Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Living forever?

(Read 13450 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Living forever?
     OP - September 23, 2014, 12:43 PM

I was reading an article in Philosophy Now magazine discussing the complications of human beings living forever. What if science found a way to switch off death, so that even though we can still die by accident or sickness, we won't die naturally.

Would you like to live indefinitely?

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
  • Living forever?
     Reply #1 - September 23, 2014, 12:58 PM

Yes, of course.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Living forever?
     Reply #2 - September 23, 2014, 01:00 PM

I was reading an article in Philosophy Now magazine discussing the complications of human beings living forever. What if science found a way to switch off death, so that even though we can still die by accident or sickness, we won't die naturally.

Would you like to live indefinitely?

what magazine? who wrote that nonsense Villiage_Idiot ? Give me the link  I will cut it to its size..   Let me tell you a secret here ..

Science already found the way... And it says., "I was living before I was Born, I am living now and I will live after the death of present living"  Off course we still need to work out details in the middle of that statement.

And That secret i get from a name(Nick name) of a person  who is a member of CEMB.  It is in her Nick name

And she goes by that picture.....   So., my suggestion to you is.,  Don't worry about life and death  or living looong with those ideas foolish scientists in the laboratories working away on that silly problem for no good reason except to satisfy their human ego.

So.,    Keep life simple., Live long..live happily.,  use that golden rule as much as you can in this life.. That is good enough to make you live forever...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Living forever?
     Reply #3 - September 23, 2014, 01:32 PM

This is Ray Kurzweil's thing. I honestly think that it is like a new religion, where Ray Kurzweil is the new "messiah" exploiting desperate people that want to live forever and selling millions of books.

He even said that the first human being that will live to 1,000 years has already been born, which is pretty similar to what both Muhammad and Jesus said ("Judgement Day will come whilst the youngest among you are still alive").
  • Living forever?
     Reply #4 - September 23, 2014, 02:11 PM

This is Ray Kurzweil's thing. I honestly think that it is like a new religion, where Ray Kurzweil is the new "messiah" exploiting desperate people that want to live forever and selling millions of books.

He even said that the first human being that will live to 1,000 years has already been born, which is pretty similar to what both Muhammad and Jesus said ("Judgement Day will come whilst the youngest among you are still alive").

Tonyt., I may agree with most of what you said except those two words. They have said nothing or very little about Present Islam and Christianity.   In fact  THEIR EXISTENCE  as described in present Christianity &  Islam and as described  in the history of Islam and Christianity is itself QUESTIONABLE  

• Living forever?
     Reply #5 - September 23, 2014, 03:08 PM

It depends. If they figure this out when I'm 80 and one giant wrinkle, I'll pass. If they could freeze my age right now, maybe.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #6 - September 23, 2014, 04:01 PM

That pic is awesome.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Living forever?
     Reply #7 - September 23, 2014, 05:15 PM

It depends. If they figure this out when I'm 80 and one giant wrinkle, I'll pass. If they could freeze my age right now, maybe.

I get the impression that figuring out the means to live forever will happen well before how to suspend and/or reverse aging. So some people might want to put up with an existence of enduring decrepitude for a considerable period before its figured out how to turn it around.

And apparently according to my Ethics professor 35 was the age that a bunch of bigwigs in some think tank figured would be optimal, so you've still got a few years left before your prime.  Afro

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Living forever?
     Reply #8 - September 23, 2014, 05:28 PM

Reminds me of the movies Death Becomes Her and Interview with the Vampire.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #9 - September 23, 2014, 06:26 PM

Huh! whaaaat?

• Living forever?
     Reply #10 - September 23, 2014, 08:03 PM

Cheesy! Uh oh. You look at tons of graphic videos and images, and my words are what finally brought out the giant picture of a guy vomiting.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #11 - September 23, 2014, 08:06 PM

So some people might want to put up with an existence of enduring decrepitude for a considerable period before its figured out how to turn it around.

Hmm, maybe I'd stick it out, then. I could spend a hundred years or two knitting.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #12 - September 23, 2014, 10:13 PM

Cheesy! Uh oh. You look at tons of graphic videos and images, and my words are what finally brought out the giant picture of a guy vomiting.

Cheesy

Hi
  • Living forever?
     Reply #13 - September 23, 2014, 10:18 PM

I'm just disappointed that Oasis have been lying to us all this time.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #14 - September 23, 2014, 10:19 PM

Lol toor mate

Hi
  • Living forever?
     Reply #15 - September 23, 2014, 10:45 PM

Hell no to living forever. Let's keep life meaningful and finite.

We'd become an absolute drain on resources and would destroy anything we touched. Humanity is already a cancer to our environment with our excessive pollution and overcrowding. If people lived forever the overpopulation would be awful. We might have to ban giving birth to new people, since if we lived forever and continued to reproduce the population would grow infinitely. There is something so wonderful about a new human coming into this life and seeing things with fresh eyes that is not possible for decrepit and jaded old human beings(even if they are not physically old).

Plus any sort of drug or treatment that would stop aging or give access to eternal life would inevitably be very expensive and extremely high in demand. With limited amounts of such a treatment, we could easily destroy each other attempting to get our hands on it. Look at how big the class divide is now. It would be so much worse if the upper class had access to immortality and amazing medical treatment while the lower class suffered under an eternally youthful and ever increasingly powerful upper class. Management and regulation of such a drug might be nearly impossible.

I do not worship nature or always think we should always submit to the way nature works, but I strongly think attempting such technology would be our destruction. Death is an essential part of nature, and without it everything would become so incredibly imbalanced that quality of life and the things we find so important to us would be drained from our lives

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Living forever?
     Reply #16 - September 23, 2014, 11:10 PM

See, even yeez thinks your best years are ahead of you.  Cheesy

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Living forever?
     Reply #17 - September 23, 2014, 11:29 PM

I'm as white as you can get and I eat a ton of sugar. It ain't getting any better from here. Grin
  • Living forever?
     Reply #18 - September 23, 2014, 11:38 PM

Hell no to living forever. Let's keep life meaningful and finite.

We'd become an absolute drain on resources and would destroy anything we touched. Humanity is already a cancer to our environment with our excessive pollution and overcrowding. If people lived forever the overpopulation would be awful. We might have to ban giving birth to new people, since if we lived forever and continued to reproduce the population would grow infinitely. There is something so wonderful about a new human coming into this life and seeing things with fresh eyes that is not possible for decrepit and jaded old human beings(even if they are not physically old).

Plus any sort of drug or treatment that would stop aging or give access to eternal life would inevitably be very expensive and extremely high in demand. With limited amounts of such a treatment, we could easily destroy each other attempting to get our hands on it. Look at how big the class divide is now. It would be so much worse if the upper class had access to immortality and amazing medical treatment while the lower class suffered under an eternally youthful and ever increasingly powerful upper class. Management and regulation of such a drug might be nearly impossible.

I do not worship nature or always think we should always submit to the way nature works, but I strongly think attempting such technology would be our destruction. Death is an essential part of nature, and without it everything would become so incredibly imbalanced that quality of life and the things we find so important to us would be drained from our lives

The part about needing to control reproduction bothers me, because it would be necessary if we were all going to live forever. I love children and want to have a large family. A childless existence of 1000s of years wouldn't do me, especially as it would be spent in the company of a society I don't fit in with anyway. And, as you said, the class divisions would be terrible.

But yet, if someone were to offer me the means, right now, to switch off death, I'm certain I'd take it...

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
  • Living forever?
     Reply #19 - September 24, 2014, 12:09 AM

I'm as white as you can get and I eat a ton of sugar. It ain't getting any better from here. Grin

No,,no...noooooooo  Stop it.. Stoooooooop., It doesn't matter whether you are white blue green black yellow .. or redhead  But stop getting sugar high  lua.,  We need you here., CEMB needs you.,   cut down .. cut it down....  I think you are from AMRIKA.. kids are abused by their families with this stupid Coke... and other liter glass  McDonald soda sugar .. You get addicted right from the age of  3 or 4..  you a re not going live forever with that sugar intake .. Drink wine.. drink beer..

Sugar Addiction Slideshow

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Living forever?
     Reply #20 - September 24, 2014, 12:19 AM

The part about needing to control reproduction bothers me, because it would be necessary if we were all going to live forever. I love children and want to have a large family.

Why would you need to control reproduction? There are billions of inhabitable planets within the universe that we could easily reach within a few thousand years and colonize. We could probably freeze our bodies during the journey so that it would feel instantaneous.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #21 - September 24, 2014, 12:27 AM

Why would you need to control reproduction? There are billions of inhabitable planets within the universe that we could easily reach within a few thousand years and colonize. We could probably freeze our bodies during the journey so that it would feel instantaneous.

Interesting thought. If we were going to live forever, then surviving long space travel would be possible, wouldn't it? My astronomy is not so good, are there really lots of inhabitable planets out there? Has that been discovered already?

• Living forever?
     Reply #22 - September 24, 2014, 01:26 AM

Well actually, no planet without plant life already established would be immediately habitable, as we need plants to convert CO2 to O2 so we can breathe. And truthfully we do not know how many inhabitable planets there are. But already we've found a few that are in the "habitable zone" (distance from stars) , and based on the fact that there are still billions of unexplored stars out there, we can deduce that there must be a hell of a lot of planets that have potential.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #23 - September 24, 2014, 04:03 AM

Sounds like an absolute nightmare to me.

I think that a lifetime longer than 100 years would get dreary quite quickly. Humans just aren't designed to last that long and if we somehow could reverse or stop aging we might become so chemically imbalanced that we would soon find ourselves as something completely not human.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Living forever?
     Reply #24 - September 24, 2014, 04:08 AM

Life extending procedures are great and all the technology humans have created to reduce suffering and pain are super important, but to just completely give a middle finger to the way things work in nature is not wise. Sure there is suffering and cruelty in nature, but seems like nature has a way of making things work out in sustainable ways unlike the selfish and short term thinking of humans.

-Thomas Paine
  • Living forever?
     Reply #25 - September 24, 2014, 04:13 AM

Sounds like an absolute nightmare to me.

I think that a lifetime longer than 100 years would get dreary quite quickly. Humans just aren't designed to last that long and if we somehow could reverse or stop aging we might become so chemically imbalanced that we would soon find ourselves as something completely not human.

This would make a pretty good idea for a sci-fi/horror movie, I reckon. Humans find a way to switch off death, but after a couple of hundred years the aging process reduces us all to chemically unbalanced lunatics who bring on the nuclear apocalypse and end all life on Earth.

What if you were born to parents who'd had your death gene switched off and you couldn't die naturally? Would you commit suicide after a couple of hundred years of living?

• Living forever?
     Reply #26 - September 24, 2014, 04:37 AM

I'd probably like to live to about a hundred or so and then end it.

I just hope I don't live long enough to deal with such an ethical issue

-Thomas Paine
  • Living forever?
     Reply #27 - September 24, 2014, 10:11 AM

I don't see how transhumanism would be viable from an evolutionary perspective. I mean, you'd have to jettison frequency dependent selection and adaptive plasticity, not to mention adopt an almost crude reductionist determinism as regards phenotypic variation. The concept of going to fixation wouldn't even make sense.
  • Living forever?
     Reply #28 - September 24, 2014, 11:55 AM

People would just keep living until they died from some external cause. I'm pretty sure there are plants and some animals (hydras?) that have essentially eternal life cycles. Even if humans join that group it doesn't mean that selection forces would no longer apply to them.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Living forever?
     Reply #29 - September 24, 2014, 12:04 PM

Evolution is pretty much irrelevant if you're literally manufacturing individual critters to spec. The make-up of the species will follow the whims of culture instead of biology or natural pressures.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »