Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Denmark: Brown + nervous + book on terror + train + electronics = terror scare

(Read 2953 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Denmark: Brown + nervous + book on terror + train + electronics = terror scare
     OP - August 29, 2014, 01:10 PM

Copenhagen: Student suspected in terror manhunt

On Thursday, Alisiv Ceran, a student at the University of Copenhagen, became a terror suspect after police published images of him taken by surveillance cameras on the Copenhagen Metro.

And all because one passenger found his nervous behaviour suspicious as he prepared for a university exam by reading a book on the war on terror while travelling on the metro.

But even though Ceran was exonerated, Anette Storgaard, a lecturer in the Department of Law at Aarhus University, does not necessarily think that the police acted incorrectly.

What if it had been correct?
    "If he had been dangerous and the police had not published the images? That would have hit the headlines in a worse way and become an even greater problem," she said.
    She pointed out that it was difficult to assess whether the police acted too hastily when they published images of the nervous student.

"Naturally, it is distressing for him personally and the police should definitely note the episode for future reference," Storgaard added.

Expert: Manhunts can be acceptable
    The young man found himself the centre of a terrorist manhunt as he sat suffering from pre-exam nerves preparing for an examination on the war on terror on the metro.

One passenger found him suspicious and reported him to the police, and the hunt for Alisiv Ceran began.

Police quickly published images of him, which a number of national media channels, including dr.dk, showed while the manhunt was in progress.

But even though he turned out to be just a nervous student, Storgaard still does not think the police action was wrong.

"It is difficult to assess if it was an over-reaction. There must themselves decide and assess the reliability of the informant," she said.

Public more observant , thinks expert
    Lawyer, Henrik Stagetorn also thinks it is difficult to assess when and how quickly police should release photographs of a suspect, as in the case of Alisiv Ceran.

"It's difficult to gauge whether this was an over-reaction and the police acted too quickly. It's a tough call," he said.

Stagetorn also thinks that it may indicate that people are becoming more aware of the terrorist threat and are becoming more observant .

"He's clean," say police
    At a press conference yesterday, Copenhagen police emphasised that the man was completely innocent.
    "As the informant seemed very reliable, we decided that it was important to find the suspect," said Chief Inspector Mogens Lauridsen of Copenhagen police, who also noted that there was no reason to disbelieve the informant.

During the press conference, Lauridsen was suddenly interrupted by a colleague saying:

"They've got him and he's clean. We have spoken to him and he's OK," the officer said.

It has created a tsunami of jokes from brown- and pale-skinned Danes alike as many think it was a huge overreaction by the authorities.

He entered the train at Avedøre (an area with many Muslim immigrants) and he dropped his suitcase which made him even more nervous and he checked its contents. Which was his printer which he was taking with him for his exam (as they apparently require every student to do) and to get to the university he had to change to the Metro at the country's most busy hub (which *IS* an obvious terror target because it is so crammed even a small explosion would be catastrophic) and the woman who reported him connected the dots:

Brown man + nervous + reading a book on "War on terror" (his exam subject) + large suitcase + electronics = terrorist.

He wants to be a high school teacher.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Denmark: Brown + nervous + book on terror + train + electronics = terror scare
     Reply #1 - August 29, 2014, 01:14 PM

Nervous student causes manhunt in Copenhagen

Armed police officers searched throughout the city for a man reported as behaving suspiciously on the train. After finding him it turns out he was "completely clean".

Armed police officers searched throughout the city for a man reported as behaving suspiciously on the train. After finding him it turns out he was "completely clean".

But at an afternoon press briefing, police announced that they had identified and contacted the man and that he was “completely clean”.

“This morning we received a report about a young man who boarded at Avedøre Station. The man appeared to be very nervous. Because we found the report to be trustworthy, we determined it was necessary to find the man in question,” Copenhagen Police inspector Mogens Lauridsen said.

During their search, police released several photos of the man and asked for the public’s help in identifying him. According to police, it was a tip-off from the man’s family that led to his identification.

“It was apparently someone who had been very nervous because he had to take an exam,” Lauridsen said.

TV2 News caught up with the man following the police press briefing and he explained his "suspicious" behaviour.

"I was going to an exam and I sat in the train reading a book on 9/11 and I was very nervous. I noticed that a woman was looking at me, so I tried to smile to her. But then I ended up knocking my bag over and then my printer fell out with a whole bunch of cables," Alisiv Ceran, 21, told TV2.

Ceran said he studies English at the University of Copenhagen and that his exam was on the war against terror as part of a course in American foreign policy.

At the same time police were looking for the man, they had to deal with a report of a mysterious suitcase that was found near Kongens Nytorv. Officers barricaded the area for approximately 45 minutes before discovering that the suitcase did not contain anything suspicious. They found the owner and called off the alarm.

Don't smile.

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #2 - August 29, 2014, 01:20 PM

Police manhunt has innocent UCPH student hiding in handicap toilet

Police shut down part of the train traffic in central Copenhagen, looking for a man exhibiting 'suspicious behaviour'. It turned out to be a nervous UCPH student on his way to an exam

It was just a nervous UCPH student on his way to an exam that caused Copenhagen police to temporarily shut down train traffic between Nørreport and Copenhagen Central Station on Thursday 28 August and to initiate a city-wide manhunt.

A woman reportedly called the police after seeing a 'Middle Eastern-looking man' behaving suspiciously on the S-train to Copenhagen in the morning. The man was seen reading a book on terrorism and started panicking when his suitcase fell over during the train ride.

Heavily armed police officers then systematically searched the area around Nørreport station, where the man got off the train, and other key sites in the city, and published a photo of him on Twitter, hoping for help from the population.

Exam in American foreign policy
    They later confirmed that the man was last seen getting off the metro at Islands Brygge station. Consequently, armed police officers were, among other places, sent to UCPH's Humanities campus, KUA, located close to Islands Brygge station.

Shortly after two o'clock in the afternoon, police confirmed that they had found and identified the man - as Alisiv Ceran, a UCPH student on his way to an exam in American foreign policy. The book he had been reading on the train, on the war on terror, was on the reading list for the course and his suitcase contained his printer, necessary for the written exam.

When his suitcase fell over, Alisiv panicked: ''I was scared that my printer had been damaged. If you want to type your exam on a computer at the University of Copenhagen, your own printer just has to work,'' he said to bt.dk.

Hid in the bathroom
    When Alisiv was done with the exam after four hours, he found a lot of missed calls from friends and family on his phone. After seeing his picture all over the media, he called the police.
    ''I was so nervous that I hid in the handicap restroom while I called the police to tell them what happened. Only when the police came, I got out. They examined my suitcase, apologised, and I was allowed to go,'' he said to bt.dk. He used the handicap toilet because there was more room for his suitcase, he said.
    Alisiv says, of course it is not nice to be suspected to be a terrorist. ''But the police acted just as they should in such a situation. I'm certainly not going to complain. But I am a bit sad that that woman on the train was afraid of me,'' he adds.

Nice fella!

Reply #3 - August 29, 2014, 06:42 PM

Picture is from the main hall at Copenhagen Central Station.

Text on T-shirt:

"I am not terrorist
    I am just taking the train"

Reply #4 - August 29, 2014, 06:46 PM

I know I shouldn't laugh but it would be grimly funny if an actual terrorist wore one of those t-shirts to guilt trip white lefties into thinking he's a hipster Muslim and putting them off the scent.

* and he gets stopped before detonating himself obviously so it has a happy ending that I can say is darkly comical a la Four Lions

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - August 29, 2014, 06:59 PM

That is how moderate Muslims undermine our racial profiling (or in this case, a non-Muslim of Iranian descent) and helps the Illuminati NWO police state to take over.

Or something.

Reply #6 - August 29, 2014, 07:47 PM

Some humourous people have already created false stickers banning printers in our urban-area trains Tongue

Reply #7 - September 20, 2014, 11:52 AM

So now Alisiv Ceran is demanding DKK 75000 [UK£ 7935) in reparations from Danish authorities because he felt pressured to go on television and cleanse his name the same day.

Typically in the Danish court system you only get reparations if you have been arrested and/or imprisoned wrongfully. He was neither. What happens outside of the strict direct scope of the actions of the authorities (Police, courts) is judicially not their problem.

Also reparations are very rare in the DKK 75000 range. A guy who was wrongfully imprisoned for 18 days and accused of a very savage rape and murder got about half of that (he got cleared when the DNA didn't match).

Alisiv Ceran was quoted on the same day as "the police was just doing its job" and was on a TV show afterwards.

Reply #8 - September 20, 2014, 11:59 AM

I'd be pissed too, to be fair.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #9 - September 20, 2014, 12:00 PM

I see other countries have started to perfect the fine American art of suing for everything.
     Reply #10 - September 20, 2014, 12:09 PM

The reasonable way to do it would be to write about his experience, go on debates in TV how this has inflicted upon his life. Try to make people understand what he has been through. I am sure a lot of right-wing bigots has shoveled shit his way. But it is not the authorities fault that people are right-wing bigots. Well not directly, that is.

Suing just makes it look like he is suing prejudiced racist idiot Denmark for being full of prejudiced racist idiots.

Reply #11 - September 20, 2014, 12:14 PM

Has he actually been through anything though? He contacted the police, they showed up, saw everything was fine and apologised to him. It's a story to tell at parties where everyone laughs.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #12 - September 20, 2014, 12:21 PM

Precisely. The police immediately went to the press and told he was innocent when they had spoken to him.

However the usual choir of right-wing bigots have used the opportunity to incriminate him because of some ties with a home page associated to Islamisk Trossamfund ("Islamic Faith Society") which was the frontrunner in the campaign against the Muhammad cartoons.

Reply #13 - September 20, 2014, 12:30 PM

Those fuckers had to spend months doing everything they could to create outrage over the cartoons because nobody gave a shit.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »