Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 06:44 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Bible Help Please!

(Read 5377 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Bible Help Please!
     Reply #30 - September 30, 2014, 07:19 PM

Do you mean (5:21-24)? The translation above is fine. In fact the word translated as giant جبار is not a word that specifically means giant. It s means mighty, powerful, tyrannical, The one who forces... and it is in fact one of the names of God al-Jabbar and there is an American basketball player called Abdul-Jabbar.

So it is by no means certain it means giant. Which is kinda why I originally asked the question about the Bible, since the Qur'an often plagiarises the Bible and so if the Bible says giants then that is probably what the Qur'an meant. As I say the classical tafseers certainly thought so.

There are views in Judaism which take the stance of sons of nobility, power, might, etc. One dates back to 70 CE I think.

• Bible Help Please!
     Reply #31 - October 01, 2014, 06:18 AM

Btw the above translation is Pickthall's. He is generally the most literal and mostly keeps to the classical tafseers.

Personally I prefer Arberry. It seems like the most neutral translation. He wasn't Muslim, so wasn't about to manipulate the Quran to make it look good, but equally, he had nothing against Islam and so would not twist meanings to portray the Quran in a negative light.
  • Bible Help Please!
     Reply #32 - October 01, 2014, 04:06 PM

If you are interested in translations, then this is the must-have online Qur'an resource.  I assume many of you know it already, but it is *ridiculously* helpful, providing 7 different English translations for every single verse, and precise word-for-word translations and analysis of each word in each aya, along with cross-references to all other uses of the same root (!).

http://corpus.quran.com/

Unfortunately it does not have the Paret (in German) or Droge translations (new English), which are probably the two best from the standpoint of precision and accuracy!
  • Bible Help Please!
     Reply #33 - October 12, 2014, 01:23 PM

So my mother stopped by after from a wedding out east. I told her about these verses about giants and later parts of Joshua. She didn't believe me until I showed her. I think I have seen the first cracks in her faith forming. Apparently giants are not believable in her view  Cheesy

Is she familiar with the leviathan?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »