Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Tell me if I need a reality check here

(Read 4740 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Tell me if I need a reality check here
     OP - August 19, 2014, 03:53 PM

I'm getting more and more uncomfortable with where my views are heading. I was a fairly typical leftish secular Muslim all my life, not religious but pretty respectful towards the religion and generally defending both Islam and Muslims when under attack. But these last couple of years I've shifted quite a lot and I'd appreciate your views on if/how I'm going wrong here. I'll try to summarize my thinking, let's just limit it to UK/ Europe for now:

- There's a massive problem with Muslims minorities in pretty much every sphere: education, crime of every kind, terrorism, separatism, supremacism, anti-secularism, anti-liberalism, anti-intellectualism and almost any other problem you could mention
    - This problem was NOT mainly caused by racism or intolerance. Almost every other minority is fine or moving the right way. In fact, the problem is to do with Muslims themselves - their attitudes, beliefs, culture and, most importantly, religion
    - I'm not saying Muslims are intrinsically bad people - they are the same as anyone else of course - but that the religion and culture surrounding it makes it almost impossible for them to integrate or develop as humans and as communities beyond a very low ceiling.
    - Even worse, it puts them on a direct collision course with the host country if it is a secular liberal country, since Islam seeks dominance and will not stop until it has attained it
    - All the trends in Muslim attitudes are in the WRONG direction - they are getting worse in every way, not least even failing to admit there is any problem at all
    - On top of that we have demographic trends which mean Muslims will be 20% of the population within 15 years, and the majority in a number of cities, and that trend will continue. What will it be like in 2050, 2070?
    - Muslims are already starting to take political power. I doubt Bradford, for instance, will ever be controlled again by a non-Muslim-appeasing MP, and this trend will continue. Add to that separate schools, legal systems, media sources, 'white flight' from ghettoes and all the rest of it
    - At some point the very basis of secularism and liberalism will be under threat, in fact that point is arguably already been reached
    - The question for the UK and Europe is when and how to stop this if they want to keep secular liberalism. And with the way things are going, I am seeing us move further and further way from that
    - I can not think of one country that has integrated a large and growing population of Muslims successfully without either a) an insurgency of some kind (Thailand, Nigeria etc), b) separation of a region (Pakistan, Kosovo etc) or c) Outright Muslim takeover
    - I see no evidence that Muslims have changed their overall objective and see no sign that any of the negative trends are reversing; rather, they are accelerating
    - I see or hear virtually no-one discussing this. If a white person does they usually are labelled 'extreme right', and in many cases are often ignorant racists, but in others I am beginning to think they have a point and, more than that, are correct
    - As a brown leftish Muslim its very uncomfortable to find yourself agreeing with Geert Wilders and Robert Spencer....but actually I think I do, more and more, and all i can think about is what the non-Muslims should do to resist this.

So...can anyone tell me if I've got all this completely wrong? And if so how? Of course I generalise a lot when I use terms like 'Muslims' - I know there are many shades, but the large (and growing) majority fit my broad generalisation. And i know all kinds of trends can change and reverse, so extrapolation is an inexact science. But from where we are today, if things continue as they are, am I broadly correct? What do you guys think?

Reply #1 - August 19, 2014, 04:09 PM

Just want to point out that Kosovo had little to do with religion, and way more with ethnicity and nationalism. Albanians get along just fine whether they are Muslim or Catholic, but a lot of non Albanian Muslims were forced out of Kosovo because of harrassment. But then you have fucking Saudi Arabia pumping their Salafi poison the last decade or so...

Anyway...

There's a middle road to take here. Spencer and Wilders are racist bigots, they would see you just as a mascot. "Look, we're not racist we've embraced this brown person". None of them would want you to marry their daughter. There are problems within Muslim communities, and a lot has to do with certain elements of their beliefs and culture. Things aren't that simple, though. For example, I would be classed as a "white person", even though I'm darker in hair and complexion than Swedes in general and come from a very different cultural background. My name is somewhat "foreign". My mother is a lot fairer, but she changed her last name to a more "Swedish sounding" 10 years ago. She said the difference in treatment from other people as well as hospitals, schools etc was so big that, she said that she had gone through life being discriminated big time without even knowing it. Get my point? Typing from phone and my mind is butchered today...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #2 - August 19, 2014, 04:14 PM

Cornflower

I get the fact that there are multiple nuances here, and believe me i've no illusions about the racist right. But to the fundamental question - do you think Muslim minorities will be able to live peacefully in a secular liberal Britain once they become a certain proportion of the population?
     Reply #3 - August 19, 2014, 04:16 PM

As a brown leftish Muslim its very uncomfortable to find yourself agreeing with Geert Wilders and Robert Spencer

How are you agreeing with them? Unless you're supporting collective responsibility on all Muslims for the extremism manifested by some (not insignificantly minority) Muslims, you're not in agreement with them.

They are loud, but they are not the only ones opposing Islamist extremism, literalism etc. Its true that the cultural relativist Left, and the far-left are in denial about this issue, but most people in the centre of politics acknowledge the issues are real, if differing on how to approach it and oppose it. Including some genuinely moderate Muslims who are beginning to find their voice.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #4 - August 19, 2014, 04:24 PM

When you're starting to sound like Melanie Phillips, then you should take a long hard look at yourself and start deconstructing some of the myths that you've swallowed.

Most muslims are not especially ideological, supremacist or have any objective in mind other than making a decent life for themselves and their families; there are also an awful lot of muslims who aren't even remotely religious.

Quite how a minority which forms, at most, some 5% of the population ( and that proportion is likely to decline as the effects of East European immigration since 2004 feed through into the 2021 & 2031 censuses ) will quadruple over the next two decades mystifies me - it strikes me as a re-hash of falsified 1990's Eurabia nonsense  - as it defies mathematical reality.
     Reply #5 - August 19, 2014, 04:36 PM

Billy

I agree with them that Islam is uniquely problematic, more than any other religion, and that many, maybe even the majority of Muslims, fundamentally disagree with the basic values of European society i.e. the nation-state, liberalism, secularism, freedom of conscience etc, and that many of those who say they agree with them in Pew Surveys won't actually stand up for them if it came down to it, as they would see that as disloyal.  So I agree with them on the problem, if you like. What the solution is I honestly don't know, but I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.

I know that there are the Maajid Nawaaz's etc of the world, but I see them as representing a tiny minority of Muslims. Maybe growing, but tiny.

So somewhere in your answer is an assumption that there IS a way to control and oppose the problem?

Reply #6 - August 19, 2014, 04:47 PM

Josephus

That's what the (admittedly few) people I speak to about this tend to say "You sound like Melanie Phillips or x or y or z", an ad hominem attack.

I agree most Muslims just want a quiet life, but this can be a double edged sword: they may condemn 'extremism' but don't actively oppose it, because they feel uncomfortable criticizing someone more religious than them.

You maybe right on the population stats...I can't find that number now so I guess it's wrong.

Reply #7 - August 19, 2014, 05:00 PM

Can't really compare a well established european country such as the UK  to an unstable third, second world country like nigeria, pakistan, etc, we are in no danger of being taken over it's just scare mongering.  I haven't mingled in a british islamic community for a long time but old friends still there say Islam is very watered down.
     Reply #8 - August 19, 2014, 05:01 PM

So somewhere in your answer is an assumption that there IS a way to control and oppose the problem?

Support secularism on the basis of universal rights. Break the silence over the apostasy codes. Lobby against any kind of special privileges for Islam in society. Highlight and expose relentlessly the ideas and beliefs of reactionary Islam in all its forms.

We are as hindered in doing this by the cultural relativist Left as by the bigotry of the nationalist Right. But progress has never been easy. It can be done. I really believe that most people are on the side of secularism, individual liberty, against religious privilege and against communalist identity politics. The tide is turning in our favour, people are awake, just need to guide them and support secularism.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - August 19, 2014, 09:54 PM

What Billy said. Basically, don't allow religious privilege to become entrenched. TBH I find myself wondering about Australia. Over here Muslims are around 2% of the population (last figure I heard) and really that sounds a good level. At that level they have little real influence, and basically just have to fit in with everyone else. If Muslims were 20% of the population I'm pretty sure things would be worse in some ways, simply because I cannot think of a single example anywhere in the world where more Islam has led to better results. It always seems to lead to worse results. Maybe not catastrophically bad results, but just chewing away bit by bit in certain areas.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #10 - August 20, 2014, 11:12 AM

Isn't everything about interactions and co-evolution though?  What is someone within a group who are allegedly ok at 2% but not 20% to do?

Is there a core issue here or not?

And what precisely is it?  Is it beliefs, attitudes to education, attitudes to women?

Isn't Singapore Muslim, with one of the best education systems on the planet?

Are Sunnis or Shias or specific beliefs more of an issue?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #11 - August 20, 2014, 11:29 AM

That's what the (admittedly few) people I speak to about this tend to say "You sound like Melanie Phillips or x or y or z", an ad hominem attack.

Making a comparison between your rhetoric, as expressed in your post, and the, in my view, absurd rhetoric of the Eurabia fantasists, of whom Melanie Phillips is the pertinent UK exemplar, is not an ad hominem attack.
     Reply #12 - August 20, 2014, 11:35 AM

Isn't Singapore Muslim, with one of the best education systems on the planet?

Given that Muslims constitute about 14% of the Singaporean population, I think that we can emphatically discount that; Singapore is a secular and somewhat rigidly authoritarian city-state with a diverse ethnic and religious make-up.

Reply #13 - August 20, 2014, 01:22 PM

Im at the moment a bit too lazy, but I made a thread about this man
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27085.msg775987#msg775987
    who's the reason that this forum exist(am I wrong?). He started out as a person calling himself a humanist and ran the largest ex muslim site online...anyways all that thinking about muzzie business got to his head I guess. He serves as a cautionary tale around here.
     Reply #14 - August 20, 2014, 01:27 PM

Im at the moment a bit too lazy, but I made a thread about this man  who's the reason that this forum exist(am I wrong?).  ...

what is new in that Skywalker?   you are always WRONG and LAZY...  Cheesy

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #15 - August 20, 2014, 01:31 PM

Hmm, I thought that they created this forum after Sina went rogue.... are you sir telling me thats not accurate Huh?
     Reply #16 - August 20, 2014, 01:36 PM

Hmm, I thought that they created this forum after Sina went rogue.... are you sir telling me thats not accurate Huh?

Sir,,,,SIRRRRRRR.. where did you get that from Skywalker? I never saw you in my class  Cheesy

Anyways CEMB is very unique unlike FFI    and that is not really true that this forum was created  after Sina went rogue.   He is a bit rigid guy   and that forum has more diverse folks  than this  one.

Every one have their own ways of expressing their views on a given topic and Ali has his own views,., On some he will agree and on some he may disagree with  what folks write here..

Reply #17 - August 20, 2014, 01:45 PM

I demand trial by mods!
     Reply #18 - August 20, 2014, 01:58 PM

What would a monty python version of that look like?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

Reply #19 - August 20, 2014, 02:08 PM

The Bridge of Death.
     Reply #20 - August 20, 2014, 03:21 PM

josephus,

Can you clarify precisely what you think is absurd: Is it the idea that Muslim population growth is likely to continue? Or is it that such population growth, if it does happen, will be a problem?
     Reply #21 - August 20, 2014, 03:28 PM

billy/osmanthus

Totally agree - we need to shore up secularism. And that, to the extent I do anything about this, is what I try to do. Problem is, with the exception of Maajid Nawaaz, who seems primarily to be followed by non-Muslims and appears ignored or disliked by most Muslims, I don't see any Muslim leaders robustly defending secularism. Rather, they subtley attack it or undermine it by supporting "religious rights" (Cf Warsi, Hasan, Masroor and all the rest of them). And that's before you think about the more extreme ones.

So my concern is very few Muslims appear vocally supportive of secularism, and very many seem vocally against it. Same with liberalism, and basic liberal values such as freedom of conscience, speech, feminism etc etc. They only seem relevant when it helps the advancement of Islam and are disposed of at any other time.

The relativist left is a problem for sure too; but I suspect some of them will come on board over time. That still leaves the question of the Muslim  population and general pandering to them. We seem perilously close to a de facto blasphemy law (against Islam only), and I wonder how soon it will be before we see attacks on secular humanist, not to mention ex-Muslim, organisations and conferences.

This kind of thing really worries me too, that it could happen at Oxford University among the very elite of Muslims in UK is just scary. The closed mindedness is incredible.

https://richarddawkins.net/2014/08/a-hundred-walked-out-of-my-lecture/

So the question is what, if anything, could make this trend change? Because the difference between 2% and 20% is BIG - remember only about 20% were enough to carve out Pakistan from India, which (even though I'm originally Pakistani), I view as one of the greatest tragic mistakes of recent history, and I hope we never see a country dismembered in that way again to create some bullshit Islamic failure of a state

Reply #22 - August 20, 2014, 03:32 PM

Moi

To me, when I look around the world and through history, the core issue is the Muslim desire for separation and power, the two desires working often in parallel to destroy the host community. This happened right from the start, in Mecca I mean, and the pattern has broadly repeated, fractal-style, across time and space since then.

Again, unless I'm totally missing something here  Huh?

Reply #23 - August 20, 2014, 03:46 PM

billy/osmanthus

Totally agree - we need to shore up secularism. And that, to the extent I do anything about this, is what I try to do.

https://richarddawkins.net/2014/08/a-hundred-walked-out-of-my-lecture/  

Well secularism will not survive and come out of the blues when there is   only one  religion/religious view  dominates with-in   the family..... NO. zebras.. not respecting every religious GOOD FESTIVITIES ,with-in the village, with-in the town and with-in the country. And on top of that if we teach lies through School text books  then forget secularism, what we will have is Baboons roaming on the street preaching religious rubbish and  making   ho..ho..ho. allalallal noise..  

but that is great article to read avalanche...  every one should read that  Sue Blackmore's artcle..

Reply #24 - August 20, 2014, 04:37 PM

[Periander] had sent a herald to Thrasybulus and inquired in what way he would best and most safely govern his city. Thrasybulus led the man who had come from Periander outside the town, and entered into a sown field. As he walked through the wheat, continually asking why the messenger had come to him from Cypselus, he kept cutting off all the tallest ears of wheat which he could see, and throwing them away, until he had destroyed the best and richest part of the crop. Then, after passing through the place and speaking no word of counsel, he sent the herald away. When the herald returned to Cypselus, Periander desired to hear what counsel he brought, but the man said that Thrasybulus had given him none. The herald added that it was a strange man to whom he had been sent, a madman and a destroyer of his own possessions, telling Periander what he had seen Thrasybulus do. Periander, however, understood what had been done, and perceived that Thrasybulus had counselled him to slay those of his townsmen who were outstanding in influence or ability; with that he began to deal with his citizens in an evil manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Are we looking at a set of beliefs that for centuries now have practiced this? 

A.A. Milne,

Reply #25 - August 20, 2014, 05:01 PM

The bit of the Blackmore story that stays with me is this bit at the end: "Outside, some young Muslims were waiting for me. I was angrily told that I’d made them feel ignorant. "

So what's this - you are not allowed to know more than a Muslim now, otherwise they feel angry and have hurt feelings? University professors must defer to the Quran on matters of science otherwise the Muslim section walk out in protest?
     Reply #26 - August 20, 2014, 05:09 PM

.... - you are not allowed to know more than a Muslim now, otherwise they feel angry and have hurt feelings? University professors must defer to the Quran on matters of science otherwise the Muslim section walk out in protest?

No wonder London is generating Scoundrels out of those little kids  See how IDIOTS OF ISLAM IN LONDON trained in  that LONDON SCHOOL OF BABOONS  twist whole story  and blame  Prof. Hoodbhoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2AXpewRW2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0njkYqgFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0njkYqgFQ

Reply #27 - August 20, 2014, 05:18 PM

And to give another example of how this all works I just watched: the Islamist obsession with 'democracy' as evidence by Masroor on this video today:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyIvagRb9D4&feature=youtu.be

Basically, it means "demography will always win"...it means as long as we keep allowing ANYONE to come to the religion, NO-ONE to leave, and have more kids than anyone else, we will, in the long run, win. And all the evidence of the last 1400 years suggests they are right.

Maybe I should be a lot more sanguine about all this - after all eventually the sun destroys the Earth and none of it matters in the end - but the idea of my daughters or future generations of their kids walking around in a niqab makes me want to throw up...or cry, I'm not sure which.

One thing that made a big shift for me was living in Sudan a few years, and seeing the last remants of its indigenous culture poking through - the dishevelled Nubian pyramids, neglected ruined Coptic temples, a few whirling dervishes doing African-style sufi dancing watched by a few tourists and police protection, the ongoing bombing and attempted Islamisation of the Nubans (the latter about 50% complete), the genocide of the Darfuris who, even after conversion, were, being Black, still not good enough, the UNHCR people's stories of slave trading of Eritreans in the East, the middle class Copts running around hiding their alcohol at home in their historical land, the archaeologists barred from stating the ruins they found were 'Christian', intermarriage and polygamy demographically destroying the indigenous population along with the army so they end up cowering, isolated. And then I look at Pakistan and see them on the same track.  And Syria. And Iraq. And Lebanon next, no doubt.   And where next?

(Apologies, rant over!)

Reply #28 - August 20, 2014, 08:32 PM

The bit of the Blackmore story that stays with me is this bit at the end: "Outside, some young Muslims were waiting for me. I was angrily told that I’d made them feel ignorant. "

That is fucking incredible to me. You're supposed to be challenged and made to think of things you've never thought of before.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #29 - August 21, 2014, 10:25 AM

Avalanche

Both.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »