Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Economics.

(Read 45145 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Economics.
     Reply #30 - October 03, 2014, 10:18 PM

Haha, I haven't added anything of substance in some time... I will start posting my own thoughts whenever I can be bothered to.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Economics.
     Reply #31 - October 03, 2014, 10:41 PM

This probably belongs more in my "math" thread, but I will post it here.

A cool thought experiment in metrics:

assume that n=40 (population=400), μ=658

we can compute y bar through:

And let's assume that we get an answer such as 650.

I will now pose a question... since our sample mean was drawn from n=40 there must be many different values for y bar, how many possible values are there?

Well, the answer is a lot of fucking values:

(400 40) = 400!/ (400-40)!40!

After this, we could theoretically compute the gaussian(s) for the distribution of possible sample means which gives us a neat proof of the intuitive idea that the sampling uncertainty decreases as n increases. In other words, as n increases, the distribution of Yn bar tends toward the population mean.

• Economics.
     Reply #32 - October 03, 2014, 11:25 PM

Definitely should be in the maths thread this. Unfortunately we don't have one; we only have a singular math thread, which means we are not allowed to do more than the one sum in there that has already been done.

I see what you are saying above. Well mostly. Is this the standard proof for sample size increasing certainty? Or just you thinking about it?

Hi
  • Economics.
     Reply #33 - October 03, 2014, 11:32 PM

Nah, just thinking about it... it's pretty basic but it gets the job done imo.

This is the slightly more nuanced proof, but I (obviously) prefer mine:

• Economics.
     Reply #34 - October 03, 2014, 11:36 PM

Definitely should be in the maths thread this.

Afro

• Economics.
     Reply #35 - October 03, 2014, 11:39 PM

Afro

maths
  • Economics.
     Reply #36 - October 03, 2014, 11:40 PM

Nah, just thinking about it... it's pretty basic but it gets the job done imo.

I'm too far removed from pure maths nowadays to tell you just how good that is. But you're a clever guy Qtain. Shouldn't you be making lots of money somewhere, perhaps designing rockets or something? You're wasted on here.

Hi
  • Economics.
     Reply #37 - October 03, 2014, 11:41 PM

maths

Lol  dance

Hi
  • Economics.
     Reply #38 - October 03, 2014, 11:41 PM

Lol Lily, it's just a bit of fun since musivore hates the term "math".

• Economics.
     Reply #39 - October 03, 2014, 11:42 PM

I'm too far removed from pure maths nowadays to tell you just how good that is. But you're a clever guy Qtain. Shouldn't you be making lots of money somewhere, perhaps designing rockets or something? You're wasted on here.

No way lol, I'm not a pure mathematician.

• Economics.
     Reply #40 - October 03, 2014, 11:52 PM

This guy is a physicist and econometrician (unique combination).
    He makes some cool videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpartacanUsuals/videos

• Economics.
     Reply #41 - October 04, 2014, 11:19 AM

Quote from: blogs.ft
    Dear Tom,
    I am not sure which decision you wish me to evaluate: the decision to pick your A-levels without decent advice, or the decision to pursue a mathematical subject with no mathematical talent. Neither looks smart. You have theorised on the basis of neat concepts without any real-world knowledge – in some ways, ideal preparation to be an economist.

Cheesy

• Economics.
     Reply #42 - October 05, 2014, 10:42 PM

Lol

Scotland and Catalonia are straws in the wind for the whole of Europe | Paul Mason

http://gu.com/p/426x7

This is more political economics, which is more what I'm into these days. It paints a bleak picture of the landscape in Europe. I suppose the picture already exists, and this is one analysis of it.

Anyways, thought I'd share, since I've started feeling guilty about still not reading your thread properly.

Hi
  • Economics.
     Reply #43 - October 05, 2014, 10:47 PM

Thanks for sharing.
    And lol, there is no need for you to feel guilty.

• Economics.
     Reply #44 - October 05, 2014, 10:50 PM

Going to start posting stuff about econometrics soon, it's one of my growing interests.
    Could also post stuff about game theory, but it is better placed in the math thread.

• Economics.
     Reply #45 - October 06, 2014, 08:49 PM

maths

Afro

• Economics.
     Reply #46 - October 06, 2014, 08:52 PM

Cheesy

Oh deary me!
  • Economics.
     Reply #47 - October 06, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote from: lily
    Oh deary me! Sorry Qtian, you were correct. I now prefer math to "maths".

• Economics.
     Reply #48 - October 06, 2014, 11:36 PM

Love you too Qtian!
  • Economics.
     Reply #49 - October 06, 2014, 11:38 PM

No problem, just don't do it again, ok?

Cheesy

• Economics.
     Reply #50 - October 10, 2014, 10:44 PM

Some Open Economy Macro:

The Impossible trinity

Summation of the argument (through contradiction):

- Some may argue that having a fixed exchange rate policy, monetary policy & free flow of capital at the same time is a necessarily good thing.

- However, this is wrong in the view of macroeconomics, it is argued that this sort of reasoning violates the "impossible trinity" (aka policy trilemma).

- This occurs where there are three choices which the government cannot simultaneously adopt. It is argued that they should only adopt two of these three (simultaneously).

- The three choices are : Fixed exchange rates, free capital movements & setting their own interest rate.

If country A tries to choose all three at the same time, the following happens:

- If A tries to lower it's IR in order to stimulate their economy during a recession. In order to do this, they must increase the money supply which in turn decreases the IR.
    However, when the IR of A is lower than that of its trading partners, everyone will want to put their money overseas due to free capital movements.

- So they sell their own currency on the foreign exchange market and buy foreign currency.  However, this increases the supply of country A's currency on the foreign market, creating a downward pressure on their currency.

- Since the government of A wishes to maintain a fixed ER, it will have to sell foreign currency from it's reserves to buy back it's own currency, increasing the demand for their currency.

- However, if govt. A keeps doing this, it will run out of foreign reserves & has lost autonomy over its own interest rates.

• Economics.
     Reply #51 - October 13, 2014, 05:58 PM

This is a very good graduate level text regarding the history of economic thought. It is surprisingly succint for its size.
    Currently halfway through, I've been meaning to develop my understanding of political economy for some time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wealth-Ideas-History-Economic/dp/0521691877

• Economics.
     Reply #52 - October 27, 2014, 08:52 PM

I am a member of monetary reform movement here in Israel, In the UK there's a very professional movement for this matter, it's called positive money.
    Here is their youtube page
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PositiveMoneyUK

This is their very simple and amazingly understandable for the common man series "Banking 101"
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyl80QTKi0gPBcb32paMvXxcq7UUeJskV

I strongly suggest taking a look.
  • Economics.
     Reply #53 - October 27, 2014, 11:54 PM

Qtain: where the fuck have you been? I've missed you bro.

Welcome to the money counting club khalil(s). Is there more than one of you btw?

Hi
  • Economics.
     Reply #54 - January 08, 2015, 08:37 PM

Hey Musi, sorry for the late reply. I've had a lot of things to sort out.

Hope you're well.

• Economics.
     Reply #55 - January 08, 2015, 09:13 PM

Alfred Marshall, arguably the figure most responsible for the creation of neo-classical economics, commented in a letter on the relation between mathematical and verbal arguments in his field. He explained that he worked his arguments out mathematically to make sure they were right. Having done so, he translated them into English. If he could not translate them into English, he burned the mathematics.

This approach is needed again. Economists try to bully other social scientists with their "mathematical prowess" but crumble in front of actual mathematicians.

• Economics.
     Reply #56 - January 08, 2015, 09:26 PM

Ah, my master has returned. I can stop pretending I'm not a poodle now, and nestle in your quantitative easing.

Seriously bro, hope you've been well and that you've been catching all the smiles that your looks deserve?

Hi
  • Economics.
     Reply #57 - January 08, 2015, 09:30 PM

The last few months have been pretty fucked up to be honest, I've been indifferent between taking the train to work and throwing myself in front of it. Though I'm feeling better now, also thinking whether or not to do a masters.

How are you?

• Economics.
     Reply #58 - January 08, 2015, 09:34 PM

Do masters? You saved enough? How difficult would it be to work your way back up to the level you are on if you leave now?

What's been wrong mate? It's easy to say this from where I'm sat, but you have so much going for you. It's not good that even someone like you has had to struggle  Cry

Hi
  • Economics.
     Reply #59 - January 08, 2015, 09:36 PM

If you want to know why the current modus operandi of mainstream Economics is (analytically) wrong, Keen has a great crash course in Non-Equilibrium Economics.

(It gets quite mathematical towards the end)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqs7-zw9kiAKld49M_6xpPYL4TK_1XRzp

• Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »