Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Introductory thread V2

(Read 7924 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #30 - October 05, 2014, 05:07 PM

Asbie, forget me & pay attention to this spiffing fellow:

Seems too bold for me.

I like mine more on the shy / nerdy side.  Wink

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #31 - October 05, 2014, 05:07 PM

Hmm... I actually don't have a favourite dessert.
    Reason being my family has a long history of type 2 diabetes and I'm kind of paranoid over it.

I will begrudgingly accept this reason, Qtian. Okay, favorite food?
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #32 - October 05, 2014, 05:08 PM

What are your suicidal tendencies?
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #33 - October 05, 2014, 05:10 PM

I'm a pretty big fan of Karnıyarık. I also like mediterranean cuisine though I find it hard to answer questions such as "what is your favourite" as I tend to have a wide range of preferences.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #34 - October 05, 2014, 05:11 PM

What are your suicidal tendencies?

Low

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #35 - October 05, 2014, 05:12 PM

Favorite book?
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #36 - October 05, 2014, 05:13 PM

Lol I typed suicidal instead of sexual  Cheesy

What are your favourite subjects?
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #37 - October 05, 2014, 05:14 PM

I will begrudgingly accept this reason, Qtian. Okay, favorite food?

Jealous of his restraint then, I'm guessing?  Tongue

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #38 - October 05, 2014, 05:15 PM

Cheesy

Can be one and the same for some.  Shocked

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #39 - October 05, 2014, 05:16 PM

Grin I was wondering. All of a sudden, Qtian's interview got real.

Jealous of his restraint then, I'm guessing?  Tongue

Wait, is having a diet of bread and coffee and hard candies a bad thing?
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #40 - October 05, 2014, 05:18 PM

Wait, is having a diet of bread and coffee and hard candies a bad thing?

Depends on who you're sharing it with.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #41 - October 05, 2014, 05:18 PM

Lol I typed suicidal instead of sexual  Cheesy

Applied math, Statistics, Economics, Psychology, Philosophy of religion, Metaethics and Data science.
    I also love languages in general.

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #42 - October 05, 2014, 05:19 PM

Depends on who you're sharing it with.

Cheesy The only person I've ever met who has no objections to my diet and gladly joins me when invited is the husband's kid brother.
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #43 - October 05, 2014, 05:48 PM

Favorite book?

Currently, this:

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #44 - October 05, 2014, 05:57 PM

Seems too bold for me.

I like mine more on the shy / nerdy side.  Wink

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #45 - October 05, 2014, 06:33 PM

Saw takfirs being made on Zakir Naik
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #46 - October 05, 2014, 06:36 PM

I can imagine his next peace tv conference:

"Brother ask a very good question, is Zakir Naik munafiq?"

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #47 - October 05, 2014, 08:38 PM

Cheesy

Can be one and the same for some.  Shocked

Cheesy Cheesy You are so funny
    Applied math, Statistics, Economics, Psychology, Philosophy of religion, Metaethics and Data science.
    I also love languages in general.

WoW
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #48 - February 03, 2015, 08:39 AM

I can imagine his next peace tv conference:

"Brother ask a very good question, is Zakir Naik munafiq?"

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Lots of questions incomming. Answer at your own pace if there's too many  Tongue
    Did you study at university? What discipline? Any plans for further academics?
    What do you plan to do for a career?
    Views on determinism and the free will debate.
    What were the main reasons you left Islam? What are the strongest arguments (if any) for Islam or God in general?
    What do you think will be the future of Islam and religion? Will they increase or decrease in size, become more mystical or literalist etc?

Sorry for the load of questions. You seem quite intelligent and you're a great contributor here but I don't know much about you  whistling2 Afro
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #49 - February 03, 2015, 12:40 PM

Hey,
    Did you study at university? What discipline? Any plans for further academics?

Not studying at a university anymore, I have a BSc in Mathematics & Economics. I have been thinking about going back for a masters, but I'm too sure now.

What do you plan to do for a career?

I currently (hopefully not for much longer) have a white collar job, I don't like the 9-5 culture. I need to save more money before I can do what I actually want to do for a career.

Views on determinism and the free will debate

My views on the free will vs determinism debate are similar to my views on metaethics. Although I lean toward error theory, I wouldn't claim that I'm sure of my position. With regards to your question, I do see the appeal of semicompatibilism.

What do you think will be the future of Islam and religion? Will they increase or decrease in size, become more mystical or literalist etc?

Your guess is a good as mine. However, I will add that claims such as those made by Lawrence Krauss that "religion could be largely gone in a generation" are wishful thinking to the max. The aforementioned pattern is at odds with what we know about the cognitive science of religion.

What were the main reasons you left Islam? What are the strongest arguments (if any) for Islam or God in general?

There are a few arguments for classical theism which are cool if anything.  One would be the argument from moral agency. Another argument would be in bayesian form: the fact that we exist instead of necessarily not existing. In all honesty, I'm not convinced by any of them.  Since Islam is a specific case of theism, it follows that the probability of Islam being true cannot be greater than the probability of theism being true, I can't think of any Islamic arguments that terribly convince me. I left Islam because in the face of evidence against Islam, I found Islam to be a problem child.

My current position resonates with scepticism, I don't feel the need to build a positive case against Islam as I can just poke holes in extant arguments.

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #50 - February 06, 2015, 11:43 AM

There are a few arguments for classical theism which are cool if anything.  One would be 1) the argument from moral agency. Another argument would be in bayesian form: 2) the fact that we exist instead of necessarily not existing. In all honesty, I'm not convinced by any of them.  Since Islam is a specific case of theism, it follows that the probability of Islam being true cannot be greater than the probability of theism being true, I can't think of any Islamic arguments that terribly convince me. I left Islam because in the face of evidence against Islam, I found Islam to be a problem child.

My current position resonates with scepticism, I don't feel the need to build a positive case against Islam as I can just poke holes in extant arguments.

I need to look into the argument for God as a properly basic belief more, however I don't find it convincing from what I know already. Even it were true that may prove some form of deism, but each religion would still carry the burden of proof.
    1) the AMA is not very common so I'm not too familiar with it but I don't find it compelling. As determinist I believe every thought, decision and action is the result of an individual's inherent nature (their brain chemistry) and their environment. Nothing more, nothing less. The common concept of the "free will" is completely incoherent to me. It is for this reason that I never understood the concept of reward and punishment (i.e. heaven and hell)
    2) I also don't find this compelling either. If there was nothing, we wouldn't be able to discuss this. There being something is the only circumstance under which the conversation can even be held. It's hard to put into words but its so clear in my mind lol.

I suppose I find the fact that everything within the universe is contingent on something else for it's existence. So does this rule also apply to the universe? Once the concept of god comes into the argument it becomes even more confusing with talk about transcendence, timelessness, immateriality and other nonsense. I'd rather be less confused and just accept that the origin of the universe is something I don't know at this point.
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #51 - February 06, 2015, 12:01 PM

I also don't find this compelling either. If there was nothing

This isn't the same as a something coming from nothing argument. I am not very sympathetic toward the "something from nothing" argument since the concept of "something" only makes sense within a spatio-temporal framework whilst absolute nothing is a weird sort of null set. Even if someone doesn't want to grant the above argument, until they demonstrate that creation ex nihilo is possible under standard assumptions about God's omnipotence, they are begging the metaphysical question.

Apologists are very quick to talk about logical possibilities, I'd like to argue that the notion of something coming from absolute nothing is a logical impossibility. Similar to a square circle... it is not coherent, I can't even envisage it.

Formally, (2) takes a Bayesian form. I'll spare you the technical details because inductive arguments of this sort presuppose an understanding of probability calculus. If you're interested, check this: http://fitelson.org/confirmation/skyrms_6.pdf

If we remain faithful to the Bayesian cause, It is antecedently more likely on theism  that "we exist". This is because theism entails our existence whilst ontological naturalism doesn't. In other words, us existing is a logical necessity under theism.

If we want to formulate the above argument in probabilistic terms, it would be the along the lines of (I've simplified it by missing out a few qualifications):

Where "E" denotes existence and "H1,H2" denote the rival hypotheses, theism and naturalism.

P(E | H1) = 1

P(E I H2) ≠ 1  [or P(E I H2) < 1]

∴ P(E | H1) > P(E I H2)

See http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27192.0 for a relevant thread.

Nonetheless, this argument would not make me accept theism but I still think that it's kind of cool. I don't find (2) to be an ultimate argument since it is prima facie rather than ultima facie.

To turn it into an ultima facie argument, you need to conclude that:

P(H1 I E) > 1/2

I don't even know how one could defend the above.

I need to look into the argument for God as a properly basic belief more

Divine hiddenness and the demographics of theism by Maitzen is my favourite challenge to God being a basic belief, i.e. sensus divinitatis/fitrah.

http://philosophy.acadiau.ca/tl_files/sites/philosophy/resources/documents/Maitzen_Hiddenness.pdf

Abstract: According to the much-discussed argument from divine hiddenness, God’s existence is disconfirmed by the fact that not everyone believes in God. The argument has provoked an impressive range of theistic replies, but none has overcome – or, I suggest, could overcome – the challenge posed by the uneven distribution of theistic belief around the world, a phenomenon for which naturalistic explanations seem more promising. The ‘demographics of theism’ confound any explanation of why non-belief is always blameworthy or of why God allows blameless non-belief. They also cast doubt on the existence of a sensus divinitatis: the awareness of God that Reformed epistemologists claim is innate in all normal human beings. Finally, the demographics make the argument from divine hiddenness in some ways a better atheological argument than the more familiar argument from evil.

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #52 - February 07, 2015, 03:26 AM

Good stuff  Afro As for the divine hiddenness and demographics of theism, the facts speak for themselves. Geography is greatest predictor of religious belief. As for the notion that "truth stands out clear from error" (Qur'an 2:256), sociologists may disagree.
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #53 - February 07, 2015, 08:42 AM

Could also be argued that our provisional assessment of truth is a function of error  cool2

Something like T=F(ɛ). I'm sleep deprived though so I'm probably chatting shit.

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #54 - February 07, 2015, 11:57 PM

Since when do you consider yourself an Ex-Muslim? Or did you never really believed?
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #55 - February 08, 2015, 12:14 AM

Stopped believing when I was around 18, took a year or two for me to admit it to myself.

• Introductory thread V2
     Reply #56 - February 08, 2015, 12:25 AM

Did you tell anyone? Family? Friends? Or are you still pretending to be a Muslim?
  • Introductory thread V2
     Reply #57 - February 09, 2015, 10:26 PM

Sister knows, some close friends also know. Haven't told my mother but she probably knows, I don't even bother with pretending to be a Muslim.

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »