Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello, Paul here

(Read 6085 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #30 - September 27, 2014, 04:57 AM

I haven't had the chance to read it, I'm afraid. Lol. It's sad, but I haven't managed to read everything.
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #31 - September 27, 2014, 05:00 AM

Ah fair enough. I read the entire bible when I was twelve and I go back to it occasionally.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #32 - September 27, 2014, 05:05 AM

Cool. I should try to find time to read more.
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #33 - September 27, 2014, 05:09 AM

In my case I did it because I wanted to see for myself if it was true. When I saw it wasn't I moved on to other holy texts for the same reason. Oh and by the way:

Well, I know a little. The Qur'an shows a clear parallel between the Gnostic doctrine of doscetism and the Arabic Infancy Gospel, a text believed to be a seventh century invention popular among Nestorian Christians:

But she pointed to him. They said: How should we speak to one who is a child in the cradle? He said: I am indeed a servant of Allah. He has given me the Book and made me a prophet. And He has made me blessed wherever I may be, and He has enjoined on me prayer and poor-rate so long as I live:
    Qur'an 19:29-31

This has it's basis in the gospel of Thomas in my opinion, which was written in the 2nd century.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #34 - September 27, 2014, 05:19 AM

Hmm... That is proto-Gnostic, right?
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #35 - September 27, 2014, 05:26 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infancy_Gospel_of_Thomas

• Hello, Paul here
     Reply #36 - September 27, 2014, 05:28 AM

With regards to you being a polytheist by virtue of christianity, do you mind if I ask how you come to terms with monotheism and the trinity? I'm always curious how different people look at it.

• Hello, Paul here
     Reply #37 - September 27, 2014, 05:53 AM

Well, I look at the places in the Old Testament where Yahweh refers to another Yahweh and I accept that God is probably very different from a human. I'm too tired to look up the OT references, though. It's 1 AM here.
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #38 - September 27, 2014, 06:04 AM

7:04am here. Grin

The modern christian concept of god is quite different from the old testament and quranic accounts. In those god is separate from us, rather akin to the gods of Olympus ruling us from on high. Whereas today christians tend to think of god as all around us. The way I understand it in today's terms is that when god reveals himself or acts in human affairs, it's not that he leaves heaven, but that he extents himself, so Jesus would be an extension of god rather like the hindu concept of the avatar. Thus, the father and the son are one. Shakey ground, but that seems to be the closest.

• Hello, Paul here
     Reply #39 - September 27, 2014, 08:45 AM

Warm welcome Paul,

I enjoyed reading parts of corinthians too, can't remember what numbers they are but he wrote some nice verses about love, i've heard people describe him as a woman hater, didnt he tell women to cover their hair or shave it off  :(  : /

x   
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #40 - September 27, 2014, 04:17 PM

7:04am here. Grin

The modern christian concept of god is quite different from the old testament and quranic accounts. In those god is separate from us, rather akin to the gods of Olympus ruling us from on high. Whereas today christians tend to think of god as all around us. The way I understand it in today's terms is that when god reveals himself or acts in human affairs, it's not that he leaves heaven, but that he extents himself, so Jesus would be an extension of god rather like the hindu concept of the avatar. Thus, the father and the son are one. Shakey ground, but that seems to be the closest.

Well, I cannot say that I understand the Trinity completely, but, I find adequate mentions of the Trinity in the OT: http://www.answering-islam.org/God/echad.html
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #41 - September 27, 2014, 04:24 PM

Warm welcome Paul,

I enjoyed reading parts of corinthians too, can't remember what numbers they are but he wrote some nice verses about love, i've heard people describe him as a woman hater, didnt he tell women to cover their hair or shave it off  :(  : /

x   

Elsewhere, he says women are equal and for both sexes to submit to each other. I would say he isn't perfect, though, and instructed people to maintain the customs of the day.
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #42 - September 27, 2014, 04:39 PM

I'd be curious to know what Paul would be like if he were around today, how different his writings would be.

• Hello, Paul here
     Reply #43 - September 27, 2014, 05:17 PM

If I had to guess, more snarky, but still spiritual, though, he could be different depending on what he experiences. The Road to Damascus incident affected him greatly.
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #44 - September 27, 2014, 05:50 PM

Well, I know a little. The Qur'an shows a clear parallel between the Gnostic doctrine of doscetism and the Arabic Infancy Gospel, a text believed to be a seventh century invention popular among Nestorian Christians...

Thanks, Paul - that was interesting. Smiley
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #45 - September 27, 2014, 07:40 PM

You're welcome. It is. Of course, the Assyrian Church is still Nestorian. It is possible to find one among the Iraqi Christian refugees and immigrants. And Egyptian Coptic Christians are Monophysite.

There are still a few Gnostics around, either neo-Gnostics or a few in Iran.
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #46 - September 27, 2014, 08:38 PM

What are Monophysite?

I've seen the Copts in Egypt (I'm half Egyptian), their Pope's headgear is awesome. When Pope before the current one died not so long ago they dressed his body up in the full gear and sat him on the throne so ppl could pay their respects, which I thought was a bit strange.
  • Hello, Paul here
     Reply #47 - September 27, 2014, 09:49 PM

A Monophysite believes Christ has only one nature, which is only divine or a synthesis of divine and mortal. It was a reaction to Nestorianism.

As for the enthronement, it seems strange to me too.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »