Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Decided today to leave Islam

(Read 6806 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Decided today to leave Islam
     OP - August 20, 2014, 07:06 PM

Hi,  my name is yasmin, i was a convert to islam. i decided yesterday that i would no longer be a muslim, and i feel over the fucking moon. as of yet i have not told anyone, certainly not my husband, but i know this for the best.

my husband is also convert and we were married to each other before converting, he converted one year before me. Unlike my husband though i never felt totally at ease with islam. in fact from the very minute of my conversion i felt an overwhelming sense of dread. i know that sounds dramatic but i was suffering from severe untreated depression at the time. since my conversion i have had what my husbnd and i referred to as my 'islamic wabble' where i would start having all these doubts and questions regarding islam like, why was the quran compiled after the death of muhammad, why can we not listen to music, what is the deal with the raping of concubines etc... the list could go on and on.  Anyhoo, during my last islamic wabble which was apporx 6 months ago i was ready to leave and in fact i told my husband that i could no longer be a muslim. after much heart ache and talking my husband agreed that he would accept this and that he wanted us to still be married. However during this period i was diagnosed with bipolar 2 disorder and i was confused about whether what i was feeling regarding islam was real, so i decided to carry on for another 6 months trying to practise. I failed miserabley at this and so when the 6 months was up and i felt no different i knew it was time to renounce islam. i think the only reason it has taken so long, is because i kept telling myself that i felt this way because i was depressed or that i would always fell like this no matter what religion i was following, and this might be true indeed, what i have come to realise though is that it does not make it any less valid. i always have and always will feel profoundly uncomfortable with islam.
    At the moment i am content to sit with my decision and not tell my husband, not becasue i want to decieve him or that i am scared. i am just happy to experience it on my own for a while, and let the decision sink in and become real for me rather than anyone else. I trust myself to know when the time will be right( i hope) to tell my husband.
     Reply #1 - August 20, 2014, 07:14 PM

Hi Yasmin, welcome to the forum Smiley

Do you think your husband may be having doubts himself?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - August 20, 2014, 07:15 PM

Welcome, yasmin  parrot

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #3 - August 20, 2014, 07:22 PM

Welcome aboard matey!  bunny
     Reply #4 - August 20, 2014, 07:56 PM

Welcome  Smiley

At the moment i am content to sit with my decision and not tell my husband, not becasue i want to decieve him or that i am scared. i am just happy to experience it on my own for a while, and let the decision sink in and become real for me rather than anyone else. I trust myself to know when the time will be right( i hope) to tell my husband.

I think that's wise. I hope things work out for you.

'islamic wabble'

Do you mean wobble?

Like "Mrs Wobble the Waitress"  grin12

Reply #5 - August 20, 2014, 08:06 PM

Welcome, Yasmin! Best of luck to you. You are among people who know what it's like.  Enjoy your time here! parrot  bunny
     Reply #6 - August 20, 2014, 08:09 PM

Welcome parrot

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #7 - August 20, 2014, 08:38 PM

And another from me. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - August 20, 2014, 08:59 PM

Hi and welcome yasmin  bunny
     Reply #9 - August 20, 2014, 09:51 PM

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #10 - August 20, 2014, 11:05 PM

Punk

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #11 - August 20, 2014, 11:36 PM

Welcome to the forum yasmin, have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #12 - August 21, 2014, 01:36 AM

Welcome to the club! And here's to a very bright future away from the mental shackles of Islam!  parrot
     Reply #13 - August 21, 2014, 01:39 AM

Hi,  my name is yasmin, i was a convert to islam. i decided yesterday that i would no longer be a muslim, and i feel over the fucking moon. as of yet i have not told anyone, certainly not my husband, but i know this for the best.

my husband is also convert and we were married to each other before converting, he converted one year before me. Unlike my husband though i never felt totally at ease with islam. in fact from the very minute of my conversion i felt an overwhelming sense of dread. i know that sounds dramatic but i was suffering from severe untreated depression at the time. since my conversion i have had what my husbnd and i referred to as my 'islamic wabble' where i would start having all these doubts and questions regarding islam like, why was the quran compiled after the death of muhammad, why can we not listen to music, what is the deal with the raping of concubines etc... the list could go on and on.  Anyhoo, during my last islamic wabble which was apporx 6 months ago i was ready to leave and in fact i told my husband that i could no longer be a muslim. after much heart ache and talking my husband agreed that he would accept this and that he wanted us to still be married. However during this period i was diagnosed with bipolar 2 disorder and i was confused about whether what i was feeling regarding islam was real, so i decided to carry on for another 6 months trying to practise. I failed miserabley at this and so when the 6 months was up and i felt no different i knew it was time to renounce islam. i think the only reason it has taken so long, is because i kept telling myself that i felt this way because i was depressed or that i would always fell like this no matter what religion i was following, and this might be true indeed, what i have come to realise though is that it does not make it any less valid. i always have and always will feel profoundly uncomfortable with islam.

Perhaps you would feel like this about any religion because you know none of them really make any sense at all.
    Welcome! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #14 - August 22, 2014, 07:32 AM

hi thanks for the warm welcome everyone. In answer to someone's earlier question, I meant 'wobble' as in unsure, having doubts.
    In answer to Billy's question, yes I do think my husband is having doubts, but he will not tell me about them any more as he thinks it encourages me. lol
    Last year when those lunatics beheaded Lee Rigby, my husband almost left Islam, he was away at the time on business and was extremely disturbed by this event as you can imagine. He rang me up and talked openly about how we could leave islam and what we would do. He then rang his brother, who bizarrely convinced him that this should not effect his decision, i literally could have throttled him and so our chance as a family of a normal life free of the shackles and ridiculous rules was gone. I was devastated. I know it sounds callous, but i think i can slowly convince him to leave. I am definitely going to try anyway, we have two small children and the thought of them growing up muslim terrifies me.
     Reply #15 - August 22, 2014, 12:01 PM

parrot

Take things very carefully and gently.  Maybe just create a life with your husband and children in which islam has less and less role and then you wake up one day and it is all gone?

Playing, laughing, music, art, learning, exploring, enjoying the sun the wind and the rain.  Living, chillin?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #16 - August 22, 2014, 12:06 PM

hi thanks for the warm welcome everyone. In answer to someone's earlier question, I meant 'wobble' as in unsure, having doubts.
    In answer to Billy's question, yes I do think my husband is having doubts, but he will not tell me about them any more as he thinks it encourages me. lol
    Last year when those lunatics beheaded Lee Rigby, my husband almost left Islam, he was away at the time on business and was extremely disturbed by this event as you can imagine. He rang me up and talked openly about how we could leave islam and what we would do. He then rang his brother, who bizarrely convinced him that this should not effect his decision, i literally could have throttled him and so our chance as a family of a normal life free of the shackles and ridiculous rules was gone. I was devastated. I know it sounds callous, but i think i can slowly convince him to leave. I am definitely going to try anyway, we have two small children and the thought of them growing up muslim terrifies me.

I'm so glad you found us and are part of our forum. I feel sure you will overcome this, your husband may even be wondering if you are having doubts, and how to raise this with you? May I ask, how did you end up converting, as a couple? Usually people seem to convert individually and then meet other converts or get married to a Muslim (or convert in order to get married)

God is Love.

Reply #17 - August 22, 2014, 07:07 PM

Basically my husband had an existential crisis as he approached his 40 birthday, he investigated a few religions and i think islam just made sense to him. He had spent a lot of time travelling in morocco as a young man and he had many positive interactions with muslims, i also think his strong sociological feelings towards the outsider, the discriminated also played a part.  for instance he has always felt incredibly strongly about the slavery that occurred in america and studied history and politics at uni. So this allowed him to legitimately belong to a discriminated group.
    I hope this makes sense.
    I didn't convert until a year later after the birth of our son, I was experiencing extreme post natal depression and I would literally have done anything to feel better. I thought converting would do this, it did not.

Looking back I could kick myself now, when he started talking about islam i encouraged him. I really wish i had not. hindsight eh, its bloody wonderful.

Reply #18 - August 22, 2014, 07:22 PM

Welcome to the forum Yasmin.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #19 - August 25, 2014, 10:55 AM

Basically my husband had an existential crisis as he approached his 40 birthday, he investigated a few religions and i think islam just made sense to him. He had spent a lot of time travelling in morocco as a young man and he had many positive interactions with muslims, i also think his strong sociological feelings towards the outsider, the discriminated also played a part.  for instance he has always felt incredibly strongly about the slavery that occurred in america and studied history and politics at uni. So this allowed him to legitimately belong to a discriminated group.
    I hope this makes sense.
    I didn't convert until a year later after the birth of our son, I was experiencing extreme post natal depression and I would literally have done anything to feel better. I thought converting would do this, it did not.

Looking back I could kick myself now, when he started talking about islam i encouraged him. I really wish i had not. hindsight eh, its bloody wonderful.

It makes great sense. Have seen people convert for the reasons you mentioned, particularly the opportunity to make themselves feel like part of an oppressed group.

Its remarkable how Muslims have completely successfully whitewashed the history of Islamic slavery from the consciousness of the world. Maybe you could raise that issue with your husband?

God is Love.

Reply #20 - August 25, 2014, 11:25 AM

Welcome!
     Reply #21 - August 30, 2014, 09:01 AM

Welcome to the forum.
    Take care,
    Best wishes
    Smiley  Smiley   Smiley

Every true faith is infallible. It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search - Neitchze
     Reply #22 - September 07, 2014, 06:19 PM

Welcome! parrot  Sincerely hope all works out xo

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #23 - September 27, 2014, 06:57 PM

Great news!

And very interesting. I've always believed that most people who convert to Islam, do so because they are seeking a change in their life. Often a radical one.

Normally there are a lot of underlying emotional issues, or maybe they just want to find a purpose to living.

You don't need to doubt yourself. Stay strong!

Reply #24 - September 27, 2014, 07:19 PM

I wish you all the best!
    Well I think you still can do some charitable works, like Islamic teachers teach Muslim newbies to do.
    I think both of you and your hubby are not comfortable with many Islamic teachings. I hope he'd leave Islam too.

Religions + Politics = Problem
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »