Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Children and the Death of God

(Read 2677 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Children and the Death of God
     OP - October 01, 2014, 05:34 PM

So I've started teaching Religious Studies and I teach Year 7's (10-11 yrs) through to 11's (15-16 yrs). In year 7 I teach 5 Year 7 classes and there are introductory topics that we look at each term. In the first term we look at key concepts. A big concept in RS is God. In the second lesson I asked the students to describe God and I can honestly say out of the 125+ students I teach only 5-6 had a vague notion of God. The students classed as Muslim/Sikh offered very obscure descriptions of God as if he were a passing stranger. The next lesson was 'why do some people believe in God?' and when I posed this question there was silence save for a few enterprising students that came up with some reasons such as 'someone could've created everything'. I then asked the students to imagine themselves as believers and answer the 'Big Questions':

1) Does God exist?
    2) Who created the universe?
    3) What is the purpose of life?
    4 Is there life after death?

I was pushed to get any answers out of them so had to get them to discuss with each other and feedback. After some prompting I got the answers one would expect such as providing comfort, answering questions, the intuitive notion of a Creator and how society needs some source of authority. I thought to myself either these students are somewhat dim, nervous or perhaps don't care much for RS. Perhaps I'm an uninspiring teacher.

The next lesson I posed the question 'Why do some people not believe in God'? and almost everyone's hand went up. The answers ranged from God is a myth, there is little to no direct evidence of God's existence, religion is boring or outdated and most frequently 'because science explains everything' with students citing the Big Bang and evolution as prime examples. I showed them clips of Hitchens and Dawkins talking about God and the mess that religion has created and the students began to repeat their arguments. When I asked them to answer the 'Big Questions' from an atheistic perspective it was phenomenal. One Year 7 spoke of subatomic particles and separate universes!

However, the students were unable to answer one question 'what is the purpose of life?' I posited perhaps we are responsible for our own actions and that we endeavour to create our own meaning/purpose based upon our interactions with friends and family as well as having careers or hobbies. They smiled and agreed.

What does this say about the future of our children?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #1 - October 01, 2014, 05:54 PM

Something better than what we've had until now, I hope. Thanks for sharing this!

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #2 - October 01, 2014, 06:17 PM

That they're a lot smarter than I was at that age.

You're a good teacher by the way, my RE lessons were so dull. It was basically rote learning the textbook facts about the worlds religions, there was no room for discussion - I can remember once disagreeing with the teacher on the fact that there was more schisms in Islam than Sunni/Shia but I was told that's irrelevant because that's not what the textbook said  Roll Eyes

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #3 - October 01, 2014, 07:50 PM

Secularism is increasing with each generation.
    I never would have guessed you to be a RE teacher, you seem like an awesome teacher that would teach religions objectively, my school was so rabidly politically correct, we never discussed the negative sides to religion, therefore the topic of God existing or not was never covered.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #4 - October 01, 2014, 10:30 PM

..............What does this say about the future of our children?............

well.,    It says future of these children are bright and they are lucky to have  an atheist rascal as their teacher when they are in at an impressionable age..  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #5 - October 02, 2014, 12:17 AM

So I've started teaching Religious Studies and I teach Year 7's (10-11 yrs) through to 11's (15-16 yrs). In year 7 I teach 5 Year 7 classes and there are introductory topics that we look at each term. In the first term we look at key concepts. A big concept in RS is God. In the second lesson I asked the students to describe God and I can honestly say out of the 125+ students I teach only 5-6 had a vague notion of God. The students classed as Muslim/Sikh offered very obscure descriptions of God as if he were a passing stranger. The next lesson was 'why do some people believe in God?' and when I posed this question there was silence save for a few enterprising students that came up with some reasons such as 'someone could've created everything'. I then asked the students to imagine themselves as believers and answer the 'Big Questions':

1) Does God exist?
    2) Who created the universe?
    3) What is the purpose of life?
    4 Is there life after death?

I was pushed to get any answers out of them so had to get them to discuss with each other and feedback. After some prompting I got the answers one would expect such as providing comfort, answering questions, the intuitive notion of a Creator and how society needs some source of authority. I thought to myself either these students are somewhat dim, nervous or perhaps don't care much for RS. Perhaps I'm an uninspiring teacher.

The next lesson I posed the question 'Why do some people not believe in God'? and almost everyone's hand went up. The answers ranged from God is a myth, there is little to no direct evidence of God's existence, religion is boring or outdated and most frequently 'because science explains everything' with students citing the Big Bang and evolution as prime examples. I showed them clips of Hitchens and Dawkins talking about God and the mess that religion has created and the students began to repeat their arguments. When I asked them to answer the 'Big Questions' from an atheistic perspective it was phenomenal. One Year 7 spoke of subatomic particles and separate universes!

However, the students were unable to answer one question 'what is the purpose of life?' I posited perhaps we are responsible for our own actions and that we endeavour to create our own meaning/purpose based upon our interactions with friends and family as well as having careers or hobbies. They smiled and agreed.

That's hopeful!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #6 - October 02, 2014, 02:23 AM

For Year 7 kids that's pretty damned good. Wouldn't have happened when I was at school. Old geezer

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #7 - October 02, 2014, 08:43 AM

Os, I keep forgetting...
    Were you at school before or after the steam engine was invented?

Cheesy

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #8 - October 02, 2014, 09:10 AM

Newcomen or Watt? grin12

Reply #9 - October 02, 2014, 09:33 AM

Watt  whistling2

Reply #10 - October 02, 2014, 09:54 AM

Watt  whistling2

common Qtian ., If I were you I would have picked  Newcomen.,  By picking James Watt  you are making that Australian outback younger than what he is..........

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #11 - October 02, 2014, 10:44 AM

Watt  whistling2

Before, of course. Tongue

Reply #12 - October 02, 2014, 06:11 PM

mysterysolved

Reply #13 - October 02, 2014, 06:12 PM

Os, I keep forgetting...
    Were you at school before or after the steam engine was invented?

Cheesy

dance Cheesy

Thanks guys. I really enjoy teaching the students. They're really rbight but cautious. Today I taught about the 'History of Religion' and I had them all imagine that they were living in the Stone Age (they were grunting and hunting) and had to write what they felt, saw and thought about the world around them from a ultra-primitive perspective. I then went through various simulations of an earthquake, lightening strike, thunderstorm, flood and a loved one dying. I asked them to answer the question of what happened, how it happened and why it happened from their caveperson worlview. They came up with, after some prompting, '...it had to be a special being that was shaking the world or proding it because he/she was unhappy with the way we were behaving. We also invented the afterlife so that we could join our loved ones.' There is one girl who is a committed Christian and three Muslims in the class who were very open to these ideas. I'm surprised that no parents have phoned or emailed to complain thus far. Tht's not to say that religious people can't/aren't tolerant. I'm just trying to demonstrate some of the diversity in the class.

Next lesson I'm going to teach how 'religion' itself evolved from tribal societies to a fully fledged elite endorsed king-God system and how this culminated into the Judeo-Christian-Islamic faith. Any ideas of how to do this and make it fun at the same time?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #14 - October 02, 2014, 06:58 PM

You seem to be a great and awesome teacher, really! Keep up the good work, I'm sure you are making a great difference for your pupils  Afro

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #15 - October 02, 2014, 07:41 PM

Bright.
     Reply #16 - October 02, 2014, 10:59 PM

I left school in 1976 and I went to a Roman Catholic school. Even then, religious education lessons basically consisted of the teacher doing just about anything she could to try and hold the attention of the class rather than actually impart any religious knowledge.

During the youngest stepdaughter's final year (she's now 24), her class apparently reduced their teacher to tears by mocking her belief. She was at a secular school.
     Reply #17 - October 02, 2014, 11:20 PM

I feel both amused by that and sympathetic for the teacher at the same time.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #18 - May 02, 2015, 03:14 AM

Next lesson I'm going to teach how 'religion' itself evolved from tribal societies to a fully fledged elite endorsed king-God system and how this culminated into the Judeo-Christian-Islamic faith. Any ideas of how to do this and make it fun at the same time?

How'd it go?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #19 - May 02, 2015, 09:52 AM

Thanks guys. I really enjoy teaching the students. They're really rbight but cautious. Today I taught about the 'History of Religion' and I had them all imagine that they were living in the Stone Age (they were grunting and hunting) and had to write what they felt, saw and thought about the world around them from a ultra-primitive perspective. I then went through various simulations of an earthquake, lightening strike, thunderstorm, flood and a loved one dying. I asked them to answer the question of what happened, how it happened and why it happened from their caveperson worlview. They came up with, after some prompting, '...it had to be a special being that was shaking the world or proding it because he/she was unhappy with the way we were behaving. We also invented the afterlife so that we could join our loved ones.' There is one girl who is a committed Christian and three Muslims in the class who were very open to these ideas. I'm surprised that no parents have phoned or emailed to complain thus far. Tht's not to say that religious people can't/aren't tolerant. I'm just trying to demonstrate some of the diversity in the class.

Have any of the parents complained yet?

Edit: actually on second thoughts that's probably asking too much personal information - so best ignore the question.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »