Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Lebanese Ex-Muslim

(Read 10987 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     OP - September 15, 2014, 09:27 PM

Hello everyone!

I left Islam around nine months ago. I would write about how I left it but I think this is the wrong section for it. Anyway, I'm currently a fourteen year old agnostic atheist residing in South Lebanon. My mother knows about it and she doesn't mind it at all (talk about open-minded). I decided to not to tell my father, I'm avoiding the risk of him knowing. The rest of my family members don't know, however, most of my friends do. I'm a science and tech geek too and I'm one of the very few who hope one day the East will become a secular state. That's not going to happen anytime soon though.  Cheesy

If you have any questions to ask, I'll make sure to reply!

P.S.: Yes, I know I'm young.

Throughout history, every mystery ever solved has turned out to be not magic.
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #1 - September 15, 2014, 09:33 PM

Quote from: Miztorr
    I'm a science and tech geek too

I like you already.

But it's great that you're so well informed at a young age.
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #2 - September 15, 2014, 09:36 PM

Haha, thank you! I think I'm lucky enough to have become skeptic at this age.

It'll give me more time to educate myself on these topics. Smiley

• Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #3 - September 16, 2014, 09:26 AM

Welcome Miztorr Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #4 - September 16, 2014, 09:39 AM

Thank you!

• Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #5 - September 16, 2014, 09:45 AM

Welcome. far away hug

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #6 - September 16, 2014, 09:51 AM

Welcome aboard me hearty  parrot!
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #7 - September 16, 2014, 06:54 PM

Thank you all! I'm flattered. Smiley

• Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #8 - September 16, 2014, 06:59 PM

Welcome! Here's a mother fucking complimentary parrot!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #9 - September 16, 2014, 08:22 PM

So... Miztorr, any specific interests in the fields of science and technology?
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #10 - September 16, 2014, 08:30 PM

Welcome to the forum Smiley

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #11 - September 16, 2014, 08:30 PM

Welcome!
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #12 - September 16, 2014, 09:16 PM

Welcome !! parrot It's great that you're able to confide in your mother about this and you seem very intelligent for someone as young as 14 Smiley

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #13 - September 16, 2014, 09:22 PM

Welcome to the forum Miztorr, have a rabbit!  bunny

Wow, impressed at you getting into atheism/skepticism at such an early age. I'm glad your mother can accept your views. Having someone close to you like that who can really makes a difference. I hope you enjoy it here Miztorr!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #14 - September 16, 2014, 09:24 PM

Think fast!  parrot parrot parrot parrot

Welcome! I'm curious, there are occasionally rumors about Lebanon being one of the less religion-dominated Arabic nations, would you agree with that?

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #15 - September 16, 2014, 09:57 PM

If you were a convert it would go something like this "mashallah akhi, may allah make you steadfast upon this deen. Wallahi allah guided you so young and preserved you for Islam. Alhamdulillah more and more young people are turning to Islam. This is from the signs of our rabb". Anyway, ahlan wa sahlan to ahl al riddah  parrot parrot

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #16 - September 16, 2014, 10:40 PM

Ahlan wa Sahlan Miztorr - Wow so young - welcome to cemb  Afro
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #17 - September 16, 2014, 10:51 PM

I'm impressed that you're sure that you're a lesbian ex-Muslim at such a young age...kidding...I really am impressed though Mister.

I'm just guessing here, but I suppose you have to be even more careful in who you confide your lack of belief to, because of where you live?

Anyways, welcome young sir  Afro

Hi
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #18 - September 16, 2014, 11:44 PM

Welcome! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #19 - September 16, 2014, 11:47 PM

Welcome to CEMB!
    Here's a parrot:  parrot

turnipovich
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #20 - September 17, 2014, 12:00 AM

Welcome.

Lebanon has always struck me as the place in the Middle East I would most like to live (pluralism, great food, Chateau Musar). I hope it remains that way, and I hope you have a wonderful life, you scary geek.
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #21 - September 17, 2014, 12:08 AM

What's scary about him?  Huh?

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #22 - September 17, 2014, 12:20 AM

The same thing that's scary about you - geekiness. And superior intelligence.
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #23 - September 17, 2014, 12:23 AM

Haha, nah. The combination of that with hard work and a goal is much scarier. And a much rarer gift.

Peace.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #24 - September 17, 2014, 03:08 AM

Oh wow, I never would have guessed you were fourteen from the way you type. I was a moron at fourteen  Smiley

Glad to have you here!  parrot
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #25 - September 17, 2014, 07:54 AM

Welcome!  parrot

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #26 - September 17, 2014, 09:05 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words and compliments (and all the parrots/rabbits too).

So... Miztorr, any specific interests in the fields of science and technology?

I'm mostly interested in (astro)physics and biology when it comes to science and CompSci when it comes to technology.

Welcome! I'm curious, there are occasionally rumors about Lebanon being one of the less religion-dominated Arabic nations, would you agree with that?

It is not the less religion-dominated Arabic nation but the less Islam-dominated Arabic nation. Given that we lives here with Christians and Druze, we have a sectarian system which liberals despise. We have no LGBT rights. No civil marriage. And we have some religious requirements for some political positions. For example, the president must be a Maronite Catholic, the prime minister must be a Sunni Muslim and the speaker of the parliament must be a Shi'i Muslim. It's less Islamic but not necessarily less religious.

If you were a convert it would go something like this "mashallah akhi, may allah make you steadfast upon this deen. Wallahi allah guided you so young and preserved you for Islam. Alhamdulillah more and more young people are turning to Islam. This is from the signs of our rabb". Anyway, ahlan wa sahlan to ahl al riddah  parrot parrot

Astaghfirullah, I am no kaffir!

I'm just guessing here, but I suppose you have to be even more careful in who you confide your lack of belief to, because of where you live?

Depends on the people you're coming out too. I make sure my friends are open-minded.

Lebanon has always struck me as the place in the Middle East I would most like to live (pluralism, great food, Chateau Musar). I hope it remains that way, and I hope you have a wonderful life, you scary geek.

It's a geographically beautiful country. Not sure you'd want to visit with ISIS on the borders though. sheikh

And yes, you should be afraid of us geeks. Insert evil laugh

• Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #27 - September 17, 2014, 12:25 PM

parrot

I suppose you have seen the latest maps of this galaxy in this bit of the universe?

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/4/6105631/map-galaxy-supercluster-laniakea-milky-way

On Lebanon, a very strong alliance with Israel is probably the way forward.

There is something about the imperial histories of Rome, Greece and Persia that is critically important in constructing religiously based as against secular societies.

Something as complex as this is needed to unentangle things!

The central drama, which opens the book, is the battle between a papacy and a German imperialism that were both developing fast. Canossa (1077) has entered the world's vocabulary: a German emperor, Henry IV, standing in the snow, barefoot and penitent, outside an Apennine rock-fortress, begging a pope for forgiveness. The pope kept him waiting because he did not quite know what to do (which had been Henry's intention). If he forgave, he let down his German allies; if he did not, he abandoned his own Christian doctrine. But at bottom, there was a question of great significance for the future: should church and state be separate? Emperor and pope had been fighting over who had the right to nominate bishops. Often enough, Germans would arrive with an army in Rome and - sometimes with the support, sometimes not, of Roman aristocrats manipulating mobs - would sit their own Leo or Clement on the rickety papal throne. But as the Cluniac system grew in importance, so did popes, with a sense of their own role as heirs of St Peter. Gregory VII was one such, and, as a German himself, he could play Germans. He was also dealing with a Christianity beginning to re-define itself, and in 1057 there was a battle in Milan as to who should be bishop. Milan was home to a version of what we might now call "bazaar Islam". A reformist movement, the Patarenes, attacked priests for marrying: they wanted celibacy, and one possessed Cardinal, Pier Damiani, attacked women as "tidbits of the devil ... stuff of sin". A fight with Henry IV followed as to who had the right to nominate the Milan bishop, and it spread into Germany, which at the time was in a semi-permanent state of civil war. Holland is very good at sorting out this central question of German history, which led towards the thirty years war and the country's failure to develop as a nation state. Back and forth the battle went, with excommunications, enlistments of thug-allies, family treacheries, until Henry IV decided to go to Canossa. In the short term, Gregory won, but he had been deceived: Henry advanced again, and Gregory died in exile.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2008/oct/04/history.tomholland

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #28 - September 18, 2014, 11:36 AM

Yes, I saw the map.

Of course it is, but only a small percentage of the population would agree to a decision like that.

TL;DR. But as far as I understood, it's how religion negatively affect politics and people's lives.

• Lebanese Ex-Muslim
     Reply #29 - September 27, 2014, 06:52 PM

14 - well done!

That's a great age to free yourself.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »