Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Math thread, Y or N?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Yes

Topic: Could we get a Math section?

(Read 35329 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Could we get a Math section?
     Reply #210 - July 27, 2015, 08:45 PM

Your actual answer to the question was probably irrelevant, anyways. These types of question are for the interviewer to observe your methodology. I.e. how you approach the question rather than what your final answer is.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #211 - July 27, 2015, 09:00 PM

The fundamental theorem of finance, lmao:

Hint:  The comedy isn't related to topology.

Reply #212 - August 01, 2015, 02:58 PM

Nobody else found ^ funny?

Plebeians...

Reply #213 - August 03, 2015, 09:19 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

That is rather fundamental Tongue

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #214 - August 03, 2015, 09:37 PM

Hardly. It's an attempted expression of the principle of no riskless arbitrage, which isn't without its share of problems.

Reply #215 - August 03, 2015, 11:14 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

Omg, I had to read this several times to get the joke. I didn't. But I started laughing at my efforts, and at my resulting migraine from the concentration, and finally at the sense of humour plane that you operate on Q.

There are only two people who would ever get your 'higher' jokes Q. Unfortunately, the second person died some time back, having invented relativity, inspired the atom bomb, and fucked his cousin a good few times.

Hi
     Reply #216 - August 03, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote from: musi
    Omg, I had to read this several times to get the joke. I didn't. But I started laughing at my efforts, and at my resulting migraine from the concentration, and finally at the sense of humour plane that you operate on Q.

The humour is largely related to philosophical naivety, the mathematics isn't the real issue. Allow me to quote physicist and long time practitioner of mathematical finance, Emanuel Derman:

Quote from: Page 142 of Models.Behaving.Badly.
    How can anyone think that this incomprehensible statement is fundamental to finance, a field whose focus is the management of money and assets?

Reply #217 - August 03, 2015, 11:36 PM

In that case, I should have got that. In fact, my reasons for laughing were not far off from that statement. I certainly found it hysterically incomprehensible.

Do you have any other, real maths jokes?

I'll start with a weak one:
    Q: what happened to Windows 9?
    A: Well 7 8 9.

Hi
     Reply #218 - August 03, 2015, 11:45 PM

lol

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=14594.120

Reply #219 - August 17, 2015, 10:31 PM

Came across the following via r/badlogic...how the fuck did this person get 24 upvotes?

They obviously don't understand the incompleteness theorems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/35aj75/mod_the_red_pill_is_not_democratic_it_cannot_be/cr2ki3y

Reply #220 - August 17, 2015, 10:38 PM

Unprovable axioms

The fuck is this person talking about. Axioms aren't supposed to be proven, that's why they are axioms.

Reply #221 - August 18, 2015, 02:15 AM

The humour is largely related to philosophical naivety, the mathematics isn't the real issue. Allow me to quote physicist and long time practitioner of mathematical finance, Emanuel Derman:

I remember in an intro business finance class our professor once asked a rhetorical question, and I responded by questioning whether markets could be considered composed of rational maximizers, and he gave a nervous laugh. Good times.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #222 - August 18, 2015, 11:20 AM

Homo economicus is for all intents and purposes, a mistake. The rationality assumption shouldn't be taken super seriously. It should be up for revision, kind of like basic macroeconomic models which assume zero bonds and capital at the start, for the sake of simplicity. This assumption can be revised at later stages. The problem is that "rationality" forms the crux of many things in mainstream finance, such as The Efficient Market Hypothesis. See bounded rationality as a response to the orthodox rationality assumption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounded_rationality#Model_Extensions

Reply #223 - August 18, 2015, 11:31 AM

Then you have measures of risk such as VaR which grossly oversimplify the impact of shit that happens in the tails of a distribution. VaR operates on the dangerous assumption that past events can be used to form an accurate model of future events.

There's a fine line between bad reasoning and dangerous reasoning. Unfortunately, much of financial theory has crossed this line.

Reply #224 - August 22, 2015, 09:57 PM

Proof of negation and proof by contradiction

I am discovering that mathematicians cannot tell the difference between “proof by contradiction” and “proof of negation”. This is so for good reasons, but conflation of different kinds of proofs is bad mental hygiene which leads to bad teaching practice and confusion. For reference, here is a short explanation of the difference between proof of negation and proof by contradiction.

By the way, this post is something I have been meaning to write for a while. It was finally prompted by Timothy Gowers’s blog post “When is proof by contradiction necessary?” in which everything seems to be called “proof by contradiction”.

As far as I can tell, “proof by contradiction” among ordinary mathematicians means any proof which starts with “Suppose …” and ends with a contradiction. But two kinds of proofs are like that:

Proof of negation is an inference rule which explains how to prove a negation:

To prove ¬ϕ, assume ϕ and derive absurdity.

The rule for proving negation is the same classically and intuitionistically. I mention this because I have met ordinary mathematicians who think intuitionistic proofs are never allowed to reach an absurdity.

Proof by contradiction, or reductio ad absurdum, is a different kind of animal. As a reasoning principle it says:

To prove ϕ, assume ¬ϕ and derive absurdity.

As a proposition the principle is written ¬¬ϕ⇒ϕ, which can be proved from the law of excluded middle (and is in fact equivalent to it). In intuitionistic logic this is not a generally valid principle.

Admittedly, the two reasoning principles look very similar. A classical mathematician will quickly remark that we can get either of the two principles from the other by plugging in ¬ϕ and cancelling the double negation in ¬¬ϕ to get back to ϕ. Yes indeed, but the cancellation of double negation is precisely the reasoning principle we are trying to get. These really are different.

I blame the general confusion on the fact that an informal proof of negation looks almost the same as an informal proof by contradiction. In order to prove ¬ϕ a mathematician will typically write:

“Suppose ϕ. Then … bla … bla … bla, which is a contradiction. QED.”

In order to prove ϕ by contradiction a mathematician will typically write:

“Suppose ¬ϕ. Then … bla … bla … bla, which is a contradiction. QED.”

The difference will be further obscured because the text will typically state ¬ϕ in an equivalent form with negation pushed inwards. That is, if ϕ is something like ∃x,∀y,f(y)<x and the proof goes by contradiction then the opening statement will be “Suppose for every x there were a y such that f(y)≥x.” With such “optimizations” we really cannot tell what is going on by looking just at the proof. We have to take into account the surrounding context (such as the original statement being proved).

A second good reason for the confusion is the fact that both proof principles feel the same when we try to use them. In both cases we assume something believed to be false and then we hunt down a contradiction. The difference in placement of negations is not easily appreciated by classical mathematicians because their brains automagically cancel out double negations, just like good students automatically cancel out double negation signs.

Reply #225 - January 13, 2017, 09:20 PM

Proof of negation and proof by contradiction

Requires a bump.
  • Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8« Previous thread | Next thread »