Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Economics.

(Read 45097 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Economics.
     Reply #90 - January 14, 2015, 06:37 PM

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Economics.
     Reply #91 - January 14, 2015, 06:38 PM

• Economics.
     Reply #92 - January 14, 2015, 06:39 PM

• Economics.
     Reply #93 - January 14, 2015, 06:39 PM

• Economics.
     Reply #94 - January 14, 2015, 06:40 PM

• Economics.
     Reply #95 - January 14, 2015, 06:41 PM

• Economics.
     Reply #96 - January 14, 2015, 06:41 PM

• Economics.
     Reply #97 - February 09, 2015, 10:20 PM

A critique of Keen's Debunking Economics: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz/personal_pages/paul_walker/debunk.pdf

• Economics.
     Reply #98 - February 13, 2015, 01:01 PM

Micromotives and Macrobehavior was originally published over twenty-five years ago, yet the stories it tells feel just as fresh today. And the subject of these stories—how small and seemingly meaningless decisions and actions by individuals often lead to significant unintended consequences for a large group—is more important than ever. In one famous example, Thomas C. Schelling shows that a slight-but-not-malicious preference to have neighbors of the same race eventually leads to completely segregated populations.

• Economics.
     Reply #99 - February 13, 2015, 01:02 PM

The global financial crisis has made it painfully clear that powerful psychological forces are imperiling the wealth of nations today. From blind faith in ever-rising housing prices to plummeting confidence in capital markets, "animal spirits" are driving financial events worldwide. In this book, acclaimed economists George Akerlof and Robert Shiller challenge the economic wisdom that got us into this mess, and put forward a bold new vision that will transform economics and restore prosperity.

Akerlof and Shiller reassert the necessity of an active government role in economic policymaking by recovering the idea of animal spirits, a term John Maynard Keynes used to describe the gloom and despondence that led to the Great Depression and the changing psychology that accompanied recovery. Like Keynes, Akerlof and Shiller know that managing these animal spirits requires the steady hand of government--simply allowing markets to work won't do it. In rebuilding the case for a more robust, behaviorally informed Keynesianism, they detail the most pervasive effects of animal spirits in contemporary economic life--such as confidence, fear, bad faith, corruption, a concern for fairness, and the stories we tell ourselves about our economic fortunes--and show how Reaganomics, Thatcherism, and the rational expectations revolution failed to account for them.

Animal Spirits offers a road map for reversing the financial misfortunes besetting us today. Read it and learn how leaders can channel animal spirits--the powerful forces of human psychology that are afoot in the world economy today.

• Economics.
     Reply #100 - February 13, 2015, 03:05 PM

I am enjoying Ha-Joon Ching Economics The Users Guide

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Economics.
     Reply #101 - February 13, 2015, 03:09 PM

Ah, that's one of the only "Economics 101" sort of books that I would endorse.

The rest tend to be very shaky introductions into neoclassical economics, operating under the assumption that economics is an exact study, whilst the very negation of that statement is more accurate.

• Economics.
     Reply #102 - February 13, 2015, 03:14 PM

I tend to explore heterodoxy as opposed to mainstream works, which is often seen as "nonacademic" by members of the graduate crowd.

• Economics.
     Reply #103 - February 13, 2015, 03:51 PM

Do any of you economics experts have an opinion on Yanis Varoufakis?

His blog's here: http://yanisvaroufakis.eu

With him being in the news I've dug out my copy of the Global Minotaur and I'm intending to give it another go.

http://www.zedbooks.co.uk/paperback/the-global-minotaur
  • Economics.
     Reply #104 - February 13, 2015, 04:02 PM

Wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I have heard of Yanis though I haven't had time to explore any of his material.

Most of my current interests are are relevant to game theory and econometrics.

• Economics.
     Reply #105 - February 13, 2015, 04:05 PM

Fair enough. I think he wrote a book on game theory as well but it's not something I really know anything about.
  • Economics.
     Reply #106 - February 13, 2015, 04:08 PM

Yeah, just checked out his amazon page.

Here's a very neat introduction to some game theoretic concepts, and the book is relatively cheap.

Game theory - a branch of mathematics concerned with conflict and deception - is one of the core concepts of our time. "Prisoner's Dilemma" traces the life of John von Neumann, who constructed the theory, invented the digital computer, and played a key role in the development of the atom bomb. William Poundstone, the author of "The Recursive Universe and Labyrinths of Reason", weaves into the story a history of the pivotal phases of the Cold War and an investigation of game theory's far-reaching influence on public policy today.

• Economics.
     Reply #107 - February 14, 2015, 11:12 AM

After some digging around, it turns out that Yanis' area of specialty is game theory. I'm starting to like this guy.

• Economics.
     Reply #108 - February 14, 2015, 11:33 AM

................ Yanis' area of specialty is game theory. I'm starting to like this guy.

A wonderful guy with great background..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uNIgDmqwI

his lecture starts with true statements... great lecture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se0D3RxyWVA

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Economics.
     Reply #109 - February 14, 2015, 11:58 AM

A wonderful guy with great background..

He's in great shape for a 53 year old tbh, he is also a good speaker.

• Economics.
     Reply #110 - February 14, 2015, 12:00 PM

Taleb discussing antifragility.
    If you ask someone what is the opposite of fragile, they would say robust, solid,strong,unbreakable. But that's not the exact opposite of fragile. If I map fragility mathematically, the opposite of fragile is something that gains from disorder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YmjlLPQDQ&index=1&list=PL9WQe6skaffLUZ_k_0dxgb5WK_647mLbo

• Economics.
     Reply #111 - February 15, 2015, 09:05 AM

You guys should really watch the video linked above. I know that Taleb can be quite eccentric, but he does make some points that are worth serious consideration

• Economics.
     Reply #112 - February 16, 2015, 11:46 AM

Financial crisis as market failure: Joseph Stiglitz

... so the system is a dynamic instability to become even more distorted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_W9SsstO9Y

• Economics.
     Reply #113 - February 16, 2015, 01:55 PM

Yanis Varoufakis on the negotiations with the EU and the trouble with game theory

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-16/nyt-op-ed-yanis-varoufakis-says-greece-not-bluffing-will-not-cross-red-lines-it-has-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9_8gKX5w8ko
    Paul Krugman:
    OK, this is amazing, and not in a good way. Greek talks with finance ministers have broken up over this draft statement, which the Greeks have described as “absurd.” It’s certainly remarkable. On my reading, here’s the key sentence:

"The Greek authorities committed to ensure appropriate primary fiscal surpluses and financing in order to guarantee debt sustainability in line with the targets agreed in the November 2012 Eurogroup statement. Moreover, any new measures should be funded, and not endanger financial stability."

Translation (if you look back at that Eurogroup statement): no give whatsoever on the primary surplus of 4.5 percent of GDP.

There was absolutely no way Tsipras and company could sign on to such a statement, which makes you wonder what the Eurogroup ministers think they’re doing.

I guess it’s possible that they’re just fools — that they don’t understand that Greece 2015 is not Ireland 2010, and that this kind of bullying won’t work.

Alternatively, and I guess more likely, they’ve decided to push Greece over the edge. Rather than give any ground, they prefer to see Greece forced into default and probably out of the euro, with the presumed economic wreckage as an object lesson to anyone else thinking of asking for relief. That is, they’re setting out to impose the economic equivalent of the “Carthaginian peace” France sought to impose on Germany after World War I.

Either way, the lack of wisdom is astonishing and appalling.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/krugman/2015/02/16/athenae-delenda-est/
  • Economics.
     Reply #114 - February 24, 2015, 04:55 PM

'Rethinking economics' - Steve Keen at LSE
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PhGEhv8Z_CU&feature=youtu.be&a=
    Steve Keen's blog: http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/

On Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/profstevekeen
  • Economics.
     Reply #115 - February 24, 2015, 05:01 PM

A pretty technical lecture series on Non Equilibrium Economics

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqs7-zw9kiAKld49M_6xpPYL4TK_1XRzp

• Economics.
     Reply #116 - February 24, 2015, 05:07 PM

The equation at the core of modern macro

I recently attended the Fall Conference at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. It was am excellent conference, with some of the world's most prominent macroeconomists presenting papers - Mike Woodford, Larry Christiano, Martin Eichenbaum, and Nancy Stokey (who was quite amused when I told her she was "one of the founders of behavioral finance"), among others. Bob Lucas, father of modern macro was in attendance, as were fellow bloggers Mark Thoma, David Andolfatto, and Steve Williamson. It was also great to meet the St. Louis Fed's charismatic leader, Jim Bullard.

A lot of interesting papers were presented, but my favorite talk was by Martin Eichenbaum, who is by far the most fun econ seminar speaker I've ever seen. Along with his frequent co-author Christiano, Eichenbaum has taken on the task of making the gigantic "kitchen-sink" macro model that (hopefully) incorporates all of the various "frictions" and "shocks" that the macro community has decided are important for explaining business cycles. Whereas most macro models focus only on one or two features of the economy, Christiano and Eichenbaum and their various co-authors lump them all into one. In 2005, they came out with the Christiano-Eichenbaum-Evans model, which was the basis for the later Smets-Wouters model that has become the standard at central banks. Now they are offering a new and improved version, the Christiano-Eichenbaum-Trabandt model. This model relies much less on price stickiness to produce business cycles, and more on the labor-search models that have become popular since they won the Nobel Prize in 2010.

But during his talk, Eichenbaum said something that really caught my attention: "Maybe next time [we update our model], we can finally get rid of the...Euler Equation."

For the uninitiated, the Consumption Euler (pronounced "oiler") Equation is sort of like the Flux Capacitor that powers all modern "DSGE" macro models. Here's a simple two-period version of it:

(Clicky for piccy!)

Basically, it says that how much you decide to consume today vs. tomorrow is determined by the interest rate (which is how much you get paid to put off your consumption til tomorrow), the time preference rate (which is how impatient you are) and your expected marginal utility of consumption (which is your desire to consume in the first place). When the equation appears in a macro model, "you" typically means "the entire economy".

This equation underlies every DSGE model you'll ever see, and drives much of modern macro's idea of how the economy works. So why is Eichenbaum, one of the deans of modern macro, dismissing it?

Simple: Because it doesn't fit the data. The thing is, we can measure people's consumption, and we can measure interest rates. If we make an assumption about people's preferences, we can just go see if the Euler Equation is right or not!

When I caught up with him later, Eichenbaum was kind enough to refer me to the literature that tries to compare the Euler Equation to the data. The classic paper is Hansen and Singleton (1982), which found little support for the equation. But Eichenbaum also pointed me to this 2006 paper by Canzoneri, Cumby, and Diba of Georgetown (published version here), which provides simpler but more damning evidence against the Euler Equation.

Basically, in the Euler Equation, the interest rate "r" is supposed to be the safe interest rate. Canzoneri et al. look at money market funds, which are basically safe, and compare their interest rates to the rates predicted by the Euler Equation. What they find is a bit startling: there is a negative correlation between the two:

• Economics.
     Reply #117 - February 26, 2015, 05:10 PM

Heavy metal economics: 'V for Varoufakis'
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Afl9WFGJE0M
  • Economics.
     Reply #118 - March 04, 2015, 09:28 PM

The failure of macroeconomics

Since the financial crisis there has been growing criticism of “economics”. From the Queen’s famous question “why did no-one see this coming?” to the Occupy movement and now to the Post-Crash Economics society founded by students at this university, people have questioned the purpose of an economics profession that failed to see the disaster approaching and seemed to have little coherent idea what to do about it.

Nonetheless, a blanket condemnation of "economics" as having failed is I think too wide. I therefore wish to narrow the framing. There are many economists out there doing important work, both in industry and in academia, on labour markets, on the behaviour of firms and households, on trade dynamics, on market functioning. I do not by any means wish to suggest that these have failed. Microeconomics, as a discipline, is going from strength to strength. My beef is with macroeconomics.

Olivier Blanchard, the IMF’s chief economist, recently wrote:

We in the field did think of the economy as roughly linear, constantly subject to different shocks, constantly fluctuating, but naturally returning to its steady state over time. Instead of talking about fluctuations, we increasingly used the term “business cycle.” Even when we later developed techniques to deal with nonlinearities, this generally benign view of fluctuations remained dominant.

The models that macroeconomic practitioners developed reflected this essentially linear view. Blanchard went on to observe that although macroeconomists did not ignore the possibility of extreme tail risk events, they regarded them as a thing of the past in developed countries. Western governments had inflation licked because of inflation-targeting central banks. Bank runs had been solved by deposit insurance and central bank lender of last resort functions. Sudden disastrous reversal of capital flows and balance of payments crises were problems for emerging market economies, not for developed European economies. And anyway, central banks could prevent or stop market “panics” by flooding the place with liquidity. If you get the policy settings right, linear models will work.

Except that they won’t. And that is because these models are not realistic views of how the economy actually works. Representative agents aren’t actually representative of anyone. Rational expectations are driven as much by emotion as logic. Behavioural economics is still in its infancy, but we are now beginning to understand just how much humans are driven by instincts such as herding. And nowhere is this more apparent than in the finance industry.

The financial crisis drew to our attention – once again – the crucial role of the finance industry. No industry that can cause such havoc when it goes wrong should ever be regarded as irrelevant or superficial. On the contrary: financial institutions perform the functions of capital allocation and money transmission which are so vital to our economy. Disruption or interruption of these functions, even if only for a brief time, has terrible consequences.

Yet macroeconomists regarded the behaviour of financial institutions and the motivations of those who work in the finance industry as so unimportant that they could safely be ignored. Representative agent models, flawed though they are, at least attempt to explain the behaviour of households and firms: but the behaviour of banks, and things that don’t call themselves banks but do bank-like things, stayed under the radar until far too late. Macroeconomists described the finance industry as a “veil”, rather than as the beating heart and circulatory system of the modern monetary economy: linear models, if they included banks at all, portrayed them as passive intermediaries, rather than active agents whose rational expectations are not necessarily aligned with those of their customers or, indeed, with the best interests of the economy as a whole.

The failure of most macroeconomists to foresee the financial crisis grew out of their incorrect understanding of how money is created, and perhaps more importantly, how leverage builds up. “Loanable funds” models, which portray the role of the financial sector as intermediating existing funds, are not only wrong, they are dangerous. They do not show how exuberance in credit creation arising from the irrational belief that asset values can keep rising forever carries the seeds of its own destruction. And they encourage belief in exogenous factors as the cause of financial crises – the “Asian savings glut” springs to mind. The huge increase in broad money prior to the financial crisis did not come from Asia, or from Mars. It was created by American and European banks.

Leaving banks out of economic models, or – worse – modelling their money-creating function incorrectly, made it impossible for mainstream economists to understand the significance of the build-up of credit that led to the financial crisis. The warnings came principally from people outside mainstream economics, particularly the followers of Hyman Minsky. After the crisis, Minsky’s “financial instability hypothesis”, long consigned to a dusty shelf in a dark cupboard, suddenly became hot news. Unsurprisingly, since we had just lived through something that looked very like a "Minsky moment".

Clearly, the exclusion of the financial industry from models of the macroeconomy was a major omission. Equally clearly, the fact that most macroeconomists did not, and to a large extent still do not, understand the mechanisms by which money is created and circulated in the modern monetary economy, is a big, big problem. Central banks are now “adding” the financial sector to existing DSGE models: but this does not begin to address the essential non-linearity of a monetary economy whose heart is a financial system that is not occasionally but NORMALLY far from equilibrium. Until macroeconomists understand this, their models will remain inadequate.

But macroeconomists are not oracles. It is their job to identify trends, not to predict specific events; it is both unreasonable and dangerous of the public to expect them to play the prophet. Macroeconomists have been cast in the role formerly held by priests and shamans, a role they appear to have welcomed though they are ill-equipped to perform it. They have garbed themselves with the cloak of infallibility and the breastplate of omnipotence. The financial crisis stripped them of these trappings, revealing them to be, underneath, somewhat skimpily clad.

It is fair to say that the academic macroeconomists have done a lot of soul-searching since the financial crisis, and there are important signs that things are beginning to change. But some of the most influential people in macroeconomics have spent their lives developing theories and models that have been shown to be at best inadequate and at worst dangerously wrong. Olivier Blanchard’s call for policymakers to set policy in such a way that linear models will still work should be seen for what it is – the desperate cry of an aging economist who discovers that the foundations upon which he has built his career are made of sand. He is far from alone.

At the Bank of England's One Bank Research Agenda seminar yesterday, Deputy Governor Ben Broadbent commented:

Economists cling to old ideas in the face of overwhelming evidence that they are wrong, or they choose the evidence that suits their particular framing.

Macroeconomics has indeed failed: not because of an intrinsic inadequacy in the discipline itself, but because of confirmation bias and selection bias among macroeconomists. Who would have thought it?

• Economics.
     Reply #119 - March 04, 2015, 11:48 PM

An impressive talk, Sutherland is a very good public speaker:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4G5dUOWKFZI

• Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »