Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Do you know any apostates?

(Read 2023 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Do you know any apostates?
     OP - September 28, 2014, 11:50 PM

I was just interested to see if anyone has heard of/knows any apostates outside of this forum, like a brother of a friend of a cousin even  Tongue And can you talk to them about it? As of today, to my knowledge I know of 6 apostates (not including me) and that's all in one social circle, what a small world! Not to mention, I live in a largely muslim/south asian dominated city so just learning about these guys is a shock. I've only openly told other strong believers of the muslim faith about my apostasy but it was only easy to me as we had just met so they could not hold anything against me  Wink

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #1 - September 29, 2014, 12:30 AM

And what did they say?
     Reply #2 - September 29, 2014, 12:35 AM

3 I think I know outside of CEMB. 2 in the closet. 8 with those from CEMB in my country.

3 more I can think will be counted as "Muslims" but they don't really behave like that.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #3 - September 29, 2014, 12:44 AM

In my case, I have an old friend who would be considered an apostate, but he grew up in a 'cultural muslim' household. Also, he used to criticizes the prophet, when I was a muslim, from time to time. It didn't really effect friendship, even though I was a very devout muslim. But he's not you're typical ex muslim and on this issue of being ex muslim, he's more closer to someone whose never been a muslim.
     Reply #4 - September 29, 2014, 01:39 AM

None with any degree of conviction. Then again, I'm not actively seeking them out until recently anyway, so  Undecided

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #5 - September 29, 2014, 01:49 AM

I spent years in a community of dissident refugees, many apostates among them. All from a Muslim country under Shariah, where only the devout of that particular ruling sect do not mind religion. The rest are sick of it, though it permeates their language and customs. So no one cared much if you were Muslim or not. More they cared about your political affiliations and activities. So I was very lucky, to be exposed to such ideas, because for certain had I been not, I would never have thought survival outside the Ummah was possible.
    But I did not speak of my opinions, because Islam was still considered by my own particular family members as the only motivation for morality, especially for women. Women who abandon Muslim moral codes are women who threaten the family's honor, and my ex (well, not yet ex) was already becoming unstable about such things.
    So I heard it, a lot. But I did not say it.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #6 - September 29, 2014, 08:56 AM

None, although I did meet a Turkish guy recently who gave me reason to suspect he might be or at least falls under the category of cultural muslim only.
     I know a handful of pretend convets but I'm not sure they count?
     Reply #7 - September 29, 2014, 09:05 AM

All my close friends except one are atheist/agnostic.
    So that's 3 close friends, 2 siblings, 3 cousins and many friends/acquaintances and this is in the Arabian Peninsula.

"Ours is the age which is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to."
    هذا من فضل جدي
     Reply #8 - September 29, 2014, 09:28 AM

Not quite. My brother-in-law is not far from being one: he doesn't pray, drinks alcohol, would freak out if my sister ever mentions wearing the hijab, fasts Ramadan only out of habit (used not to fast when younger) and generally doesn't give a damn about religion. He knows about my beliefs (or lack thereof) and he understands how I feel about religion, but I don't think he cares enough to "make the leap" of denouncing God and Mohammed.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #9 - September 29, 2014, 01:34 PM

I know quite a few non-practising/cultural Muslims and several atheists/agnostics, none of them really label themselves as apostates or ex-muslims (even though they clearly are). It's quite the statement to make and for most religion (or the lack of it) is not considered a huge part of their identity.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #10 - September 29, 2014, 02:36 PM

I know 3 apostates in person, one of them through CEMB and the other two I already knew before my own apostacy. I know one cultural Muslim who has only fasted a third of Ramadhan and doesn't pray, drinks and so on. But she has not renounced the existence of God.

And I know at least 3 'public' figures who are apostates.

I would never have imagined there were so many of us.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #11 - September 29, 2014, 08:57 PM

It makes me wonder how many apostates there actually are but they're afraid to/can't speak out about it. Must be loads of us that we don't know about.

And what did they say?

It's usually just a "oh okay" and we move on. I'm actually more than comfortable stating that I'm not a believer if the topic ever arose at college, even in the face of strong muslims. It's just easier when they haven't known you for long.

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #12 - September 29, 2014, 09:11 PM

It's just easier when they haven't known you for long.

Very very true.

"Ours is the age which is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to."
    هذا من فضل جدي
     Reply #13 - September 30, 2014, 12:00 AM

I once seem to remember coming across a statistic that there's as many as 1 apostate(closet or open) in every 100 hundred muslims. This stat sound fairly high to me also I can't remember how the researcher was coming up with these figures because as far as I can see there's no way in knowing. Thinking hard
     Reply #14 - September 30, 2014, 12:15 AM

I once seem to remember coming across a statistic that there's as many as 1 apostate(closet or open) in every 100 hundred muslims. This stat sound fairly high to me also I can't remember how the researcher was coming up with these figures because as far as I can see there's no way in knowing. Thinking hard

Honestly if we're counting closet apostates it's got to be more than that.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #15 - September 30, 2014, 01:41 AM

I read an article some time ago which said about 50% of Danish Muslims are religious. However a Danish imam in another article says only about 10% are practicing.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #16 - September 30, 2014, 02:49 PM

There are so many people who call themselves Muslims as they're born with that but not many are practising so I'm not sure if that counts, then of course there's closet apostates and then the very few that actually come out. I just feel like the figures are much higher but you're right- There's no way of finding out properly

Reply #17 - September 30, 2014, 04:57 PM

All my close friends except one are atheist/agnostic.
    So that's 3 close friends, 2 siblings, 3 cousins and many friends/acquaintances and this is in the Arabian Peninsula.

You know I was going to ask a question relating to that....I bet that many in the gulf know more exmuslims than ex muslims from other regions.
     Reply #18 - September 30, 2014, 07:08 PM

I don't know about that, but I tend to surround myself with apostates because I seem to have repelled the others through my open criticism of religion.

I have lost many friends through this over the years and as mild mannered as I usually am, the injustice brought on by religion gets me animated and feelings tend to get hurt.

هذا من فضل جدي
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »