Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Math thread, Y or N?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Yes

Topic: Could we get a Math section?

(Read 36422 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Could we get a Math section?
     Reply #60 - September 17, 2014, 05:45 PM

Haven't had my first coffee of the day. Wink

*goes to edit post*

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #61 - September 17, 2014, 05:49 PM

Ever since she was a teenager, my little sister has written things with the British English spelling, with a whole bunch of unnecessary u's and whatnot. Seeing as we're a family that pretty much just crawled out of an Appalachian swamp, that has to pay some of our debts, right?

This the one I'm still waiting for you to give me contact info on?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #62 - September 17, 2014, 05:55 PM

@ Qtian, I texted my mother to ask, and apparently she's studying international law at SOAS?

And yes, Quod. Her hair is now a faint pink. A pink she won't be able to see anymore if you turn her world dark and gray with your absence after a romance, it seems. Grin
     Reply #63 - September 17, 2014, 05:56 PM

Seriously, what's with the lack of details? Where's the adding us both to an online conversation where we can get to know each other? You are failing me!

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #64 - September 17, 2014, 06:11 PM

I'm just imagining some point in the future when she's sitting on the couch, silently crying and eating ice cream, and I'm ruing the day I set you up. Grin
     Reply #65 - September 17, 2014, 06:17 PM

If she is worthy, what have you to fear?

Reply #66 - September 17, 2014, 06:17 PM

I'm just imagining some point in the future when she's sitting on the couch, silently crying and eating ice cream, and I'm ruing the day I set you up. Grin

So tell her about contraceptives (I know they don't have those in the swamp).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #67 - September 17, 2014, 06:17 PM

@ Qtian, I texted my mother to ask, and apparently she's studying international law at SOAS?

And yes, Quod. Her hair is now a faint pink. A pink she won't be able to see anymore if you turn her world dark and gray with your absence after a romance, it seems. Grin

Oh, SOAS...

If she doesn't like weed, she's in for a surprise. There's tons of "liberal" types at that uni who smoke weed all day.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #68 - September 17, 2014, 06:23 PM

If she is worthy, what have you to fear?

Yes, that's specifically the line that'll echo over and over in my head when I'm sitting there being rueful. Grin

So tell her about contraceptives (I know they don't have those in the swamp).

Yeah, down in Kentucky we think that pulling out every other time and praying that Jesus doesn't surprise us with a baby is all the contraception we need. I have a ton of cousins.
     Reply #69 - September 17, 2014, 06:26 PM

Oh, SOAS...

If she doesn't like weed, she's in for a surprise. There's tons of "liberal" types at that uni who smoke weed all day.

Eh, I went to two different colleges in Hawaii, so if I, boring knitter, could adjust, I'm sure she'll be fine. Grin
     Reply #70 - September 17, 2014, 06:27 PM

Yeah, down in Kentucky we think that pulling out every other time and praying that Jesus doesn't surprise us with a baby is all the contraception we need. I have a ton of cousins.

That's good, otherwise you'll be outbreeded by the,,,who don't Americans like? Mexicans? Muslims? Atheists?

Reply #71 - September 17, 2014, 06:29 PM

The list will be too long if you want all the sorts that we don't take too kindly to in the south.
     Reply #72 - September 17, 2014, 06:30 PM

This is why it's important for god fearing southern people to keep breeding. Afro

Reply #73 - September 17, 2014, 06:37 PM

I don't know how many more of my cousins Kentucky could sustain without collapsing into itself.
     Reply #74 - September 17, 2014, 06:56 PM

Still, can be useful having such an extended family.

Reply #75 - October 04, 2014, 08:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yDWPi1pZ0Po

Reply #76 - October 04, 2014, 10:23 AM

Much cool Qtian. the funny thing is that solving such games algorithmically, essentially ends all theory related to the game, and kills it.

Will be bittersweet when it happens to chess, but at least the upside is that the process of gathering the data to solve it could offer some interesting insight into the game that could rapidly confirm/explode existing theories.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #77 - October 04, 2014, 10:55 AM

I agree asbie. I mean, according to Zermelo we can hypothetically arrive at an optimal strategy for chess.
    Idk though, it would take an extremely powerful system to analyse the >googol possible variations.

Reply #78 - October 04, 2014, 11:05 AM

Funny how Rey Mysterio thought he had debunked the entire video. I must add that in a perfect game, P2 would know that they have already lost after the first move.
    How depressing.

Reply #79 - October 04, 2014, 02:01 PM

Just found how I was taught in Infants and Juniors. 

Director: Eric Albany

The 1960s Nuffield Primary Mathematics programme was a huge success. The Nuffield Maths 5/11 revision aimed to give more practical, down-to-earth guidance to help teachers apply the ideals and principles of the first version. Pupil material was developed too.

Nuffield primary maths remained committed to the notion that children learn through practical work, for which printed resources are no substitute. Teaching starting with activity and experimentation, leading to thinking and communication, and ending up with the acquisition of skills and reinforcement. As well as finding out and discovering things about mathematics, children needed to be told about mathematics too – particularly when new vocabulary is involved.

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-mathematics-5-11

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #80 - October 04, 2014, 02:40 PM

I think that's a cool idea for young students.

Reply #81 - October 06, 2014, 02:24 PM

Game theory is fun, this question was deceptively simple.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/957878/game-theory-connect-four?noredirect=1#comment1970958_957878

Reply #82 - October 12, 2014, 09:03 AM

For those interested in probability, statistics & game theory.
    An example of bayesian updating:

Reply #83 - October 12, 2014, 05:21 PM

Any actuaries on this forum?
    Today is the first time I've done stuff on risk in ages, I feel for you guys...

Reply #84 - October 12, 2014, 06:32 PM

Ok, this "joke" made me cry, watch the first minute of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pBdH7YzX0

Reply #85 - February 02, 2015, 03:41 PM

I've been playing around with MathJax/LaTex, I'm getting pretty good at formatting equations.
    Here is an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwoC9kS1iCzGUHVBeWJrWGs4eU0/view?usp=sharing

Reply #86 - February 13, 2015, 03:47 PM

Quote from: The Universal History of Numbers, page 577
    The Indo-Arabic system came to Europe around 1000 CE. Resistance ranged from accountants who didn’t want their livelihood upset to clerics who saw the system as ‘diabolical,’ since they incorrectly assumed its origin was Islamic. European commerce resisted until the 18th century, and even in scientific circles usage was limited into the 17th century.

The prior difficulty of doing arithmetic is indicated by college placement advice given a wealthy German merchant in the 16th century: “If you only want him to be able to cope with addition and subtraction, then any French or German university will do. But if you are intent on your son going on to multiplication and division — assuming that he has sufficient gifts — then you will have to send him to Italy.

Reply #87 - February 15, 2015, 05:36 AM

A good discussion on incompleteness, from MSE.

Why bother with Mathematics, if Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem is true?

OK, maybe the title is exaggerated, but is it true that the rest of math is just "good enough", or a good approximation of absolute truth - like Newtonian physics compared to general relativity? How do we know that our "approximation" is the right one? Another analogy: Fundamental physics is also not well-fundamented (where is the Higgs boson?) but most of the rest of the physics is on top of it, and it does its job well (it's a good-enough approximation).

Here are two of the better replies:

Your writing demonstrates some pop-math-esque misconceptions surrounding Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems. The analogy between math and physics is inaccurate, for one, because physics is specific to the contingent governing rules of our universe, whereas math is transcendent in that it looks toward truths that must hold in every possible world, i.e. are logically necessary. If I draw a curve on a piece of paper and ask you to model it, just because you only find yourself capable of approximating the curve doesn't change the reality that there are true facts about curves in general that can be investigated and discovered. Just because you don't know everything about the user "anon" on Math.SE doesn't mean you're incapable of knowing things about human beings in general. Just because we can't yet for certain nail down the exact form of the universe doesn't mean we can't figure out the logic of space and time and combination at all.

The key to understanding this is: Gödel did not demonstrate any of mathematics was incorrect or inaccurate in any way. I'm not sure how you even came to that misinterpretation. The theorems show, in a nutshell, that any formal mathematical theory with a given set of axioms (starting assumptions) and a given set of inference rules (ways of deducing things), which is capable of expressing basic arithmetic, is only self-consistent if it is incomplete (there exists some true proposition that the theory is capable of expressing but not proving) and if it is incapable of proving its own consistency.

The consistency of mathematics isn't really a problem; we can be confident of all of our theorems exactly as much as we can be confident in all of our axioms taken as a whole. The only real contentious one I'm aware of is the Axiom of Choice, but it's instructive to know that we have yet to have ever generated a contradiction or falsehood of any sort from our standard axioms. So why not do mathematics, as a society (I leave out personal reasons for doing math, as that is essentially another discussion entirely), if it has a pristine, 100% perfect track record of getting everything right? If absolute certainty is the standard for the worth of human endeavor as you tacitly posit, then that would make mathematics literally the most respectable endeavor humans have ever achieved.

The incompleteness of mathematics is likewise not really a problem; all of the ideas we've discovered so far that are undecidable, are either so extremely far-removed from reality and our lives that they are effectively insignificant or meaningless to us, or they are still far-removed but capable of being proven within a stronger system. Incompleteness means we will never fully have all of truth, but in theory it also allows for the possibility that every truth has the potential to be found by us in ever stronger systems of math. (I say in theory because, technically, the human brain is finite so there is an automatic physical limit to what we can know.) In a way, instead of being unsettling, incompleteness should almost be reassuring and reinvigorating to mathematicians, because it means the adventure is never-ending.

The first incompleteness theorem says that, under appropriate conditions, and for appropriate definitions of "true" and "provable," there exist statements that are true but not provable. This is interesting, but not a big deal. It is more or less a consequence of the existence of nonstandard models in first-order logic, which is an interesting feature of first-order logic, but mathematics is more than first-order logic.

The second incompleteness theorem says that, again under appropriate conditions, a sufficiently strong formal system can't prove its own consistency. Okay, this is kind of a big deal, but in practice it doesn't matter as much as it sounds like it does. Mathematicians don't actually do everything in a fixed formal system. There is a whole subject called reverse mathematics dedicated to finding the weakest formal systems that are capable of proving various things, which vary widely.

There is a possibility that ZFC, the formal system that sounds like it's what mathematicians work in (but isn't really), could be inconsistent. So what? If that ever happened we would just find another set of axioms to use. ZFC is a ridiculously strong formal system and in practice we never use its full strength, so it wouldn't really matter if it were inconsistent.

Mathematics is not the study of what formal statements can be proven in ZFC (although there are mathematicians who study this kind of thing). Proof: mathematics is thousands of years old, and ZFC is not.

Reply #88 - February 16, 2015, 12:45 PM

MATHS

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #89 - February 16, 2015, 02:46 PM

So I’ve been getting into Maths lately. I never did at school, but I’m not quite sure where to go about starting. Most things are too advanced, but ‘teach yourself maths!’ type books feel too elementary.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »