Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Arabs without God - new e-book by Brian Whitaker

(Read 19124 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Arabs without God - new e-book by Brian Whitaker
     OP - August 22, 2014, 04:25 PM

Re-posted from Brian Whitaker's blog

http://www.al-bab.com/blog/2014/august/arabs-without-god.htm#sthash.jAAqFJyG.b7DXuiFY.dpbs
    Just over a year ago I wrote a blog post about atheism in the Middle East and invited Arab non-believers to come forward with their stories. Several of them did.

I felt at the time that this would be a good topic for a book, so I embarked on further research and began seeking out more Arab atheists. The book, which I have called Arabs Without God, is now complete and will be published by Amazon, initially as an e-book, on 12 September (though you can pre-order it from today).

The main reason for starting it off as an e-book – apart from the fact that it costs less to buy – is that I want it to be available to as many readers as possible in the Middle East. Taking the e-book route overcomes many of the problems of distribution and censorship that print books face in the region. Also, because of the "sensitive" subject matter, it is likely that some Arab readers may not want to have a physical copy on their bookshelf.

As some readers may know, becoming an atheist is one of the most shocking things that an Arab can do: it is often regarded as the worst form of religious heresy. Saudi Arabia's new anti-terrorism law treats "calling for atheist thought in any form" as a terrorist act, and the Sisi regime has announced plans to "eliminate" atheism from Egypt.

The aim of Arabs Without God is not to make a case for atheism but to argue for the right of Arab atheists to be treated as normal human beings. The first half, based on interviews with non-believers, looks at how and why some Arabs choose to abandon religion. Chapters in this section also explore the history of Arab atheism, arguments about the divine origin of the Qur'an, and the way atheism relates to gender and sexuality.

One of the more unexpected discoveries was that Arab atheism is somewhat different from atheism in the west: "scientific" arguments about the origin of the universe are much less prominent. In interviews, the issue most often cited by Arabs as their first step on the road to disbelief was the apparent unfairness of divine justice. The picture they had acquired was of an irascible and sometimes irrational Deity who behaves in much the same way as an Arab dictator or an old-fashioned family patriarch – an anthropomorphic figure who makes arbitrary decisions and seems eager to punish people at the slightest opportunity.

This also links in with the question of why an omniscient God would create flawed human beings and then subject them to a test for which He allegedly already knows the outcome.

One factor that seems to drive Arabs away from religion is the difficulty of having a rational discussion about these questions with religious scholars, families, or friends. A common response is to say that such questions should not be asked, that doubters should stop worrying and trust God or, in some cases, should seek psychiatric help.

This prompts doubters to search elsewhere for answers, often in the sincere hope of better understanding their faith – only to find that the more they investigate the less they believe.

The second half of the book looks in detail at restrictions on freedom of thought in the Arab countries – laws against apostasy and blasphemy, "official" state religions, etc. This is where non-believers turn into law-breakers, but it also affects religious people too. Most of the cases that come to court involve believers who happen not to follow the local religious orthodoxy – and many of the trials are more about score-settling than religion itself.

Although some of the more recent Arab constitutions pay lip-service to freedom of belief, the principle that people can choose their own religion, or decide not to have any religion at all, is still not widely accepted. Religious diversity is recognised up to a point, at least where monotheistic religions are concerned, but atheists are still generally regarded as beyond the pale, and the mentality that leads to the persecution of atheists is the same mentality that gives rise to groups like ISIS.

The final chapter discusses atheism in the context of Islamophobia – the problems that Arab atheists, and particularly ex-Muslims, face in arguing for their rights without feeding racist and Islamophobic prejudice.

You can order the e-book at Amazon in the US or the UK, or search for "Arabs Without God" on Amazon websites in other countries. Anyone wishing to review the book can contact me here.

Reply #1 - August 22, 2014, 04:47 PM

Very good!
     Reply #2 - August 22, 2014, 05:03 PM

looks great

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - August 22, 2014, 05:43 PM

Zeca, great work! Congratulations.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #4 - August 22, 2014, 06:06 PM

Ram - I can't take the credit I'm afraid. I just copied and pasted this from the blog of Brian Whitaker who used to be Middle East editor for the Guardian. He's one of the better British journalists writing about the region so it's good to see him coming out with a book about ex-Muslims.
     Reply #5 - September 09, 2014, 03:55 PM

Review
     Reply #6 - September 12, 2014, 04:20 PM

The e-book is now available. There's an extract on Brian Whitaker's blog:

IN THE PALESTINIAN town of Qalqilya, 25-year-old Waleed al-Husseini hit on an amusing if irreverent idea. He decided it was time for God to have a Facebook page - and set about creating one. He called it Ana Allah ("I am God") and announced jokingly that in future God would be communicating directly with people via Facebook since despite having sent prophets centuries ago His message had still not got through.

The imaginary instructions from God posted by Husseini included one written in the style of Qur'anic verses forbidding people from drinking whisky mixed with Pepsi; "God" ordered them to mix it with water instead. In another post on the divine Facebook page, "God" recommended smoking hashish.

The Palestinian authorities were far from amused, however, and few days later Husseini - an IT graduate who had been unable to find a proper job since leaving university - was sitting in a cafe playing cards when two members of the secret police came in and arrested him [...]

Read on at http://www.al-bab.com/blog/2014/september/arabs-without-god-extract.htm#sthash.E1SQfcFt.6k7gzSaf.dpbs
     Reply #7 - September 12, 2014, 05:16 PM

that sounds fantastic., I wish there were two authors to that  book., another  with Arabic background preferably a Muslim guy  from right in the middle of  Arab lands ... even if it was a Pseudo name it would have been better than what it is now..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #8 - September 12, 2014, 05:19 PM

I've just read through the extract and it looks pretty good to me.
     Reply #9 - September 12, 2014, 05:31 PM

yeah I just downloaded it for my Kindle, only costs £3.70

God is Love.

Reply #10 - September 12, 2014, 06:00 PM

I think the low price is to make it affordable for readers in Arab countries.
     Reply #11 - September 12, 2014, 08:01 PM

hope it gets translated into Arabic

God is Love.

Reply #12 - September 13, 2014, 09:23 PM

I'm a quarter of the way through. It's really quite journalistic, if that's your kind of thing. I'd personally be in favour of a more deconstructionist academic work.
     Reply #13 - October 29, 2014, 02:27 PM

Brian Whitaker in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/28/arab-states-share-isis-ideology-islam?CMP=twt_gu
    Compulsion in religion is the ideological foundation stone of Isis and Islamist movements in general. Believing they have superior knowledge of God’s wishes for mankind, such groups feel entitled – even required – to act on his behalf and punish those who fail to comply with the divine will. In doing so, of course, they do not claim to be seeking power for themselves but merely trying to make the world more holy.

Bombing Isis and banning Islamist movements may suppress such movements for a while but it does nothing to address the ideological problem. Unless the question of compulsion in religion is tackled head-on, and in a serious way, they will resurface later or similar groups will emerge to replace them.

Although freedom of belief is a widely accepted principle internationally, enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, it is still far from becoming established in the Arab countries. This is true of both governments and society.

As far as many of the Arab public are concerned, discriminating against members of the “wrong” faith, or those who hold unorthodox views, is not only acceptable, but the right thing to do. For Arab governments, enforcing religious rules and allying themselves with God helps to make up for their lack of electoral legitimacy.

This causes a particular problem in combating the ideology of groups such as Isis because most Arab states – including several members of the military coalition against it – share Isis’s approach to compulsion in religion. Isis may be more brutal in practice but, basically, they are on the same ground – asserting the superiority of Islam and the legitimacy of religious discrimination.

Isis’s readiness to execute people for their beliefs has parallels in six Arab countries – Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, the UAE and Yemen – where apostasy is a crime and in theory the death penalty can apply. Curiously, though, they seem reluctant to enforce it. No recent executions for apostasy have been reported in any of them and in Saudi Arabia there have been none for well over 20 years, according to the US state department.

On the rare occasions when an execution for apostasy becomes a possibility, these countries usually resort to avoidance mechanisms.

In 1996, for example, the authorities in Kuwait were confronted with their first apostasy case since independence when Hussein Ali Qambar, a Shia Muslim, converted to evangelical Christianity and adopted “Robert” as his first name. Qambar had separated from his wife and his conversion came to light during a court case about custody of their children. In accordance with Islamic custom, efforts were made to persuade him to recant – but to no avail. Islamists then began agitating and filing lawsuits seeking to have him condemned for apostasy.

The case went to court and a judge recommended the death penalty. This put the Kuwaiti authorities on the spot, since there was no doubt (in sharia terms) that Qambar was an apostate. Looking for a way to defuse the situation, they issued him with a passport and allowed him to quietly leave the country.

A similar case arose in Yemen in 2000 when Mohammed Omer Haji, a Somali refugee who had converted from Islam to Christianity, was arrested and charged with apostasy. Once again, there were behind-the-scenes activities to avert his execution, which ended with him being granted emergency resettlement in New Zealand with his wife and son.

More recently in Sudan, Meriam Ibrahim was convicted of apostasy and sentenced to death. In the absence of her Muslim father, Ibrahim had been raised by her mother as a Christian but in Sudan, under Islamic law, children inherit the religion of their father and so Ibrahim was officially classified as a Muslim. This meant she was technically an apostate, having supposedly abandoned Islam for Christianity.

Following much international pressure, an appeal court overturned her death sentence. She was released from jail and, as with the Kuwaiti and Yemeni cases, eventually allowed to leave the country.

These countries are essentially trying to have it both ways. They don’t want to execute anyone for apostasy because they know there would be an international outcry, but they also fear the reaction from religious elements if they try to abolish the death penalty.

This kind of fudging and fence-sitting has served them quite well until now, but with the growth of religious intolerance and the spread of sectarian-related conflicts in various parts of the region it is becoming less and less tenable. So long as they shy away from a clear commitment to freedom of belief, their stance helps to legitimise the actions of groups such as Isis. At some point soon they will have to decide whether they want to be part of the problem or part of the solution.

And an attack on the article on Twitter by an idiot Marxist: https://mobile.twitter.com/PhilGreaves01/status/527413916385968128
    Disgusting concealed Orientalism & racism from @Brian_Whit in the Guardian.. theguardian.com/commentisfree/…

Reply #14 - October 29, 2014, 03:20 PM

spot on article by Brian Whitaker. I'm actually surprised the Guardian published it.

God is Love.

Reply #15 - October 29, 2014, 03:48 PM

well that book heading is STUPPID.. Arab Muslims knows that there is NO GOD....

Arabs without Allah would have made more impact than "Arabs Without God"

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #16 - October 29, 2014, 05:17 PM

What the author quotes as a common Arab reason for apostasy, played a large part in helping me to lose my religion also. There were other reasons, including scientific ones, plus the craziness, creepiness and crapiness of Mo. But this was central for me I think:

'This also links in with the question of why an omniscient God would create flawed human beings and then subject them to a test for which He allegedly already knows the outcome.'

Hi
     Reply #17 - October 29, 2014, 05:31 PM

spot on article by Brian Whitaker. I'm actually surprised the Guardian published it.

He used to be their Middle East editor, so if anyone can get an article into the Guardian it should be him.
     Reply #18 - November 18, 2014, 04:52 PM

Kickstarter campaign to get this translated into Arabic

Project to translate the book, "Arabs Without God", into Arabic

"Arabs Without God" is the first book to look at atheism in the contemporary Middle East. It examines why a growing number of Arabs are abandoning religion, and the persecution they can face as a result. The book discusses Arab atheism in the broader context of restrictions on religious freedom, such as laws against apostasy and blasphemy, which can result in the punishment of believers and non-believers alike.

The importance of establishing freedom of belief as a basic principle in the Middle East cannot be underestimated, especially in the light of organisations like ISIS and the spread of sectarian politics more generally. In connection with that, Arabs Without God is a useful tool for activists in the region: it contains a lot of ideas and information that campaigners for religious freedom can make use of.

The purpose of this project is to fund a translation of "Arabs Without God" into Arabic, and to make the Arabic version available on the internet for downloading and circulating free of charge.

Publishing the translation in this way means that almost any Arabic speaker who wishes to read the book will be able to access it. Commercial distribution of books in the Arab countries is often difficult, particularly with a book of this kind dealing with a sensitive topic which is still taboo in much of the region. Publishing on the internet will thus largely overcome the problem of censorship and other restrictions.

More information about the English edition of the book can be found here:

http://www.al-bab.com/arabswithoutgod/

There is also an extract from the book here:

http://www.al-bab.com/blog/2014/september/arabs-without-god-extract.htm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081879383/arabs-without-god
     Reply #19 - November 18, 2014, 05:30 PM

^
    http://www.al-bab.com/blog/2014/november/arabs-without-god-arabic-edition.htm
    Since my book, Arabs Without God, was published a couple of months ago, people have been asking about an Arabic edition. There is clearly a demand for it but there are also a few problems too.

The main problem with books in the Arab countries is getting them distributed. There aren't many good bookshops or public libraries, and ordering books through the mail from Amazon is also difficult if you happen to live in the Middle East. Added to that is the continuing threat of government censorship. These difficulties are compounded with a book like Arabs Without God, dealing as it does with a sensitive and somewhat taboo subject.

Fortunately, though, there's a fairly simple solution: by making the whole book available online, where anyone who is interested can download it free of charge, share it with friends and, if they wish, print out their own copy.

Even better would be to provide the text in Arabic rather than English – which would make it accessible to far more people in the region.

Arabs Without God is the first book to look at atheism in the contemporary Middle East. It examines why a growing number of Arabs are abandoning religion, and the persecution they can face as a result. The book does not directly advocate atheism but supports the right of Arab atheists to disbelieve and not to be compelled to pretend otherwise.

The book also discusses Arab atheism in the broader context of restrictions on religious freedom, such as laws against apostasy and blasphemy, which can result in the punishment of believers and non-believers alike.

The importance of establishing freedom of belief as a basic principle in the Middle East cannot be underestimated, especially in the light of organisations like ISIS and the spread of sectarian politics more generally. In connection with that, Arabs Without God is a useful tool for activists in the region: it contains a lot of ideas and information that campaigners for religious freedom can make use of.

However, producing a good-quality Arabic translation of the book will cost money – which is why I have launched an appeal for funds through Kickstarter. I have estimated the total cost at £4,600 ($6,200). The vast bulk of this will be to pay the translator (the book is 75,000 words including footnotes), plus smaller amounts to cover Kickstarter's administration charges and "rewards" for larger donors (T-shirts and signed copies of the book's English edition).

The Arabic edition will be published under a Creative Commons licence and I will not be taking any royalties for it (I will make do with royalties from the English edition).

There is a 30-day window for raising the funds. If the £4,600 target is not reached within the time limit donors will keep their money.

If you think this is a worthwhile project please contribute. Tell your friends and urge them to contribute too.

Reply #20 - November 18, 2014, 07:36 PM

Awesome find.  Afro

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #21 - November 21, 2014, 04:03 PM

Translating 'Arabs without God' - a challenge for linguists
     Reply #22 - November 25, 2014, 01:19 PM

Interview with Brian Whitaker:

What does it mean to be an Arab atheist?
     Reply #23 - November 25, 2014, 03:21 PM

Translating 'Arabs without God' - a challenge for linguists

I would have thought that Brian Whitaker would speak Arabic himself, seeing as his research interests are in the Arab World.
     Reply #24 - November 25, 2014, 04:31 PM

He does - but generally people translate from a foreign language to their native language. It's very hard to do it the other way to a standard you could publish. In this case he's asking native Arabic speakers for advice on the choice of a translation for the title.
    I have become involved in discussions about the translation itself. Non-linguists often imagine that translating is a mechanical process – replacing words in one language with their equivalent in another – but it's rarely as simple as that. It is possible to have more than one "correct" translation of a given phrase or sentence, and deciding which translation is better often boils down to a matter of opinion.

One example of this is how to translate the book's title, "Arabs Without God". I have already had five different suggestions from native Arabic speakers.

[...follow link for the Arabic...]

The five options suggested so far for an Arabic title are:

"Arabs without God/Allah." This might be misunderstood as referring specifically to Islam (though Arab Christians do refer to God as "Allah" too).

"Arabs without god." Less specific – indicates "god" with a small g.

"Arabs without a lord." The word "lord" (rabb in Arabic) is used in the Qur'an to refer to God.

"Arabs without religion."

"Arabs and atheism." This is furthest away from a literal translation of the English title, but it could be argued that it captures the main theme of the book. The secondary theme – freedom of belief – could be covered, as it is in English, in the subtitle.

However, one translator has cautioned me against using "atheism" (ilhad) in the title, saying it has "too many negative connotations" in Arabic. I'm still unsure about this and would like to hear what others think.

I should perhaps point out that "atheism"/"atheist" has previously been used in Arabic book titles. In the 1930s, an Egyptian named Ismail Adham wrote a book, Limadha ana Mulhid? ("Why am I an Atheist?"), which was banned by al-Azhar. Much more recently, a book was published in Egypt with the single word Ilhad ("Atheism") as its main title.

Anyway, opinions about this from Arabic speakers are welcome (post them in the comments thread below).

Reply #25 - November 25, 2014, 05:28 PM

generally people translate from a foreign language to their native language. It's very hard to do it the other way to a standard you could publish.

Hear hear (sez someone who has done a little French-English translation, but would never dream of doing it the other way round).
     Reply #26 - December 09, 2014, 05:48 PM

couple of reviews

http://www.irtiqa-blog.com/2014/12/a-new-book-on-atheism-in-middle-east.html

http://muftah.org/book-review-arabs-without-god-atheism-freedom-belief-middle-east-brian-whitaker/#.VIcmTjv0Eq7

Reply #27 - December 16, 2014, 08:14 PM

Oh dear, looks like he is still a couple grand short of his funding goal and there is only 35 hours left.

I contributed something, but apparently if he doesn't meet his goal, then all funds will be refunded. It will be a shame if he loses out on everything he has collected so far.
     Reply #28 - December 17, 2014, 08:14 AM

Yeah it's quite a shame if it doesn't meet the target, but I don't see how the money can be raised with just a few more hours to go :(

Reply #29 - December 18, 2014, 03:18 PM

It did not meet the target. So I got refunded my contribution.

If I was Whitaker, I would have just funded the remaining 2 grand out of my own pocket, just to insure that the other 2 grand was not lost. Or else created the campaign on different website that does not have such a strict and short timeline.

I feel like I should have done more to promote it on Atheist facebook pages and stuff.  Cry Oh well too late now.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »