18, 2015, 10:39 PM

An officious Wikipedia editor dropped by and undid the bulk of my "unexplained" work. You can watch me get cranky at his talk-page.

But here's the good news! 28-30 July, Al-Jallad will be a featured speaker at the University of Essex in Colchester:
    https://sites.google.com/a/york.ac.uk/fal2015/

Would a signed affidavit from the attendees help? "We, the undersigned, hereby pledge that Ahmad al-Jallad is not a loon. Please don't delete references to his work on Wikipedia. And if you're offended that he thinks Arabic is first attested north of Mecca, we're very sorry you're offended. Maybe the Saudis should allow archaeologists to visit Mecca sometime. But we digress."
     Reply #45 - June 18, 2015, 10:53 PM

The sad part is that even the undid-work is already leagues beyond the atrocious level of most Wikipedia articles on the subject.  From the basement, I give you:  Wikipedia on Classical Arabic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Arabic

Reply #46 - June 18, 2015, 11:19 PM

An officious Wikipedia editor dropped by and undid the bulk of my "unexplained" work. You can watch me get cranky at his talk-page.

But here's the good news! 28-30 July, Al-Jallad will be a featured speaker at the University of Essex in Colchester:
    https://sites.google.com/a/york.ac.uk/fal2015/

Would a signed affidavit from the attendees help? "We, the undersigned, hereby pledge that Ahmad al-Jallad is not a loon. Please don't delete references to his work on Wikipedia. And if you're offended that he thinks Arabic is first attested north of Mecca, we're very sorry you're offended. Maybe the Saudis should allow archaeologists to visit Mecca sometime. But we digress."

Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #47 - June 19, 2015, 01:37 AM

From the program for that conference:

"Jonathan Owens, University of Bayreuth:
    Language history as policy, language history as imagined
    history and linguistic history: Is there a real Arabic, and if
    there is, how can we discern it?"

I'm guessing that professor Owens' opinion won't make the Wiki cut either.
     Reply #48 - June 19, 2015, 11:34 AM

Zaotar  said in his opening post  let me get some nuggets from it

Nugget_1:  .....First, there is no clear split between Arabic and "Ancient North Arabian" languages, but rather there was a continuum of Old Arabic languages across the entire region PRIOR to Islam.  Second, the modern Levantine dialects were already in place prior to Islam -- these languages did not migrate to the area with Arabs from the peninsula, they were already in the area.  

Nugget_2: Why do so many features of that base script seem so remarkably different than Classical Arabic?  The Qur'an appears to have been originally written in a different orthography than it was later read in by Muslim tradition.

Nugget_3:  .... We still know incredibly little about pre-Islamic Arabic, and about early Arabic orthography -- and as a result of that uncertainty, we still don't know much about the language reflected in the base Qur'anic script.  I'm hopeful that guys like Jallad will eventually create a much improved linguistic basis for approaching these issues, and as a result a much better understanding of what the Qur'an is, how it was compiled, where it was compiled, and what its language/script actually means.  

And  Zaotar  says again
    .................Is there a real Arabic, and if   there is, how can we discern it?"

dear Zaotar  I asked you these questions  before  here and there but you just evaded... The question again is

Do you believe in the narrations of Quran and hadith  of Muhammad and his Clan "the four  Caliphates" or do you think most of it(IF NOT ALL) is a Harry Potter story of some 7th/8th century story tellers?  

You know well these first 4 Caliphs were Son-in Laws and Father In-Laws of Muhammad .. The alleged central character of Islam..  So answer me the question Zaotar ...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #49 - June 19, 2015, 06:50 PM

Hmm, if I can answer them briefly, I do think the hadith are almost entirely fabrications that do not correctly reflect the origins of Islam in any literal sense.  Muhammad's traditional family relations are almost entirely fabricated, in my view.  It's depressing how much faith Islamic Studies has put in Islamic genealogy and chronology, when that tends to be the most blatantly fictitious element of almost any religious tradition.  Everybody is always a close companion and relative of the divine figure.  Interestingly the one major exception I can think of is the apostle Paul.

I think the tribal identities and genealogies of Islamic tradition are primarily fiction.  The 'caliphs' (almost certainly they were not called caliphs at the time) have decent evidence for their existence, except for Abu Bakr who remains undocumented.  It's their genealogy and Islamic ideology that doesn't have good evidence.  I see their familial relation to Muhammad as secondary, a legitimating backdrop.  I doubt this relation would have been formed, even from a literary perspective, until around the middle of the 7th century at the earliest.
     Reply #50 - June 28, 2015, 09:45 PM

We need more info like this, its really helpful.
     Reply #51 - June 29, 2015, 12:46 AM

About the Jallad work. As i understand all of this, according to him, all of the "Syriac" stuff that one can find in the rasm would come from West Aramaic (from the Arabic Nabatean language)  and not the East (Euphrate shore). Zaotar, do you think that it would be possible to distinguish in the rasm from where the influence is coming with certainty ?
    https://www.academia.edu/10359714/2015_Arabic-Aramaic_language_contact_in_the_pre-Islamic_period_a_view_from_documentary_sources
    It points as well towards the Dye paper about bilingualism https://www.academia.edu/4730102/Traces_of_Bilingualism_Multilingualism_in_Quranic_Arabic paper which examines the East Syriac with fruitful insight.

It is interesting because the first coin with "Muhammad" (only) comes from the West, is an anonymous  "Arab Byzantine" without date coin but the first "Muhammad rasul Allah" comes from the East (Bishapur) As if we had two places  of "birth" of the Qur'an and Muhammad. Two places/ two cites : the late Mecca/Medina.

But about Jallad work  it does not resolve (amha) the main thing : written in Nabatean script, in West Syria/Transjordan, even Jerusalem then, the rasm is still ambiguous due to the script employed. Or i think that the rasm we have in "Arabe 328" for example is not really suitable to communicate what is is written in it. Except one believe to the traditional account.

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »