Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: F-Inductive Arguments: A New Type of Inductive Argument

(Read 3052 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • F-Inductive Arguments: A New Type of Inductive Argument
     OP - September 02, 2014, 04:32 PM

A very interesting article by J Lowder:

"In his extensive writings, the prestigious philosopher Richard Swinburne makes a useful distinction between two types of inductive arguments. Let B be our background information or evidence; E be the evidence to be explained; and H be an explanatory hypothesis.

“C-inductive argument”: an argument in which the premisses confirm  or add to the probability of the conclusion,

i.e. P(H | E & B) > P(H | B).

“P-inductive argument”: an argument in which the premisses make the conclusion probable, i.e.,
    P(H | E & B) > 1/2.

It seems to me that there is a third type of inductive argument which should go between C-inductive and P-inductive arguments. I’m going to dub it the “F-inductive argument.”

“F-inductive argument”: an argument in which the evidence to be explained favors one explanatory hypothesis over one or more of its rivals, i.e., P(E | H1 & B) > P(E | H2 & B). Explanatory arguments are F-inductive arguments and have the following structure.

1. E is known to be true, i.e., Pr(E) is close to 1.
    2. H1 is not intrinsically much more probable than H2, i.e., Pr(H1 | B) is not much more probable than Pr(H2 | B).
    3. Pr(E | H2) > Pr(E | H1).
    4. Other evidence held equal, H1 is probably false, i.e., Pr(H1 | B & E) < 0.5.

Good F-inductive arguments show that E is prima facie evidence — that is why (4) begins with the phrase, “Other evidence held equal.” They leave open the possibility that there may be other evidence which favors H1 over H2; indeed, they are compatible with the situation where the total evidence favors H1 over H2.

F-inductive arguments are “stronger” than C-inductive arguments insofar as they show E not only adds to the probability of H2, but that E is more probable on the assumption that H2 is true than on the assumption that H1 is true. They are weaker than P-inductive arguments, however, because they don’t show that E is ultima facie evidence — they don’t show that E makes H2 probable.

One final point. Although I believe I am the first to give F-inductive argument a name and place within Swinburne’s taxonomy of inductive arguments, the structure for such arguments is not mine. Paul Draper deserves the credit for that."

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #1 - September 02, 2014, 05:39 PM

You got me excited with explanatory hypothesis and evidence, but then the variables and logic went over my head. Any examples that could be used to illustrate this "new" type of argument?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - September 02, 2014, 06:22 PM

Right, I'll use a simplified example and hopefully I can get the point across:

H: Theism is false.

Evidence to be explained (E) : There are instances of pointless suffering in the world.

Background information (B): Is whatever we know before testing begins, in this case we could use the background information that the theistic God is: Omnipotent, omniscient  etc...

( This is all based on bayes' rule which treats evidence as relative, so it may be hard to grasp at first)

Right, so we now have our hypothesis, background information and evidence to be explained.

If we were to use a C-Inductive argument in favour of theism being false, it may go something like this.

1. If Theism is true, pointless suffering would be unexpected.
    2. There are pointless cases of suffering.
    C.  This is evidence for the falsity of Theism.

Therefore, P(H | E & B) > P(H | B)

The above may look complicated but all it is really saying is that:

The probability of Theism being false is now more likely given the fact that there are pointless cases of suffering in the world.

A P-Inductive argument probably wouldn't work with my previous example, so I will have to think of a new one:

Example: Tossing a coin.

H: We will get a head on the first toss.
    B: Assuming that that the coin is fair, p(H)=p(T)
    E: We now learn that a magician will be throwing the coin and he is known for always getting a heads on his first toss. so p(H) in our possible world is now > 1/2.

Voila, we now have our P inductive argument where P(H | E & B) > 1/2.
    This is because the new evidence has now made the hypothesis more likely than before. By virtue of induction, P(H) is virtually 1 as opposed to 1/2

F-Inductive argument:
    I'm not going to use any probabilistic formulations for this explanation as it will just become confusing.
    Let's think of two hypotheses:

Example: I am in my bedroom and I hear a loud crash in the kitchen.

B: I am at home and everyone except my cat and dog are outside.
     [I don't have any pets irl Cry ]

H1: My dog is the culprit ,he caused the noise.
    H2: My cat is the culprit, she caused the noise.

E: However, I go downstairs and see some animal footprints on the floor. They are much smaller than my dogs feet.
    How can I explain this?

I decide to formulate a F-inductive argument:

1. The small footprints aren't well explained given the assumption that my dog is the culprit.
    2. The smalll footprints are better explained given the assumption that my cat is the culprit.
    C. All else being equal, my dog probably isn't the culprit.

A formal qualification of the argument:

1. E is known to be true, i.e., Pr(E) is close to 1.
    2. H1 is not intrinsically much more probable than H2, i.e., Pr(H1 | B) is not much more probable than Pr(H2 | B).
    3. Pr(E | H2) > Pr(E | H1).
    4. Other evidence held equal, H1 is probably false, i.e., Pr(H1 | B & E) < 0.5.

1. I am in my bedroom but I hear a crash in my kitchen, my cognitive faculties are fine.
    2. At this stage, I can only assume that the culprit is either my cat or my dog.
    3.  However, I go downstairs and notice that the footprints are similar to those of my cat. The probability of my cat being the culprit given this new evidence is now greater than the probability that my dog is the culprit given this new evidence.
    4. Other evidence held equal, my dog being the culprit is probably false as this hypothesis is not well explained on the new evidence.

This is because hypothesis H1 is now less likely given the new evidence that I have found.

Hope I did justice to the concept of inductive arguments as these explanations were simple for the purpose of avoiding confusion.

Reply #3 - September 02, 2014, 06:25 PM

Makes very good sense.  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #4 - September 02, 2014, 06:45 PM

Is this related to Bayes?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #5 - September 02, 2014, 06:46 PM

Yep, this is a draperian argument. Draper is known for promoting evidentiary (bayesian) reasoning in philosophy.

Reply #6 - September 02, 2014, 07:10 PM

Good to hear Philosophy, science and maths are drawing together!  Hawking et al have made very cogent criticisms of philosophy, and it is mangled by Craig et al.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #7 - September 02, 2014, 07:13 PM

I recently discovered Craig's argument from freedom, it is cringeworthy:

Reply #8 - September 02, 2014, 08:08 PM

A good video for anyone interested in statistics/probability, I liked the medical example that he used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r76oDIvwETI&list=LL3tFZR3eL1bDY8CqZDOQh-w&index=1

Reply #9 - September 02, 2014, 08:55 PM

Usually, when Craig gives  a set of premises reaching a certain conclusion, the premises are defended by philosophical arguments. Do you have the video to that lecture/debate.
     Reply #10 - September 02, 2014, 09:06 PM

Usually, when Craig gives  a set of premises reaching a certain conclusion, the premises are defended by philosophical arguments. Do you have the video to that lecture/debate.

I took the screenshot from a debate.

The full debate (enjoy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfkhq-CM84

The Argument from Freedom defence begins from 1:06:20 and ends at 1:06:40

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »