Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Math thread, Y or N?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Yes

Topic: Could we get a Math section?

(Read 35387 times)
  • 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Could we get a Math section?
     OP - September 03, 2014, 05:29 PM

We already have a Science and Philosophy section, although math does have an intersection with both fields it is also its own course of study.
    I was wondering if I could request a Math section for the forum, if it is not feasible then I do understand.

Thanks.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #1 - September 15, 2014, 01:27 PM

There's no point for it.
     Reply #2 - September 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

Maths is too niche to warrant a whole section.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #3 - September 17, 2014, 12:54 AM

I have trouble working out the percentage on the discount rack when I'm buying a pair of pants, so I would be too embarrassed to enter a Maths section, but if there's enough intellectuals on the board here, why not?

Here's a Math's question: How the heck do you convert UK stones to kgs? Someone weighs 8 stone 12 pounds. Do you convert the stone first, then the pounds and add them together? The online conversion site doesn't even include stones in it's list of common measurements -I have to search in the uncommon measurements section...

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
     Reply #4 - September 17, 2014, 01:11 AM

Google should do that if you just enter in "stones to kg." I wish google had been doing this three years earlier!
     Reply #5 - September 17, 2014, 01:22 AM

Maths is too niche to warrant a whole section.

Says an arts student.  Tongue

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #6 - September 17, 2014, 06:29 AM

I think this is a good idea for thread. We can coax all the geeks in here, fence the thread up, and then come in here occasionally to poke fun at them, and get their dinner money off them. I'm game  dance

How the heck do you convert UK stones to kgs? Someone weighs 8 stone 12 pounds. Do you convert the stone first, then the pounds and add them together? The online conversion site doesn't even include stones in it's list of common measurements -I have to search in the uncommon measurements section...

This is how I would do it:
    Convert to pounds first: (8x 14) + 12 = 112 + 12 =124
    Now for the difficult bit, divide the result by 2.2 to get kg's. The answer is approx 56kg.
    If you're doing this in your head, which I try to in order to in order to make sure I still have a working brain, the last bit is particularly tricky. My method is to divide by two (answer x), and divide x by a further ten (answer y). Then x-y is roughly your final answer.
    In this example, for instance: 124/ 2 = x = 62
                                                 x/10 = y = 6.2
                                      Final answer = x-y = 62- 6 = 56kg
    Apologies if I confused you further, my mind works in a strange way.

Hi
     Reply #7 - September 17, 2014, 07:38 AM

How about a "discuss math here" thread pinned in the science section?
     Reply #8 - September 17, 2014, 07:46 AM

Do you mind if it's called 'maths' instead of 'math'? There's a chance there may be more than one sum discussed over the course of the thread  Tongue

Hi
     Reply #9 - September 17, 2014, 09:58 AM

Quote from: musivore
    This is how I would do it:
    Convert to pounds first: (8x 14) + 12 = 112 + 12 =124
    Now for the difficult bit, divide the result by 2.2 to get kg's. The answer is approx 56kg.
    If you're doing this in your head, which I try to in order to in order to make sure I still have a working brain, the last bit is particularly tricky. My method is to divide by two (answer x), and divide x by a further ten (answer y). Then x-y is roughly your final answer.
    In this example, for instance: 124/ 2 = x = 62
                                                 x/10 = y = 6.2
                                      Final answer = x-y = 62- 6 = 56kg
    Apologies if I confused you further, my mind works in a strange way.

Thank you very much, Musivore!

I don't have a hope of doing that in my head, but thanks for clearing up the formula for me. I've never seen "stones" before, and onlineconversion.com, which I've been using for years, had it listed in the rare section among about 500 other rare measurements. I wasn't sure if I had the right "stones", after all, UK gallons and US gallons are both different, among other confusing things.

I see what you mean about google, Lua. Nifty, isn't it?

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
     Reply #10 - September 17, 2014, 10:05 AM

How about a "discuss math here" thread pinned in the science section?

Fair enough, sounds better than my nascent thoughts.

Reply #11 - September 17, 2014, 10:08 AM

Do you mind if it's called 'maths' instead of 'math'? There's a chance there may be more than one sum discussed over the course of the thread  Tongue

Both math and maths are acceptable abbreviations dude. Idiosyncrasies vary by nation and iirc, americans prefer to use "math" whilst brits prefer to use "maths".

Reply #12 - September 17, 2014, 10:12 AM

Here's a Math's question: How the heck do you convert UK stones to kgs? Someone weighs 8 stone 12 pounds. Do you convert the stone first, then the pounds and add them together? The online conversion site doesn't even include stones in it's list of common measurements -I have to search in the uncommon measurements section...

Quick answer.
    Go on google, type " 8 stones 12 pounds in Kg" and voila!

Edit: What lua said.

Reply #13 - September 17, 2014, 10:12 AM

Google should do that if you just enter in "stones to kg." I wish google had been doing this three years earlier!

The new distance calculator on google is great, it has saved me so much hassle.

Reply #14 - September 17, 2014, 10:49 AM

Easy. A stone is 14 pounds, so 8 stone is 112 pounds. Add 12 and you get 124 pounds. There are 0.454 kilograms in each pound , so 124 x 0.454 = 56.3 kilograms. I just did that in my head as I typed it out. Piece of cake.  bunny

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #15 - September 17, 2014, 11:11 AM

Both math and maths are acceptable abbreviations dude. Idiosyncrasies vary by nation and iirc, americans prefer to use "math" whilst brits prefer to use "math".

Was just kidding mate... we are paranoid in England about the Americanisation of English, and I was just trying to be funny regarding that.

That said, I refuse to ever use the word 'Math'. Except there. But I used quotations, so that doesnt count  Tongue

Hi
     Reply #16 - September 17, 2014, 11:15 AM

"Math" is stupid. The subject is "mathematics", with an S on the end. Obviously "maths" is the correct abbreviation. Using "math" is dumb, unless you think the full word is "mathematic", which would also be dumb.

Of course, Yanks really should spell it "mathematicz" but they can't even manage to be consistently wrong. Tongue

Reply #17 - September 17, 2014, 11:26 AM

LOl still a funny fucker I see Os  Cheesy

Hi
     Reply #18 - September 17, 2014, 11:27 AM

And I love your recent work on the mobile aspect of the site. No bugs whatsoever, as far as I can tell

Hi
     Reply #19 - September 17, 2014, 11:29 AM

"Math" is stupid. The subject is "mathematics", with an S on the end. Obviously "maths" is the correct abbreviation. Using "math" is dumb, unless you think the full word is "mathematic", which would also be dumb.

Of course, Yanks really should spell it "mathematicz" but they can't even manage to be consistently wrong. Tongue

math math math math Smiley

It's weird though, even though I almost exclusively use "math" when I am typing, I use the term "maths" when I am speaking.
    As far as I can see, both terms are interchangeable from an english aspect, although I should probably be more consistent in my usage.

Reply #20 - September 17, 2014, 11:33 AM

LOL

That actually hurts me to read Qtian. Please stop it.

Hi
     Reply #21 - September 17, 2014, 11:36 AM

Ok math I'll stop now dude, math. Btw, math I used to see your posts years ago whilst I was math lurking math around the math forum. Good math to have you back.

Reply #22 - September 17, 2014, 11:36 AM

mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz

Reply #23 - September 17, 2014, 11:37 AM

Ok math I'll stop now dude, math. Btw, math I used to see your posts years ago whilst I was math lurking math around the math forum. Good math to have you back.

Thanks on both counts dude  Smiley

Hi
     Reply #24 - September 17, 2014, 12:02 PM

How about we discuss some actual Math(s) rather than how to spell the abbreviation?
     Reply #25 - September 17, 2014, 12:04 PM

Woah, you're chirpy.

Reply #26 - September 17, 2014, 12:07 PM

mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz mathematicz

stahp

Reply #27 - September 17, 2014, 12:07 PM

How about we discuss some actual Math(s) rather than how to spell the abbreviation?

We could discuss your unnecessary capitalisation of math(s). grin12

Reply #28 - September 17, 2014, 12:08 PM

Woah, you're chirpy.

You don't understand. I'm so bored right now. My visa is taking forever and I don't want to start studying until I go to university so I have basically nothing to do.
     Reply #29 - September 17, 2014, 12:08 PM

mathematicz

• 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »