Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Are Hijabs really a choice?

(Read 46887 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Are Hijabs really a choice?
     OP - October 07, 2014, 02:38 PM

I just watched a news clip where one of the broadcasters said hijabs are a choice made my women and it got me thinking, are they?
    I mean from youth the women I was related to were told that this is what they had to do, it's not that the little girls picked it up and decided to wear it each. and. every. day. It could be argued that skimpy clothes are also not a choice since little girls are made to wear them but to that I would consider the consequence of not wearing them. The skimpy clothes don't really have much consequence (atleast, none that I can think of) but now wearing hijabs in a muslim household is seen as bearing disgrace to that family. So while, technically the lady might be wearing the hijab in the morning with her own two  hands, there might be a structure of policing around those habits.

Am I talking shit? What do you think? And if you think i'm wrong, please explain.
     Reply #1 - October 07, 2014, 02:55 PM

I guess it depends on how you perceive "a choice". There are many muslim women who chose to wear hijab, often against their family's wishes. But still, is it really their choice? They do it because islam tells them to. They do it because they want to please allah or just because they don't want to be punished. In my opinion, it's rarely a woman's choice. They usually do it because somebody tells them to - be it their families, allah or society.
     Reply #2 - October 07, 2014, 03:22 PM

but now wearing hijabs in a muslim household is seen as bearing disgrace to that family.

not*?

I feel like exmuslimah has spoken my thoughts but I might as well. It honestly differs from one situation to the other, lots of people will force their daughters to wear hijab(perhaps by beating them or otherwise) because they're scared that if they don't make them wear it Allah will punish them(the parents) for not 'teaching' their children better in the afterlife[insert relevant verse/hadith here]. Sometimes it's enforced by the government as a form of Islamic rule(i.e. Saudi Arabia, Iran). Others will wear it by 'choice', they will be told since they are children that Allah(who apparently created women without hijab) has commanded that women wear hijab, and they will be pressured into it by society.

I recently read a post of a hijabi colleague of mine; she posted about how she had considered taking her hijab off but was convinced otherwise by her friends, the post had attached to it a few pictures and screenshots of conversations between her friends, most of which went along the lines "something something this life is pointless something something don't greedy something something don't you want Allah to love you? something something men are pigs".

(No stereotyping intended)Think southern country-side farm girls growing up being constantly told that they only exist to serve men then choosing to make a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1uv6gB4hE

In summary, I do think that a significant portion of hijabis do put it on by choice, a very very very tilted choice.

أشهد أن لا إله
     Reply #3 - October 07, 2014, 05:15 PM

It's a false choice. Some Muslims say Western women are forced to wear revealing clothing because of men's patriarchal, sexist attitudes, but in the West women are also free to wear more conservative dress.

In Muslim societies, that choice isn't there. You can wear whatever you want as long as you follow the dictates of the morality police and the words of the Qur'an/hadith, which rules out anything other than a hijab or a headscarf. Muslims constantly harp about how decadent Western society oppresses women while conveniently forgetting how Islam is even worse.
     Reply #4 - October 07, 2014, 05:46 PM

Of course it can be a choice. But, as with all choices, sometimes we like to imagine that outside pressures had less to do with our decisions than they really might. If I had been brought up to accept the hijab as part of my identity and the act of covering as part of my value, I'd choose to cover, too. Same probably goes if my family/peers held a higher opinion of me for always wearing the hijab. I'd probably like to hang on to that status. Or, as was designed, if I thought I'd be increasing or decreasing my chances of being rewarded by a very nit-picky god. Not all women will be in that situation, but I'd imagine more than you'd ever hear admitting it or even acknowledging it to themselves.

I'm still somewhat struggling with this as far as modest clothing goes. I try to wear long skirts, or, increasingly nowadays, skirts as low as knee-length when I go out. Now, on one hand, if you ask me why, I'll say it's a decision. And it's true that it's a decision. The husband doesn't force me, no body forces me. I buy my own clothes, I choose my outfits in the morning. And I do feel more comfortable on the modest side.

But then if you or I kept prodding myself over why I was making this decision, then I'd have to start saying, if I were being honest, that it is because I'm trying not to push my husband's comfort level any farther than I have since my apostasy, that I had gotten so used to this clothing, that I have apprehension about being seen by other Muslims in anything more stunningly immodest than the lower half of my legs showing, that I already actively avoid places on campus and in the town where I might run into and thereby disappoint old Muslim friends and mentors. So, today, I decided to dress modestly. Grin
     Reply #5 - October 07, 2014, 05:55 PM

Muslims constantly harp about how decadent Western society oppresses women while conveniently forgetting how Islam is even worse.

Having been on both sides, I can personally say that wearing the Islamic hijab is never truly a choice in the sense we are usually thinking of. It's not like you can chose one day to wear it and the next not. You can't easily chose to stop wearing it, and even when you wear it you are often policed about the proper way of wearing it. Sure, having to be more creative in terms of clothing is also often dictated by current fashion. But I can honestly say that I can chose freely to wear a long skirt and shirt one day, and the next I'll wear a short dress with my stripper heals. No one cares, no one is there to police me. I can dress conservatively one day and the next I can be on the other side of the scale. Social control is a factor in all societies, but the modesty doctrine and hijab are patriarchal, sexist and opressive and in my opinion, it is so inherently despite certain Muslim women's opinions on the contrary. Why was it imposed, what are its "arguments" and rationale, and how does it practically work and affect women's life in the real world? If analysed, all this will prove me right. It takes a liberal democracy, absence of shariah and dominant Islamic ideology, higher education and women's (unislamic) rights in order to enable the hijab to be "free choice" and "liberating" for a selected, priviliged, few.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #6 - March 09, 2015, 08:02 AM

I just watched a news clip where one of the broadcasters said hijabs are a choice made my women and it got me thinking, are they?
    I mean from youth the women I was related to were told that this is what they had to do, it's not that the little girls picked it up and decided to wear it each. and. every. day. It could be argued that skimpy clothes are also not a choice since little girls are made to wear them but to that I would consider the consequence of not wearing them. The skimpy clothes don't really have much consequence (atleast, none that I can think of) but now wearing hijabs in a muslim household is seen as bearing disgrace to that family. So while, technically the lady might be wearing the hijab in the morning with her own two  hands, there might be a structure of policing around those habits.

Am I talking shit? What do you think? And if you think i'm wrong, please explain.

If a woman says that the hijab is her choice, then it is her choice, just like islam is her choice.
    My sister made the choice to wear the hijab 1 year ago, I never forced her, my mother never forced her, she really decided that she was going to do what Allah and the prophet asked from her. This isn't the case for everyone wearing the hijab of course.
     Reply #7 - March 09, 2015, 08:06 AM

And if she removes it she has been taught or learnt that allah has a special punishment in hell for women who commit "tabarruj". It's not like it is a choice within the religion, it is very much an obligation and in an Islamic state (which has become even more relevant since ISIS started spreading their Muhammedanism) it would be imposed on women whether they like it or not.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #8 - March 09, 2015, 08:24 AM

And if she removes it she has been taught or learnt that allah has a special punishment in hell for women who commit "tabarruj". It's not like it is a choice within the religion, it is very much an obligation and in an Islamic state (which has become even more relevant since ISIS started spreading their Muhammedanism) it would be imposed on women whether they like it or not.

The same counts for every obligation within islam. If a muslim man would show his mahram (area above knees and below belly), then the same counts for him, if he stops praying 5 times a day, the same counts for him, etc.
    A state imposing this obligation is something else.
     Reply #9 - March 09, 2015, 10:32 AM

I wouldn't compare a mans awrah to a womans, it's not that much of a burden for a guy to cover his midriff as it is for a woman to wear hijab.  Hijab is only a choice if women feel free to take it off/on whenever they want but that's never the case.
     Reply #10 - March 09, 2015, 11:06 AM

I wouldn't compare a mans awrah to a womans, it's not that much of a burden for a guy to cover his midriff as it is for a woman to wear hijab.  Hijab is only a choice if women feel free to take it off/on whenever they want but that's never the case.

I agree with that, but that's not my point. My point is that every sin in islam may lead to jahannam.
    And there are women that feel free to take off the hijab, my aunts did. They know that it'll lead the to hell according to islam, but they do it anyway.
     Reply #11 - June 15, 2016, 03:59 PM

No hijab is not a choice. It's an obligation. People that say they had a choice made the "right" choice, and/or are living in a country where they are granted the choice (a non muslim country).
     Reply #12 - June 15, 2016, 04:40 PM

Question of  the  folder.,   Are   Hijabs really a choice?

No hijab is not a choice. It's an obligation. .......

hellooo   anonexmuslima

let me  ask the question differently.,  If Hijab is woman's own choice of cloth to put it on her head .,  should it be objectionable to you and even to the society ??

we are talking about hijab not Niqab

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #13 - June 15, 2016, 06:08 PM

@yeevezee

No it shouldn't. When it comes down to it, hijab is just a cloth. The issues with it lie in the religious philosophy behind it as well as how it is enforced.

If the woman has made the choice for herself, I see no reason whatsoever that she shouldn't be allowed to wear it.
     Reply #14 - June 15, 2016, 06:24 PM

Choice to wear hijab or mini skirt. Tis k.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #15 - June 15, 2016, 10:02 PM

Hijab is only a choice in countries where it is not enforced legally or if the family/community do not enforce it. Hope that helps.  Afro

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #16 - September 23, 2016, 02:23 AM

....No

"In every religion there is love, yet love has no religion"

"The intellectual runs away, afraid of drowning; the whole business of love is to drown in the sea." - Rumi
     Reply #17 - September 23, 2016, 03:12 AM

....No.....

"In every religion there is love, yet love has no religion"

and i say

....YESsssssssss.....

"In every religion there is hate , yet hate has no religion"

Reply #18 - September 23, 2016, 01:22 PM

well  I don't know why "Sara198 " said  "NO"  and why I said  "YESsss"  Cheesy .,   I was  just  thinking that she is going to respond to that   "YESsss"  but my prediction as usual is wrong.,  

Anyways  I say women must have freedom to dress the way she likes w.r.t Hijab.   And I can argue with  any one who questions that.,  Women who puts on her hijab  willingly  without any   force from any side such as  Family/ friends/ preachers/ insane Baboons...etc.,  should have freedom to put whatever clothe  she likes on her  head unlessit is a problem/hazardous  at her job place . Off course Niqab/Burqa  is a different matter  And  also I certainly willing to argue with this fool to  tape  her mouth BY HERSELF  until she stops  preaching nonsense to school children..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMwwvDcR-VE#t=50

Such idiots must be insulted where ever you see them  .. Incidentally she teachs Islam   in England to 10-12 year old  school  kids

Reply #19 - September 27, 2016, 10:51 AM

Religious schools in UK!!! 
    Madness in stupidity.
     Reply #20 - September 27, 2016, 01:03 PM

Such idiots must be insulted where ever you see them  ..

not a good idea yeezevee.

btw what school is this?
    do you know why the faces are covered up?
     Reply #21 - September 27, 2016, 01:20 PM

VERY ((NOT A))  good idea yeezevee.

let me change a word from babooshka's post
    btw what school is this?
    do you know why the faces are covered up?

hiding from rascals like me

Reply #22 - September 27, 2016, 01:27 PM

you messin wit ma posts boy!
     Reply #23 - September 27, 2016, 09:51 PM

you messin wit ma posts boy!

no Sir.. never I did that .... never i messed with any one's post   if i did it,  it  is all  allah fault not mine.. so blame allah..

YOU GO GIRL ......

I fail to see why I should celebrate a hijab-wearing Muslim woman A American journalist and hijabi Muslim Noor Tagouri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vGQzNrcB_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgnqlZUI4n8

and aand if you see her in that Play Boy Magazine .. YOU BLAME ALLAH .. not her ., allah is truly responsible for her birth and for her rebellious behavior/attitude

Reply #24 - September 28, 2016, 01:31 PM

yes alright miss - i'll blame allah - for creating u.

seriously though, is there any evidence which links that particular youtube vid with that particular school?

I did search on the net yesterday and all I found was a copy of the video on youtube with the usual knee jerk reactions in the comments sections. there was no mention where this video was taken.

sky news had an article on them but once again no mention of the video.

Reply #25 - September 28, 2016, 02:06 PM

yes alright miss - i'll blame allah - for creating u.

heloo  babooshka .,   you can call me  any thing you like...  miss... mullah.. boy...girl...  bigot...beef...dog..donkey.. whatever..  but I am a guy.. just  a  guy..
    seriously though, is there any evidence which links that particular youtube vid with that particular school?

I did search on the net yesterday and all I found was a copy of the video on youtube with the usual knee jerk reactions in the comments sections. there was no mention where this video was taken.

sky news had an article on them but once again no mention of the video.

so what do you think happened  dear babooshka ??
    why did such video came out onto on-line?  
    would you like to know address and phone number of the person who took that video?

so many questions to answer..

Reply #26 - September 28, 2016, 03:41 PM

yeezevee, I know you're a guy. I was just kidding.

yeezevee wrote: so what do you think happened  dear babooshka ??
    would you like to know address and phone number of the person who took that video?

I only asked one question.

the video is very upsetting. i'm just trying to establish where it came from.  we need to be responsible in what we post because there is a lot of muslim bashing going on right now. and its always the innocent that suffer. not an unreasonable request?

i'm not having a pop at you. just trying to get things clear.
     Reply #27 - September 29, 2016, 10:04 AM

let me re-post babooshka's post as she forget to get quotes in to her post
    yeezevee, I know you're a guy. I was just kidding.

Well I just want to make sure.,  now you can call anything you like babooshka
    yeezevee wrote: so what do you think happened  dear babooshka ??

I only asked one question.

the video is very upsetting. i'm just trying to establish where it came from.  we need to be responsible in what we post because there is a lot of muslim bashing going on right now. and its always the innocent that suffer. not an unreasonable request?

i'm not having a pop at you. just trying to get things clear.

That is true and we all  need to learn to differentiate faith and people who follow faiths.,  Now the question in that video is.,

did it happen?  
    is she a mole from SIS or MI6 acting as Arabic teacher in Islamia Schools?
    Does such Islamic school exist in London?

rascals like these .,

Are they real Muslims or London M16 or AMERIKA CIA moles

again so many questions babooshka'

Reply #28 - October 03, 2016, 03:59 PM

yeezevee, you haven't answered my question. what proof do you have of linking the school with the video?

that school is in Yorkshire. I would expect some of the pupils at least to have an Asian/Yorkshire slant to their accent. they all sound so...........middle eastern to me.
     Reply #29 - October 03, 2016, 04:14 PM

on googling ITA found this March 2016 news item :-

Islamic Tarbiyah Academy under investigation over allegations of 'extremist practice'

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/islamic-tarbiyah-academy-under-investigation-over-allegations-extremist-practice-1552549

and their response :-

• 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »