Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I am reverting back to Islam

(Read 23341 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I am reverting back to Islam
     Reply #30 - August 28, 2014, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Whilst Zoatar what you say is correct she is influential and has justification for her views. it seems as though you are characterising her as someone who blindly follows one perspective when in fact currently there is a debate over those who consider the Koran to be a late compilation and those who consider it to be an early compilation. There are western scholars that agree with most of the orthodox narrative of Koran compilation minus the divine revelation. Surprisingly, I've come across scholars who defend the Koranic style and argue that in it's cultural oral context it makes sense and that it's our assumptions as to how a book should be composed that result in our perception of disjointedness and error.

Neuwirth has often been cited as someone who is trying to bridge the gap between the Western world and the Muslim world following the radical scepticism of the likes of Crone and Cook. Perhaps it's best to challenge these academics and get their true statement on what was said and views. Perhaps these academics, after viewing the Koran, do see some beuty in it. There are beautiful verses in the Koran, though the more out of context they are the better.  There is also a melody to the Koran that some listeners find soothing. I think what happens is that some scholars who wish to inspire a renaissance in the Muslim World adopt the soft touch approach and may egnuinely, ahving invested  alot of time and effort in the study of the Koran, come to appreciate the Koran for what it is.

When I view the Koran from the prism of the ijaz claims I simply can't stand nor can I when considering that people consider it a guidline for how one should live ones life. However, when viewed as a book in it's historical context I ahve a greater appreciation of it.

I think that it would be useful if we could have a compilation of books based on Koranic Studies. I am using this for my research and I would appreciate it people could suggest some more (either PM me or reply):

Ernst, Carl How to Read the Quran
    Sells, Michael Approaching the Quran
    Reynolds, Gabriel Said The Quran in its Historical Context
    ^ New Perspective on the Quran
    Wheeler, Brannon M. Moses in the Quran
    McAuliffe, Jane Dammen The Cambridge Companion to the Quran
    Mattson, Ingrid The story of the Quran
    Gade, Anna M The Quran
    Brown, Daniel W A New Introduction to Islam
    Neuwirth, Angelika The Quran in Context
    Noldeke, Theodor The History of the Quran
    Donner, Fred Islam and the Believers
    Cook, Michael The Koran
    Berkley, Jonathan P The Formation of Islam
    Wansborough, Jon and Andrew Rippin Quran Studies
    Rippin, Andrew Approaches to the History of the interpretation of the Quran
    Cadler, Norman Classical Islam: A Sourcebook of Religious Literature
    Rippin, Andrew Blackwell Companion of the Quran
    Ross, David R The Arabs and Their Quran
    Noldeke, Theodore Sketches FROM Eastern History
    Ohlig, Karl Heinz Early Islam: A critical Reconstruction based on Contemporary Sources
    Luxenburg, Christoph The Syrio-Aramaic Reading of the Quran
    Deroche, Francois Qurans of the Ummayads
    Hawting, G R Approaches to the Quran
    Rodinson, Maxime Muhammad
    Nicholson, Reynold A Literary History of the Arabs
    Bannister, Andrew G An Oral-Formulaic Study of the Quran

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #31 - August 28, 2014, 12:53 PM

Can you read arabic Jedi?
     Reply #32 - August 28, 2014, 01:13 PM

No I can't and that's the major obstacle. Also, I'd rather stick to books that are written in English. Some of the books that people cite are very obscure and are almost impossible to verify.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #33 - August 28, 2014, 02:12 PM

I was going to suggest Taha Hussien works, I don't think there is anyone in the entire history who can claim to superior knowledge in Arabic language history than him.
     Reply #34 - August 28, 2014, 02:18 PM

There's no question that SOME of the Qur'an is beautiful, almost entirely Meccan surahs, as I mentioned above.  While some is a mess or very dull and prosaic.  The translation of "My Ordeal With the Qur'an" gives a good discussion of how this works.

The problem with Neuwirth and her 'traditionalist' school is that they can't bring themselves to be critical of any part of the Qur'an.  Everything is excused, and the wildly varying levels of style are explained away with unbelievable gyrations.  They are too focused on building bridges and showing respect, something that cannot serve as the basis for a *critical* analysis of the Qur'an.

Here's some quotes from that Markus Gross essay ("New Ways of Qur'anic Research," where he criticizes how absurd this position is on its face.  This is talking about Neuwirth's analysis and how incompatible it is with her own conclusions about Qur'anic style and composition:

"Another one of her findings is very interesting and worth mentioning.  While early Meccan surahs display a variety of up to 80 different types of rhyme, in what she considers to be the third phase only 8 types remain!  If we add the fact that in 29 (!) surahs a word as central as Allah is not found (instead: rabb -- Lord), that many verses in Medinan surahs if compared to their Meccan counterparts are super-long, and that the contents of different surahs drastically contradict each other (e.g. concerning the consumption of wine), then it is well astounding that scholars like Angelika Neuwirth, who were educated to the European Academic tradition, do not jump to the most natural logical conclusion that every scholar of Ancient Greek or Latin would jump to:  namely that the Qur'an is composed of different texts, written by different people with different views, probably over a prolonged period of time!"

"Concerning the alleged beauty of the Qur'an, Angelika Neuwirth emphasizes the even proportions in the sequence o0f "Gesatze" (strophes).  All the things that normally disturb a Western reader of the Qur'an, the breaks in the arguments, the unfinished sentences and thoughts, the mind-numbing repetition of typical phrases -- for her these are intentional caesure, and more than that, well-chosen breaks."

This is characteristic of starting with the belief that the Qur'an is inimitable and beautiful.  Bugs are described as features.  Even the Qur'an's various errors in Arabic grammar are excused as 'rhetorical devices,' much as in English we might say "I saw thems their" as a beautiful rhetorical device.  Except we don't.  

Any honest appraisal of the Qur'an's aesthetic value would resemble Noldeke's.

Gross's very long essay is an extensive analysis of genuine oral literature (like the Vedas, the Homeric hymns, contemporary African oral literature), its characteristic forms and features, its linguistic structures, and its aesthetics.  Then he shows how the Qur'an fails to follow any of these ... its language is too monotonous, its form is too gelatinous and lacking in rhythmic device and variation, its narration is too disjointed and chaotic.  The few strophic structures buried in some of the surahs that resemble oral literature, moreover, have been obliterated in the current compilation.  What you are left with is partially mutilated strophic poetry and partially poetified bland prose; an attempt at leveling and uniformity has been imposed on radically different texts, awkwardly deleting strophic structure in some places and awkwardly imposing vague and loose rhyme upon prose in others.  Beauty remains in the text after that process, but primarily in the form of Meccan surahs that have not been overly mutilated.

Btw, as to the Qur'an's compilation, the fundamental point that must be recognized is that Muslim tradition is, in large part, an attempt to explain the baffling, disjointed, and radically disparate nature of the Qur'an.  It is impossible to look at it and not see that it is a composite text assembled over a long period of time.  Muslims saw this too, as would anybody.  But what Muslims did, because they were confronted with such a problematic text, is formulated a backstory of its composition in which all these peculiarities were given a theological and biographical explanation.  Thus the *radically different* types of surahs were characterized as "Meccan" and "Medinan" and located at long distances within the life of a prophet.  The doctrine of abrogration was introduced, and of successive revelation.  The doctrine of an unbroken chain of oral recitation was introduced.  In this way, the traditional biography of Mohammed was created to encompass and explain the chaos of the Qur'an itself.  Because the Qur'an's orthographic chaos and the existence of variant texts and readings also called out for explanation, Muslim tradition itself then records that the codices were fixed by Uthman, decades after Mohammed's death, with a recension, and then (contradictorily) modified in some ways by Abd al Malik.  

In other words, the Qur'an is of course a deeply composite text that was composed over many decades.  That is not in legitimate question; what is in question is the *historical explanation* for this state of the text.  To explain this as the product of a single prophet, Muslim tradition argues, for theological reasons, that (a) the composition of the text was secondary to an oral tradition of recitation (unattested by any historical evidence); and (b) the disjointedness, radically different text types, and contradictions reflects the prophet's biography and a series of radical dislocations in his own life and circumstances, as he delivered the Qur'an over a period of 20 years.  

That Muslims might accept this teetering theological construct to reconcile the state of the Qur'an with its putative origin from a single prophet is understandable, that Western scholars like Neuwirth might follow them out of a misguided effort to build bridges and avoid causing offense ... is inexcusable.  Qur'anic studies has long been the last bastion of uncritical Western theology.  Only recently, over the last decade or so, has the type of critical attitude that became the norm in other religious studies in the mid 19th century started to become a major factor in the field.
     Reply #35 - August 28, 2014, 02:49 PM

Ohlig, Karl Heinz, 'Early Islam: A Critical Reconstruction baed upon Contemproary Sources' (2013)

Markus Gross' essay can be partially read on the amazon.co.uk site here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Islam-Critical-Reconstruction-Contemporary/dp/161614825X#reader_161614825X

Reply #36 - August 28, 2014, 03:08 PM

I was going to suggest Taha Hussien works, I don't think there is anyone in the entire history who can claim to superior knowledge in Arabic language history than him.

I have read about him and his work. I would liek to read 'On Pre-Islamic Literature'. I have read about the accusations levelled against hime and his trial: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2001/535/chrncls.htm

Reply #37 - August 28, 2014, 03:20 PM

Ohlig, Karl Heinz, 'Early Islam: A Critical Reconstruction based upon Contemporary Sources' (2013)

Markus Gross' essay can be partially read on the amazon.co.uk site here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Islam-Critical-Reconstruction-Contemporary/dp/161614825X#reader_161614825X

Jedi.,     Either present, Islam  or  Islam after 2nd world war or Islam in colonial times or Islam medieval times or Islam in so-called The Rashidun Caliphate times or Islam in alleged Prophet f Islam times..   none of these Islams came from Quran. All these Islamic rulers  since the beginning of Islam used tits and bits of Quran for power struggle and for expansion of their  Islamic  empires..  And that is because Quran is book of silly statements and can be used to do good bad and deadly things in home and in the society..

Anyways if you are interested you can read these articles..

Plenty of smart intelligent thoughtful intellectuals are there/were there in the Arab world.. The problem in Islamic world always was and is "Freedom of Expression"   and that is put in jail for one reason or other since the beginning of Islam..

I have read about him and his work. I would liek to read 'On Pre-Islamic Literature'. I have read about the accusations levelled against hime and his trial: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2001/535/chrncls.htm

and you are reading right links .. Read more and read often from   http://www.almuslih.org/

Interesting  freebee in English  on the life of  Taha Hussien   AN EGYPTIAN CHILDHOOD ...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #38 - August 28, 2014, 05:33 PM

Hamza quotes random academics and scholars with non-muslim sounding names to back up this shit argument to make it look credible on the surface, but none of these academics are ACTUAL BONAFIDA academics in the literary or linguistic fields.

A few times I've asked him to name me just one qualified academic Linguist or Literary Scholar and he's prevaricated away from the question every time.

The Quran literary/linguistic miracle is to qualified experts in Linguistics and Literary fields, what creationism is to Biology.
     Reply #39 - August 28, 2014, 08:26 PM

The following is an example of what I think is the most notorious quote-mining in Hamza's paper. The actual quote is one that single-handedly refutes Hamza's entire goal

Hamza says the following;

Professor of Arabic and that of the Qur’an, E.H. Palmer argues that the assertions made by academics like the one above should not surprise us. He writes, “That the best of Arab writers has never succeeded in producing anything equal in merit to the Qur’an itself is not surprising.”[40]

[40] E H Palmer (Tr.), The Qur’an, 1900, Part I, Oxford at Clarendon Press, p. lv.

However, this is what EH Palmer is actually saying;

"That the best of Arab writers has never succeeded in producing anything equal in merit to the Qur’ân itself is not surprising. In the first place, they have agreed before-hand that it is unapproachable, and they have adopted its style as the perfect standard; any deviation from it therefore must of necessity be a defect. Again, with them this style is not spontaneous as with Mohammed and his contemporaries, but is as artificial as though Englishmen should still continue to follow Chaucer as their model, in spite of the changes which their language has undergone. With the prophet the style was natural, and the words were those used in every-day ordinary life, while with the later Arabic authors the style is imitative arid the ancient words are introduced as a literary embellishment. The natural consequence is that their attempts look laboured and unreal by the side of his impromptu and forcible eloquence."

http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/sbe06/sbe0602.htm

Palmer is pointing out the arbitrary and nonsensical nature of the entire ordeal.
     Reply #40 - August 28, 2014, 08:44 PM

I have been looking into oral histories of different cultures and the reliability of oral transmission. Even the scholars of Greek literature attest to the fact that botht he Iliad and Odyssey underwent some revision during it's oral transmission in tehf act but at a certain point the transmission became fixed and thugh it was written down it's transmission was mainly oral. No matter how much you debate with the dawahgandists they will state, until they are blue in the face, that although there is no textual evidence that the Koran has been reliably transmitted that the oral tradition was a safeguard against distortions and that Koranic reciters have ensured that the exact wording and pronunciation of the Koran has been perserved in such a manner. That is of course according to the dawahgandists. The historian has something else to say on this matter:

'The question, however is not whether it is possible - with incredible effort - to memorize the Qur'an but rather whether the Qur'an in its modern form of the Cairene edition can be traced back to the 7th century with the help of an uninterrupted chain of transmitters who primarily relied on the spoken, not the written word. The answer to this latter question is a clear NO. The modern tradition of memorization emerged only after the final written fixation of the Qur’anic texts and is consequently secondary.’ (p. 402 of the book cited in previous posts).

Reply #41 - August 28, 2014, 08:47 PM

The following is an example of what I think is the most notorious quote-mining in Hamza's paper. The actual quote is one that single-handedly refutes Hamza's entire goal

Hamza says the following;

However, this is what EH Palmer is actually saying;

Palmer is pointing out the arbitrary and nonsensical nature of the entire ordeal.

Great. I think you've referred to this in your video or perhaps in a video that somebody else ahd created. Thank you for the reminder. It's always the case that people take things out of their context and create a meaning that differs from the authors intent.

If in the above passage I have misunderstood anything then please let me know.

Reply #42 - August 28, 2014, 08:51 PM

Btw, a couple other oddities I noticed.  First, Hamza mistakenly writes her name as "Neuwrith."  Both in the main text and footnote.  So it's not just a typo, and it's odd as nobody fluent in German would easily make such a mistake ... "Neuwrith" is basically unpronounceable in German.  Is Hamza a native German speaker?  If not, how did he conduct an interview with Neuwirth in German?  And how would he get her name wrong if he had?

Second, Neuwirth appears to have publicly repudiated Qur'anic inimitability as a dogma:

"Certainly, as far as translation is concerned, the dogma that posits the Koran as un-reproducible has hindered all meaningful attempts to create an authoritative translation into another Islamic language, such that a common translation would result – something like the Luther translation of the Bible into German, for example."

http://en.qantara.de/content/interview-with-angelika-neuwirth-the-koran-a-book-in-many-languages

So one wonders what that quote by Hamza is referring to.  Finally, if you look at the quote itself and Hamza's introduction, she does not appear to be talking about 'inimitability' but rather some 'challenge to the Qur'an,' the nature of which Hamza does not specify.

"During an interview with Angelika Neuwrith, the distinguished Professor of Qur’anic studies, she argued that the Qur’an has never been successfully challenged by anyone, past or present:

"…no one has succeeded, this is right…I really think that the Qur’an has even brought Western researchers embarrassment, who weren’t able to clarify how suddenly in an environment where there were not any appreciable written text, appeared the Qur’an with its richness of ideas and its magnificent wordings."  "

Succeeded at what, is the question.  And what does 'successfully challenged' mean?  Succeeded in proving some particular hypothesis?  Well, what hypothesis?  Inquiring minds want to know.
     Reply #43 - August 28, 2014, 09:02 PM

I would forgive Hamza for the misspelling but from my reading of Prof. Neuwirths' work (Encyclopedia to the Koran) she is far more sceptical and at times subtly irreverent to the Koranic text that you'd expect.

Gross has a section on 'The Alleged Beauty of the Qur'an' in the 'Early Islam' compendium. He is a very acessibe writer.  'Inimitability (...) means any pecular style (good or bad style!)'  Cheesy

Reply #44 - August 28, 2014, 09:13 PM

Yeah I actually don't care for Gross's over-the-top polemic tone ... it's not very academic, and he sounds pretty histrionic ... but I have to admit he's often hilarious.

If I myself was asked to imitate the Qur'an, I might respond "how can I reasonably imitate a text that is a composite slowly formed from vernacular Arabic dialects that are no longer known, written in an extremely defective script, awkwardly compiled together over decades, combined with other texts and modified to make them fit, adjusted with a new rhyme scheme by scribes, and then subsequently interpreted in an artificially defined language ideal, different from the original dialects of composition, and which permits multiple different vocalizations (of which the Qira'at are simply one canonical subset)?"  You see the problem.  It's not hard to write better poetry than the Qur'an.  It's done every day, in many languages.  What's hard to do is replicate the incredibly tortured linguistic, orthographic, and semantic process by which the Qur'an was formed.

One might as well ask somebody to imitate the Gathas of Zarathustra.  It could be done by specialist scholars, but you'd have to have criteria by which 'imitation' was assessed which aren't just 'not any different than the existing text -- but also must be different to count as an imitation.'

Because of this, no academic takes 'inimitability' seriously -- it's just a theological dogma with no rational content or meaning -- but the real questions are (1) to what extent was the Qur'an written literature versus a non-written oral literature; and (2) to what extent was the Qur'an composed for aesthetic value, and what can that value indicate about the circumstances of the text's composition and purpose.  Gross's essay is pretty good on those subjects.
     Reply #45 - August 28, 2014, 09:25 PM

Indeed he is and thanks for pointing him out to me. I might indeed buy the book. I think Gross is amazing as unlike other scholars he actually cites Islamic websites that make these nonsensical claims and lays an academic smackdown upon them like nobody's business! I love how he restrains himself and instead offers some of Noldeke's scathing criticism of the Koran to project his own annoyance at the over-hyped alleged ijaz of the Koran. Even the title 'Allaged beauty of the Qur'an' is a tongue-in-cheek statement.

I would love to read what Stefan Wild has to say about the opposing view to Neuwirth. I wander if he is a member of the 'late compilation' of the Koran scholars like Gross is.

Reply #46 - August 28, 2014, 11:04 PM

If you can read German, it seems like Neuwirth's *current view* is actually not terribly different ... she has modified her stance.  This is a very recent essay by Gerd Puin on Neuwirth's current position, where Puin concludes by saying she is now following Luxenberg's method (!) and she should acknowledge that.

http://www.2013.inarah.de/index.php?id=141

"Gewiss ist diese Erkenntnis von der generellen Annahme abgeleitet, dass der Koran erst nach einer längeren Periode der mündlichen Kommunikation zwischen dem Propheten und seiner Gemeinde fixiert worden ist. Dabei ist es aber m. E. nicht zwingend, dass diese Kommunikation ein mündlicher Prozess war. Doch dies ist ein unwichtiges Detail angesichts der Tatsache, dass Angela Neuwirth sich nunmehr auf zwei Kriterien stützt, die konziser auch von Chr. Luxenberg nicht hätten formuliert werden können – ja, ihre Akzeptanz setzt geradezu voraus, dass sie ihm methodisch folgt, wenn auch ohne es zuzugeben"

This is why I say it's not really that much of a dispute anymore.  Both the traditional Muslim and the critical modern Western scholars have the same view about the Qur'an as a composite text that was created over a long period of time, they largely just differ in their assessment of the reliability of Muslim tradition in recounting what, exactly, that process actually consisted of ... in terms of who was writing, what languages/scripts they were using, and how many people were involved.

Wansbrough's view that it took many centuries ('late crystallization') is not really tenable.  In other words, 'late composition v. early composition' is no longer really the question.  At this point it's more about whether it was *Uthman* who did the primary Qur'anic compilation or *Abd al Malik*, or something else, and how an evolving process of compilation and modification happened over those decades.   And the bigger question is less date of compilation but rather *what the compilation process was and what languages were involved* -- on that, even Neuwirth seems to have come round to a multiple languages + multiple 'inputs' theory.  Why?  Largely because Surah 112 is so obviously Aramaic in language, rather than Arabic, and Neuwirth herself has basically conceded that the Arabic reading of 112 is actually a botched misreading of a different language, a la Luxenberg's theory.  This is why Puin takes her to task.

Btw, though that Markus Gross essay is great, I do not recommend the rest of "Early Islam," it's not so great.
     Reply #47 - August 29, 2014, 05:23 PM

btw have any of the academics hamza's essay quote mined converted because of "the quran's inimitably"
     Reply #48 - August 29, 2014, 05:29 PM

Prediction: I think Hamza Tzortzis will leave Islam.

You heard it here first.
     Reply #49 - August 29, 2014, 05:31 PM

You heard it here first.

well and then what?   Go To ISIS Islam?  or Go to High school and do some pre-college courses?

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #50 - August 29, 2014, 05:35 PM

Thats much more difficult to predict. Maybe he can use his experiance with what he learned from Islam to demolish some of arguments of Zakir Naik, write books etc and finally debate individuals like Zakir Naik,
     Reply #51 - August 29, 2014, 05:36 PM

btw have any of the academics hamza's essay quote mined converted because of "the quran's inimitably"

I don't think that in recent times there has been a scholar who converted to Islam on the basis of 'the Koran is a masterpeice that no human being could ever have produced, therefore God must exist and this is His word.' There are plenty of admirers though. Just like when a child shows their drawing and you say 'oh well, isn't that a pretty picture? Did you do that all by yourself? Well done! I wish I had something like that to hang up on my wall.' Only, you're really glad that you don't ahve something like that to hang up on your wall.

Reply #52 - August 29, 2014, 05:39 PM

You heard it here first.

If neither Maajid Nawaz nor Tariq Ramadhan haven't left Islam then I doubt Hamza ever would. I always thought that Usama Hassan would become an apostate but that never transpired. I think that Tzortzis will develop his own theodicy and follow that whislt claiming that the burkha, stoning and Hell Fire have nothing to do with Islam.

Reply #53 - August 29, 2014, 05:55 PM

Hamza is nothing without Islam. If he ever openly leaves it, he goes back to being a nobody and will have to find a real job. If he leaves Islam, don't expect to hear about it.
     Reply #54 - August 29, 2014, 05:58 PM

If neither Maajid Nawaz nor Tariq Ramadhan haven't left Islam then I doubt Hamza ever would. I always thought that Usama Hassan would become an apostate but that never transpired. I think that Tzortzis will develop his own theodicy and follow that whislt claiming that the burkha, stoning and Hell Fire have nothing to do with Islam.

I think that Maajid Nawaz already is a non believer. I dont know much about Usama Hassan, but I think Ed Husain is a muslim. We'll see if Hammy becomes one or some kind of reformist. I would focus on the worst and then gradually work down to the less extreme. In the end, I only care about getting rid of misogyny,limb chopping.killing apostates...and also that rock throwing business is kind of a drag, I dont really care though whether people rush to gargle because they passed methane.
     Reply #55 - August 29, 2014, 06:20 PM

Hamza is nothing without Islam. If he ever openly leaves it, he goes back to being a nobody and will have to find a real job. If he leaves Islam, don't expect to hear about it.

You can be ruthless sometimes lua....are you perhaps related to this lady  Weakest link
    Also, I do think there is a space for a public figure who debunks phony Islamic miracles.
     Reply #56 - August 29, 2014, 06:24 PM

Ugh, why'd you have to go and make me feel bad? Grin

In my defense, I vaguely remember stating my sympathy for him for something or another while everyone else was unimpressed.
     Reply #57 - August 29, 2014, 06:25 PM

Wait! No. That was Dawahman. Never mind.
     Reply #58 - August 29, 2014, 10:39 PM

This. Totally this.

Where else could someone like him possibly even matter?
     Reply #59 - August 29, 2014, 10:54 PM

What is meant by inimitability is that no one has been able to produce or emulate the Quran’s linguistic and literary features

and what i mean when i say i cannot reach the age of 30, is that i have not reached the age of 30. 
    Definitions are always such tricky things for apologists. But then, so is everything else.

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »